PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Backing

91nordic29
06-09-2003, 11:56 AM
does anyone have any "tricks" for learning how to back a trailer down the boat ramp? we have a 30+ trailer and a duramax crew cab SB. I am about to give up but dont want to be one of those ladies sitting in the boat at the dock while hubby has to hike up the hill to get the rig. :rolleyes: cry

H20 Party Starter
06-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Tell them to put their hand at the bottom of the steering wheel...
look over their shoulder at the boat, and move the wheel in the direction you want the back of the boat/trailer to go.....
works every time wink

OCStoker
06-09-2003, 12:02 PM
With a boat that size you would have to use the mirrors.

hot_diggity_dog
06-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Make very small turns. wink wink
Otherwise you end up going from side to side and not down the ramp. wink wink
Hot Mrs HDD can back down with the best of them Diggity Dog. :D

dimarcobros
06-09-2003, 12:06 PM
If you are going to use your mirrors, which ever mirror you see more of the boat in turn the wheel torwards that mirror and it will straghten out.

dimarcobros
06-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Best of luck :)

Danhercules
06-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Biggest mistake people make, is over correcting. Turn the wheel to correct and give it a moment to react. My wife use to turn the wheel and would not see a change in direction and turn more and then bo too far.
Also, go slow. Its not a race..... (untill you get good, then its a race!!)

Danhercules
06-09-2003, 12:08 PM
One more thing, I did it with my wife and it worked great. Pull along the curb bout 2' away. See how far you can back up along the curb. You will also so see how little you have to move the wheel to get the trailer to move.

Ziggy
06-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Front end of truck will move to same side as boat.
H20...thats a nifty trick...gonna try that with the Mrs.

rrrr
06-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Remember to use small inputs. I told my wife to never turn the wheel more than half a turn.
What really made her do better was my suggestion to "wobble" the trailer back and forth as she backed up, turning the wheel a few inches one way and then the other.
That gives her constant feedback on steering inputs, and she can get used to moving the trailer around and seeing it in both mirrors.
She went out last week for the first time with just her friends, and she came back grinning about her newfound skills.
And I'll say it one more time, 'cause it's important: remember to use small inputs. If you start turning the wheel lock to lock it'll get out of hand quickly. If that happens, just stop, relax, pull forward a little and try again. If necessary, tell hubby to put a sock in it. :D
Good luck!!! :D

HAULNZ
06-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Do you have a triple axle or double axle trailer?? I know a triple can be a real pain in the ass, thats why we went with a double. Our trailer has the upright guides on the back, and that made a world of difference. We have an Excursion and a 30+ ft. trailer and for me using the mirrors works the best. And most important, relax, so it takes you a little longer to back down the ramp.BFD. I like going to the small ramp at Pleasant, not as many people, less stress.

Havasu Luvr
06-09-2003, 12:13 PM
I took my gf to Silverwood during the weekday when it was REALLY slow. I had her drop me off in the ready lane and I instructed her to back down a curtain lane and touch the trailer wheels to the water...once she accomplished that I instructed her to go around the parking lot and do the same in a different lane.. 3 hrs of this while I sat on the dock watching and having a cold one...Now she is an Expert with the trailer. Next is the boat, I just want her to feel comfortable at ALL tasks. Good luck with your lessons
[ June 09, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Luvr ]

rrrr
06-09-2003, 12:16 PM
One more thing, don't be intimidated by the length of your rig. Backing up a long trailer is actually easier than doing say a 17' boat, but you have to give it time to react.
Turn the wheel, wait a bit, and it'll start responding. You can do it!

eliminatedsprinter
06-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Don't feel bad, I suck at it to. :( I use the above method , but my tow viehicle is a RV and I can't see back there. By the time my boat/trailer shows up in either of my mirrors, I've already screwed up. :mad: My solution,so far, is to go out mid-week when the ramps are empty. Hopefuly, I'll have more practice and be better at it before I encounter a really crowded ramp. I, of course, have someone guide me from behind, but my wife gives directions late and even with the best guide I'm slooooow.

