PDA

View Full Version : jacuzzi jets any good?

W.O.T
03-21-2006, 06:45 PM
im lookin to buy my first jet boat soon after i sell the outboard. i looked at a boat with a jacuzzi pump. i was advised to try to stick with a berkley jet by the local shops. any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

malcolm
03-21-2006, 07:00 PM
There's 2 different kinds of Jacuzzi pumps. WJ which is a mixed flow, like a Berkeley, and a YJ that is an axial style pump. The WJ is rumored to be around 10% less efficient than the Berk design and the YJ is around 20% less. That's if you believe the claims made by American turbine in the sales pitch for their energizer kits, which replaces the rear half of the Jacuzzi parts in favor of their (Berk clone) AT parts.
I run the WJ pump and I have no complaints, except for the lack of aftermarket goodies available for them.

Duane HTP
03-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Basically that's pretty good advise. Jacuzzi made several jets. The two most common are the WJ and YJ pumps. The WJ is a pretty good pulling pump for family boating and such. The YJ is a problem child, I'd definately stay away from one of those. There is a little tag on top of the thrust bearing at the front of the pump that will tell you which one it is. This will probably open a can of worms, someboby will come on here and say I have one and it works fine. And they probably do, but, that's not the norm. Good luck, Jet Boating is a LOT of FUN!

malcolm
03-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Ha, if I'd known Duane was online tonight I'd have shut up. :D

YeLLowBoaT
03-21-2006, 07:04 PM
If your just looking for something to cruz/ ski around the lake or river, it really does not matter that much. IF you want somthing to go fast, then I would look at something with a berk( or clone)

Duane HTP
03-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey Man, say your piece. If I'd seen your answer first, I'd not have written. We must have both been writing at the same tiime.

wsuwrhr
03-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Wait...keep looking
Buy a Berk
Brian

W.O.T
03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
thanks you guys i appreciate all the advice.

wsuwrhr
03-21-2006, 10:41 PM
BTW,
I DO own a Jacuzzi.
I had no idea what I was buying when I got my first boat. Never again.
Brian

W.O.T
03-22-2006, 03:58 PM
i will take the advice i tried to price a droop snoot today and was told they dont even make one for a jacuzzi.

wsuwrhr
03-22-2006, 04:12 PM
i will take the advice i tried to price a droop snoot today and was told they dont even make one for a jacuzzi.
I modified the WJ bowl to accept Berk accessories so I could use a droop.
The Berk diverter was cheaper by $200 I think.
Brian

wsuwrhr
03-22-2006, 04:19 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63pumpshot.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Actually there is one but it is a VERY rare piece!!!! Tom@ jetboatperformance had one on his son's boat. I tried to buy it when I had a jacuzzi but no dice. I think superjet made one back in the day but not positive. If the boat is clean and it has a wj then it would mork fine. BUT if your looking for lots of speed, then look for a berk,dominator,american turbine or aggressor. Duane nailed it right on the head;)

n8dawg
03-22-2006, 05:00 PM
I have a jacuzzi wj on my boat. This is my first boat, but if I knew then what I know now I would have held off for a BBC with a berkley instead I got a 455 with a jacuzzi. Oh well I guess I'm kicking it "old style"
Later
Nate

460 WJ
03-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Actually there is one but it is a VERY rare piece!!!! Tom@ jetboatperformance had one on his son's boat. I tried to buy it when I had a jacuzzi but no dice. I think superjet made one back in the day but not positive. If the boat is clean and it has a wj then it would mork fine. BUT if your looking for lots of speed, then look for a berk,dominator,american turbine or aggressor. Duane nailed it right on the head;)
I bought that super jet piece from Tom late last year.. I will be putting it on soon..

Triton
03-22-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a WJ and alot of work in to her and she will it over 70.

wsuwrhr
03-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I have a jacuzzi wj on my boat. This is my first boat, but if I knew then what I know now I would have held off for a BBC with a berkley instead I got a 455 with a jacuzzi. Oh well I guess I'm kicking it "old style"
Later
Nate
You and me both.
At least I got rid of the OLDS.
Brian

n8dawg
03-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Brian- Hey I'm impressed with that work you did on the pump. I assume that you had to take the pump out to machine it? One more question. I looked into getting and adapter that I can bolt on so it will allow the use of berkley droops and diverters. Do you think that would be a good way togo instead of machining the bowl?
Nate

thehookerman
03-25-2006, 12:31 PM
wsuwrhr how much is it to set up a jacuzzi pump like yours I also have a wj would like to know ,also what are some other modification's can you do to that pump besides doing a energizer kit if any?maybe you could answer this question to if you look in gear heads section under rear motor mounts do I have to pull my motor to replace those rubber mounts? thank you for any advice.

wsuwrhr
03-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Brian- Hey I'm impressed with that work you did on the pump. I assume that you had to take the pump out to machine it? One more question. I looked into getting and adapter that I can bolt on so it will allow the use of berkley droops and diverters. Do you think that would be a good way togo instead of machining the bowl?
Nate
Thanks Nate,
I did take the pump out, but not to machine it.
You only need to remove the bowl to modify it. Easy deal really.
I didn't want to bolt an adapter with the four stock bolts and bolt on something to the adapter with 8 bolts. Didn't make sense engineering-wise to me.
I'm sure it would work, add o-rings and whatever. I just wouldn't do it.
Brian

wsuwrhr
03-25-2006, 02:01 PM
wsuwrhr how much is it to set up a jacuzzi pump like yours I also have a wj would like to know ,also what are some other modification's can you do to that pump besides doing a energizer kit if any?maybe you could answer this question to if you look in gear heads section under rear motor mounts do I have to pull my motor to replace those rubber mounts? thank you for any advice.
about 350 to mod the bowl.
I also added a Berk impeller into the Jacuzzi pump, so I had to modify or make my own shaft. I had twisted the stock Jac the first time out with the Dodge so I made one out of 17-4 and I gundrilled it too. Came out sweet.
Jacuzzi impellers aren't as good as a Berk, and I wanted better availabilty of impellers.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
bump up for n8dog

taylormanss
04-04-2006, 08:57 PM
if ya pick up the jacuzzi I know a guy in corpus christi,tx. who has a diverter for it!

n8dawg
04-05-2006, 06:07 PM
thank you. Got your pm. I'll be calling you.
thanks again.
Nate

Squirtin Thunder
04-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Jacuzzi Parts (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=110268)

Ralph Brunt
04-07-2006, 11:21 AM
i'm getting an energizer kit put in my yj i'll let you know how it turns out ralph

wsuwrhr
04-07-2006, 01:36 PM
i'm getting an energizer kit put in my yj i'll let you know how it turns out ralph
YJ and WJ are two completely different pumps.

79Challenger
04-10-2006, 07:59 AM
I have a jacizzi, but can really get a lock on which one. Anybody got a good description of the two?

moparjet
04-10-2006, 08:28 AM
A Wj Has 4 Bolts Holding The Nozzel On,a Yj Is One Piece

79Challenger
04-10-2006, 09:00 AM
A Wj Has 4 Bolts Holding The Nozzel On,a Yj Is One Piece
Great... its a YJ.

dankwhitey
04-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I have a siezed WJ pump, just bought the boat replaced the thrust bearing took it out for about 3 hours and it siezed (guess I should have brought it to a proffesional) damm tolerances!. But anyway is it hard to replace it with a berkely pump?? I see them on EBAY for as much as its going to cost me to have this one done proffesionaly... also off the subject whats a good polish to bring back paint from 1975 check out the pic

wsuwrhr
04-10-2006, 07:57 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63pumpshot.JPG
WJ pump