PDA

View Full Version : computer virus?

beyondhelpin
02-15-2003, 10:29 AM
first i broke my shoulder yesterday so cut me some slack on anything that requires 2 hands on key board. i am running windows xp pro with norton system works on a dell 933. i have 4 seperate idenities set up on computer for kids and wife and myself.
the problem i am having is that on any idenity other than my own, any blank that you can type in such as search boxes, the computer just takes off and starts typing in the boxes making it practicaly impossible to fill out a form or do a search.
Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?? Suggestions?

572Daytona
02-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Try clearing your auto complete history or disabling it completely. In internet explorer go to tools - Internet options. Select the Content tab and click the AutoComplete button and you will see the AutoComplete options. First try the Clear Forms and Clear Passwords buttons, if that doesn't fix it uncheck the Use Autocomplete for boxes.

Infomaniac
02-15-2003, 02:56 PM
beyondhelpin:
first i broke my shoulder yesterday so cut me some slack Man you must be a hitter. Were you carrying the rest of your crew?
Sorry, could not resist. You need FMLA dude. I can fix you up.

beyondhelpin
02-15-2003, 04:38 PM
thanks info
idont know if you might of heard or not but i broke it on our new multi million dollar dock. definitly have some problems with the dock design. the wing guys are dropping like flies. my injury is probally going to prompt a little bit of a lookse into why there have been so many injuries in such a short amount of time.

beyondhelpin
02-15-2003, 04:40 PM
hey thanks i am going to give it a shot and see if it works.

bigq
02-15-2003, 04:47 PM
If your taling about Internet Explorer, go to tools in the top bar---> Internet Options--->
Advanced--->go to browsing section and uncheack "use InlineAutoComplete"
Hope this helps, Wayne

bigq
02-15-2003, 04:49 PM
Doh! sorry didn't see your post 572.

beyondhelpin
02-15-2003, 04:57 PM
just tried it. did not work. it will just start typing sentences which may or may not make sence. the fist time my daughter showed it to me she thought it might be some kind of plot with scrambled words and part sentenses. just then it was talking about the stock market.
hey i might want to go back and read that one just in case it might telling the future. lol

572Daytona
02-16-2003, 11:19 AM
Hmm...unless your keyboard has some sort of programmable macro capability I'm not sure what it could be. I've never heard of a virus with the symptoms you've described, unless it is a trojan that lets someone else control your computer remotely and is typing the stuff themselves. You may want to try setting up new identities and see if the problem goes away, if so just delete the old identities after setting up new ones.

beyondhelpin
02-16-2003, 05:47 PM
it does have some touch buttons for functions called i-touch made by logitech. do you think that my keyboard is what is causing the problems. the buttons are set up to bring up certain web sites or functions.

572Daytona
02-16-2003, 07:18 PM
It could be...I had an old gateway anykey computer that every now and then I would accidently program a keystroke combination in and would have to clear it out. Get out your manual or check on logitec's web site and see if there is a way to reset it to factory defaults. Or if you have another computer, just swap the keyboards and see if the problem goes away (make sure you shut down the computers before plugging in or unplugging the keyboard)