PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell

SDLifesaver
01-01-2003, 02:10 PM
I want to plan a trip in 2004. Who has the info on what to do/not to do. Thanks. Nick

77charger
01-01-2003, 03:14 PM
House boat is the thing to do but can be pricey,The waweap area is a good spot too there are campgrounds there but they are not on the water.Lone rock has camps onthe water and is about 10 min away but the camping is primitive style(no assigned spaces,hook ups or running water)but there are restooms now!The weather can turn vey quick(monsoons)but they also go quick

beer hunter
01-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Wahweap is a great place to start. The Wahweap Lodge is on the water next to the launch ramps and is a great place to stay if you just want to do day trips!We're planning a trip this july and will be staying there, it's close to the town of Page so you can find some nice resturants for dinner.

TCHB
01-01-2003, 03:46 PM
We have been in a house boat and stayed in a hotel in Page. They both have advantages and are both nice. If you do not have many people I would opt for the hotel it is simple.

SDLifesaver
01-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I know we want a house boat and I think, since I am planning the trip that we are gonna stay at least 8 days. 4 or 5 couples and maybe a few kids. Does anybody know a good house boat rental that has nice equipment and fair prices. Also, are there any secrets like bring more water, gas, fire wood. I am looking for tips to make a long trip awesome. What is the best time to go, best route from LHC, how long. I have never been and I have heard horror stories next to fairytale stories. Hook a brother up!!!!!!!!

beer hunter
01-01-2003, 08:15 PM
SDLifesaver,check out these web sites both are a great resource for info on lake powell.ARAMARK is the only licensed house boat company on the lake. Lake Powell.Com is thier web site.Lots of luck! :D lakepowell.com (http://www.lakepowell.com) riverlakes.com (http://www.riverlakes.com)

SDLifesaver
01-01-2003, 08:26 PM
You tha man Beer Hunter!!!!!!!! Nick

Uplink
01-01-2003, 11:02 PM
We did the hotel thing in Page and it worked out well. Much cheaper than a houseboat. Most resturants in Page were within walking distance. We used the Antelope Point launch, about the same distance as Wahweap, only less crowded, more parking, and a closer walk to your truck from the ramp. You will love Powell, bring a GPS if you can (its huge) also take the boat through some slot canyons. Mark :cool:

jm2drvr
01-01-2003, 11:12 PM
4-5 couples? make sure you are all really good friends. A house boat trip for a week can turn best friends into worst enemies.

JetBoatRich
01-02-2003, 04:23 AM
jm2drvr:
4-5 couples? make sure you are all really good friends. A house boat trip for a week can turn best friends into worst enemies. That is what I hear from people all the times. Couple combined with kids, could be issues after a few days.
[ January 02, 2003, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

SDLifesaver
01-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Thanks again everyone. I looked at the site beer hunter gave and it was filled with info. I have heard the same thing from people about friends to enemies on a house boat. It just looks like so much fun. Maybe we will have to do some serious screening before we make our choices. I like the hotel idea too, but i have heard the lake is HUGE and if you keep going back to the ramp for the night it's like starting all over again everyday to see the good sights. Keep sending your thoughts. Nick

Skaterfast
01-02-2003, 08:56 AM
Plan for an August trip because the hottest part of the year up there might not see 100.Get a large(or maybe all) non refundable advance payment from those who are going to be on the boat.You don't want to be stuck with a big bill.My dog died,got laid off,boat motor blew up 2 weeks prior,anything can happen for someone to pull the plug.You should go this year,I'll be there in August.

flat broke
01-02-2003, 10:00 AM
I'd definately say go, but I think you'll have a tough time finding a decent houseboat for summer out of wahweep by this time of the year. If you rent a house boat, do yourself a favor and get something in the 50' plus range. The smaller boats are nasty, have less efficient a/c / generators, less septic capacity for the ladies, and are just all around not as nice. If I was trying to get a group together for a houseboat trip for next summer, I'd find a timeshare owner that wants to sell their week on the boat for one reason or another. The time share boats are kept in a better state of repair than the rentals and are usually newer. As suggested above, get everyone's payment upfront because it's expensive and you don't want to be left having to come up with an extra grand or more to cover your buddy who flakes out.
Check out these threads for more info:
http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003930
http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000122
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000684#000000
http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000089
Chris

burtandnancy
01-02-2003, 10:42 AM
Everything said above is right on. We found the large (59') houseboats to run over $1,000 per day and we only used it for a day camp as we use larger cruisers to see the sights. Consider staying in Page, the daily gas back to town will be well worth it. Be sure to see the Fatali Gallery in Page and Zion...

SDLifesaver
01-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Thanks again for the new posts and pictures. The wife and I had a long talk lastnight and I think we have a good group of friends that can handle a close quarters trip for a week. How long does it take to get to Powell from Havasu? Our boat holds 70 gallons of fuel. Is that enough for a day trip or do we need to think about more? 496MAG? I gotta go to work. Be home in the morning to check this. Nick

Powerquestboy
01-03-2003, 11:26 AM
SDlifesaver, If you want to do Lake Powell right you have to stay on the lake. The Lake is absolutely incredible. House boat from Wahweap is the best idea 50+ for that many people. The best thing to do is tow all your small boats to your camp site with the house boat (saves allot of gas). Once you find a good spot make that your base for a few days and use small boats to site see. A house boat with that many people shouldnt be too expensive but watch your gas thats how those trips get expensive. I would stay away from July because it can get pretty hot and stay away from Lone Rock if you have kids. Its loud and can get pretty crazy at times (unless thats what your looking for). The best thing about Powell is being able to get away from people. Good Luck