PDA

View Full Version : salt water vs fresh water

Whatboat
04-15-2002, 12:55 PM
Most of my boating is done in cold fresh water. My boat will be going to florida sometime this year. Will performance be affected in salt water, would a prop change help, if nessasary. Thanks

TriSum
04-15-2002, 08:19 PM
I've heard your boat will be faster in salt water, being that it is more buoyant, with all other conditions the same.

euby
04-16-2002, 07:34 AM
i had an increase of 3.5mph in the salt water. the boat seemed to reduce the wetted area in the salt and actually chine walked which doesn't occur in fresh water http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
makes sure you flush it real well after use...i actually stopped by my local lake and ran around for about 30 minutes to make sure i got all the salt out.

Thunderbutt
04-28-2002, 04:47 PM
I don't think the salt water makes the boat run better, but the added moisture will. I'm not sure about the Gulf water because it is warm. Did you ever notice when you hit a wave and the spray hits the intake of tha carbs you get a little boost. Originally posted by Whatboat:
Most of my boating is done in cold fresh water. My boat will be going to florida sometime this year. Will performance be affected in salt water, would a prop change help, if nessasary. Thanks