HAULNZ
06-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Whatever you do don't launch at Havasu Marina until you get the hang of it. The first time I launced our boat at Havasu was at the Marina. Some guy next to me was loading his boat on the ramp, and when he backed in he was half in my lane, so the marina jerk starts yelling at me to go, like I was holding things up. I was shaking so bad when I got on the boat I almost spilled my beer. wink

miller19j
06-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Take the truck and trailer to a big open parking lot and practice. Try to back straight between the lines in the parking lot and pretend that the lanes are the ramp. The only way to get comfortable backing a trailer up is to practice. Once you get the hang of it; it will be second nature. But go practice somewhere like a parking lot where you can relax and take your time.
Just take your time and remember to relax. Most people get nervous and rush and then make stupid mistakes.
Good Luck! :)

HavasuDreamin'
06-09-2003, 12:58 PM
I my experience, looking over the shoulder is much easier than using mirrors. By the time you see the trailer veering off in your mirror, it is too late. One hand on the wheel while looking over your shoulder and GO SLOW. If you have to, put the tailgate down and open the rear window. If the trailer starts to get too far out of line, don't try to correct it........stop.....pull forward a little and start backing again. It is like a bicycle, once you get the hang of it, it is easy. Don't give up. smile_sp

Fufu Queen
06-09-2003, 01:01 PM
91nordic29:
does anyone have any "tricks" for learning how to back a trailer down the boat ramp? we have a 30+ trailer and a duramax crew cab SB. I am about to give up but dont want to be one of those ladies sitting in the boat at the dock while hubby has to hike up the hill to get the rig. :rolleyes: cry Girl were you at???? I was going to give a class for any ladies that wanted to learn how to back it up, we all need a job to do.

91nordic29
06-09-2003, 01:46 PM
thanks for all the support and advice. i will just take my time and not panic!!

TheEduKATor
06-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Here's a little trick I use. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a $2.00 turn knob that you quickly screw on over your stearing wheel. I attach it to the bottom of the stearing wheel, then look over my shoulder and do what most of you have said. I just find that the little turning knob makes it so much easier to stear when looking back. You never have to worry about hand placement because if you attached it to the bottom of your stearing wheel that's where it's going to stay until you unscrew it. The package says for off road use only, I don't know the exact name of it, but it's like the turn knobs you see on buses or semi trucks. Ms EduKATed has never backed up the truck and trailer so I made her do it for memorial day weekend at the marina, using that knob really helped her out. Now only if I could get her to drive better on the road then I could sleep the whole drive to Havasu from San Diego.

396_Z
06-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Most important thing to remember comes well before you put the tow vehicle in reverse.
Line up straight!
If you can come by the ramp at 90* as the front tires are going by the lane you want turn away to line up. While turning away find a reference point to aim for until your straight. That should get you close to centered in the lane for backing.
As you back watch BOTH your mirrors. You should be looking at the tires or fenders. With any luck the lane will have painted lines you can use as guides. You want to walk the trailer tires along the line as best you can. If that means your off center a little fine. If you get out of whack pull up a few feet to straighten out and try it again. With a longer trailer it will take a bigger movement of the truck to produce a movement in the trailer, just don't get too aggressive with the steering wheel. Correct drift immediately! If your drifting to one side it will only get worse. As soon as you notice your drifting over fix it. (Note; Most drift is caused by looking in just one mirror)
Now, if when the trailer starts to enter the water it isn't straight pull up a few feet and try again.
Last, ignore the 26 other people around the ramp trying to tell you how to back in. The wheel is in your hands and if anything goes wrong your responsible, not them.
Remember to take your time, go slow, pull up as much and as often as you need to. Your learning, so take your time and learn. It's not a race to see who can back up the quickest.
If all else fails put a hitch on the front of the truck.

silver surfer
06-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Practice and time. Tune everyone out and focus on your rig. It will get easier. If possible, stay sober.

jet496
06-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Just let your hubby get the truck & do the backing up. That's our routine. My wife's job is to simply get it over the trailor & keep the kids safe in the boat. Those ramps get pretty intense & intimidating. Just figure out your role (what your best at) in the process & keep it simple.
Just my 2 cents.
[ June 09, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: jet496 ]

LUVNLIFE
06-09-2003, 06:32 PM
We are the same Jet496 I do the truck and the wife loads the boat. If you do the truck, use mirrors and turn the wheel toward the mirror you see the trailerin. Slight moves will do it. :D

Trailer Park Casanova
06-09-2003, 06:49 PM
H20 Party Starter:
Tell them to put their hand at the bottom of the steering wheel...
look over their shoulder at the boat, and move the wheel in the direction you want the back of the boat/trailer to go.....
works every time wink That says it all. Just like it was right outta the Marine Corps Driving manual.

mtndewdrops
06-09-2003, 06:59 PM
396_Z:
Most important thing to remember comes well before you put the tow vehicle in reverse.
Line up straight! I agree with this...Pick which lane you want and pull all the way forward to get the trailer and rig straight. If you don't do this you are asking for trouble.

jasonk
06-09-2003, 07:36 PM
I do not use the mirrors. I Turn my head so I can see the boat, when I turn the wheel I am automatically turning the correct way. It's the easiest way I have found. Too many times I've looked like an idiot and made it much harder than it should have been.

