PDA

View Full Version : what's your first boating memory?

hoolign
05-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Mine was when I was around 5,my dads buddy was the captain of a passenger ferry in Vancouver and I got to steer the thing by myself..well,sorta

DogHouse
05-19-2003, 07:31 PM
Hanging out down at the dock at Cabrillo, "helping" dad with the sail boat.
Then, on the way to Catalina... http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/wuerg/vomit-smiley-015.gif
-brian :D

wntitall
05-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Sitting on my fathers lap, steering an old tri-hull with a 75 horse johnson!!!! smile_sp

Havasu Hangin'
05-19-2003, 07:45 PM
wntitall:
Sitting on my fathers lap...steering with a...johnson!You might consider therapy for that. http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused02.gif

hoolign
05-19-2003, 07:47 PM
It would take a very sick mind to misconstrude
a childhood memory...with sexual inuendo :D
[ May 19, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: hoolign ]

DickDanger
05-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately, one of my first boating memories was watching someone get killed about 20 feet away from me when I was 7. My dad had a very sweet drag boat (I am gonna post a pic of a young DD and his Dad in this thread) with a 427 BBC in it. My family, and many of their friends were at a beach on the Columbia. I had just met this woman that was a friend of my parents that day. This guy in a jet wanted to race my Dad, and he promptly got his ass waxed by the drag boat. He pulled up to the beach all pissed off, and there was another boat in front of his at a 90 degree angle. He apparently was very drunk, and proceed to slam the throttle on his boat, thinking that it was in reverse. It wasnt. I remember seeing this jet jump over the boat in front of it, and landing right on top of that woman that I had met. I can still see her legs sticking out from under the boat to this day. Dead on impact. I also remember the driver of the boat puking in the weeds after seeing the blood seep from under his boat and into the sand. However, aside from that, I DO have many great memories of being with my dad boating. In fact, he is coming down from Washington for the Classic Boat Beach Bash with me. -DD Out
DD and Dad, in 1976 or '77.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid62/p8d52692b67a6b84011bba314973bdcef/fc1d570d.jpg
[ May 19, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: DickDanger ]

Havasu Hangin'
05-19-2003, 07:49 PM
hoolign:
It would take a very sick mind to misconstrude
a childhood memory...with sexual inuendo I was talkin' about phisical therapy...those things are tough to steer...
What are you talkin' aboot? http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused46.gif

wntitall
05-19-2003, 07:51 PM
LMAO jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop wink

beyondhelpin
05-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Perch jerking with my Dad in a John Boat with a Mercury 9.9! To little to remember how old I was!

hoolign
05-19-2003, 07:55 PM
QUOTE]I was talkin' about phisical therapy...those things are tough to steer...
yeah....ok
What are you talkin' aboot? http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused46.gif
what's aboot?....oh you mean ..about..
c'mon now.. our language is'nt that different
c'ept maybe for you're "z" :D

FMluvswater
05-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Mine is very vague I may have been younger than 3 years old. I was with my uncles. Mostly just sensory memories of laughing, the smell of beer, cigarette smoke and motor oil. Everything was very loud and I was upset because the boat was going very fast and water was spraying in my eyes. It was a really cold, windy, choppy ride on big open water possibly Lake Superior. Thankfully I've since had more pleasant ride experiences. :)

Mandelon
05-19-2003, 09:20 PM
I went sailing with a friend of my dad's. I was worried cuz there was a tiny hole in the bow. It was some dumpy little rental sailboat. But I think I had fun....... :rolleyes:

HighRoller
05-19-2003, 09:23 PM
I remember the old tri-hull we had when I was a tot.Cool blue seats,split windshield,open bow with a 4 banger Volvo/Penta.I remember the driver/passenger seats had jump seats behind them that were connected and you could fold them down flat.We'd drive up the gorge,tie off to the shady side of a rock cliff and eat lunch.Then,like clockwork,my dad would fold down the driver side seat and go teets up!!!Next thing we knew he was sawin logs!!We'd jump in the water for a swim and after he woke up we'd head out again,I'll never forget to this day how nice it felt to be sheltered behing the windshield in the seat,the hot sun drying me out and just drift off to sleep while cruising along.My mom's got some pics of me passed out in the seat,pretty funny stuff!!Everything was right in the world,then for the last 30 years it's all gotten so complicated!!!

rvrkaosI
05-19-2003, 09:26 PM
My dad and I went to the Long Beach Boat show back in the late 70 early 80's every year. I remember seeing the glastrons, flatties, and outboard johnson displays. What a site. No big guns like offshore style back then, all tri hull and flatties.

