PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads

Boozer
06-19-2003, 10:11 AM
So the Brake pads in my Durango took a crap on me and I'm metal to metal right now so I am going to do the brakes on Saturday before they destroy the rotors.
Is there anything in specific I should be looking for in particular? Wear ratings or anything like that?
I have always had cars and ran racing pads on them but now that I have a truck and Im towing a boat I don't know what I need.
Prices range on pads from 31.99 to 129.99 They are all semi metallic pads so I dont understand what the big difference in price is.
What should I look for?

Ziggy
06-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Boozer, pads will wear at different rates depending on the compounds and/or quality of compounds...more expensive should be of better quality but not necesarily. Ask about warranties, we buy some for our delivery truck that have lifetime wear warranty, we've replaced pads 4 times, three times for free in over 200k miles. Hope that helps a little.

Boozer
06-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Ziggy:
Boozer, pads will wear at different rates depending on the compounds and/or quality of compounds...more expensive should be of better quality but not necesarily. Ask about warranties, we buy some for our delivery truck that have lifetime wear warranty, we've replaced pads 4 times, three times for free in over 200k miles. Hope that helps a little. So "technically" I could buy the $34.99 pads that'll stop me just like anything else but wear down a lot quicker and continue to have them replaced free of charge since they come with a lifetime warranty. Sounds like thats what I'll be doing. To bad you can't get the same deal on Rotors.

STV_Keith
06-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Go to Autozone (or similar) and get the Performance Friction "Z" series pads. Made a big difference in pedal feel and initial bite on my Durango. They are lifetime guaranteed too.
[ June 19, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: STV_Keith ]

SchellSchock
06-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Keep in mind that the higher cost, better, "will last a lifetime", etc are usually harder which means they wear the rotors more.