PDA

View Full Version : Boating accident kills three on Parker Strip

RVRGIRL
09-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Boating accident kills three on Parker Strip
By Sharon Dunham
A hit-and-run boating collision on the Parker Strip Friday night claimed the lives of three young Californians, and left a fourth one in critical condition in a Phoenix hospital.
The La Paz County SheriffÂ’s Department has contacted California law enforcement authorities for help in locating Grier Rush, a 62-year-old Californian, who was responsible for the collision. LaPaz County has issued a $1 million felony bond warrant for Rush, who fled the accident scene in a 20-foot motorboat that carried two other passengers. Rush is being charged with failure to stop after a watercraft collision that results in death or serious physical injury. No one on that boat was injured.
The boaters who died, two 17 or 18-year-old females and a 21-year-old male, were also in a 20-foot motorboat. An 18-year-old injured male was taken to the LaPaz Regional Hospital before being air evacuated to a Phoenix hospital.
The identities of the deceased victims and the injured victim are all being withheld until family members are notified, said La Paz Deputy Sheriff Jerry Burns, a boating accident investigator. Burns said, however, that all the victims all had local ties.
The accident occurred in front of the Rio Lindo housing project on the Parker strip, 5 miles south of Parker Dam, at 6:30 p.m.
Authorities suspect alcohol was involved in the accident, but could not confirm this until an autopsy report is released of the deceased driver.
The accident is still under investigation. Both boats have been impounded at the LaPaz County SheriffÂ’s Department facility.
You may contact the reporter at sdunham@havasunews.com.

little rowe boat
09-20-2003, 10:10 PM
That really sucks.I was reading about the collision on another thread but their were no details.My prayers go out to all the families involved.

CEO
09-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Shit, my brother and his family are there this weekend. Hope they are safe

RVRGIRL
09-20-2003, 11:13 PM
I ALSO GOT THIS EMAIL. I FEEL SOOO BAD. WISH I COULD DO SOMETHING. I GUESS ALL WE CAN DO IS PRAY. SURE DOESN'T SEEM LIKE ENOUGH.
Thank you for the information regarding the accident. One of the girls killed was my niece, Ashley Rollins of Mission Viejo, CA. She was 18, going to college, working and saving money. Our family is devastated. Spent most of the last 24 hours with family and friends – tough time here. You mentioned alcohol and an autopsy report. It was the family’s suspicion that Rush may have been intoxicated. Is the driver of the victim’s boat also suspected of DUI?
Very hard to get details of the accident here and the family needs the straight story. I do know that the other girl killed was AshleyÂ’s friend from college and that her brother was also killed. Apparently the other male was a friend. I did not know the other kids, but that family lost both of their children. How could anyone leave the scene with those kids dying in the water?
Craig Ryan

Kindsvater Flat
09-20-2003, 11:23 PM
I feel very sorry for Craig and his family. They have a long road ahead of them to get through all of this.

Kilrtoy
09-20-2003, 11:48 PM
We will pray for you that they are caught and brought to JUSTICE....

topless
09-21-2003, 12:11 AM
Kilrtoy:
We will pray for you that they are caught and brought to JUSTICE.... I don't know about you, but I will and am praying for ALL involved and their families. I don't think whoever caused the accident went to the river to intentionally cause this and they also have to LIVE with the fact that they cost innocent people their lives. It would be different if it was a drive by or an out right murder. Everyone who goes to the river goes to have fun. NOT to cause harm. From what I understand, they were kids. I know their age is no excuse but I've seen death upclose and personal and unless it was intentional, the person or persons who caused it still have to live with it. That is something that will never end for them. Think about it. They are ALL in my prayers.

BGMAN203
09-21-2003, 12:15 AM
topless:
Kilrtoy:
We will pray for you that they are caught and brought to JUSTICE.... I don't know about you, but I will and am praying for ALL involved and their families. I don't think whoever caused the accident went to the river to intentionally cause this and they also have to LIVE with the fact that they cost innocent people their lives. It would be different if it was a drive by or an out right murder. Everyone who goes to the river goes to have fun. NOT to cause harm. From what I understand, they were kids. I know their age is no excuse but I've seen death upclose and personal and unless it was intentional, the person or persons who caused it still have to live with it. That is something that will never end for them. Think about it. They are ALL in my prayers. I don't agree with anything you said, I have a big problem with the hit and run bullsh*t....I don't care what the excuse, you NEVER do that!!
[ September 21, 2003, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: BGMAN203 ]

Kilrtoy
09-21-2003, 12:20 AM
I dont agree with what she said
It may have been an accident, but to leave people possibly dead(WHICH THEY WERE) and just take off like you hit a squirrel. They obviously have no remorse. **** THEM..

topless
09-21-2003, 12:21 AM
[ September 21, 2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: topless ]

Kilrtoy
09-21-2003, 12:23 AM
What the **** is wrong with you the kids are dead, THe old ass PERSON is who split.....

topless
09-21-2003, 12:27 AM
Kilrtoy:
It may have been an accident, but to leave people possibly dead(WHICH THEY WERE) and just take off like you hit a squirrel. They obviously have no remorse. **** THEM.. You know what? No matter what I said you wouldn't agree with me. You seem to just like to disagree with anything I say so GO hit a squirrel.

BGMAN203
09-21-2003, 12:31 AM
belive me or not I didn't type that the way I ment. I have since changed it, my bad.
[ September 21, 2003, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: BGMAN203 ]

BGMAN203
09-21-2003, 12:36 AM
topless:
Kilrtoy:
It may have been an accident, but to leave people possibly dead(WHICH THEY WERE) and just take off like you hit a squirrel. They obviously have no remorse. **** THEM.. You know what? No matter what I said you wouldn't agree with me. You seem to just like to disagree with anything I say so GO hit a squirrel. I think you need to go read the article again, real slooowwwwly. It says the 62 year old man SPLIT!

