PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh & Black Quarterbacks.

carbonmarine
10-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Guys,
Does anyone see what the uproar is about ??
My point is there have been great black qtr backs in the past, The League has none now and he brought simply made that point ( why I dont know ?? ) ..... Also, It's true players & teams are over rated for marketing reasons as well ... theres mnany examples of all he brought up ...
Where is there an innaccuracy...? and what is the uproar over ??
Rick32
[ October 01, 2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: carbonmarine ]

Kilrtoy
10-01-2003, 02:24 PM
Whose crying about it, the blacks,
Im sure its not the mexicans in the league, OOOPPSSSS are there any.....

CA Stu
10-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Kilrtoy:
Whose crying about it, the blacks,
Im sure its not the mexicans in the league, OOOPPSSSS are there any..... Tony Gonzales, TE for the Chiefs. Best TE in the league.
What about Culpepper, Vick, McNair, McNabb?
Rush must not be a football fan.
Screw the cranky old bastard!
CA Stu
Thanks
CA Stu

carbonmarine
10-01-2003, 02:45 PM
I think his point was Greatness ... as an example: Namath, Elway, Montana, Gretzky, Louganis ...
Rick32

rrrr
10-01-2003, 02:47 PM
**** 'em. It suits the (blacks, hispanics, fill in the blank)'s interests to use race in whatever way possible. Rush made an accurate observation, doesn't have anything to do his position on race.
It's no different than what the IRL and press does with Sarah Fisher. She has turned out to be a real dud, but gets plenty of press and hoopla 'cause she's a girl. If she was a guy she would have been shown the door long ago.
The police chief in Dallas was fired a few weeks ago, he was an incompetent boob. The only reason he was hired was because he was black. Of course there is an uproar because he was shitcanned. Never mind that he presided over a huge increase in the crime rate here and had no support from the police officers. To hear him and his lackeys tell it, the City Manager and the Mayor are racists, he was fired because he is black.
It's all so ****ing stupid........

WILDERTHANU
10-01-2003, 03:00 PM
I'M A RUSH LIMBAUGH SUPPORTER .........HE JUST REPORTS THE FACTS PEOPLE ! !

BUSTI
10-01-2003, 03:04 PM
The truth hurts but it will set you free! He did not do anything wrong. Insensitive and maybe politically incorrect...but he did not do anything wrong. He is right. Look at Cordell samething he has been the receipient of great performances from his teammates and frankly I think he has been overated.
The PC crowd should worry about something other than whether Rush is Pc or not.

summerlove
10-01-2003, 03:06 PM
All Rush said was that McNabb is overrated and that the defense is making him look good. He went on to say:
“I don’t think he’s been that good from the get-go,” Limbaugh said about McNabb on last Sunday’s pregame show. “I think what we’ve had here is a little social concern in the NFL.
“I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They’re interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there’s a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn’t deserve. The defense carried this team.”
For the record, the Eagles have gone to the NFC title game the last two seasons. By the same token, the rest of the players in the league thought enough of McNabb’s offensive skills to vote him into the Pro Bowl the last three seasons. Without reporters blocking or catching a single pass, McNabb has led Philly to a 36-22 record in his starts, including the playoffs.
In my opinion, Rush is full of shit. I've had Donovan on my fantasy team for two years and he carries my team on stats alone. The guy will become one of the greats. Rush also said that the rams haven't been to a superbowl - huh??? The guy is a toad and ESPN needs to 86 him now. The comment was, if not racist, certainly insensitive, from someone with his following.

carbonmarine
10-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Nobody got my boob with a hockey player and and a diver...... ha, ha....
Rick

Kilrtoy
10-01-2003, 04:09 PM
All good QB's, But far from great

Mandelon
10-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Warren Moon??
If Rush had made the same comments about a white quarterback would there be an issue? Not likely.
He calls it like he sees it. The press sure tries hard to smear any famous republicans they can.
Who's the goofy Democrat Army General running for president? He commented on this by saying he is for everyone being treated equally and fairly, then in the next sentence he was for affirmative action.....seems a little hypocritical there don't it?

Dr. Eagle
10-01-2003, 05:23 PM
I think what Rush said was accurate. But the political correctness NAZI's will have a field day with it. I am not sure it was smart for that reason and that reason only.
It it too bad that you can't say what you think without getting nuked in this politically correct age.

Kilrtoy
10-01-2003, 05:25 PM
If Rush had made the same comments about a white quarterback would there be an issue? Not likely.
What Whitey have to do with this. They are all the great QB's eek!

CA Stu
10-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Kilrtoy:
All good QB's, But far from great OK you win that one.
I didn't read the quote from Rush until after I posted that, my bad.
I don't listen to Rush myself, I'm a Howard Stern fan.
Baba Booie to y'all.
CA Stu

Seadog
10-01-2003, 06:07 PM
If a black commentator had said that the media was building up the rep of a QB for political reasons, it would be ignored. Rush was right in that the line was the mainstay of the team. I personally don't care for RL, but he just called the facts here. Amazing how whenever a conservative makes the slightest remark about a minority, the remark is automatically racist. Then the demands come for his head, followed by one less conservative in a position of influence. I get so tired sometimes by this attitude that if your issues are crap, make your opponents out to be hitler, ray and dabner all rolled into one.

BigBoyToys
10-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Rush resigned from ESPN this afternoon anyway. At this point it becomes a moot point. But, he was/is ABSOLUTELY correct in what he said. Mcnabb is NOT that great of a QB and has the LOWEST rating of all QB's so far this season. The ONLY reason that he is so popular and more of a household name is because he is black and the media and special interest groups have made a spectacle out of him. It happened a few years back the same way for Cordell Stewart and he ain't good either and never has proved himself in the NFL.... Just food for thought.

locogringo
10-01-2003, 10:00 PM
BigBoyToys:
Rush resigned from ESPN this afternoon anyway. Another sad day. What's this world coming to?

Dr. Eagle
10-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I saw that one coming, I expected it to boil a few more days though...... burningm burningm burningm

locogringo
10-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Dr. Eagle:
Yeah, I saw that one coming, I expected it to boil a few more days though...... burningm burningm burningm I was hoping it would. I also wished that he (Rush) would have stayed with his mindset and not backed down to the pietism of liberalistic whining.
Was he "forced" out by ESPN?
[ October 01, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: locogringo ]

Seadog
10-02-2003, 05:07 AM
What gets me is that on both of the major morning shows they interview blacks only about the situation. NBC had Doug Williams and JC Watts, while ABC had some Philly sports journalist.
If you look at the overwhelming number of blacks in football, the small number of black quarterbacks is a pity. There is no conspiracy to keep them out, they just don't step up to the task. Doug Williams did great the year he went on to win the Super Bowl, but it was back to mediocracy after that. Warren Moon might have been a great QB, but it is a team effort, so we will nevr know. OSU has had a variety of results with black QBs, but never great results. We had one highly recruited black QB that had everything, the arm, the run. Everything except the mind. We had all the components and he kept losing games and making mistakes. He got pulled for Mike Gundy, and along with Hart Lee Dykes, Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders, went along to a great period in Cowboy football.
I am sure that a black QB is going to do great someday, but QB is more than the physical skills. It is the mental discipline that makes the difference and for whatever reason, this seems to be making for a hurdle they are not getting past.
[ October 02, 2003, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

HCS
10-02-2003, 05:27 AM
As a Rush radio listener, If you listen to Rush
he hits on the black subject all the time.
The NFL coach hiring policy is also a joke.
Mat Millen got fined by the NFL for not interveiwing
any black coaches. He invited several black coaches
to interview but they all declined to interview.
And he still got fined by the NFL.