Badboat1
06-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Were do you want it and how fast you want it there. For real it does take time to learn sorry, women.Mine will never learn but maybe she will still trying to get her to try again but I get pissed at her.
BB1

Coach
06-09-2003, 07:49 PM
The ladies need to be able to do both launch and trailer the boat. My buddy stayed out a Park Moabi last year and the winds picked up at night and the river looked like the ocean. He had to get the boat in and was not going to put his wife in danger. She got the kids and the truck and went to the launch while he put on a life vest and braved the weather. She normally only drives the boat and he normally trailers it, but they trade off on occation in case of and emergency. It paid off in this case.

Heatseeker
06-09-2003, 08:00 PM
TheEduKATor:
Here's a little trick I use. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a $2.00 turn knob that you quickly screw on over your stearing wheel. I don't know the exact name of it... That's a brody knob! My dad called them suicide knobs. I got a ticket for driving on the streets with one years ago :mad: .
When backing your trailer, remember: The trailer will go in the opposite direction as the rear axle on the tow vehicle.
Works for me.

race1jeep
06-09-2003, 08:17 PM
91Nordic:
My wife is terribly blonde, and there is no way I am letting her drive the boat on the trailer. I went out and purchased a pair of the $60 dollar hand held radios. Now when she backs up, and starts to get into trouble, I just give her a little help using the radio and tell her which way to turn the wheel when backing the trailer. After a few times she is getting pretty good.
Oh, did I mention she is blonde? It only works if she turns her radio on to in the truck...

396_Z
06-09-2003, 08:18 PM
jasonk:
I do not use the mirrors. I Turn my head so I can see the boat, Not everybody can do that. I'd be willing to bet that with the boat on the trailer 91nordic29 would turn around and see nothing but boat.
I also forgot to add that if you are in a situation where you have to make a turn while backing do everything you can to make it a turn to the drivers side. Always easier to back up when you can see the end of the trailer clearly.

gnRacer98
06-09-2003, 08:28 PM
go to the ramp on a slow day or even an empty parking lot and
PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE!!!
Like everything else you get better with experience.

jet496
06-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Coach..Good point. When at an empty ramp with nobody around, it might be a good idea to let your wife, kid, whoever, get a little practice.

H20 Party Starter
06-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Heatseeker:
TheEduKATor:
Here's a little trick I use. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a $2.00 turn knob that you quickly screw on over your stearing wheel. I don't know the exact name of it... That's a brody knob! My dad called them suicide knobs. I got a ticket for driving on the streets with one years ago :mad: .
When backing your trailer, remember: The trailer will go in the opposite direction as the rear axle on the tow vehicle.
Works for me. Ha..........MY MOM calls those "sissy" knobs :)
They are actually illegal in Ca. I think
Handy to have if you are driving one handed........RD needs one wink

91nordic29
06-10-2003, 06:33 AM
all of these things are helpful. we used to have (until may 2002) an 18 foot carrera jet. although the steering is hard while not under way, i chose loading the boat instead of the backing up the trailer. we are still getting used to, learning this 29 footer. i figured i would let my husband get used to the boat before i try loading it. too much boat to have get out of hand in the wind, etc. i agree that both people should know both jobs but this size difference is still new to us. he had the jet boat for 13 years so we had that pretty down pat. wink
[ June 10, 2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: 91nordic29 ]

Havasu Cig
06-10-2003, 07:40 AM
The larger boat should actually be easier because it takes more input to make it turn. Our trailer is 46' and it tracks very straight, and is harder to over correct than the smaller ones.
My other 1/2 seems to do a better job with the new trailer than the one our 26' was on. Go slow down the ramp, and once you get the boat lined up in the lane it might be easier if you look at the tire on one side of the trailer and just keep them in the lane. as long as those tires are lined up it will take you straight down your lane.
Using the mirrors work well also, but for people that are learning I think it is a little harder for them.

