PDA

View Full Version : Tow Covers?

miller19j
05-16-2003, 10:22 AM
I have heard that towing with a cover can screw up your gell coat. But what about tow covers that are made to be on when towing?
Anyone have any advice or experience with this type of cover?

78Eliminator
05-16-2003, 10:24 AM
miller19j:
I have heard that towing with a cover can screw up your gell coat. But what about tow covers that are made to be on when towing?
Anyone have any advice or experience with this type of cover? Our family boat had a cover that had rope that secured it for towing. We towed it thousands of miles like that and I never saw any ill effects. In fact, the first time I heard towing with a cover is bad, was in this forum...

HavasuDreamin'
05-16-2003, 10:25 AM
I never tow with a cover on. Why take any chances? :confused: It costs a lot more to have your gel repaired than it does to wash your boat. wink
[ May 16, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

78Eliminator
05-16-2003, 10:34 AM
HavasuDreamin':
I never tow with a cover on. Why take any chances? :confused: It costs a lot more to have your gel repaired than it does to wash your boat. wink That's the point. The cover will protect it from chips and rocks.

HavasuDreamin'
05-16-2003, 10:48 AM
78Eliminator:
HavasuDreamin':
I never tow with a cover on. Why take any chances? :confused: It costs a lot more to have your gel repaired than it does to wash your boat. wink That's the point. The cover will protect it from chips and rocks. Well, rock chips usually hit the bottom of the boat which isn't covered anyway. Now if you have a lifted 4x4 with no mudflaps, you are screwed all the way around, top and bottom. If you have a normal height, or lowered vehicle, the rocks usually don't hit the top of the boat where most of the gel is.
I have a 19' Daytona as well that I have been towing around since 1992 and don't have any rock chips above the rub rail. I also don't have any areas where my gel has been scuffed up because I don't tow with a cover.
Bottom line is if you use your equipment, it is going to get bumps and bruises here and there. You can't get all the rocks off the road. The only thing the owner can do is take care of the equipment as best as possible which in my opinion includes not towing with a cover because it will rub your gel. If you want your boat to be perfect, either leave it in the garage, or keep it in an enclosed trailer. :rolleyes:
[ May 16, 2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

miller19j
05-16-2003, 10:50 AM
One of the lakes that I go to has dirt roads to get to the launch ramp and through the campsites. By the time I get to the water my boat is covered in silt and it takes me all weekend to get it clean. So I would like to have a cover to keep the dirt out.

HCS
05-16-2003, 10:50 AM
I got a tow cover. Never had a problem. :confused:

HavasuDreamin'
05-16-2003, 10:55 AM
miller19j:
One of the lakes that I go to has dirt roads to get to the launch ramp and through the campsites. By the time I get to the water my boat is covered in silt and it takes me all weekend to get it clean. So I would like to have a cover to keep the dirt out. MY $.02 is to leave the cover on and go slow down the dirt road. If it is in a campsite, you aren't going any more than 10 mph anyway, so it won't rub your gel. Just don't be hummin down the hwy at 75 mph with your cover flappin' in the breeze. wink

XLGPP
05-16-2003, 11:09 AM
"Well, rock chips usually hit the bottom of the boat which isn't covered anyway. Now if you have a lifted 4x4 with no mudflaps, you are screwed all the way around, top and bottom. If you have a normal height, or lowered vehicle, the rocks usually don't hit the top of the boat where most of the gel is."
I have a 10" lift on 2500HD with 38" super swampers that throw boulders, but I dont have one chip anywhere in my gel. I tow 10 hours each way at least twice a year, and alot of back and forth here. to my knowledge, I have never seen a cover that DOESNT burn gel while flapping in the wind while towing, except for the snap on canopy covers. maybe there are some out there, I just have never seen or heard of one.

stonehedge
05-16-2003, 11:10 AM
Had some of the same issues, I was dealing with paint and clear coat, (never again) anyways.......the cover was more destrutive than the road. I finally realized I had to have a custom cover made, specially made to tow and be nice to my baby. Lots of places. And can get real pricy. Found a place and spent I think close to 400ish maybe a tad more. Only use it to tow so its rather clean, and it has soft felt on the inside and the outer material is great. Super tight, "tight like a tiger"......so it doesn't rub. Nice strapes and quick release connections to hold it down(ezy on/ezy off) Plus it keeps monkies eyes off your ride and the chp's from seeing that thing fly down the freeway, my pull over rates dropped to zero the first season I ran that thing? I suggest looking into something in that area, they actually take your boat and make a cover just for your boat and engine combo, any color or style, very nice. FYI

SCUBA STEVE
05-16-2003, 11:16 AM
I used to tow with the cover on, and now with it off. The main reason being when its 100 degrees out side, I dont want to be messing the the cover. I also heard it was not good to tow with cover on because the fine dust trapped in between the gel & cover causes a sandpaper effect :confused: would a custom cover cause less drag? My new boat doesnt have a custom tow cover and the rear seat is very dirty after towing, So I was thinking the seat is causing a lot of drag?
I agree with havasudreamin' sh*t is going to happen no matter what. My trailer takes the worst beating when in tow.
[ May 16, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: SCUBA STEVE ]

al cole'holic
05-16-2003, 11:23 AM
I have never towed with the cover on with the PIG, but the last one I did and it just got ****ed up. Anytime you see your cover moving while on the road it is moving on the gel...I couldn't see having a shitload of snaps all over the boat to do a cover like that...I think it looks pretty shitty when someone rolls up and the thing is full of snaps along the tops...
Hey XLGPP any pics of your ride??

