PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here race NJBA brackets?

Jim B.
08-30-2003, 08:52 PM
I'm just about done restoring my 18' jet and would like to get my feet wet racing the NJBA brackets soon. I go to the races quite often, but I think I need to hang in the pits with somebody to learn the ropes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

77charger
08-30-2003, 09:12 PM
I race them as well as a few here from the boards.They have alot of braket classes from 7.0-12.99.ex 7.00-7.49,7.50-7.99 8.00-8.49 ,etc.So this gives the racer lots of oppurtunity.I currently run the 9.50-9.99 bracket and have won two races this year.they are open to just about any boat that passes tech.they do prohibit sandbagging(letting of the gas to avoid a break out,or slowing the boat down during a run)that is one reason for the many bracket clases(IMO gives everyone a good shot at winning).
One thing i can say is to run your boat and see what it does ET wise and go from there.Most of the time races are won off the starting line if you can cut a good light.
For your first time you can run the river racer class for 75.00 which is a good deal and there are 3 more races scheduled for this year all at ming(bakersfield)
Robert boat 006

Jim B.
08-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Hey thanks for your input, I will definitely look for you at the next race if your there. What type of boat do you run?? Do you race IHBA as well??

Duck
08-30-2003, 10:24 PM
Check their web site for tech regulations. You may need to try to borrow a certified racing vest and helmet instead of buying. A kill switch is needed and I don't know if a physical is needed for all classes either. Have your bottom the prepped as needed so you carry the nose through the quarter and a good tune on the motor. Don't get crazy with your tuneup if you normally don't run high compression or need racing fuel, just go for the good light as advised above. I didn't race, I like to watch.
(Lucky) Duck

77charger
08-31-2003, 08:00 PM
Jim B.:
Hey thanks for your input, I will definitely look for you at the next race if your there. What type of boat do you run?? Do you race IHBA as well?? Jim i run this boat as well as some ihba races.you wil lalso need a physical to race.you can contact njba @(661)257-8087
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/518/15Bob_race2.jpg

Jeff Fry
08-31-2003, 11:49 PM
Hey, Give Mike Doll a call or Joe Lekamp a call. I think joes number is on the web site. Ill see if i can find it! Come on out, everyone is very friendly and always has some info to help. I d say come over to meanstreaks pit, but were out of commision till next season new boat being built. My bros the one who did the weed abatement in june!

TPI
09-01-2003, 05:06 AM
This calls for a funny story:
I used to race the NJBA/IHBA all the time from 89-95 pretty heavily, but I had to start somewhere. My first boat was a 73 Sanger Flat w/ 12% gears 16P prop and a 396/tunnel ram combo. I thought this thing was fast, in fact at local lakes I never lost a drag race, I even raced guys that said they ran "well over 100".(Does anyone no where this is headed?) People started to say,"man that thing is so fast you have to race it". So I took a loan(22 years old) and bought a lifeline jacket, signed up for the IHBA race at Castaic for "Sportsman Eliminator"(11.00 class) even though I knew I would be way faster than that, and proceeded to qualify, now Im into this race about $1500! Im on the holding rope and I look over to see this old ratty looking jet boat with a single carb and a "flower pot" air cleaner and I start to giggle a little, and think,"Dude you are history"! The light turns green, and jet boat Jim is gone, he is pulling me so bad I thought my boat was broken. But still, I ran to get my time because I had to see what I ran """12.06 ET @ 87 mph! That was my best! I got smoked, I lost first round, and I was bitter! I had a supercharger on that boat a week later( another loan!). I continued this trend until I built a brand new Bitz runnerbottom with a Blown Injected Gas Motor in 1995 (a lot of loans!) THAT SPORT IS ADDICTIVE! JUST ASK THE "JET BOAT GURU'". The moral here is: You can easily be the fastest guy at the lake with an 87 mph boat, and not everyone goes 100. :D It took a long time to payy all those loans back, but I wouldnt trade the knowledge I gained or the experiences for anything, it was a lot of fun.

Jetboatguru
09-01-2003, 09:24 AM
G Dub,
We are sitting here laughing at the story and remembering all of the loans and rude awakenings when we first started racing. I have few similar stories of getting smoked by "jetboat Jim." Do you remember my first race. I knew my boat ran 100 easily. I took it out to Bakersfield and lined up next to jetboatjims brother and got smoked. I ran a steller 73 mph at 12.80 something. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
I threw another propeller on and ran 78 mph so I was looking good in the 70-80 bracket. I won my first round against Ron Smith because his motor caught on fire. The next round I raced Joey Silveira in the Portugese flash and he smoked me. I took out student loans to go faster. I remember seeing you towing the Unfair Advantage around behind your little S10 chevy. I used to laugh because you would tow that thing 100 mph down the freeway like you didn't have boat hooked up. Many days at Casitas.

ACCEPTENCE
09-01-2003, 11:40 PM
GT:
This calls for a funny story:
I used to race the NJBA/IHBA all the time from 89-95 pretty heavily, but I had to start somewhere. My first boat was a 73 Sanger Flat w/ 12% gears 16P prop and a 396/tunnel ram combo. I thought this thing was fast, in fact at local lakes I never lost a drag race, I even raced guys that said they ran "well over 100".(Does anyone no where this is headed?) People started to say,"man that thing is so fast you have to race it". So I took a loan(22 years old) and bought a lifeline jacket, signed up for the IHBA race at Castaic for "Sportsman Eliminator"(11.00 class) even though I knew I would be way faster than that, and proceeded to qualify, now Im into this race about $1500! Im on the holding rope and I look over to see this old ratty looking jet boat with a single carb and a "flower pot" air cleaner and I start to giggle a little, and think,"Dude you are history"! The light turns green, and jet boat Jim is gone, he is pulling me so bad I thought my boat was broken. But still, I ran to get my time because I had to see what I ran """12.06 ET @ 87 mph! That was my best! I got smoked, I lost first round, and I was bitter! I had a supercharger on that boat a week later( another loan!). I continued this trend until I built a brand new Bitz runnerbottom with a Blown Injected Gas Motor in 1995 (a lot of loans!) THAT SPORT IS ADDICTIVE! JUST ASK THE "JET BOAT GURU'". The moral here is: You can easily be the fastest guy at the lake with an 87 mph boat, and not everyone goes 100. :D It took a long time to payy all those loans back, but I wouldnt trade the knowledge I gained or the experiences for anything, it was a lot of fun. Funny story and true too...I remember when you showed up on the drag boat scene.I remember the 396 and then the addition of the blower.
Those were the days :D , I'm glad there over.

Rexone
09-02-2003, 12:22 AM
A little off subject but funny. I remember when I had the boat in my avatar out at Parker (like 1978ish), I'd beatin everything in site for about a year then and not too many would even race cause the boat looked pretty intimidating (for 78) lol. This was a 115 mph boat at the drags but not that quick (I didn't know that then), circle boat. One day I came upon this little jet boat with a blower, nothing special lookin. We went off and he smoked my ass so bad it's still a little warm. Had about 10 lengths on me in about 2 seconds. Got smoked by a couple carbed runner bottoms shortly thereafter too. My cocky factor took a big slide that summer. oh, and don't even bring up the loan deal...omg I was way over my head there too.

superdave013
09-02-2003, 04:53 AM
For some reason I don't remember GT. I was also racing at the same time.
I only ran NJBA and my first pass was in the blown gas flat class. Yup I was the man so I thought. lol I got paired up with Rex Childers's Aggervation boat. :rolleyes: Hell, I'ed never even see a PSI before and now I had the best seat in the house to see one run. I ran 103 mPH @ 10.87. (he ran a 140 something and was on the trailer before I got to the finsh line it seemed) It felt so slow and I was pretty bummed when I got my timeslip. Everyone said how I did so great to break 100 on my very first pass. I didn't see it that way and started changing stuff. I went slower every round that day.
The next season I showed up with a new blower and injection set up. The season after that I think was a good block, heads and ton O other shit.
Hummm, I was making around 35K a year back then and I know I worked my cerdit cards so hard that I wore holes in them.

TPI
09-02-2003, 06:16 AM
SD,
I too remember getting smoked by Rex.
All my Flats were #410 and called "Unfair Advantage" a red 73 sanger, a blue/orange 78 Kurtis 500, A 86 Canyon, and lastly a 95 Bitz, I ran all those boats in NJBA BGF. Im lucky to be alive,lol. GBJ, you and I could get together and tell some damn funny stories, we need to get together. We are going to Mohave again next week 8,9,10,11.