nodigg
06-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Just could not resist this one!
Line up straight as you pull forward and prepare to back up. The set up is important. When you back up go slowly especially when learning and grasp only the bottom of the steering wheel. If you use your mirrors you will see exactly where your trailer wheels are heading,(look left/right constantly) and therefore can push the bottom of the wheel the direction you want the trailer to go. Make small corrections. NEVER look over you shoulder when backing!(BIG MISTAKE! VERY DANGEROUS!) (Sorry shoulder peekers) Remember to pull forward a bit if you get out of shape rather than wiggle all over the ramp trying to get back between the lines. A short :) pull forward when required is a sure sign of an experienced trailer tower. Use the lanes as guides for backing when available. Don't back down the middle of the lanes or launch crooked, others may pull up and need to launch (be considerate). Again, if you look over your shoulder, you may wind up hitting something with the trailer or boat. Just my .02 (Class A license 26 years truckin')

uvindex
06-10-2003, 08:40 AM
I am about to give up but dont want to be one of those ladies sitting in the boat at the dock while hubby has to hike up the hill to get the rig.There's lots of good advice in this thread for you (wifey) who's doing the backing. Here's some advice for HUBBY (the person on the boat while you're launching and retrieving.) Please make sure he reads this... :)
(1) Never YELL at wifey or lose your temper. She's already under pressure, so yelling and getting hot under the collar will only make things worse, and can even ruin your whole day. Even if she's screwing up big time, you need to remain calm and keep smiling. :D
(2) Make sure you two know how you'll communicate with each other ahead of time -- hand signals are good (launch ramps are often very loud, so screaming isn't a good method.)
(3) When she's backing you down the ramp, make sure you're watching her blind spots for her, and make sure she can see you on the boat (in her mirrors) so that you can warn her about things she can't see.
(4) "Trailer Backing School" in a big empty parking lot is a great idea. We used cones that were just barely wider than the trailer wheels -- it made the lanes on the launch ramp seem wide in comparison. That's how I taught my girlfriend to back a trailer, and she's now very competent, and confident!
Happy boating!
CS

dorC
06-10-2003, 09:34 AM
As posted, try putting your hand on the bottom of the wheel. It might make the motion a bit more natural. My other suggestion would be for you to go to a large empty parking lot and practice putting the boat into a stall.

Tom Brown
06-10-2003, 09:51 AM
91nordic29:
does anyone have any "tricks" for learning how to back a trailer down the boat ramp Would it be sexist of me to recommend a hysterectomy?
I'm just kidding, of course. It's not rocket science but it can seem like a black art at times. With the theory presented here, a little practice, and a belief that you can do it, I have no doubt you will be able to back your rig as well as anyone in a fairly short time.
-- Tom

Fufu Queen
06-10-2003, 10:02 AM
I have one more thing to say, don’t feel bad if it takes you awhile to learn. I can tell you from experience that a lot of men don’t do that well backing down the ramp. So once you get it you are "WOMAN watch you ramp".

91nordic29
06-10-2003, 10:03 AM
too bad you live so far away, tom. you'd be a kick to have around. smile_sp

Tom Brown
06-10-2003, 10:10 AM
I'm willing to bet that a majority of the problem here is a lack of confidence. Forget the man/woman thing and just hop in the truck and give it a shot. There is nothing testicular about backing a boat, although mine always shrink to half size when I botch the shit out of it and have to pull ahead a bunch of times before I get it right.
I have no doubt that with a little practice by a curb, in a parking lot, or wherever... and you'll be just fine.
Now that I'm used to it I can back fairly well but there are still some days when just doesn't feel intuitive and doesn't come as easily. Don't be pressured. Once you know that you can do it the job will be way easier.
-- Tom :)

Tom Brown
06-10-2003, 10:17 AM
91nordic29:
too bad you live so far away, tom. you'd be a kick to have around. smile_sp Once Topless and I get married, I'll move to Norco and I can hang out with the ***boat gang a little more.
I'm just kidding. Whenever I stop by Topless' place, she always hides inside and pretends she isn't home. :confused:
I'm really looking forward to coming down in September or October for the next BBSP party at Havasu. If the party doesn't happen, I'll come down anyway.
Gee... I thought there would be more fallout from that hysterectomy comment. :D
-- Tom :)

91nordic29
06-10-2003, 10:27 AM
I was going to comment on the hysterectomy thing by saying these days, with the "hot flashes" and all it may be a welcome thing. i am only 42 and don't know how long this "business" lasts but i have been sleeping with a wet towel for the last week!!

91nordic29
06-10-2003, 10:29 AM
ps-- our group will be at lake havasu october 2 through 6. maybe it will be at the same time you'll be here. :cool: