PDA

View Full Version : what batteries to use

ed bullock
01-18-2003, 11:43 AM
i buy the deep cell marine batteries but they only last a couble seasons. i guess from sitting idle in the winter its hard on them. my question is why not buy the cheapest batterie if they last as long as the expensive ones ?

Havasu Hangin'
01-18-2003, 12:24 PM
ed bullock:
...my question is why not buy the cheapest batterie if they last as long as the expensive ones ? I had a friend of mine that used to buy the Chief Auto Parts batteries, and replace them every year. He would just run them down, and they would give him a new one over the counter.
However, I think that Kragen prorates them now, so you'll have to pay to do that.
If you buy the better deep cycle batteries and want them to last, put a battery maintainer on them over the winter, and in-betwwen trips. They'll probably last longer.
It's gotta be cheaper than buying new batteries every couple years.

burtandnancy
01-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Ed, I've mentioned this before, but I put a set of Exide nautilus (gel filled) in a boat that lived at Lake Mead for 6 years. They were stronger when I sold it than when they were new. I'll never use liquid filled batteries again. Every spring when I got it ready for the season, they were fully charged and I don't use a battery tender either...

VillainDave
01-19-2003, 02:37 AM
I use OPTIMA's in every thing I have they stay in the boat all wither long and I haven't ever had on freeze on me they are a little high in price but it's well worth the money!

Moomawnster
01-19-2003, 04:01 AM
I keep a rotating string of batteries available .... If the boat gets weak I put in a new one and give the old one to my work truck .... nothing sucks worse than turning the key and hearing ..... click, click, bzzzzz... when you are drifting downriver towards the falls ! eek!

rude235
01-19-2003, 03:11 PM
i use optimas also and love them. good thing is that they can take the pounding from running in rough water and won't leak anything like the regular batteries will.

ed bullock
01-19-2003, 07:34 PM
thanks for the replys. the gell cells sound good. i may go in that direction.

Rexone
01-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Ditto...optima's kick ass :)

JetBoatRich
01-19-2003, 08:59 PM
When I have to replace batteries, that is the way I am going. Gel-Cells