PDA

View Full Version : Question in reguards to home audio......

fat rat
09-29-2003, 05:09 PM
I'm concidering buying a pair of Martin Logan Accent and was wondering if anyone has any input based on personal experience. They will be used as my front L&R home audio/vidio system.

MagicMtnDan
09-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Can't really tell you anything about them but I am curious what you're going to use for a center channel speaker. Ideally it should sonically match the front L&R (and probably all the) speakers.

carreraboat
09-29-2003, 05:32 PM
before you buy do yourself a favor and listen to some magnapan,s they do not cost as much and i think they sound better

hot_diggity_dog
09-30-2003, 05:34 AM
I'm concidering buying a pair of Martin Logan Accent and was wondering if anyone has any input based on personal experience. They will be used as my front L&R home audio/vidio system
If you can afford them they are about the one of the best out there, and they aint cheap eek! . :D
I have (4) Clarity's, The Depth Sub woofer and the Cinema center speaker. :D :D :D
Martin Logan (http://www.martinlogan.com/)
If you have any techinal questions or need more info Talk to RoZ. wink
HDD :cool:

Cheap Thrills
09-30-2003, 06:28 AM
jawdrop $4,100.00 per pair for the Ascent..
Holey cow man ,, are you Wack ??
The specs look outstanding for an electrostatic . but $4,100.00 ? *GRINS*
dont think I have that much in my whole system .
I run 2 QSC MX-1500 (THX certified )Amplifiers into 4 peavey SP2-Gs and a Cerwin Vega fold horn sub,
peavey digital processors and an Epicenter ..
the neibors love me ... Of course what I run wouldnt be concidered "Home Theatre" more of a "Stage Sound" Good luck with your system ,
T.

hot_diggity_dog
09-30-2003, 06:56 AM
$4,100.00 per pair for the Ascent..Holey cow man ,, are you Wack ??
Yes very Wack! wink
That's just part of my system. eek!
Hot (Roz helped me spend my money wink ) Diggity Dog :cool:

MagicMtnDan
09-30-2003, 07:49 AM
I know someone* :D who has the following setup which sounds incredible (it should all five speakers have powered subs!). "He" always buys DTS encoded DVDs for terrific surround sound and believe me the sound and bass is awesome!
Front speakers - 1 pair of Definitive Technology BP3000TL
(bipolar power towers - each is self-powered with 1,000 watts; 1 - 16" subwoofer; 4 - 6.5" sub/mid drivers; 2 - 1" dome tweeters)
http://www.definitivetech.com/images/product%20images/BP3kTLcallout.jpg
Center channel speaker - 1 Definitive Technology 3000C/L/R self-powered with 250 watts; 10" sub, 2 - 6.5" mids and 1 -1" dome tweeter; 150 watts RMS)
http://www.definitivetech.com/images/product%20images/clr2300opt.jpg
Rear speakers - 1 pair of Definitive Technology BP2002TL(bipolar power towers - each has a 12" sub, 5 - 5.25" bass/mid drivers, 2 - 1" dome tweeters; self-powered with 250 watts)
http://www.helloav.com/speakers/definitive/pic/bp2002tl.jpg
Quote:
When Definitive introduced the concept of built-in powered subwoofers, we literally reinvented the loudspeaker. Our patented technology (U.S. Patent #5,887,068) combines multi-driver bipolar arrays with side-firing, high-definition, high-wattage powered subwoofers built into beautiful, sleek designer-styled cabinets which occupy 1.1 sq. ft. of floor space or less. The results and benefits of this remarkable technology are dramatic: extraordinary sonic performance beyond anything you've ever heard. Truly a symphony of perfection for your listening pleasure!
Review: http://www.definitivetech.com/reviews/BP3000TL.pdf
Driving all this is a Denon AVR5700 receiver and Sony DVD carousel 5-disc player (no HDTV yet so no need for progressive scan).
* It's not always the best idea to tell what you have online

ROZ
09-30-2003, 10:08 AM
www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/loudspeakers.html (http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/loudspeakers.html) is a splash of www.miragespeakers.com (http://www.miragespeakers.com) old technology. There is a connection between the two, but I just can't remember it...
Bipolar then dipolar now omnipolar.....
The narrow front and back with a wide transition between them would seem to have a wide gap between speaker dispursion. By designing the omnipolar speaker the dispersion gap between front and back of the cabinet is drastically decreased.IMHO...I'm not saying that it's not a good sounding speaker because they do sound good. I'm just saying that many other mfg's have left Bipole to other advances dispersion designs...Gotta keep it fresh.....

fat rat
10-01-2003, 01:54 AM
ROZ:
www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/loudspeakers.html (http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/loudspeakers.html) is a splash of www.miragespeakers.com (http://www.miragespeakers.com) old technology. There is a connection between the two, but I just can't remember it...
Bipolar then dipolar now omnipolar.....
The narrow front and back with a wide transition between them would seem to have a wide gap between speaker dispursion. By designing the omnipolar speaker the dispersion gap between front and back of the cabinet is drastically decreased.IMHO...I'm not saying that it's not a good sounding speaker because they do sound good. I'm just saying that many other mfg's have left Bipole to other advances dispersion designs...Gotta keep it fresh..... Roz you seem to have a lot of knowledge on this subject.......where would you spend your money (within reason)........have you listened to the Martin Logans? Whats your opinion or anyone else who has?

ROZ
10-01-2003, 10:11 AM
The only ML's I haven't heard are the Stataments and the Prodigy. They sound fantastic to me, but everyone likeness for sound reproduction is different. There are a lot of highend speakers within the budget of the Accenti's that sound pretty good, but there is something about the ML's that facinate me...history, design, customer service, etc... A couple of highend brands I've worked with are B&W, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Higher end Klipsch models, and a couple others; However, I'd have a pair of ML's in my livingroom if I was into floorstanding speakers.....Without a doubt.
Hot-diggity-dog did a lot of research on a couple of Home audio forums before he bought his. Maybe he'll post one you can check out...
Another person who knows a lot about home audio is Tom Brown. Maybe he'll chime in and recommend a couple other brands inline with your budget....
Whatever you do don't buy a pair of speakers just based on recommendations. Go listen to them, as well as a few others...Base your decision on what sounds best to YOU.
[ October 01, 2003, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

fat rat
10-02-2003, 05:34 PM
ROZ:
Whatever you do don't buy a pair of speakers just based on recommendations. Go listen to them, as well as a few others...Base your decision on what sounds best to YOU. I did exactly that and that's what got me into trouble............I went down to my local Tweeter store to buy a new TV and ended up checking out the whole place. The best part about it...........my wife enjoyed it, usally she just lets me do the shopping for stuff like this. :D
HDDD and MMD.......thanx for your help and inputs.....I'm still open for alternitives.

Edmond
10-02-2003, 06:10 PM
I have been using the Martin Logan SL3's for about 5 years, They sound great, I listened to the Maggies and don't think they sounded nearly as nice. I went to upgrade them (SL3's)about ayear ago and decided to keep them because I couldnt find anything that sounds better. They don't play real loud but you can get enough volume to piss off your neighbors (you can ask mine). I have never had any problems with them (speakers)I have a Snell sub that adds some nice bass (I had to go through 3 different subs before I found this one that blended well. The only complaint about the ML is they need power. I am using a Krell. Get the logans if you want sound quality, nuy something else if you want to be the block DJ.
[ October 02, 2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Edmond ]

Edmond
10-02-2003, 06:15 PM
HD, how do you like your center channel, I went to buy it and the salesman talked me out of it, he said it didn't sound "right" but he thought their larger center was great.

MagicMtnDan
10-02-2003, 06:20 PM
ROZ:
Gotta keep it fresh..... I won't question you on this but I will say that your statement is like saying the 500 has been replaced by the 496HO (or whatever)...gotta keep it fresh.
Of course, but if they sound/work good then why replace it just because something newer has come out?
One thing I will add to this discussion - home theater listening puts very different demands on speakers than home audio (stereo music). Don't expect both kinds of material(home theater and home audio) to sound equally as good or you could very well be disappointed.
I know someone who has Definitive Technology home theater set up and Klipsch LaScalas for music and they both do excellent but very different jobs.
Be sure to know what you're shopping for (home theater or music) and like Roz says, be sure to listen to the speakers yourselves. Don't bother getting excited about the name/brand until you're excited about how the speakers sound.

hot_diggity_dog
10-02-2003, 07:33 PM
HD, how do you like your center channel, I went to buy it and the salesman talked me out of it, he said it didn't sound "right" but he thought their larger center was great.
Edmond you are correct on the center channel, depending on the room size and acoustics, will determine which to use. The Cinema I center is sweet with the right power as well. It really puts out the sound in my room!!
Going to put the new Yamaha RX Z9 (9) Channel with 1290 watts to it. 170 Watts x 7 & 50 Watts x 2

hot_diggity_dog
10-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Be sure to know what you're shopping for (home theater or music) and like Roz says, be sure to listen to the speakers yourselves. Don't bother getting excited about the name/brand until you're excited about how the speakers sound.
Hey MMD,
But it sure helps to have guy's like you :) and Roz :) , and all of the other's on these boards, wink to stear us in the right direction.
I look at he Martin Logan's as the DCB of speaker's. All day long you will hear debate on them and all they say is why do they cost so much.
They are proven and have been on the leading edge, :rolleyes: let's just say old Hot Diggity has a DCB 34 with twin Quad Whipple Rotor Motor's as his Home theater set up! :D
Hot (Watching the 50" Plasma with Martin Logan's) Diggity Dog :cool:

Mod VP
10-02-2003, 08:45 PM
MagicMtnDan:
I know someone* :D who has the following setup which sounds incredible (it should all five speakers have powered subs!). "He" always buys DTS encoded DVDs for terrific surround sound and believe me the sound and bass is awesome!
Front speakers - 1 pair of Definitive Technology BP3000TL
(bipolar power towers - each is self-powered with 1,000 watts; 1 - 16" subwoofer; 4 - 6.5" sub/mid drivers; 2 - 1" dome tweeters)
http://www.definitivetech.com/images/product%20images/BP3kTLcallout.jpg
Center channel speaker - 1 Definitive Technology 3000C/L/R self-powered with 250 watts; 10" sub, 2 - 6.5" mids and 1 -1" dome tweeter; 150 watts RMS)
http://www.definitivetech.com/images/product%20images/clr2300opt.jpg
Rear speakers - 1 pair of Definitive Technology BP2002TL(bipolar power towers - each has a 12" sub, 5 - 5.25" bass/mid drivers, 2 - 1" dome tweeters; self-powered with 250 watts)
http://www.helloav.com/speakers/definitive/pic/bp2002tl.jpg
Quote:
When Definitive introduced the concept of built-in powered subwoofers, we literally reinvented the loudspeaker. Our patented technology (U.S. Patent #5,887,068) combines multi-driver bipolar arrays with side-firing, high-definition, high-wattage powered subwoofers built into beautiful, sleek designer-styled cabinets which occupy 1.1 sq. ft. of floor space or less. The results and benefits of this remarkable technology are dramatic: extraordinary sonic performance beyond anything you've ever heard. Truly a symphony of perfection for your listening pleasure!
Review: http://www.definitivetech.com/reviews/BP3000TL.pdf
Driving all this is a Denon AVR5700 receiver and Sony DVD carousel 5-disc player (no HDTV yet so no need for progressive scan).
* It's not always the best idea to tell what you have online

ROZ
10-02-2003, 10:33 PM
hot_diggity_dog:
Watching the 50" Plasma with Martin Logan's :cool: You Bastard! wink :D :cool:
hot_diggity_dog:
Going to put the new Yamaha RX Z9 (9) Channel with 1290 watts to it. 170 Watts x 7 & 50 Watts x 2You think it sounds good now, wait til you have ALL 9 fire breathing channels lit up!
R "I'm haning at HDD's pad babsittin his theater while he's at the river" OZ :D
But do you think I can sell some of Satan's F-chairs? wink :D

fat rat
10-03-2003, 03:16 AM
MagicMtnDan
Of course, but if they sound/work good then why replace it just because something newer has come out?
One thing I will add to this discussion - home theater listening puts very different demands on speakers than home audio (stereo music). Don't expect both kinds of material(home theater and home audio) to sound equally as good or you could very well be disappointed.
I know someone who has Definitive Technology home theater set up and Klipsch LaScalas for music and they both do excellent but very different jobs.
Be sure to know what you're shopping for (home theater or music) and like Roz says, be sure to listen to the speakers yourselves. Don't bother getting excited about the name/brand until you're excited about how the speakers sound. [/QB]My wife and I sat in the sound room for an hour and a half comparing speakers, we both came to the same conclusion and thought the ML's were for us. I know the bass is a little weak, but I think a sub will fix that. Another reason for our selection is that my room is not exactly acustically right (ie. ceramic flooring, not a lot of upholstered furniture and ect.)I'm thinking since the ML's don't have drivers, that I won't get a lot of reflection/deflection. I'm not replacing anything, for my Rock n Roll pleasure I listen to my Cerwin Vegas DD 15 E's......there like cubic inches, nothin can replace it. wink
I've read 50 reviews on these and 49 outa 50 rated them very high, 4.90, but almost everyone said placement is critical.....that concerns me. I'm going out again this weekend to checkout some other brands. :confused:

MagicMtnDan
10-03-2003, 05:45 AM
Just curious what they suggest for a center channel? Does ML make a matching center channel? And what about the rears? (homophobes please don't reply to this post - it's about home audio :D )