Kilrtoy
09-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Sometimes SHE is too smart for her own good

topless
09-21-2003, 12:54 AM
I know 3 are dead. 1 critical. I know kids were involved. I also know EVERYONE involved was/is a person no matter what age. I also know that no matter what the age, fear was involved. I have never and hope never to be involved in anything like that. My opinions don't really matter here but like I said before, ALL involved are in my prayers. A life is a life. I'm still crying over this tragedy because one of our board members is involved. If you guys want to bash me for this, please do it in the form of a PM so I don't have to be mean in front of everyone. Thanks

Kwicherbichen
09-21-2003, 01:46 AM
Folks, lets not jump to any conclusions with regard to guilt or innocence. Keep in mind, things that are reported in the news aren't always facts. If it is a fact that it was a hit & run then the individual will pay. They have his name. Although it is illegal and I believe morally wrong to leave the scene of an accident it won't change the fact that 3 people were killed & one seriously injured. Since we weren't there to witness the accident, we can not know what the other driver's intention was after the accident. Perhaps he didn't think it was as bad as it has come to be and his own boat was in danger of sinking as a result of the collision? I'm not making excuses for anyone involved. My point is, we just don't know at this point.
The only thing "we" really know at this point is that 3 are dead & 1 is trying to make it. As for the rest of the investigation, please let Boat Cop and his colleagues handle the investigation and justice.
While the investigation is underway lets pull together as a group and support the families that are experiencing a great deal of loss right now. Surely, there is someone from the boards that is close to the family. Hopefully they can guide us as to how we can help.

BigBoyToys
09-21-2003, 02:58 AM
topless:
I'm still crying over this tragedy because one of our board members is involved. Well, it involved at least 2 board members directly. And I'm sure that when the names come out, you will be in more shock than you already are.
I know who was involved but don't ask me to reveal it because I won't out of respect for the families. This is truely a major tragedy.
Once again, my deepest heartfelt prayers go out to those involved and their families. And I will do anything I can to help out the families.
[ September 21, 2003, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

DansBlown73Nordic
09-21-2003, 03:33 AM
I am Shocked that it was a Hit and Run.....How can someone be involved in a accident that was as serious as this and just leave... burningm
I do think its strange they have the boat but not the operator. Did he swim home? To drunk to drive so he swam for shore. eek!
I have thought about this since I found out yesturday. This is very sad indeed. cry

Windy
09-21-2003, 05:24 AM
My deepest sympathy goes out to the families. My family has been a victom of a hit and run in the past and it just makes it all the more difficult to deal with.

JetBoatRich
09-21-2003, 05:36 AM
What a terrible story and more families are devastated by someone poor choice of his actions. Possibly driving while drinking and then leaving the scene.
I believe you must take responsibility for your actions/decisions you make.
Our thoughts will be with the families as they heal through this tragedy.

cigarette1
09-21-2003, 06:26 AM
It seems like the new thing to do is to leave the scene of the accident whenever alcohol is involved. A real chiken$hit move.
In the interest of fairness:
This could have very well been an innocent accident.
[ September 22, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: cigarette1 ]

Eze 2
09-21-2003, 06:38 AM
I know this much the older gentleman stayed. When I arrived on the scene maybe 10 minutes after it happened he was standing near shore holding his boat. After checking on the victims I went back and helped this gentleman load his boat on his trailer which had just arrived. He was then questioned by the police.

superdave013
09-21-2003, 06:42 AM
People, please be sensitive to what you say in this thread. One of our forum members died with his friends in that crash. And another one of our members lost his children.
Now with that said isn't Grier Rush the guy who builds the Rush GN hulls?
[ September 21, 2003, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

FMluvswater
09-21-2003, 06:52 AM
I have had a cold sick feeling in my guts since I first heard the news of this accident. My heart goes out to the friends and families of the victims and I wish them strength and all the support they need to get through this.
~FM
Cigarette
[ September 21, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: FMluvswaterbabe ]

NorCal Gameshow
09-21-2003, 07:00 AM
i'm very sorry to hear about three young lives ending. someone losing children is devistating..
the news story sounds a little strange, it has this guy convicted.. is the post an exact quote?
[ September 21, 2003, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: NorCal Gameshow ]

bigboy78
09-21-2003, 07:06 AM
My suggestion to Topless is when a topic like this comes up in the future don't just get on and start typing. Stop, get all the FACTS, then type. Just like the HTM accident too many people just got on and typed. If you are going to say anything about the accident besides(I hope everyone is ok or God rest their souls)just stop, get all the FACTS, read threw it, then type. There are a lot of people on these boards and even if we didn't know the victims personally, it still effects us all.

hoolign
09-21-2003, 07:20 AM
My condolences to all the familys involved.
However this is interpreted,is unimportant,the fact is some people lost their lives,which affects all of us,directly or indirectly.
I hope all of you who started bashing and making moronic comments, edit your posts so family members can read a post of mourning and sympathy not typical sandbar stupidity

Boatcop
09-21-2003, 08:06 AM
There are some inaccuracies and/or misinterpretation of info in the Havasu News article, so don't take that as gospel.
I'll have an official release later today. Once I send it out to the media, I'll post it here, or in a new thread.

Mandelon
09-21-2003, 08:12 AM
The whole thing sucks. The river hasn't been that crowded lately though. I am really surprised that this could happen. But holding on the casting of judgement till the facts come out seems prudent.
Boating is supposed to be fun, not dangerous. frown

hot_diggity_dog
09-21-2003, 08:52 AM
My thought's go out to my fellow boat member's and their families at this tragic time. :( :(
There are some inaccuracies and/or misinterpretation of info in the Havasu News article, so don't take that as gospel. I will wait and get the info from BoatCop, as I typicaly do. :rolleyes:
HDD frown

J540
09-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Mandelon:
The whole thing sucks. The river hasn't been that crowded lately though. I am really surprised that this could happen. But holding on the casting of judgement till the facts come out seems prudent.
Boating is supposed to be fun, not dangerous. :( Boating is fun and not dangerous, you need to keep your speed under control,and look be for turning. crowded NO. fast speeds YES.Surprised not hardly,just hope nothing happens to any one cuz we all feel bad when it does.look at this guy, well lets see small block in a white flatbottom, just haul'n the mail back'n forth.then puts a passenger in,and with no helmet.nice job :rolleyes: in chop.

BlownForce 29
09-21-2003, 09:44 AM
the other 2 victims are both from laguna hills area.