HCS
05-16-2003, 11:35 AM
The cover I got is waterproof with a felt lining. It's as smooth as a babies diaper.
Plus it's custom fit so there's not any exess flap.
I usually don't tow with it on. I just use it as a cover.

stonehedge
05-16-2003, 12:05 PM
The type I was referring to has no snaps, and no flap, zero movement. I keep it and the boat super clean and it is not abrasive on the finish, which is not nearly as durable as gel. I had it made for one reason to tow. Oh, and its waterproof, but has built in vents to allow some air flow with out flapping around. As for drag, my little boat, well has none or very little. When I uncover it in about 30 seconds, it looks as good as it did when I finished detailing it in the garage.

Ziggy
05-16-2003, 12:17 PM
miller19j:
One of the lakes that I go to has dirt roads to get to the launch ramp and through the campsites. By the time I get to the water my boat is covered in silt and it takes me all weekend to get it clean. So I would like to have a cover to keep the dirt out. Tow on the road without the cover and put it on for the low speed cruise down the dirty paths. Unless you spend big bucks for a finely fitted cover the rest will rub and take the shine off your investment.
I've only had to do this a few times, otherwise I've always towed w/o cover. Nearly ten years of towing my current boat and always behind a 4x4, not a single stone chip. Plus 99% of these miles have been through desert conditions where rocks and flying sand are commonplace.
Personally, I worry more about the effect the sun has on interior than the dust it collects on raod trips.

miller19j
05-16-2003, 12:22 PM
I was thinking about getting the fitted tow cover with the felt like lining not just using the standard cheap cover. I was just curios how well they work and if they do any damage.
I don’t want to shell out the big bucks if they don’t work or damage the gell.

Powerquestboy
05-16-2003, 12:24 PM
When I bought my boat it had snaps all the way around the cockpit so I had a custom cockpit cover made and I always tow with it on. It keeps the interior looking good and keeps it dry if it rains. I have a mooring cover that I never tow with because it huge and I think would fill up with air. I dont mind cleaning the outside of the boat because its usually easy once your in the water but interior is another story. Too many nooks and crannys to clean. It would be nice to have a cockpit cover that fit tight enough to tow with without having to run snaps all the way around the boat.

Tom Brown
05-16-2003, 12:27 PM
I've heard of problems with moisture getting under the cover and causing the gel to chalk in extreme heat. Also chaffing can happen if you have flaps flapping, etc.
The problem I had with my cover is that my gel had UV damage in places where the cover didn't cover and less UV damage where the cover was. You can see the color differences clearly in this picture. By the way, it was a lined cover and there was no chalking or scratching after 25 years of use. It doesn't get as hot up here, though.
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/MyRig/rig1.jpeg

Danhercules
05-16-2003, 12:30 PM
I hate it when people tow with a cover. I wanna see what ya got. Especially the jets. :D

SCUBA STEVE
05-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Powerquestboy:
I dont mind cleaning the outside of the boat because its usually easy once your in the water but interior is another story. Too many nooks and crannys to clean. It would be nice to have a cockpit cover that fit tight enough to tow with without having to run snaps all the way around the boat. I agree. I spend hours cleaning the interior after a road trip, 1hr or less cleaning & waxing the exterior.

SCUBA STEVE
05-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Tom, I never thought I would see it on these boards, but there it is, a sedan towing a boat. what is that a 1998 maxima?
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/MyRig/rig1.jpeg
[ May 16, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: SCUBA STEVE ]

Tom Brown
05-16-2003, 12:41 PM
It's a 94 Maxima. :)
Believe it or not, it works well except the stopping distance goes through the roof with the trailer in tow. I normally only tow the boat about 250 feet between the launch and my Dad's garage. I've towed it long distances with no problems, though. :)
I'm going to put a surge break on the trailer this summer to make my trips to Havasu a little safer. :)
By the way, the boat, motor, and trailer weigh about 1450 lbs. I wouldn't want to tow more with that car.
[ May 16, 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

Chase
05-16-2003, 12:49 PM
I have two covers for my boat, one as a mooring cover, and the other as a trailering cover. When I go to the local lake I tow with no covers, since it is a pain in the ass to deal with it when i get there, and I want to "show the ride", however on a long trip, I went the distance and purchased the expensive trailering cover that is specially fit to the boat. There is minimal movement of this cover, no matter how windy. As far as the rock chips I have got off pretty lucky with my boats and have none yet. The mooring covers I use when I leave the boat in the water, or when I have the boat in my garage, to keep the dust out.