OLDRAT
10-02-2003, 05:28 AM
...Just shaking my head.
Just Rush's opinion....there goes freedom of speech.
This "sensitivity / don't hurt my feelings shit" is screwing the country.
What the **** do the Democratic Presidential
Canidates have to do with it anyway, just jumping
on the "poor minorities bandwagon" to get votes.
These "repressed" #$$!suckers have more rights and
benefits than us working folks.
...Just shaking my head. :confused:

HCS
10-02-2003, 05:36 AM
It was an easy way for the liberal media to take
down a conservative.
What Rush should have said was " If the Nig was good
enough he would have won the Superbowl by now. "
Kind of reminds me of Blazing Saddles. :D
[ October 02, 2003, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: HARDCORE-SKI ]

Caribbean Jet
10-02-2003, 06:49 AM
Well we don't have to worry about any more comments from Rush, he is no longer with ESPN. They were talking about having this guy take Dennis Millers spot on Monday night football. LOL

HCS
10-02-2003, 06:59 AM
Caribbean Jet:
Well we don't have to worry about any more comments from Rush, he is no longer with ESPN. They were talking about having this guy take Dennis Millers spot on Monday night football. LOL Some reason I figured is was bound to happen.
It only takes one comment for the media to throw
someone under the bus.

ratso
10-02-2003, 07:10 AM
**** Philadelphia and **** McNabb. I'm sick and tired of blacks stirring up shit everytime something is said about black this or black that. **** the NAACP. Oh yeah, while we are at it, **** the Bachelor too, I suppose they had to put two black chicks on there bitch about the show. **** the BET channel too, is that discrimination? Why isn't there a WET channel< because a few of these whiny ass black groups would bitch about it. Also I noticed that a few of you are using the "BLACK" word in some of your posts...look out, Hot Boat is sure to catch HELL over that one. I feel better now.

BIGTYME
10-02-2003, 08:31 AM
I agree RATSO, If everybody is supposed to be treated equal why are there BLACK colleges and BLACK television Stations? Take a second and think what it would be like If someone started a White TV station and an ALL white college? The shit would hit the fan but its just the same thing they are doing. As far as that coaching policy, Thats a load of shit. Football is a business the owners pick the BEST, MOST QUALIFIED coaches, does the NFL think a team is gonna pass up a great head coach because he is black? NO its a business, WIN = MORE MONEY for the owner. Thats like saying before you buy a mercedes you have to drive a kia to make them not feel left out!
Big (not a racist just feel very strongly)Tyme
[ October 02, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: BIGTYME ]

Seadog
10-02-2003, 08:49 AM
We have a 'historical black college' between Ou and OSU. They have a hard time attracting students and the despite attempts to integrate is probably 90% black. If it wasn't for be a black college, it would have been made a jr college decades ago. No one complains about them being lopsided in ethnicity or about the amount of money they receive. All you hear is how poorly Ou and OSU are doing at attracting minorities. If we dd any more, we would be paying them to go to school and we may be doing that.

AquaBoogie
10-02-2003, 08:50 AM
ratso:
**** Philadelphia and **** McNabb. I'm sick and tired of blacks stirring up shit everytime something is said about black this or black that. **** the NAACP. Oh yeah, while we are at it, **** the Bachelor too, I suppose they had to put two black chicks on there bitch about the show. **** the BET channel too, is that discrimination? Why isn't there a WET channel< because a few of these whiny ass black groups would bitch about it. Also I noticed that a few of you are using the "BLACK" word in some of your posts...look out, Hot Boat is sure to catch HELL over that one. I feel better now. **** YOU!!!

AquaBoogie
10-02-2003, 08:53 AM
Rush should have kept his comments on the person. He ****ed up when he brought the color of his skin into it.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-02-2003, 09:09 AM
AquaBoogie:
ratso:
**** Philadelphia and **** McNabb. I'm sick and tired of blacks stirring up shit everytime something is said about black this or black that. **** the NAACP. Oh yeah, while we are at it, **** the Bachelor too, I suppose they had to put two black chicks on there bitch about the show. **** the BET channel too, is that discrimination? Why isn't there a WET channel< because a few of these whiny ass black groups would bitch about it. Also I noticed that a few of you are using the "BLACK" word in some of your posts...look out, Hot Boat is sure to catch HELL over that one. I feel better now. **** YOU!!! truth hurts DAWG!!!!
Omega

rrrr
10-02-2003, 09:10 AM
AquaBoogie:
Rush should have kept his comments on the person. He ****ed up when he brought the color of his skin into it. That's bullshit. He couldn't have made the comment then. Just what the **** is wrong with what he said? "The guy is overrated and it's because some people in the media want a black quarterback to succeed". Explain to me how that is racist. You can't, because it's not.
Even if he's wrong, so what? It's his opinion and that's what he was hired for.
If you have a problem with what ratso posted, can't you come up with something better than "**** You"? He's right in a way, the endless crying and finger pointing do more harm to their cause than the stuff they are bitching about.
When the Dallas police chief is fired because he's CLEARLY incompetent, don't you think it's bullshit that a bunch of his supporters go down to City Hall and call the Mayor a racist? It's so ****ing transparent it's a joke. Hell, she's a liberal Democrat. Racist my ass.

AquaBoogie
10-02-2003, 09:11 AM
HARDCORE-SKI:
down a conservative.
Kind of reminds me of Blazing Saddles. :D What's up with the N-word?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-02-2003, 09:19 AM
AquaBoogie:
HARDCORE-SKI:
down a conservative.
Kind of reminds me of Blazing Saddles. :D What's up with the N-word? back down reverend. you are greatly outnumbered on these boards........do you even know the definition of the word you dispise so greatly?????
Omega

AquaBoogie
10-02-2003, 09:25 AM
rrrr:
AquaBoogie:
Rush should have kept his comments on the person. He ****ed up when he brought the color of his skin into it. That's bullshit. He couldn't have made the comment then. Just what the **** is wrong with what he said? "The guy is overrated and it's because some people in the media want a black quarterback to succeed". Explain to me how that is racist. You can't, because it's not.
Even if he's wrong, so what? It's his opinion and that's what he was hired for.
If you have a problem with what ratso posted, can't you come up with something better than "**** You"? He's right in a way, the endless crying and finger pointing do more harm to their cause than the stuff they are bitching about.
When the Dallas police chief is fired because he's CLEARLY incompetent, don't you think it's bullshit that a bunch of his supporters go down to City Hall and call the Mayor a racist? It's so ****ing transparent it's a joke. Hell, she's a liberal Democrat. Racist my ass. Tell me who in the media wants him to succeed simply because he is black? That's bullshit! If he is overrated, it's because they saw something him him that he hasn't produced. They weren't pumping him up because he is black. So to make that comment is idiotic. And dumb-ass opinions should not be voiced.
I also believe that some black organizations go overboard with certain issues. But to say **** them, is uncalled for. They also do some good at times. But of course he or you wouldn't see or believe it.

MagicMtnDan
10-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Rush didn't say anything wrong unless of course there's no more freedome of speech. It was not racist. It was not even insensitive unless you're a thin-skinned whiner who believes that anything critical said about someone who is black is racist.
Let's face it, those on the left can't and won't discuss or debate but they do well at their hate mongering. They blow $hit completely out of proportion (look at this crap with the CIA agent and the President).
If you have a problem with what Rush Limbaugh said you're probably a hypocrite of the highest order (I can only imagine what comes out of your mouth and how it compares to what Rush said). Think about it.

AquaBoogie
10-02-2003, 09:32 AM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
AquaBoogie:
HARDCORE-SKI:
down a conservative.
Kind of reminds me of Blazing Saddles. :D What's up with the N-word? back down reverend. you are greatly outnumbered on these boards........do you even know the definition of the word you dispise so greatly?????
Omega Check it out partner, I'm not your "DAWG" or your reverend. Who am I outnumbered on these boards by?

Dave C
10-02-2003, 09:39 AM
score one for the "P.C. police"
This is a free speech issue. (or lack of it) Eveyone is entitled to their opinion so I guess some or more equal than others.
Remember the most important "free speech" is the most unpopular.
Why is it not OK to accuse a group of pandering? We should call it as we see it...
I think talking about that topic on ESPN is a little "heavy" He should have stuck to his radio talk show.
[ October 02, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Dave C ]

summerlove
10-02-2003, 09:47 AM
MagicMtnDan:
Rush didn't say anything wrong unless of course there's no more freedome of speech. It was not racist. It was not even insensitive unless you're a thin-skinned whiner who believes that anything critical said about someone who is black is racist.
Let's face it, those on the left can't and won't discuss or debate but they do well at their hate mongering. They blow $hit completely out of proportion (look at this crap with the CIA agent and the President).
If you have a problem with what Rush Limbaugh said you're probably a hypocrite of the highest order (I can only imagine what comes out of your mouth and how it compares to what Rush said). Think about it. Talk about hipocrite! Just because we disagree with you makes us a hipocrite? What MMD, we're not entitled to our opinion? If my opinion doesn't fit your close minded approach to life then we're considered "a hipoctite of the highest order"???WTF??? Get over it MMD, your opinion isn't always right and stop trying to force feed your ultra-right wing, blame everything on the liberals approach down our throats.
And yes, BTW, I do have a problem with Rush and his comments. He should have left color out. I bet when he (if he was inclined to do so) made comments about Ryan Leaf, he left the color of his skin out, or do you think he said, Ryan Leaf has failed to live up to his potential because he's white? I think not.
Also, the CIA leak is serious. What about her contacts all-over the world that are now in possible danger of their lives? It is a federal offense to disclose the identity's of CIA agents and the White House condoned the activities and is now covering up the matter. Imagine if this were the Clinton White House - Rush and the Right Wing freight train would be all over this like a fly on dog poo....

MagicMtnDan
10-02-2003, 09:59 AM
summerlove:
MagicMtnDan:
If you have a problem with what Rush Limbaugh said you're probably a hypocrite of the highest order (I can only imagine what comes out of your mouth and how it compares to what Rush said). Think about it. Talk about hipocrite! Just because we disagree with you makes us a hipocrite? What MMD, we're not entitled to our opinion? If my opinion doesn't fit your close minded approach to life then we're considered "a hipoctite of the highest order"???WTF??? Get over it MMD, your opinion isn't always right and stop trying to force feed your ultra-right wing, blame everything on the liberals approach down our throats.
And yes, BTW, I do have a problem with Rush and his comments. He should have left color out. I bet when he (if he was inclined to do so) made comments about Ryan Leaf, he left the color of his skin out, or do you think he said, Ryan Leaf has failed to live up to his potential because he's white? I think not.
Also, the CIA leak is serious. What about her contacts all-over the world that are now in possible danger of their lives? It is a federal offense to disclose the identity's of CIA agents and the White House condoned the activities and is now covering up the matter. Imagine if this were the Clinton White House - Rush and the Right Wing freight train would be all over this like a fly on dog poo.... Easy now. I didn't call you a hypocrite because you disagree with me! I don't care if you agree.
I said if you have a problem with what he said (which was harmless - he basically said that the media wants a black qb to do well and that's true) then you're probably a hypocrite because what comes out of most peoples' mouths is WAY MORE HURTFUL and negative than what he said. It was a generalization not directed at you but hey, if the shoe fits...
As for the CIA agent -there's a lot more going on there than the screaming liberals want you to know - first of all, Robert Novak, who published the story just published another story saying that the information about her was essentially already out in the public domain. And did you realize that it was the agent’s husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson IV, who accused the White House (he's not a Bush supporter and he's also her husband so who do you think he's going to blame?!) - he said he believes the leak came from the White House as retribution for his public questioning of President Bush’s rationale for going to war with Iraq and to intimidate other administration critics into remaining silent.
Yeah, the Democrats want a special prosecutor right after they were fed up with the special prosecutor looking into Bill Clinton. It's just politics as usual.
I'm not in favor of ever releasing agent's names, etc., as it does affect lives, careers and reputations but this one smells like pure political BS and the lefties are only too happy to use this sword to go after Bush in an election year.

nhbuoy
10-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Although I think Rush is a pompous, big-mouthed, wind-bag,...He does say what's on his mind... agree or disagree...THIS TIME I have to agree with him...McNabb is, & has been, WAY over-rated... Rush called a SPADE a SPADE!!!...No pun intended :rolleyes: ....Black, white, or lime-green...The guy (McNabb) SUCKS!!!...As a side note...I think we white guys (who REALLY are the "minority")...Should start calling all these clowns out about "our" un-fair & discriminatory practices that WE have to deal with!!!...Must be nice to be able to run the racist flag up the pole EVERY time you feel you're being "picked-on"...Makes for a VERY comfortable & lazy way to make your world go 'round...

summerlove
10-02-2003, 10:23 AM
MagicMtnDan:
Easy now. I didn't call you a hypocrite because you disagree with me! I don't care if you agree.
I said if you have a problem with what he said (which was harmless - he basically said that the media wants a black qb to do well and that's true) then you're probably a hypocrite because what comes out of most peoples' mouths is WAY MORE HURTFUL and negative than what he said. It was a generalization not directed at you but hey, if the shoe fits...
As for the CIA agent -there's a lot more going on there than the screaming liberals want you to know - first of all, Robert Novak, who published the story just published another story saying that the information about her was essentially already out in the public domain. And did you realize that it was the agent’s husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson IV, who accused the White House (he's not a Bush supporter and he's also her husband so who do you think he's going to blame?!) - he said he believes the leak came from the White House as retribution for his public questioning of President Bush’s rationale for going to war with Iraq and to intimidate other administration critics into remaining silent.
Yeah, the Democrats want a special prosecutor right after they were fed up with the special prosecutor looking into Bill Clinton. It's just politics as usual.
I'm not in favor of ever releasing agent's names, etc., as it does affect lives, careers and reputations but this one smells like pure political BS and the lefties are only too happy to use this sword to go after Bush in an election year. [/QB][/QUOTE]
To be honest, I fully expected to be completely trashed by you after the last post - I was pleasantrly surprised! :p
And, yes, you are 100% correct - what comes out of most peoples mouths (even some on this post) is far more hurtful and negative, but they are not in the position that Rush is in, a celebrity radio and tv personality running a VERY conservative talk program. He is, as is every American, entitled to their constitutional right to express themselves, which he did. I just think he crossed the line when he referenced the "black" statement - what difference does the color of his skin make? I don't think it was racist, just a bad choice. I think Disney accepted his resignation immediately (forced??? maybe) due to his alleged drug addiction and the investigation to his abuse of OxyContin.
my .02

HCS
10-02-2003, 10:26 AM
I used the nig word because in the media's eyes
thats what he might as well said.
Rush left himself out there for the kill.
He should have took more time to explain himself.
The Jimmy the Greeks and Howard Cowsells found
that out also. What Rush said wasn't near as bad
but in the media's eyes it might as well have been.
You just can't make any comments about blacks
these days and be politically correct.
Here in Sacramento the NAACP is after Teichert
constuction company because they haven't hired any black
supervisors. What a bunch of bullshit.
Your either qualified or not.

MagicMtnDan
10-02-2003, 10:47 AM
summerlove:
[QUOTE]To be honest, I fully expected to be completely trashed by you after the last post - I was pleasantrly surprised! :p
And, yes, you are 100% correct - what comes out of most peoples mouths (even some on this post) is far more hurtful and negative, but they are not in the position that Rush is in, a celebrity radio and tv personality running a VERY conservative talk program. He is, as is every American, entitled to their constitutional right to express themselves, which he did. I just think he crossed the line when he referenced the "black" statement - what difference does the color of his skin make? I don't think it was racist, just a bad choice. I think Disney accepted his resignation immediately (forced??? maybe) due to his alleged drug addiction and the investigation to his abuse of OxyContin.
my .02 Why would I trash you? I have nothing against you and I respect you for (a) having a different opinion and (b) for expressing it so well.
As for the color of his (the QB's) skin, it was relevant because the point I think Rush was trying to make is that the media is "pulling" for black QB's (and black coaches and black owners), wanting them to do well. It's obvious they are - there have been all kinds of articles on that and the coaching issue (in Detroit) and ownership, etc.
Rush's point (I think) was clear - it was that (a) he is overrated and (b) the media does want black QB's (and coaches and oweners) to do well.
It's hard to find fault with that statement and it's hard to see how it's racist or even insensitive. It should make it clear to everyone just how "PC" (politically correct) everyone needs to be especially when blacks/African-Americans are the subject of the discussion.
As for Rush's alleged drug use that's a subject for another thread probably and it's something that I don't really (yet) know much about. I'm not really a big Rush fan but I will defend what he said which wasn't anything to make a big deal about and certainly not worth him or ESPN being pressured (apparently ESPN sucked the big one on this - I heard that they initially supported him then went "PC" on him and criticized him). If that's true then ESPN sucks!

CA Stu
10-02-2003, 11:03 AM
ESPN is a sports network
Rush Limbaugh is a political commentator
Rush politicized a sports show by bringing up the NFL's pathetic attempt at affirmative action, that is the real problem.
Sure McNabb hasn't performed, but to make a political issue out of it in that forum was just plain stupid.
As far as racism, it's 2003 for Christ's sake. Anyone that passes judgment on a person based on skin color has their head up their ass.
Either aiding or hindering anyone on the basis of race is wrong.
Didn't anyone watch Law and Order last night? :D
CA Stu

mirvin
10-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Nobody cried foul when Dusty Baker said that stuff about Puerto Rican's being better in the heat then whities, or when the media made a big deal about the Redskins quarterback (can't remember his name) being the first black QB in the superbowl!!
What's different here?

HCS
10-02-2003, 12:26 PM
mirvin:
Nobody cried foul when Dusty Baker said that stuff about Puerto Rican's being better in the heat then whities, or when the media made a big deal about the Redskins quarterback (can't remember his name) being the first black QB in the superbowl!!
What's different here? Doug Williams, for whatever it's worth. :rolleyes:

rrrr
10-02-2003, 12:43 PM
AquaBoogie:
Tell me who in the media wants him to succeed simply because he is black? That's bullshit! If he is overrated, it's because they saw something him him that he hasn't produced. They weren't pumping him up because he is black. So to make that comment is idiotic. And dumb-ass opinions should not be voiced.
You are missing the point completely. I don't care if the observation he made is true or not. It's his opinion, and this is the United States of America, and he should damn sure be able to say what he wants. He was not offensive in the least if you have a brain about such things.
...."dumb-ass opinions should not be voiced."
Well, I consider THAT a dumb ass opinion. But I don't care if you say stupid shit, it's a free country. Or it used to be.
With all of the stupid mother****ing bullshit that comes out of the TV set every day, this doesn't even deserve a mention.

Dave C
10-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Mirvin, Good point. Its called the double standard.
BTW, "those Panderers" i.e. those "people" that constantly have to prove or remind us all that their NOT a racist are either really a bigot or have a guilty concious.
You know the type I am talking about.
We are plagued by many those types around here.
[ October 02, 2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Dave C ]

locogringo
10-02-2003, 08:52 PM
CA Stu:
ESPN is a sports network
Rush Limbaugh is a political commentator
Rush politicized a sports show by bringing up the NFL's pathetic attempt at affirmative action, that is the real problem.
Sure McNabb hasn't performed, but to make a political issue out of it in that forum was just plain stupid.
As far as racism, it's 2003 for Christ's sake. Anyone that passes judgment on a person based on skin color has their head up their ass.
Either aiding or hindering anyone on the basis of race is wrong.
Didn't anyone watch Law and Order last night? :D
CA Stu An obvious liberal here (not that anything is wrong with that)
How about this stint...
Dennis Miller is a comedian.
In the beginning, Miller comediasized (new word :D )a sports show by bringing up stupid and sometimes off-base commentary. That was the real problem!
Sure there wer players that didn't perform, but to make a comedic issue out of it in that forum was just plain stupid.
As far as comedy, it's 2003 for Christ's sake. Anyone that passes comedic judgment on a person based on skin color has their head up their ass.
'nuff said!

locogringo
10-02-2003, 08:54 PM
see the similarities in your post and mine???

eliminatedsprinter
10-03-2003, 09:01 AM
I admit there is too much uproar. However, Michael Vick is by far the most exiting QB in the league and his injury has cost the league some ratings no doubt. McNabb is definatly one of the best currently in the league, as is McNair.
Rushes statement was wrong, and it displayed breathtakingly poor judgement.

Seadog
10-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Even if RL was totally off base, the fact that he was forced out for his opinions, even when they were not racist, is a bad sign for all americans. Break the statement down into two parts. 1. He is only a mediocre QB. There are a lot of black writers who question his abilities. Maybe he is or maybe he isn't a great QB, but most QBs are made great by the team. If they can protect him and catch the passes, he looks good. 2. The media is wanting to see a black quarterback do good. Hell yes! Even more so, is the attitude of the NFL. I mean give me a break, giving a guy hell for snapping up a great coach because he didn't try to hire a black first!
This whole thing reminds me of my dog digging in the mud to see if there is a rat there. A lot of yapping, mud flying everywhere and in the end, all you have is a bunch of mud all over everything and nothing gained except that you dug yourself deeper into a hole.

eliminatedsprinter
10-03-2003, 02:25 PM
I hate the fact that race is still a sensitive issue (at least with the backward, media) in our country. But it is. I don't think we should be afraid to speak about race or race relations. However, when we do, we should be careful to be as accurate and thoughtful as we can. Rush shot his mouth off and made a silly (20+year outdated) statement with no facts to back it up. Jeeze, I remember when people said stuff like this when James Harris was QB for the rams in the 70s. I don't think he deserved to be fired from ESPN for this statement, but I also don't see what he had to qualify for that particular job in the first place.
[ October 03, 2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

Irishluck
10-03-2003, 03:29 PM
eliminatedsprinter:
I hate the fact that race is still a sensitive issue (at least with the backward, media) in our country. But it is. I don't think we should be afraid to speak about race or race relations. However, when we do, we should be careful to be as accurate and thoughtful as we can. Rush shot his mouth off and made a silly (20+year outdated) statement with no facts to back it up. Jeeze, I remember when people said stuff like this when James Harris was QB for the rams in the 70s. I don't think he deserved to be fired from ESPN for this statement, but I also don't see what he had to qualify for that particular job in the first place. I agree with your post but why is racism brought into the picture when a white person says anything remotely controversal. It's a double standard that really needs to change but it won't and it will only continue to reshape the way our country is run. Best man for the job, no we need to meet the racial quotas, pure liberal bull shit.

eliminatedsprinter
10-03-2003, 03:50 PM
That is the $64 question. 35 years ago I would have said it was about 200+ years of opression, but now ????? Probably because we have all been demagogued to death over it, by people who profit from continued racial conflict.

Catmando
10-04-2003, 09:55 AM
WILDERTHANU:
I'M A RUSH LIMBAUGH SUPPORTER .........HE JUST REPORTS THE FACTS PEOPLE ! ! FlushRush Limburger is a bald-faced LIAR. In addition to being a closet racist.

Catmando
10-04-2003, 09:57 AM
eliminatedsprinter:
I admit there is too much uproar. However, Michael Vick is by far the most exiting QB in the league and his injury has cost the league some ratings no doubt. McNabb is definatly one of the best currently in the league, as is McNair.
Rushes statement was wrong, and it displayed breathtakingly poor judgement. Absolutely!!

Catmando
10-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Dr. Eagle:
I think what Rush said was accurate. But the political correctness NAZI's will have a field day with it. I am not sure it was smart for that reason and that reason only.
It it too bad that you can't say what you think without getting nuked in this politically correct age. Are you and that fatuous fool Magic Mountain Dan twin brothers? Because you sure think alike.
[ October 04, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Catmando ]

roostwear
10-04-2003, 10:09 AM
How long do you think the race card could be played by minorities if whites snap and get confrontational whenever even the slightest derogatory (real or imagined) white reference is made? Won't have to wait much longer before Anglos (don't call me caucasian, I take offense to the sound of the word) are the minority.

ratso
10-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Catmando, if you truly have a 100 mph boat, why aren't you at Whitney today? We are heading out about 2 or 3 today and possibly tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I should have my red HydroStream out there tomorrow...

Wet Dream
10-04-2003, 11:07 AM
CA Stu:
Rush must not be a football fan.
Screw the cranky old bastard!
CA Stu
Thanks
CA Stu You obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about. At least at the time you posted this reply you didn't. Do you even know what Rush said? :rolleyes:

Catmando
10-05-2003, 12:29 PM
MagicMtnDan:
If you have a problem with what Rush Limbaugh said you're probably a hypocrite of the highest order (I can only imagine what comes out of your mouth and how it compares to what Rush said). Think about it. You're full of shit as usual. ****ing redneck you CAN'T think. burningm burningm

JetBoatRich
10-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Rush made a poor choice in words, I watched Sunday Morning ESPN football show and they did a 15 minute discussion on it. Tom Jackson sounded pretty pissed off and I thought he was going to come to tears.
Color of skin did not need to be mentioned on the subject.