DogHouse
09-21-2003, 10:10 AM
I am very sorry to hear such terrible news. My most heartfelt sympathies go out to all of the families involved.
-brian

mike37
09-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Dam I hate hearing about fellow boaters or any one
Having to go through this
Sympathy to all involved

OGShocker
09-21-2003, 01:26 PM
Kwicherbichen:
While the investigation is underway lets pull together as a group and support the families that are experiencing a great deal of loss right now. Surely, there is someone from the boards that is close to the family. Hopefully they can guide us as to how we can help. Thanks Brian! We are here, if we can help please let me know how.
OGS

bigboy78
09-21-2003, 02:47 PM
One other note Topless I reread my post and I didn't think it was all that harsh. I was just trying to help you from getting slammed anymore. It wasn't personal I don't even know you.

DickDanger
09-21-2003, 03:10 PM
And people still question me when I say that I dont like going to HavaZoo/Parker on the weekends???
Most of these "accidents" are not what I would define as such. From the little bit of info that has been given, it sounds like bad judgement...again. How many times has someone turned in front of you without looking? How many times have YOU done it to someone?
I feel for the families that are suffering right now. Another case of something that was preventable. And then for the driver to flee..what a piece of shit. I hope that you burn in hell, you ****.
The animals can have that ****ing stretch of water on the weekends, and whoever happens to see me out there during ANY weekend, do yourself a favor and buy a lotto ticket immediately after, as the stars must be aligned.
-DD Out

AzDon
09-21-2003, 03:28 PM
An eyewitness has stated that Mr. Rush was questioned by police, so I would rather believe that they changed their minds about being done with him and he was gone at that point. The accident happened VERY close to Redrock, so I don't believe that going to shore with a possibly sinking boat necessarily equates to hit-and-run. I also HATE the unsubstantiated implications of SUSPECTED "alcohol involvement" by the police...HAVE THEY NO SHAME OR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE FAIR AND ACCURATE WHEN THIS MUCH PAIN IS INVOLVED?? It's my understanding that the "death boat" was traveling ahead of the Rush GN and made a sudden u-turn in front of him. This could happen to anybody, anywhere, anytime (think PWC's!!) How would you feel or act as the survivor of this accident?? People that want to rush to judgement need to stop, take a deep breath, and consider the depth of this tragedy for EVERYONE involved before expressing hurtful opinions! I know there is a lot of hurt, anguish, pain and even some anger after a tragedy like this, but as spectators, we need to reserve judgement until ABSOLUTE CONFIRMATION that someone has acted inappropriately. In the meantime, all we should be doing is offering our prayers, condolences and understanding to this tragic situation!! Here are some other posts:
http://www.v-driveboat.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=367

boatlessd
09-21-2003, 03:28 PM
My condolences go out to the families and friends. It sucks when anything like this happens because it is avoidable.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Friday in Parker was a nice, not to busy day on the water.
What a sad story,, my heart pains for these victims and their families.

jeffro
09-21-2003, 04:02 PM
my thoughts are with all - the kids, their families and mr. rush.
jeffro
frown

Boatcop
09-21-2003, 05:02 PM
An eyewitness has stated that Mr. Rush was questioned by police, so I would rather believe that they changed their minds about being done with him and he was gone at that point. The accident happened VERY close to Redrock, so I don't believe that going to shore with a possibly sinking boat necessarily equates to hit-and-run. I also HATE the unsubstantiated implications of SUSPECTED "alcohol involvement" by the police...HAVE THEY NO SHAME OR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE FAIR AND ACCURATE WHEN THIS MUCH PAIN IS INVOLVED?? The individual from the Rush boat that I interviewed at the scene was a passenger, not Rush himself. This passenger was the only one who had the decency to stick around. Rush and the other passenger were long gone by then.
The quote in the paper about alcohol involvement is the reporter's words, not ours. When we were asked if alcohol was involved, we stated that it was under investigation, just like every other aspect of the collision.
We do not speculate on our cases. We act on and report FACTS, The only facts that we know at this point, is that 3 young people are dead, and a fourth is critical. And that one of the drivers involved decided to get out of Dodge before the cops arrived.
Why did he leave? Only he and the person who secreted him away from Red Rock and drove him back to California Friday night know.

dmontzsta
09-21-2003, 06:37 PM
This sickens me. Sure we can say he was scared and fled. But then we could say if he would of turned around maybe he could of saved them (I dont know the impact). But either way, he should have stopped, it makes it look worse that he fled, cause in everyones mind he looks guilty. He knew he hit the boat, it wasnt a canoe it was a freakin jet hydro. Young lives are gone and it really touches home, they just wanted to have a good time. IMO: If they made a U-Turn who is to judge? and that being said if he would of stopped and showed some humanity by trying to help injured people it would of looked more like an "accident" and not him being a kamikazee and fleeing. I hope he gets what he deserves. My prayers to the family.

LVjetboy
09-22-2003, 02:13 AM
I boated the strip once, felt uncomfortable compared to what I'm used to. Haven't been back. It was fun don't get me wrong, but still uncomfortable, so I haven't gone back.
These kind of accidents can happen anywhere, but on a narrow river? The more likely a tight u-turn.
Before reading on understand I'm not drawing conclusions about this tragedy, just commenting.
The "evil demon" alcohol may well be credited as a factor in many accidents. Even if one party or the other had not consumed enough to make a difference in the outcome. In some ways prevailing attitudes in today's society, news and legal system demand that if any alcohol what-so-ever involved, no matter how small, then that was obviously THE KEY factor. BoatCop? I'm not questioning your fairness just what I see as a trend. No matter who was the true cause or even if no one at fault. Sometimes perception of guilt overshadows truth...that perception from a person with strong views on alcohol or otherwise. I also think prevailing attitude and the legal implications may lead some people to think twice about staying at a scene.
I'm not justifying fleeing the scene, just commenting on what seems a trend.
So you have a river with tight spaces. You have two boats nearly abeam and lead pulls a sudden u-turn right in front of you without clearing or warning. There's no time to react. There's NO time to react.
so then who's to blame? To me it makes sense that the person who turns without clearing is at fault. But then the person passing should allow enough room to react right? Maybe hard to do on a narrow river like the strip. So maybe the rule should be no passing allowed under any circumstances on a river? Doesn't seem realistic. Or if you don't clear your turn you will be at fault? Or maybe it was just an accident with no new rules needed? Either way, if either driver was drinking are they automatically at fault? With todays system I wouldn't be surprised.
How would you react after an accident like this when you had a few beers but knew you weren't at fault? Ever had someone change lanes in front of you with no time to react? But those two beers will automatically convict you no matter.
Once again, don't take this as my judgement on this tragedy. Just my comments on boating safety and attitudes towards alcohol.
jer

