PDA

View Full Version : Darwinism at its best

Essex502
07-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Sad but true:
Man dies in fall from boat
By Matt Bunk
A 21-year-old California man died Saturday after falling out onto the roadway from a boat in tow.
Blair William McCartney of Santee, Calif., had been boating with friends on Lake Havasu and was asleep in the boat when it was retrieved from the launch ramp at Lake Havasu State Park, Windsor Beach, according to a city official.
McCartney may have tried to exit the boat while it was being towed, said city spokesman Charlie Cassens.
Alcohol appears to be a factor, Cassens said.
“The information that I got from the police department was that - although we haven’t got the results yet from a blood-alcohol analysis - this guy was passed out in the passenger compartment of a small cabin cruiser-type boat,” Cassens said.
The accident occurred in the 1300 block of Lake Havasu Avenue. Witnesses told police that McCartney was the only person in the boat at the time.
“They looked back in their rearview mirrors and saw him step out of the boat,” Cassens said.
McCartney was pronounced dead just after 6 p.m. upon arrival at Havasu Regional Medical Center.

MagicMtnDan
07-07-2003, 08:09 AM
That's awful to hear about. Based on the limited information in the brief article, I have to wonder about the sanity of the people driving the tow rig! As I see it, THEY'RE responsible for (a) leaving him in the boat and (b) driving a vehicle with someone in the towed trailer which has to be illegal.
The poor guy may have been intoxicated but perhaps his worst decision was his choice of "friends" who should have taken better care of him (put him in the tow vehicle).
That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it until I get more info.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-07-2003, 08:30 AM
I think, not 100% sure though, that it is legal to ride in a boat when it is being towed to and from the launch ramp in AZ. I recall something being said about this in an earlier thread from last year sometime. If that is the case, then the people in the tow rig did not do anything legally wrong.

superdave013
07-07-2003, 09:06 AM
RiverDave:
Actually it's perfectly legal in AZ. Not in CA though.
RD It might be legal but I remember you getting our passed out victim out of the boat and in the truck after OP6.
It's really legal to ride in a boat getting trailered down the road in AZ? I can see around the ramp but it sounds like they were out on the street.

Essex502
07-07-2003, 09:11 AM
Just hope this "accident" doesn't go into the books as an alcohol related "boating accident"!
Yeah....some friends he had.