91nordic29
05-20-2003, 06:55 AM
my parent having packed all of our camping stuff into my dad's glastron and it was so full that my sister and i had to sit in lawn chairs on top of all the stuff going across the lake, at night, from black meadow landing over to cattail cove which wasn't even a campground yet. as we got closer, my dad would cruise the shoreline yelling "ELMER!". when he heard someone yell back "CLYDE" we knew that we had found our uncle's camp site.

NoCal NoBoat
05-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Family camping on Lake Mendocino, NoCal near Ukiah, 1970 or there about. The hot boaters go to town for a steak, ask us wide-eyed youngsters to keep those eyes on their rides while they're parked in the lot. "We'll take you for a ride in the morning."
My cousin got the 80 mph e-ticket ride in a flat,
427 injected BBC. Due to rough water, my ride was slower, but I'll always remember "Slippery When Wet" - an early Sanger wood-deck hydro, blown 392 Chrysler.
The other boats were "Orange Crate", a beautiful
tangerine flat (we saw him a lot at Mendocino - he towed with a matching '60 something Corvette) and "Cum 2 Gether", a white flatbottom with a 460 Ford, tunnel ram.
Anybody remember these guys ? They made a wannabe boater and www.***boat.net (http://www.***boat.net) lurker out of me.
I've forgotten a lot of stuff in 30 years, but I can still hear that blower whine...

HBLavey
05-20-2003, 02:45 PM
I remember holding my Dad's boat at the launch ramp of Catherine's landing laughing at a guy who couldn't figure out why his boat was stuck to the trailer. His face turned red when I told him his transom straps were still tied down, I was only 6 or 7.

Boozer
05-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Lake Perris. I can't remember the year but I must have been no more then 7 or 8 years old at the time.
Parents decided to splurge and rent a pontoon for the day. I don't remember much about the day but I do remember watching a jet boat catch fire and blow up on the lake. Biggest mushroom cloud I have seen in person to this day. Up until recently that was the only time I had ever been on a boat with my parents. Now that I own my own boat that has changed.

Tom Foolery
05-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Riding in my parents 17' Schiada. I was 4, My mom would pack the boat for a week of camping on the lake. We would have so much stuff in the boat the bow our whole family would have to lean over the front of the dash to help it get out of the hole.
[ May 20, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Tom Foolery ]

Ziggy
05-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Driving, I guess it was more like steering an employees boat in Mission Bay, was maybe 8 back then. Owner of that boat still works for us.

bchbum
05-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Launching our Sears kit boat at Pierpoint Landing ,so we could go fishing at the kelp bed or at the water fall on the oil island . I now work right beside the oil island , can almost hit it with a rock . That boat was so fast to a kid with its 35 house engine

STV_Keith
05-22-2003, 07:25 AM
About 3yo or so, standing between my dads legs driving his 16' Powercraft at the lake that is now part of Tropical Park in Miami. Wierd how I can still remember the layout of the lake, where the rocks were, just about everything - all after 27+ years.

HavasuDreamin'
05-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Both around 5 years old or so. In the green and white Glastron Tri-Hull Bowrider down at Havasu and then in the Black Hondo Jet Boat out at Castaic. Good times. :cool:

TIMEBOMB
05-22-2003, 02:08 PM
Cruising Lake Powell in a 73 Starcraft,with a 85 mercury ob on the back.
Watching Game and Fish dive bomb the lake with 6-10 inch striped bass.
Standing on the land bridge between Wahweap and Warm Creek (the first time the lake level was raised high enough to cover it)
Watching a 16-18 foot suck boat(jet) sink up to the nose after a summer storm blew in and caused 3-4 foot white caps. (Boat took a few over the transom)
WOW I just realized how long ago that was, This post makes me feel real old now. Later,Gary
jawdrop jawdrop

MAXIMUS
05-22-2003, 04:04 PM
When I was 7 (1977)my older bro bought a southwind jet (black with silver metal flake) with a 460 tunnel ram dual quads bassets etc... We rode around canyon lake in that baby & I was on top of the world! :) :) Some times we would stay at the winners circle on the strip. Of course it was a 100 mile an hour boat & felt like 200 with the noisey headers & bouncy ride! :rolleyes: Damn... ignorance is bliss!!! Now a days you have to spend a lot more money to get the same injoyment that we used to get back then??? frown

iparky
05-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Had to be in the late sixties, launched at night at havasu springs i think, parents friend drove boat across the lake to some cabanas on the other side, watched my dad drive the car around on a dirt road. Remember the friend skiing on an old disk, and then going into black meadow for fuel the next day, this is all very sketchy on details I think I was about 5. :confused: I do remember that it was fun and still remember the cove behind our camp had a wood plank for a diving board into the lake, Too scared to jump off of. My son 12 now jumps off the high point of Cooper.