cal***boat
09-22-2003, 04:49 AM
http://www.powersportsphotography.com/BrowseEvents/RedRock/091903RedRock/cffs0297_std.jpg
IN MEMORY OF JOHN HERBERT, GOD BLESS HIM, WE WILL MISS YOU
Wayne & Jenna, My deepest thoughts and prayers are with you on this very tragic and sad day.
May GOD be with you both and help you overcome this loss of your two children.
I can not put into words anything that shows my sorrow for this loss except that all my prayers are with you.
Wayne & Jenna if there is anything that we can do for you please feel free to ask. We are all here for you
[ September 22, 2003, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: cal***boat ]

BADBLOWN572
09-22-2003, 05:24 AM
[ September 22, 2003, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: BADBLOWN572 ]

Seadog
09-22-2003, 07:21 AM
One thing I noticed is that the only suggestion that the boat that was hit was making a U-turn has been made by AZD. None of the original reports make any reference to that. I have to think that this is pure conjecture by AZD, like so much he posts.
I can also read the aggravation that BoatCop feels that Grier Rush left the scene. Alan, please remember that not all cases like this is from a driver trying to avoid a BAT. At his age and what happen, it could be a case of shock and an ignorant companian. You know that you will have little trouble getting an idea of how much, if any drinking he has done. Unfortunately, this case will probably be about the lawyers, but it is always so. My sympathy goes to you because I know how hard it is to deal with such a sad event. I don't think most people realize how much something like this can pain the people who have to deal with the aftermath.
[ September 22, 2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

BADBLOWN572
09-22-2003, 07:51 AM
I was at redrock the evening that this tragic event happened and there are so many rumors flying around about what occurred. While there I heard probably 5 different accounts of what happened so nothing is confirmed. In ALL rumors that I heard the hydro turned in front of the Rush boat. Lets give boatcop the opportunity to conduct his investigation prior to forming an opinion of what had happened. As for Rush leaving the scene, I heard from a few credible sources that he left the scene to consult with his attorney prior to making a statement to the law enforcement officials. As for being in an altered state of mind, who wouldn't be. I am not defending him at all, I am just saying look at the total picture. This person just (possibly) ran over four people,two died on scene, one was missing, and one was in critical condition. I am sure that when boatcop is finished with the investigation we will get answers instead of questions.

Laveyman
09-22-2003, 08:57 AM
RiverDave:
Dossangers, I can't even imagine what your going through. If there's anything I can do for you, consider it done.
To echo BadBlown's statements, I heard so many different accounts of "exactly" what happened that it would flat be irresponsible to put any of them online. Please don't add to the rumour mill by theorizing, or chipping in your .02. I can't imagine that it helps the investigation or the healing process for the families.
In my humble opinion, I don't think anything except for the expression of sorrow, and support for Dossangers should be in this thread, and if you think you know something of relevance to the case contact boatcop.
RD As opinionated as I can be...I couldn't have said it any better. Well put RD!

rrrr
09-22-2003, 09:38 AM
My most heartfelt condolences go out to those that lost family members. Words are obviously inadequate... I will pray that the pain you are feeling now will subside somewhat, and you will be able to always cherish the memories of your loved ones.
God, grant these folks strength to deal with this terrible ordeal.....

Hud
09-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Our deepest condolences go out to the familys of this devastating accident! We are in shock! Bob & Cathy.

Sherpa
09-22-2003, 11:37 AM
I've been looking thru alot of the "pics" section
and found numerous pics of the Herbert families
boats and kin.......
I am almost outraged at the total lack of human
compassion from Mr Rush.
I am deeply saddend for the Herbert family. May
God be with you in your time of need.
I've never met this family, and yet I come from
a similiar family. We always boated on our
vacations. we always camped together on our vacations. we lived our lives together... Much
like I would guess the Herbert family has done,
and will continue to do.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers
go out to the Herbert family.......
--Sherpa

Sherpa
09-22-2003, 11:38 AM
I've been looking thru alot of the "pics" section
and found numerous pics of the Herbert families
boats and kin.......
I am almost outraged at the total lack of human
compassion from Mr Rush.
I am deeply saddend for the Herbert family. May
God be with you in your time of need.
I've never met this family, and yet I come from
a similiar family. We always boated on our
vacations. we always camped together on our vacations. we lived our lives together... Much
like I would guess the Herbert family has done,
and will continue to do.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers
go out to the Herbert family.......
--Sherpa

cigarette1
09-22-2003, 12:25 PM
BADBLOWN572:
.... As for Rush leaving the scene, I heard from a few credible sources that he left the scene to consult with his attorney prior to making a statement to the law enforcement officials. As for being in an altered state of mind, who wouldn't be. I am not defending him at all, I am just saying look at the total picture. This person just (possibly) ran over four people,two died on scene, one was missing, and one was in critical condition..... That's a bunch of horse$shit .... burningm
[ September 22, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: cigarette1 ]

jenjen
09-22-2003, 12:30 PM
That really sucks!!!! Prayers will be with them!!!

C-2
09-22-2003, 12:54 PM
cigarette1:
BADBLOWN572:
.... As for Rush leaving the scene, I heard from a few credible sources that he left the scene to consult with his attorney prior to making a statement to the law enforcement officials. As for being in an altered state of mind, who wouldn't be. I am not defending him at all, I am just saying look at the total picture. This person just (possibly) ran over four people,two died on scene, one was missing, and one was in critical condition..... That's a bunch of horse$shit .... burningm Agreed and not meant to flame or point blame. We all have a consitutional right (5th Amendment) not to say anything until you have your attorney present, which you are reminded of via the Miranda warning. Who doesn't know this?
Just tragic, terrible news. Prayers to the families of all those involved. :( :( frown

SBullet
09-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Prayers & condolences go to the families who lost there loved ones!

hbhallett
09-22-2003, 02:13 PM
What can be said or written about a such a terrible event?
Our family will offer our prayers for you every night- My deepest sympathy goes out to this family.
John

syke-o
09-22-2003, 03:49 PM
This morning my coworker comes in and said she had a bad weekend. I ask "why is that"? She then says "her son in laws son was badly injured in a boating accident with three other dying, one of them his girlfriend and her brother and another friend; and that her daughter and son in law had been in the hospital all weekend." I was obviously saddened by the news. She did get a phone call from her daughter today saying that while in the hospital he was able to move a finger and a toe upon the docotrs request. I think that is the only positive, is that it looks like he will make it.
I am truly saddened and my heart goes out to the families.
Aaron

cigarette1
09-22-2003, 03:53 PM
It's a crying shame :(
Rest In Peace

LUVNLIFE
09-22-2003, 04:00 PM
How very sad, our thoughts and prayers are with EVERYONE.
The Luvnlifes

ColeTR1
09-22-2003, 04:12 PM
syke-o:
This morning my coworker comes in and said she had a bad weekend. I ask "why is that"? She then says "her son in laws son was badly injured in a boating accident with three other dying, one of them his girlfriend and her brother and another friend; and that her daughter and son in law had been in the hospital all weekend." I was obviously saddened by the news. She did get a phone call from her daughter today saying that while in the hospital he was able to move a finger and a toe upon the docotrs request. I think that is the only positive, is that it looks like he will make it.
Aaron syke-o Can you keep us posted on how he is doing. I was at the crash site about 10 minutes after it happen. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.

25 Eagle
09-22-2003, 05:34 PM
First off I feel so badly for the family. Being a father I can imagine the pride he had for his son watching him on the river in his own boat and the thrill he must have gotten drag racing with him in their boats. His pain must be unbearable, and I hope he can survive all of this. As for Rush, they say innocent until proven guilty, BUT what kind of human being leaves the seen of something like this if they have nothing to hide, and his buddy who got him out of there is no better. IMHO these two are POS and if they did what I think they did, rot in hell for the rest of their lives, and not get off like another POS named Ed Kennedy. Like I said IMHO

GottaJet
09-22-2003, 06:53 PM
My deepest sympathies to the Dossinger Family and all those involved.. :( frown

syke-o
09-22-2003, 08:21 PM
ColeTR1:
syke-o:
Aaron syke-o Can you keep us posted on how he is doing. I was at the crash site about 10 minutes after it happen. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved. ya i will try and keep everyone posted with his progress...

syke-o
09-22-2003, 08:21 PM
ColeTR1:
syke-o:
Aaron syke-o Can you keep us posted on how he is doing. I was at the crash site about 10 minutes after it happen. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved. ya i will try and keep everyone posted with his progress...

AzDon
09-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Today's Havasu newspaper (9/22/03) is reporting that Mr Rush turned abruptly and ran over the jetboat? WTF? This is the opposite of the way I heard it!
Boatcop- can you shed some light on the details of the accident? Havasu's newspaper is notoriously unreliable, but they claim to be getting their info from you! So is the story accurate or are they making this stuff up?

Moneypitt
09-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Don, please check your email.....Ray

Rexone
09-22-2003, 10:00 PM
I do not understand why everyone cannot just let Boatcop do his job, complete his investagation, then report the "facts" when he knows them as he's said he would do. Everything else including news reports contain high amounts of speculation to sell newpapers, tv ads, etc. (hype) as far as how, what, who, when, blah blah blah. Who is to blame, who cut in front of who, and why has no immediate bearing on the fact that a great trajedy has occurred. Give it a rest, the facts involving all of the above will come out in due time, no need to hound for it. If you really want to help the family's involved recover from this trajady, the less banter and speculation the better IMO. :)

gigamurph
09-22-2003, 10:17 PM
Our prayers for strength and courage go out to the families involved. Godspeed. frown

Faster Daddy
09-22-2003, 10:35 PM
I am deeply saddened by the news. Our family prays for those involved that each may find comfort and healing in this time of dispair.

superV
09-23-2003, 05:30 AM
My Prayers & condolences go to the families who lost there loved ones! May we all learn from this great loss and show eachother compassion and respect on the water. Words just can not say how sad this makes me feel.

Boatcop
09-23-2003, 05:33 AM
I am still investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash. I'm getting people coming forward with information daily, and I need to do follow up interviews with those I talked to on the scene.
I've given the exact same information to every reporter who's called, and they end up printing completely different accounts of the incident.
Don't rely on what's printed in the papers or talked about on TV news, it seems they can't get it right, no matter what I tell them.

BoatPI
09-23-2003, 05:45 AM
The hit and run issue is a true sign of a coward. Until Alan and his crew complete their investigation we will not know the cause. Sometines a varity of contributing factors are involved in colisions.
As far as the "attorney" thing. It does not deserve a dignified response.
And the "Miranda Warning", many states, including CA such a warning is not given, nor required when drugs or alcohol are suspected prior to admistering a one of several tests. The bottom line is you must provide a sample. In CA the courts have ruled a reasonable amount of force can be used to obtain a sample. Drawing blood is one example.
Not implying that anyone was under the influence in this tragic incident. The worst I have seen in my 30 years in boating.
The families are truly suffering at this point.