Chase
05-16-2003, 12:52 PM
Hey Tom, let me know if you are going to Havasu, It would be cool to join you...
Here is my unit...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/332Tow_unit-med.JPG
[ May 16, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Chase ]

miller19j
05-16-2003, 12:54 PM
Never mind you fixed it
[ May 16, 2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

Tom Brown
05-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Chase:
Hey Tom, let me know if you are going to Havasu, It would be cool to join you...Right on. I hope we can get together before that too. :)
By the way, nice looking boat. :)

Chase
05-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Are you referring to the small size....I just rubbed it and it got bigger :D :D

Chase
05-16-2003, 01:00 PM
What are your plans for the weekend Tom, we only live a couple hours apart with a few good lakes in between....

Chase
05-16-2003, 01:02 PM
Hey Thanks Tom, I'll shoot you a five for that..
There some other pics in My gallery. Believe it or not, if you went into the Campion Boats web site, you will see my boat in there, since I bought the boat they used inthe photo shoot..Famous or what??

Tom Brown
05-16-2003, 01:06 PM
I've got a couple of things to finish on my boat before I can hit the water. It'll be a couple of weeks for me.
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/Boating/CVX-16/HullProject2002/27-May-02/IMG_1483w.jpg
Actually, it's a little further along than that. :D
The hull is back together, painted, and the engine is back on. It needs a bunch of electrical rigging and I've got some stuff to do on the fuel system but I expect to be on the water in a couple of weeks. :)

Chase
05-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Well keep me posted!!!

mmered8299
05-18-2003, 11:03 AM
I have two covers. One is canvas and the other is called a "sock," it goes on first. It is made out of some soft material, like your socks. It protect your gelcoat from your canvas. I use it on long hauls, otherwise Im topless.

Havasu Hangin'
05-18-2003, 02:19 PM
mmered8299:
I have two covers. One is canvas and the other is called a "sock," it goes on first. It is made out of some soft material, like your socks. It protect your gelcoat from your canvas. I use it on long hauls, otherwise Im topless. Great idea.
I've used my tow cover, and I get gel "burns" where the staps flap close enough to touch the gel, and where a seam has any movement for long periods of time- like the top of the deck...it occasionally will move.
It doesn't kill the gel, but you have to buff it out. Not good if your gel is thin in that spot- like a corner.
78delaminator- you gel has to be shiny to notice. Also, if it has caught on fire before, you probably won't notice. http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy06.gif
I've put towels down to keep the canvas from touching the gel...but I really like the sock idea.

Mohavekid
05-18-2003, 03:48 PM
I've towed for years with a custom fitted towing cover and never a problem with gel burns.
The trick is to make sure the cover fits extremely well with minimal movement in the wind.
The generic one size fits all covers are only good when the boat is stationary.

Havasu Hangin'
05-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Mohavekid:
The trick is to make sure the cover fits extremely well with minimal movement in the wind.Just curious...how do you keep the straps from moving?

Mohavekid
05-18-2003, 04:34 PM
My cover comes down 8-10 inches from the rub rail. It has 5 tie downs per side which I tie to the trailer frame. I use 1/4" cotton rope for the tie downs. The cover has a draw string to snug it tight which ties at the rear. Each of the tie downs has a small flap where the rope is attached to the cover so if it does flap in the wind, the part that hits the boat is the flannel backing covering the tie down attachment.
All of the high stress contact points where the cover rubs on the windshield, deck and upholstery, are backed by soft cotton flannel material.
I've towed thousands of miles with this cover and never a mark on the boat. It is kind of a pain taking it on and off, but I find it worth it. It was pretty expensive to have made too, I paid about $600 for it 10 years ago.

Back To Havasu
05-18-2003, 04:59 PM
I would never tow with a cover on again. If someone is insistent that a towing cover is needed, it might be advisable to fasten the cover only to the hull. Otherwise, if the cover straps are fastened to the trailer and the boat flexes on the trailer due to road conditions, etc., the chance for gel damage is increased. Just my $.02. wink

XLGPP
05-18-2003, 05:50 PM
al cole'holic:
I have never towed with the cover on with the PIG, but the last one I did and it just got ****ed up. Anytime you see your cover moving while on the road it is moving on the gel...I couldn't see having a shitload of snaps all over the boat to do a cover like that...I think it looks pretty shitty when someone rolls up and the thing is full of snaps along the tops...
Hey XLGPP any pics of your ride?? I agree with the snaps, they wanted to put em on my boat when they built it and poweder coat em white and I said NO WAY!
here is my ride... I just got Mrs. Xlgpp's done and will post his and hers pics soon.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/60my_monster_shruck_.jpg
it has chrome rocker panel on bottom now too