Mohavekid
05-22-2003, 06:48 PM
Late 60's.
Pulling into the Katherine's Landing camp ground in the middle of the night and being so excited about the whole thing I could never sleep.
At the time, my parents had a little 16 foot Glastron with a 65 HP Merc outboard. I was so envious of the guys in their flats and jets who would fire up at first light and go out and tear up the glass.
I'll never get over the sound of a healthy big block running thru headers. Sends chills up the spine.
Those were good times. Now I have a family of my own, and I hope my kids will have similar memories of their boating childhood.

cal***boat
05-22-2003, 07:51 PM
NoCal NoBoat:
Family camping on Lake Mendocino, NoCal near Ukiah, 1970 or there about. The hot boaters go to town for a steak, ask us wide-eyed youngsters to keep those eyes on their rides while they're parked in the lot. "We'll take you for a ride in the morning."
My cousin got the 80 mph e-ticket ride in a flat,
427 injected BBC. Due to rough water, my ride was slower, but I'll always remember "Slippery When Wet" - an early Sanger wood-deck hydro, blown 392 Chrysler.
The other boats were "Orange Crate", a beautiful
tangerine flat (we saw him a lot at Mendocino - he towed with a matching '60 something Corvette) and "Cum 2 Gether", a white flatbottom with a 460 Ford, tunnel ram.
Anybody remember these guys ? They made a wannabe boater and www.***boat.net (http://www.***boat.net) lurker out of me.
I've forgotten a lot of stuff in 30 years, but I can still hear that blower whine... I remember the Slippery When Wet hydro and the old Orange Crate boat.
Back in the early 70s we went to Mendocino all the time and over to Clearlake
A friend of mine by the name of Frank Hall had a Sanger Climax drag hydro from Petaluma (no name on the boat) with a blown & injected hemi.
There was also 2 other boats we took up thier by the names of Goofy Grape and Hot Chili both were Sanger flats.
THE GOOD OLE DAYS

Duck
05-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Learning to waterski at the Salton Sea in the early 60's behind a 16' cabin cruiser with a way small OB. I was hooked. Duckin fine memories.

Forkin' Crazy
05-22-2003, 09:59 PM
I was 4 or 5 and my Dad was teaching me how to drive. I was in an early 60's 3hp Johnson on an Arkansas Traveler jon boat. It took me a while to get the hang of it. That was in the late 60's. Boy if he could just see me now! :D
I have a Starcraft Super Sport that I am teaching my son (7 now) how to drive. He loves it! I still have an old 3hp Johnny and a jon boat I'll have to break out soon. :cool:

Phat_Kat
05-22-2003, 10:26 PM
my first memory is when I was 4 years old and my dad stuck me behind the wheel. It was quite an honor because my dad is very shakey with anyone besides himself or my uncle behind the wheel. I thought I was going fast and then my dad reached over and with one hand wipped the boat and flipped all the air under the boat. I went through a relatively tight turn and the boat just wipped sideways like a dune buggy then snapped right back the when I turn again it did it and roosted the crap out of the toolies. To this day all I can say is this is the best boat I have ever driven. :D Ladies and Gentlemen the origional Sleekcraft SST.
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/cow/DSC00014.JPG
That's my Dad in the background. I can never thank my Dad enough for introducing me to this sport along with others. I've grown to be one of the best drivers that most people have ever seen and I can not thank my Dad enough for giving me that, but I am even more thankful for being brought to boating. It's the most relaxing and enjoyable thing I can do. And no there's nothing wrong witht his wrist it's just my bad timing with the camera.
Thanks Dad
[ May 22, 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

NoCal NoBoat
05-23-2003, 10:20 AM
Cal***boat:
I gave you a five for "Goofy Grape" !
One of the all-time favorite boats at our camp.
We thought the name was very cool, and always looked for the boat at Mendocino.
My uncle's boat was a Trojan inboard - a heavy boat with a wood deck. Definitely not a hot boat, but you could load it up with the whole extended family and still tow double skiers, tubes, whatever. It eventually was named "Godamboat" - two names in one.
Had dinner with my cousin last week. I told him about this forum, and he reminded me of another Mendocino boat that he skied behind with many others - the "Atom Ant"...

American Xtreme Marine
05-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Hmmm. My parents used to rent leaky wooden skiffs for fishing on the Barnegat bay. I was maybe 5. My father would let me steer while he rigged the poles. I remember constant bailing with a cut-out clorox bottle and crying when the greenheads bit me.