Kurtis500
09-23-2003, 06:35 AM
Isnt it funny how people blame the police about information in the newspaper. Talk about believing everything you read and distrusting the police and every chance. :rolleyes: yuk
Guess they dont have biased views..right?

hot_diggity_dog
09-23-2003, 06:36 AM
Boat manufacturer makes first court appearance
By: Joan M. Travis
PARKER — The man who authorities say is responsible for a boat collision that killed three young Californians made his first appearance in court Monday morning.
Grier Dean Rush, 62, Maywood, Calif., appeared before Judge John Drum in Parker Justice Court and was charged with a Class 5 felony, failure to stop after a watercraft collision that results in death or serious physical injury.
Drum told Rush that, if convicted, he would face a minimum of one year in prison, up to a maximum at 2 1/2 years.
Rush, owner of Rush Performance Boats, was reportedly piloting one of his own vessels Friday evening when it struck a Sanger jet boat being driven by Jonathan Herbert, 21, Laguna Hills, Calif., near Rio Lindo Shores on the Colorado River south of Parker Dam.
Herbert died along with his sister, Jaquel Herbert, 18, also of Laguna Hills, and Ashley Rollins, 18, Mission Viejo, Calif., who were both passengers in the boat. A third passenger, Josh Rogers, 18, was still in critical condition Monday at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix.
At Monday's hearing, Judge Drum issued an order that prevents Rush from having any contact with the victims' families. Attorney Michael Sutton, who was present to represent the victims and their families, said that Jonathan and Jaquel Herbert were considering the purchase of a boat from Rush.
Being held on $1 million bond, Rush asked the judge for a bail review because he couldn't afford to pay the bond. The judge directed him to make the request in writing.
Drum set Rush's preliminary hearing for Oct. 2.
Rush, accompanied by his attorney, Ron Cordova, surrendered to La Paz County deputies Sunday after local authorities requested assistance from California law enforcement officials in locating the suspect.
When Rush couldn't be found following the collision, he was initially thought to be one of the victims, said La Paz County Sheriff's Sgt. Alan Nelson.
Later there were reports that Rush had been seen in the area.
Nelson said Rush's attorney Cordova contacted Nelson Saturday night.
A press release from the La Paz County Sheriff's Office said that all parties involved were attending a V-drive powerboat event at Red Rock Campground.
Red Rock owner Sandy Bush said, "This is a social event not a racing event, as some of the media has portrayed. These are nice people who get together on an annual basis, barbecue and cruise on the river."
Bush said about 100 people attended.
Parker Tourism Director, Don Rolapp said, "This is such a tragedy ... we've such a great and safe summer."
Staff writer John Gutekunst contributed to this article.
HDD frown

THOR
09-23-2003, 06:55 AM
There is a big article in the LA Times this morning on the accident.
My prayers go out to all families involved.

hot_diggity_dog
09-23-2003, 07:12 AM
Thanks Thor
ORANGE COUNTY
Boat-Crash Driver Knew O.C. Family
Grier D. Rush had hoped to sell a boat to the parents of brother and sister who died.
By Christine Hanley and Mai Tran, Times Staff Writers
PARKER, Ariz.—The Maywood boat builder arrested in a fatal hit-and-run accident on the Colorado River over the weekend knew the victims' family socially and had hoped to sell them a boat, a lawyer representing the family said Monday.
At a court hearing Monday in Parker, La Paz County Justice of the Peace John Drum ordered Grier D. Rush, 62, to appear Oct. 2 to enter a plea. Drum also ordered Rush to have no contact with the victims' family if he is able to post the $1 million bail. The accident occurred about 6:30 p.m. Friday when Rush's speedboat collided with another carrying four young people from Orange County.
Three died at the scene: Jonathan Herbert, 21, and his sister Jacquel Herbert, 18, both of Laguna Hills; and Jacquel Herbert's best friend, Ashley Rollins, 18, of Mission Viejo. Jacquel Herbert's boyfriend, Josh Rogers, 18, also of Mission Viejo, was injured and reported in critical condition at a Phoenix hospital.
Rush, who owns Rush Marine Performance Boats in Maywood, was charged with fleeing the scene of a fatal boat accident.
Wayne and Jana Herbert, parents of two of the victims, clung to each other during Monday's hearing. Their attorney, Michael S. Sutton of Mission Viejo, said Rush and Wayne Herbert know each other socially through boating circles, and Rush had been making a sales pitch to Herbert for one of his boats during the informal regatta that river boating enthusiasts hold at this time each year to mark the end of summer.
Both men and their families had been vacationing at the river for about a week at the time of the crash.
"As you can imagine, [the Herberts] are just devastated at the loss of both of their children. It's a very, very difficult time for the family," Sutton said. The couple, who own a vacation home at Lake Havasu, 30 miles north of here, declined to speak to reporters.
After the court hearing, they were driven to a nearby maintenance yard where both boats are stored while authorities investigate. The couple looked at the craft in silence. The Herberts' 18-foot boat is intact, as is Rush's 20-footboat. La Paz County sheriff's investigators said both are V-Drive high-power runabouts.
Sheriff's supervising Sgt. Alan Nelson said investigators are interviewing witnesses and attempting to reconstruct events to determine who was at fault. Investigators have not said if they believe speed or alcohol were factors.
"Whose boat ran over whose boat — that's always the issue in these types of accidents," said prosecutor R. Glenn Buckelew, La Paz County Attorney in Parker. Without skid marks or other evidence common in auto accidents, "we end up relying heavily on eyewitnesses."
One of those, retired Hawthorne fire Capt. Bob Guy, said he saw the crash from his waterfront patio. He said the Herberts' boat was turning around to head upriver when it was broadsided by Rush's boat. Guy said it appeared that Rush attempted to slow down and steer around the other boat before they hit.
Guy said Rush's boat flew over the Herberts' boat, hitting the four occupants.
"It looked like [Rush] tried to avoid them. Had he gone any further [in attempting to avoid the collision] he probably would've hit the dock," said Guy, who also owns a home in Orange County's Trabuco Canyon.
Authorities said Rush fled after the accident. Deputies found his boat on a trailer hitched to a vehicle at the dock, but there was no sign of Rush. Rescuers believed at first that he was missing in the water because they could not locate him, said Buckelew. Investigators learned that Rush was alive and in California on Saturday, when his attorney, Ron Cordova, called them to announce that Rush would surrender the following day.
Sandy Bush, an owner of the Red Rock Resort — an RV campground where Rush and the Herberts were staying — said Rush had been a regular this summer. This was the first time she had seen the Herberts, she said.
"People know [Rush] because he builds boats. He's a nice man. He's been boating a long time," said Bush.
Robert Rollins, the 23-year-old brother of victim Ashley Rollins, said he heard of the accident as he was putting away his own family's boat. He then began crying when he said a friend returned minutes later to tell him Ashley had been injured in the accident. "I couldn't believe it," he said softly.
His sister, a Saddleback College student and part-time sales clerk at a Sav-On drug store, turned in her homework early and left last Tuesday with her family for Lake Havasu, where she met Jonathan and Jacquel Herbert, with whom she had been friends since childhood.
Rollins said he was angry over Rush's decision to flee.
"You can't just go over these kids and run away. He's evil," said Rollins.
Bobbi Ryan, Ashley Rollins' aunt, said the family is attempting to cope with her niece's death.
"You'd think that a 62-year-old man would be more responsible," said Ryan. "It is a tremendous loss. It is devastating and to hear that this man fled, I was so angry."
At the Herberts' two-story hillside home in Laguna Hills, flowers, candles and framed photographs formed a cross on the brick driveway.
Some photos were of Jonathan and Jacquel Herbert and friends on happier outings to the Colorado River.
The family enjoyed going to the river, said neighbor Lonnie Kay. "They always did everything together. Their children were their best friends. I don't know how you could deal with losing one child. But losing both — I just don't know," he said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Times staff writers H.G. Reza and Eric Malnic contributed to this story.
HDD frown

