PDA

View Full Version : Prop Gaurd

Boozer
06-27-2003, 10:48 AM
What's the down side to installing one of these if there is one?

al cole'holic
06-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Boozer:
What's the down side to installing one of these if there is one? The downside is you won't have this really sweet ass scar running down your back.. frown

DogHouse
06-27-2003, 10:51 AM
What's a matter, worried about getting your new "toy" caught in the prop and losing your investment?
:D

Boozer
06-27-2003, 10:52 AM
DogHouse:
What's a matter, worried about getting your new "toy" caught in the prop and losing your investment?
:D Exactly! My new "toy" cost me a lot fo money so I definitely need to protect it. :D

DogHouse
06-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Ouch!!! eek!

Boozer
06-27-2003, 10:57 AM
So there is no downside to installing a prop gaurd when it comes to performance? If it doesnt cause you to lose performance I don't really understand why anyone would not want to put one on just to be safe. Smart boater or not you just never really know.

DogHouse
06-27-2003, 11:01 AM
I haven't seen one yet so I can't say for sure, but if you're dragging more junk through the water then yes it will hinder performance. How much will depend on how it's designed and how high your drive is mounted. Anyone have any pics or test results yet?

miller19j
06-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Does anyone make a prop guard? I have never seen one does one exist?

Boozer
06-27-2003, 11:07 AM
http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/custom/guards.html

spectras only
06-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Every logboat have them here on the rivers. I think it's about time the manufacturers put the props back where they belong = on the bottom like V-drives. So no dumb ass could fall on them :D . Boozer ,those guards are still not failsafe .They're still open on one side ,and the lawyers would argue over it wink
[ June 27, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

al cole'holic
06-27-2003, 11:14 AM
...after my little incident I did do some research, not that I am gonna do anything about it. :D
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/prop.bmp

HavasuDreamin'
06-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Hell yes those things will hinder your performance. Physics will tell you that. If the gov. mandates them, I am selling my prop boat and buying a jet. yuk

burbanite
06-27-2003, 11:54 AM
HavasuDreamin':
If the gov. mandates them, I am selling my prop boat and buying a jet. yuk jawdrop

Caljamr
06-27-2003, 12:00 PM
What's next "Tire Guards" that you put on your car and don't run over people/feet so you don't get sued.

eliminatedsprinter
06-27-2003, 12:10 PM
burbanite:
HavasuDreamin':
If the gov. mandates them, I am selling my prop boat and buying a jet. yuk jawdrop Hey! Don't mention Gov mandates. eek! I live in CA and no mandate is too stupid for our Demo-nazi legislature! :mad:

Caljamr
06-27-2003, 01:12 PM
What's next "Tire Guards" that you put on your car and don't run over people/feet so you don't get sued.

Seadog
06-27-2003, 01:14 PM
The NMMA and CG studied the hell out of them things and found that they reduce performance and in some cases can cause more damage than not having them. A standard prop may cut, but will usually eject the body part it come into contact with. A prop guard, on the other hand may block incidental contact, but can also suck a hand or foot into the prop and mangle/dismember it. The safer they are, the more they destroy performance. They also found that more people were hurt by impact with the boat or drive case than from the prop.

VillainDave
06-27-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Seadog
The NMMA and CG studied the hell out of them things and found that they reduce performance and in some cases can cause more damage than not having them. A standard prop may cut, but will usually eject the body part it come into contact with. A prop guard, on the other hand may block incidental contact, but can also suck a hand or foot into the prop and mangle/dismember it. The safer they are, the more they destroy performance. They also found that more people were hurt by impact with the boat or drive case than from the prop.
I agree if there's a guard on the prop it will trap what ever it comes in contact with arms,legs,hands,feet,rocks,sticks.
I think they should just leave them alone!

jlnorthrup122
06-27-2003, 01:44 PM
I have had a concept drive system on my drawing board for some time now and waiting for the time to ontroduce it that will now that I think about it will prevent propbite Only thing is its more like a jet but better design and utilizes 2 jets. Hey I'm gonna start a new post on this. :)

78Eliminator
06-27-2003, 02:42 PM
HavasuDreamin':
Hell yes those things will hinder your performance. Physics will tell you that. If the gov. mandates them, I am selling my prop boat and buying a jet. yuk Yeah, that will show them! wink

Super D
06-27-2003, 03:34 PM
I reecently read in some boating mag that they had installed and tested these things and they were CRAP! They flex/bend and hit the prop, hinder performance, etc. It changed my thinking on these things!

HCS
06-27-2003, 06:30 PM
This thread is HOG WASH!!!!!!!!!!!
Prop guards are a ****ing joke.
The problem is people. They need to get a life.
If you can't handle boating don't go, stay off the water.

HCS
06-27-2003, 09:16 PM
al cole'holic:
...after my little incident I did do some research, not that I am gonna do anything about it. :D
http://members.aol.com/hevythreds/prop.bmp http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/useless.gif

Seadog
06-30-2003, 01:06 PM
I dug out this site CG safety circulars (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/circulars.htm) and circular 81 covers the pros and cons in detail. It reminded me of one thing that I had forgotten before and that was to be truly effective they had to pretty much be designed around the boat and prop. With all the headaches of finding the perfect prop today, imagine then finding the perfect prop guard for the prop?

Ziggy
06-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Seadog:
I dug out this site CG safety circulars (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/circulars.htm) and circular 81 covers the pros and cons in detail. It reminded me of one thing that I had forgotten before and that was to be truly effective they had to pretty much be designed around the boat and prop. With all the headaches of finding the perfect prop today, imagine then finding the perfect prop guard for the prop? If you fit a gaurd real tightly around prop you could almost turn it into a sorta-jet. Make the gaurd longer and put a nozzle on it. :rolleyes: :D