PDA

View Full Version : What is your .02 on Advantage Boats?

superV
05-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Looking at a 1991 22' Citation w/454 mag and a Bravo 1. Dont really hear much about them in here? I thought they are a High Performance boat company with some good history so whats the real deal?

HavasuDreamin'
05-06-2003, 10:16 AM
IMHO...........Advantage has always built a high quality boat. Good attention to detail, good fit and finish. Some people don't care for the styling of Advantage boats, but I have always liked the lines of that model. Harry Christensen (founder) goes way, way back in the industry. I bet old rigger might have a few stories.
I say, if you like the boat, go for it. They are quality boats. :cool:

SCUBA STEVE
05-06-2003, 10:22 AM
dont know sh** about advantage, except I cant afford their 28' party cat that I want.
The challenger is history?

boxscore
05-06-2003, 10:33 AM
I own a 2001 22 Citation which is currently for sale. 496HO, bimini, halon, 3 amps, 4 woofers, 5 pair other speakers. Beautiful boat. if interested, private message me for photo and additional details.

superV
05-06-2003, 10:53 AM
SCUBA STEVE:
dont know sh** about advantage, except I cant afford their 28' party cat that I want.
The challenger is history? Should be getting paid on saturday! :D

SCUBA STEVE
05-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Thats cool. But at the same time I didnt want you to sell it so soon. Still coming out for op6?

superV
05-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Here she is
http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/625/27845/00243444101.jpg
I am going to look at a 30' Formula on Sunday but it has Double Trouble 350s in it so im not to sure.
Super( naver satisfied)V :rolleyes:

superV
05-06-2003, 10:59 AM
SCUBA STEVE:
Thats cool. But at the same time I didnt want you to sell it so soon. Still coming out for op6? Shit ya! Thats what the Eliminator is for :D I could never go a day with out one in the drive way :p

HavasuDreamin'
05-06-2003, 10:59 AM
RiverDave:
After Harry died they put out some pretty bad boats for awhile. I think 91 is previous to that though. RD I think Harry passed in the late 90's or possibly 2000/01.
HD

superV
05-06-2003, 11:02 AM
BTW it has a Blender thats worth 13k right? smile_sp

superV
05-06-2003, 11:06 AM
So how come more people dont have these boats on the boards it seems like i never hear anyone talking about them. Where are they located? They look TYP of the kind of boat you seen on here?

superV
05-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Here is the Formula!
http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/625/21678/00242154416.jpg

spectras only
05-06-2003, 11:59 AM
That's about a 1980 Formula 302 , timeless classic. Be sure to check for rot in the stringers and transom eek! .How much are they asking for it? The real screamer would be the 233 Liberator with tw 350's .
[ May 06, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

Havasu Doug
05-06-2003, 12:00 PM
RiverDave:
HavasuDreamin':
RiverDave:
After Harry died they put out some pretty bad boats for awhile. I think 91 is previous to that though. RD I think Harry passed in the late 90's or possibly 2000/01.
HD Something is telling me that it was in like 94-95, but i don't remember. i can't remember yesterday right now though.
RD Harry died in January of 1999. I used to have a big story on him on my site. The links are gone now, but I still have all the info. I used to see him everytime I went to Havasu. frown

superV
05-06-2003, 12:04 PM
spectras only:
That's about a 1980 Formula 302 , timeless classic. Be sure to check for rot in the stringers and transom eek! .How much are they asking for it? Its an 1981 and in perfect shape. No rot did the ice pick test eek! Very clean one owner and the best part is its under 10k :D Great interior big ass cuddy with state room and bar. I like the fact it has 350s (cheap) to keep the cost down plus it only has 40 hr on motors and drives :D But it is a heavy mother focker 6800lbs jawdrop Im thinking this for the family and the V-Drive to keep the thrill alive in this Kid! :D

superV
05-06-2003, 12:06 PM
spectras only:
That's about a 1980 Formula 302 , timeless classic. Be sure to check for rot in the stringers and transom eek! .How much are they asking for it? My 1st big boat was an 86 23' Nova Spider :D

HavasuDreamin'
05-06-2003, 12:07 PM
superV:
So how come more people dont have these boats on the boards it seems like i never hear anyone talking about them. Where are they located? They look TYP of the kind of boat you seen on here? Well, for starters, they are built in LHC. They have been there for at least 10-15 years. I don't think you hear too much about them becuase most people are buying cats now. Their 22' cat is considered small by today's standard and the 28' cat never really took off. I think it was pretty slow compared to other similar cats. I think their best seller has been the victory line of boats though...........the 27'er is a nice boat. If you get ***boat magazine, they just reently tested a 28' victory open bow/cuddy. Again, I think they build a quality boat. :cool:

superV
05-06-2003, 12:19 PM
HavasuDreamin':
superV:
So how come more people dont have these boats on the boards it seems like i never hear anyone talking about them. Where are they located? They look TYP of the kind of boat you seen on here? Well, for starters, they are built in LHC. They have been there for at least 10-15 years. I don't think you hear too much about them becuase most people are buying cats now. Their 22' cat is considered small by today's standard and the 28' cat never really took off. I think it was pretty slow compared to other similar cats. I think their best seller has been the victory line of boats though...........the 27'er is a nice boat. If you get ***boat magazine, they just reently tested a 28' victory open bow/cuddy. Again, I think they build a quality boat. :cool: Thanks for the info! wink

my21advantage
05-06-2003, 12:40 PM
I own a 2002 21 SR BR. Great boat, very clean gelcoat. I think that they put out some damn nice boats.

spectras only
05-06-2003, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by superV:
Very clean one owner and the best part is its under 10k I guess it's sold wink :D !