572Daytona
09-23-2003, 07:18 AM
hot_diggity_dog:
Grier Dean Rush, 62, Maywood, Calif., appeared before Judge John Drum in Parker Justice Court and was charged with a Class 5 felony, failure to stop after a watercraft collision that results in death or serious physical injury.
Drum told Rush that, if convicted, he would face a minimum of one year in prison, up to a maximum at 2 1/2 years.
Pure speculation, but what would the charge have been had he been found to be OUI (or extreme OUI) at the scene? From what I can find it would be Negligent Homicide (class 4 felony minimum jail time 4yrs), Vehicular Manslaughter (class 3, mimumum jail 5yrs) or 2nd Degree Murder (minimum jail time 10yrs). This may not be the case here but I find it distressing that the OUI laws have gotten severe to the point that they could encourage people to flee the scene rather than stay and render aid.
Just my 2 cents, in any case it is a very said situation and my prayers go out to the victims and their families.

BigBoyToys
09-23-2003, 07:20 AM
hot_diggity_dog:
Thanks Thor
ORANGE COUNTY
Boat-Crash Driver Knew O.C. Family
Grier D. Rush had hoped to sell a boat to the parents of brother and sister who died.
By Christine Hanley and Mai Tran, Times Staff Writers
PARKER, Ariz.—The Maywood boat builder arrested in a fatal hit-and-run accident on the Colorado River over the weekend knew the victims' family socially and had hoped to sell them a boat, a lawyer representing the family said Monday.
At a court hearing Monday in Parker, La Paz County Justice of the Peace John Drum ordered Grier D. Rush, 62, to appear Oct. 2 to enter a plea. Drum also ordered Rush to have no contact with the victims' family if he is able to post the $1 million bail. The accident occurred about 6:30 p.m. Friday when Rush's speedboat collided with another carrying four young people from Orange County.
Three died at the scene: Jonathan Herbert, 21, and his sister Jacquel Herbert, 18, both of Laguna Hills; and Jacquel Herbert's best friend, Ashley Rollins, 18, of Mission Viejo. Jacquel Herbert's boyfriend, Josh Rogers, 18, also of Mission Viejo, was injured and reported in critical condition at a Phoenix hospital.
Rush, who owns Rush Marine Performance Boats in Maywood, was charged with fleeing the scene of a fatal boat accident.
Wayne and Jana Herbert, parents of two of the victims, clung to each other during Monday's hearing. Their attorney, Michael S. Sutton of Mission Viejo, said Rush and Wayne Herbert know each other socially through boating circles, and Rush had been making a sales pitch to Herbert for one of his boats during the informal regatta that river boating enthusiasts hold at this time each year to mark the end of summer.
Both men and their families had been vacationing at the river for about a week at the time of the crash.
"As you can imagine, [the Herberts] are just devastated at the loss of both of their children. It's a very, very difficult time for the family," Sutton said. The couple, who own a vacation home at Lake Havasu, 30 miles north of here, declined to speak to reporters.
After the court hearing, they were driven to a nearby maintenance yard where both boats are stored while authorities investigate. The couple looked at the craft in silence. The Herberts' 18-foot boat is intact, as is Rush's 20-footboat. La Paz County sheriff's investigators said both are V-Drive high-power runabouts.
Sheriff's supervising Sgt. Alan Nelson said investigators are interviewing witnesses and attempting to reconstruct events to determine who was at fault. Investigators have not said if they believe speed or alcohol were factors.
"Whose boat ran over whose boat — that's always the issue in these types of accidents," said prosecutor R. Glenn Buckelew, La Paz County Attorney in Parker. Without skid marks or other evidence common in auto accidents, "we end up relying heavily on eyewitnesses."
One of those, retired Hawthorne fire Capt. Bob Guy, said he saw the crash from his waterfront patio. He said the Herberts' boat was turning around to head upriver when it was broadsided by Rush's boat. Guy said it appeared that Rush attempted to slow down and steer around the other boat before they hit.
Guy said Rush's boat flew over the Herberts' boat, hitting the four occupants.
"It looked like [Rush] tried to avoid them. Had he gone any further [in attempting to avoid the collision] he probably would've hit the dock," said Guy, who also owns a home in Orange County's Trabuco Canyon.
Authorities said Rush fled after the accident. Deputies found his boat on a trailer hitched to a vehicle at the dock, but there was no sign of Rush. Rescuers believed at first that he was missing in the water because they could not locate him, said Buckelew. Investigators learned that Rush was alive and in California on Saturday, when his attorney, Ron Cordova, called them to announce that Rush would surrender the following day.
Sandy Bush, an owner of the Red Rock Resort — an RV campground where Rush and the Herberts were staying — said Rush had been a regular this summer. This was the first time she had seen the Herberts, she said.
"People know [Rush] because he builds boats. He's a nice man. He's been boating a long time," said Bush.
Robert Rollins, the 23-year-old brother of victim Ashley Rollins, said he heard of the accident as he was putting away his own family's boat. He then began crying when he said a friend returned minutes later to tell him Ashley had been injured in the accident. "I couldn't believe it," he said softly.
His sister, a Saddleback College student and part-time sales clerk at a Sav-On drug store, turned in her homework early and left last Tuesday with her family for Lake Havasu, where she met Jonathan and Jacquel Herbert, with whom she had been friends since childhood.
Rollins said he was angry over Rush's decision to flee.
"You can't just go over these kids and run away. He's evil," said Rollins.
Bobbi Ryan, Ashley Rollins' aunt, said the family is attempting to cope with her niece's death.
"You'd think that a 62-year-old man would be more responsible," said Ryan. "It is a tremendous loss. It is devastating and to hear that this man fled, I was so angry."
At the Herberts' two-story hillside home in Laguna Hills, flowers, candles and framed photographs formed a cross on the brick driveway.
Some photos were of Jonathan and Jacquel Herbert and friends on happier outings to the Colorado River.
The family enjoyed going to the river, said neighbor Lonnie Kay. "They always did everything together. Their children were their best friends. I don't know how you could deal with losing one child. But losing both — I just don't know," he said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Times staff writers H.G. Reza and Eric Malnic contributed to this story.
HDD :( BBT <-------- Speechless :( frown