hot_diggity_dog
10-03-2003, 05:53 AM
This is the Theater Center Speaker
http://www.martinlogan.com/images/theater_i_zoom1.jpg
http://www.martinlogan.com/art/theater_i_zoom3.jpg
From the beginning, the center channel has been recognized as the most critical element in any home theater and multi-channel music system. It grabs your attention, grounds the cinematic experience, and holds you in the moment. Designed and executed precisely, the center channel bridges the main channels and provides a seamless sound stage that tracks the cinematic environment—to perfection. This is exactly what MartinLogan Theater i was designed and manufactured to do—effortlessly.
Theater i builds upon the foundation of the hugely successful Theater center channel loudspeaker by incorporating a myriad of design innovations including a Generation 2 stat panel featuring ClearSpar™ technology, MicroPerf stator, low-voltage DC power, and enhanced cabinet and stator finishes.
The Theater i’s new Generation 2 stat panel incorporates a reformulation of our conductive coating and a new plasma deposition process. This refined thin film technology provides improved impedance tolerance and maximum adhesion and abrasion resistance. ClearSpar technology enhances Theater i’s transparent look and increases both efficiency and dynamics. The new MicroPerf design reduces the size of individual holes in the stator, allowing more openings compared to a traditional MartinLogan ESL transducer, maximizing efficiency of the Theater i’s small ESL transducer.
Fusing this ultra high-performance Generation 2 CLS™ transducer with dual proprietary 6.5” shielded dynamic bass drivers and an innovative controlled dispersion array has resulted in a design capable of fully resolving any sound from the subtlest dialog to room-shaking effects. Theater i’s innovative controlled dispersion array minimizes destructive high-frequency room interaction.
To eliminate the need for a traditional IEC power cord and significantly increase ease of installation, especially for custom applications, the Theater i features a low-voltage DC power supply. To further enhance custom application options, the Theater i ships with a multi-mount stand attached. Whether the Theater i is placed atop a rear projection TV, wall mounted under a plasma screen, or placed on the floor, the unit can be precisely aimed simply by adjusting the proprietary MartinLogan handgrips.
Enhanced cabinet and stator finishes, standard on the Theater i, include the attractive and durable new semi-gloss black cabinet finish and shimmering, dark gray Meteor colored stators (the front and back perforated electrostatic panel elements). The Theater i is supplied with single-wire, high-resolution, proprietary toolless binding posts for effortless cable attachment and management.
Frequency Response: 70–22,000 Hz ± 3 dB
Dispersion: 30 degrees
Sensitivity: 90 dB/2.83 volts/meter
Impedance: 4 ohms, 3.1 @ 20 Hz
Crossover Frequencies: 300, 3000 Hz
Bass Drivers: Two 6.5” (16.5 cm) magnetically shielded. Non-resonant asymmetrical chamber format
CLS™ Mid-range: Patented CLS™ electrostatic transducer
High Frequency Drivers: Three 1" (2.5cm) soft dome, controlled dispersions array
Power Handling: 250 watts/channel
Weight: 57 lbs
(26kg)
Dimensions
With mounting bracket: 13" H x 43" W x 11.5" D
(33 x 109.2 x 29.2cm)
Without mounting bracket: 10.5" H x 43" W x 11.5" D
(26.7 x 109.2 x 29.2cm)
This will give you plenty of bass
http://www.martinlogan.com/images/depth_zoom1.jpg
http://www.martinlogan.com/images/depth_zoom2.jpg
Imagine an eye-catching subwoofer with explosive power and precision that discretely hides in a corner, under an end table or behind an easy chair—the MartinLogan Depth.
Building upon the unprecedented success of the Descent subwoofer, MartinLogan now offers the same innovative technology in a package occupying just over two cubic feet.
Depth's innovative three-woofer BalancedForce™ design nullifies cabinet vibrations that produce loose, fuzzy bass—common to traditional subwoofers. Its proprietary switching amplifier supplies explosive power, outstanding efficiency and precision at all sound levels.
Depth's advanced servo control system continuously analyzes driver performance and corrects any deviation from the original signal—resulting in pure, powerful bass throughout your listening room or home theater. Low-mass driver design, precision low-pass filters and flexible control circuitry enable flawless integration and optimal blending with any existing speaker system—from MartinLogan electrostatic to conventional dynamic loudspeakers.
Frequency Response: 20–150 Hz ±3 dB
Anechoic through LFE effects input.
Input Impedance: 20,000 ohms
Low Pass Filter Frequencies: 30, 35, 45, 55, 65, 80Hz
High Pass Filter Frequencies: 40, 70Hz
Phase: 0°, 90°, 180°, 270°
25Hz Level Control: ±12 dB
Woofer Type: 3 x 8" (20.3cm) high excursion, woofers in a BalancedForce™ array
Amplifier: 300 watts rms (500 watts peak)
Inputs: RCA Line Level Left & Right; RCA LFE; Speaker Level
Outputs: RCA Line Level Left & Right; RCA for Multiple Subwoofer Connection
Weight: 65 lbs
(29.5kg)
Dimensions: 16.25" H x 16.6" W x 16.15" D
(41.3 x 42.2 x 41cm

ROZ
10-03-2003, 10:56 AM
MagicMtnDan:
Does ML make a matching center channel? And what about the rears? Rear channel speakers: Scripti
Similar to the Clarity, but have a wall mount on the back... http://www.martinlogan.com/images/script_i_zoom.jpg

ROZ
10-03-2003, 11:09 AM
fat rat:
I'm thinking since the ML's don't have drivers, that I won't get a lot of reflection/deflection.
While it's not a traditional speaker design, ML does incorporate an aluminum driver. The speakers below the Accent have an 8" driver, the Accent and Odessey have a 10" driver, the Prodigy has 2 10's, and the statement has 8 7" woofers and 8 12" subs...
fat rat:
I've read 50 reviews on these and 49 outa 50 rated them very high, 4.90, but almost everyone said placement is critical.....that concerns me. I'm going out again this weekend to checkout some other brands. :confused: Every speaker has it's sweet spot. Some just need a little more attention in the initial setup... Especially in stereo

Edmond
10-03-2003, 12:02 PM
ROZ you are correct regarding the sweet spot. Martin Logans sweet spot sounds awesome! BUT!! move a little off center and it starts to fade quickly, leave the room and the sound goes to $hit.

ROZ
10-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Edmond:
leave the room and the sound goes to $hit. True, but the same is with any system. You need a multizone amp and speakers throughout the house if you're gonna party like a rock star! wink :D
The speakers FR is looking at are considere the current version of your SL3's