Wild Horses
05-06-2003, 02:42 PM
I own a 1989 Advantage Citation. I'm on my 3rd Advantage(bought my first one in 1988) and my next boat will be a 27 Victory. I think they are a very solid boat and the hold up very well, not a lot of rattles and creaks & groans. The boat does really good in medium chop. They plane very well and don't require trim tabs to run well. I've got mine in the low 80's a slight amount of chine walk at wide open on a long run but a nice even set at about 50-55. I go to Powell and sleep on it for a couple of nights with the wife and its not to bad (I'm 6'1").
I paid 17500 for mine with a 502 with 560hp but I had to drive to St Louis to get it and I thought it was well worth it. :D
Clint

my21advantage
05-06-2003, 02:58 PM
RiverDave:
my21advantage:
I own a 2002 21 SR BR. Great boat, very clean gelcoat. I think that they put out some damn nice boats. why the angry face?
RD I just think there's always room for improvement as with any business.

cbudge
05-06-2003, 04:32 PM
You can buy a lot better boat for the money. It is really not the same company since the passing of Harry and Jeff. Do your homework and you'll find out for yourself..

mickeyfinn
05-06-2003, 05:09 PM
My .02?
Wish I had one...LOL

Catmando
05-06-2003, 07:04 PM
I don't know much about their Citation line, but their Victory line is the big seller. The 32 has been a winner on the POPRA race circuit, and you can get the pleasure version with four bolsters, unheard-of in a boat that size. Even now, very few builders have that much room in their cockpits. The 40 is a great Poker Run boat.
In 1998, Jeff Christiansen was killed in a POPRA race at Benicia, thrown out of his 32' F2 boat and broke his neck. Then in January of '99, Harry put his plane up for sale. A man answered the ad, and when Harry took him up for a demo ride, the guy killed him. :mad: :( He and his wife(the accomplice) were caught before they reached the border. He was 65 years old and had just been released from jail after serving time for a previous murder. Of course, Harry didn't know that.
HavasuDoug correct me if any of this is wrong, I'm posting from memory.

Craig
05-06-2003, 07:18 PM
I've had a 22' Sportcat that I bought new in 1997. Outside of a leaky fuel tank, I've never had any major problems. The 22 cat has more room under the deck then any other 22, IMO. Some folks don't like that it doesn't have the longer pointy sponsons. The boat runs great and a lot of folks have said they shouldn't run as fast as they do. I've gone 114.5 mph and know two others that have gone 122 and 129 mph. The 28 cat bottom needs some tweaking for speed, but they build so many more Party Cats and those folks don't care about every mph. The Party Cats are their money maker. The 27 Victory bottom isn't quite up with some of the other comparable Vee's of the same size, but still a nice boat. Service and warranty have also been pretty good.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/140side3.jpg
Craig

kevnmcd
05-06-2003, 08:41 PM
SuperV - How about a very clean Eliminator? I know where you can pick one up for a great price. wink It is almost brand new, too with a bitchen trailer. :D

Catmando
05-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Bitchin' paint, Craig. :) i've heard those little cats porpoise quite a bit in the midrange. How does yours do?

Craig
05-07-2003, 03:46 AM
Catmando:
Bitchin' paint, Craig. :) i've heard those little cats porpoise quite a bit in the midrange. How does yours do? In smooth water it will porpoise some at about 70-80 mph. No more then most cats I've been in. I put tunnel tabs on it and that helped a lot. You just jam on the throttle and it settles down at about 85 and takes a set then keeps goin' :D

superV
05-07-2003, 05:04 AM
kevnmcd:
SuperV - How about a very clean Eliminator? I know where you can pick one up for a great price. wink It is almost brand new, too with a bitchen trailer. :D LOL if only it had a different drive :rolleyes: OR the price was low enuff to change it out! wink

Banshee
05-07-2003, 05:39 AM
SuperV,
I have a 92’ Advantage Banshee, if you didn’t guess. I bought it new. It’s definitely a quality boat but I did have a lot of little problems with it when I first got it though. It was supposed to have three bilge pumps only came from the factory with one. (tunnel hull, you know)After I had it for a week or two, a few friends of mine and I took our boats to a lake a couple of hours away from where I live and I ended up putting a nice slice into my right foot from the bolts on the foot throttle that were to long. After that I cut ‘em off and put acorn nuts on them. You might know something about acorn nuts? That’s the two biggest problems I had that I blame directly on Advantage. There were many other small rigging details that should have been improved on. It’s a real solid boat, no hull flex and to date no checks marks or other flaws in the gelcoat or glass work.
If I were you and the price was right and all seemd well with the boat your looking at I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Hermosa
05-07-2003, 06:26 AM
superV:
Looking at a 1991 22' Citation w/454 mag and a Bravo 1. Dont really hear much about them in here? I thought they are a High Performance boat company with some good history so whats the real deal? Hey SuperV, is that Citation located in the Bakersfield area, blue in color??

superV
05-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Hermosa:
superV:
Looking at a 1991 22' Citation w/454 mag and a Bravo 1. Dont really hear much about them in here? I thought they are a High Performance boat company with some good history so whats the real deal? Hey SuperV, is that Citation located in the Bakersfield area, blue in color?? No its in Lake of the Ozarks Mo.