Moneypitt
09-23-2003, 07:36 AM
John's hydro was a Jet, not a v drive. I know it doesn't matter, but that's just another inaccuracy in the telling of this sad, sad story...Moneypitt...(Ray)

Boatcop
09-23-2003, 11:04 AM
La Paz County sheriff's investigators said both are V-Drive high-power runabouts.
Another mis-statement. After being involved in this field for as long as I have, I think I'd be able to tell the difference.
In this situation the following applies:
"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see."

schiada96
09-23-2003, 11:40 AM
Boatcop:
La Paz County sheriff's investigators said both are V-Drive high-power runabouts.
Another mis-statement. After being involved in this field for as long as I have, I think I'd be able to tell the difference.
In this situation the following applies:
"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see." I pray for all involved and for Boatcop it would be tuff to deal with with this.

LVjetboy
09-24-2003, 08:19 PM
"One of those, retired Hawthorne fire Capt. Bob Guy, said he saw the crash from his waterfront patio. He said the Herberts' boat was turning around to head upriver when it was broadsided by Rush's boat."
BoatCop. Is this also a mis-statement...and inaccurate?
Certainly possible no doubt, given news source translation and eye-witness perception. Also possible a quick u-turn on a narrow river like the strip can cause an accident as deadly as this.
Thus my first post.
RiverDave...my guess is family members know a lot more than most of us do. And investigators are not judging the accident or changing their opinions based on internet comments or potential rumors posted in an online forum. BoatCop?
So I think (your post) "...the investigation of the accident or the healing process for the families..." will be the same no matter this forum.
To me, the internet is about freedom of posting good and bad. This accident truly a tragedy and I am sad for the families involved. Any of us could EASILY be in the same situation but for timing and pure dumb luck. I think most here feel that.
So if this accident generates comments on boating safety or risks of narrow rivers then I say post away. Or generates comments on oui/dui laws and a trend to flee the scene then I say post your thoughts. Or expressions of sorrow, and support for Dossangers then I say that's a good thing too. But most of all I say let people hear/read/post and deal with it in their own way.
jer
[ September 24, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

AzDon
09-25-2003, 08:15 AM
3 killed, 1 injured in Parker boating hit-run
advertisement
David J. Cieslak
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 22, 2003 12:00 AM
Three youths were killed and another was critically injured in a hit-and-run boating collision during a racing event near Parker, authorities said.
The crash occurred Friday night along the Colorado River near the Rio Lindo Shores during an unsanctioned powerboat contest and exhibition, said Sgt. Alan Nelson of the La Paz County Sheriff's Office.
Witnesses described a grisly collision that quickly sank a 20-foot jet boat carrying the youths, all of whom lived in California.
None of the victims was wearing a life vest, although the impact of the collision may have rendered flotation devices useless, Nelson said. He did not know how fast the boats were traveling.
Killed in the crash were boat operator Jonathan Herbert, 21, and his sister, Jaquel Herbert, 18, both of Laguna Hills, Calif. Ashley Rollins, 18, of Mission Viejo, Calif., also died. Their autopsies are scheduled for this week, Nelson said.
Josh Rogers, 18, who was also aboard the boat, remained in critical condition Sunday night after being airlifted to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. His hometown has not been released, Nelson said.
The operator of the other boat, Grier Rush, 62, fled the scene and returned to his home in California before turning himself in Sunday, Nelson said.
Authorities are holding Rush at the La Paz County Jail on $1 million bail ordered on a felony warrant charging him with leaving the scene of a fatal boat collision.
Rush, owner of Rush Performance Boats in California, will face a judge in Parker this morning for an initial court appearance.
Rush has no known prior criminal record or boating violations, Nelson said, adding that he did not believe drugs or alcohol played a role in the crash.
Two other men aboard Rush's boat - 52-year-old Don Kramer of Norco, Calif., and 44-year-old Steve Shoop of Minnesota - were not injured in the wreck.
None of the men stopped to help the victims, but Kramer and Shoop were not arrested because state law does not require them to render aid, Nelson said.
Jaquel Herbert and Rollins were picked up by witnesses immediately after the crash and rushed to La Paz Regional Hospital, where they were pronounced dead. Jonathan Herbert's body was recovered by divers about three hours later.
The weekend event was not approved by the U.S. Coast Guard. Many of the boats were being operated illegally and violating noise ordinances, Nelson said. He said deputies did not issue any citations before the crash. .................................................. ................................
I wasn't aware that informal group get-togethers require permitting as a "racing event", especially when nobody is racing! It's not really a defined, formal event, because nobody is in charge.It's just people that happen to vacation together during that week! I'm also curious about the quote: Many of the boats were being operated illegally AND violating noise ordinances, Nelson said.
How were the boats being operated illegally?
[ September 25, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: AzDon ]

summerlove
09-25-2003, 09:04 AM
I've been out of town on business since Saturday and came upon this very sad news this morning. What a tragic event, one unimaginable as a parent. Regardless of the "circumstances" surrounding this tragic accident, my heart goes out to the families of all invloved. Please accept my condolences on your loss, and please know that I will pray for you and your families and friends. May God be with you in this very difficult time, and know that you have many friends out there to turn to for love and support. While I don't know any of you personally, we're part of a brotherhod that stays together and supports each other in difficult times.
My thought and prayers are with you.
Rick