PDA

View Full Version : Chevy/Duramax Questions

EricU
04-25-2003, 04:57 PM
I am thinking of getting a new Chevy 4-Door 3/4 ton 4wd (8' bed) with the Duramax and auto tranny. I currently drive a 01 F-250 Powerstroke, but it is too small for my two boys.
Also the turning radius on my current Ford is already horrible, and the Chevys seem to have a better turning radius.
Does anyone know what size lift the Chevys need to put some decent size (not huge) tires, like some 305s. I really don't like the look of the little tires that Chevy puts on their trucks.
I use my trucks as daily drivers and have had lifted trucks before that beat the shit out of me. I am too got damn old now for that shit.
Also can the factory stereo head unit be hooked up to aftermarket amps? I like to use the factory head units and hide the amps, speakers and subs, so I don't have to worry so much when the truck is parked all day at the launch ramp.
Any comments from current Durramax owners?
Thanks, Eric.

Starloans
04-25-2003, 07:04 PM
How fricking big are your boys? Is your 250 a Screw or extended cab??
Every Ford I've been in will turn inside a Chevy/GMC.
I have a GMC Quad cab 4x4 8.1L gas short box 2500HD and it takes 20 acres of ****ing real estate to turn it around. Every parking fucntion is a 3 point turn.
I love it!
If you get anything with 4 doors and 8' box you will need land to turn it around. I don't think it matters what truck you buy it will always be BIG. So buy the one you like.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/438Truck0005-med.jpg
I have heard good things about the new Duramax. I got the gas because I didn't think I could stand the noise. I think the older ones are not so good. Get the Allison Tranny and you will be good.
I have a RCD 4" lift in the front and 2" in the back. I wanted the same as you, OK ride but not too tall. I have LT305/70/16 tires. Guy said the were the same as 33s. Not too big, just right.
Audio? I don't have a clue. I got the factory Bose with the 6 disc all loaded in the dash. No magazine. Sounds awesome. Sure you need the amps? If you can't stand a rough ride you may wanna save your hearing. However, if you insist your local audio shop can probably answer you questions.
Go to the Silverado website and click on comparisons. Yes, the Chevy needs more room to turn. 3 feet more.
web page (http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/index.html)
If you are buying new, use a broker. I used a broker and I will never buy a new vehicle from the lot again. Here is his website. His name is Armen. I got him from these boards. This guy is great.
web page (http://www.diamond-motors.com/)
Good luck.

Lightning
04-26-2003, 07:13 AM
I agree with starloans on the trucks. The duramax is a good motor and the allison tranny is bullet proof.
Armen a Diamond-Motors does good work on getting you a vehicle, he is an honest guy that won't screw you over. diamond-motors (http://www.diamond-motors.com)

SuperWrench0166
04-26-2003, 03:11 PM
if 62,000 is not to much you should look at the new chevy 4500 and 5500 converted over they turn on a dime will turn sharper then any pickup on the road aka the Kodiak Pickup http://www.monroetruck.com/index.asp

Cheyenne19
04-27-2003, 08:41 AM
I have 285/75/16's on my 2003. It has the six foot bed though. Turning is not bad compared to my standard cab shortbed, but it is different. Your 305's are the same height as my 285's but yours are 3/4" wider. They probably wouldn't fit on it stock, but I am not sure I would spend that kind of money for 3/4". I am sure it would look good on that size truck though. I hate those little 245's that come on one.

SoCalOffshore
04-27-2003, 09:21 PM
ON my '03 I have 285 60R 18's and all I did was turn the torsion bars.

Jordy
04-27-2003, 09:31 PM
I've got my '02 just about set up the way I want it now, running 285/75R16 Mud-terrains on 16x10's. They just barely clear with the torsions cranked all the way up. The off-road shops I talked to are telling me that it's a bad thing and I need to buy their $2500 lift kit to do the same thing. I found out that you can get torsion adjusters that are indexed differently than stock from the dealer and they'll give you another couple inches. Other than that, you can notch the holes in the bumper mounts and pick up an inch by sliding it forward. I want to just clear the tires as I still pull a gooseneck trailer from time to time and I don't want to make more problems there. Right now, the '02 is a foot or so taller than my '94 that is on 265's.
http://www.havasudoug.com/iB_html/uploads/post-1-28977-DSC00433.JPG

PLACECRAFT20
04-28-2003, 07:57 AM
I AM RUNNING 2001 GMC2500 HD EXTENDED CAB SHORT BOX. 8.1 WITH ALLISON TRANS. I CAME OUT OF TWO POWERSTROKES BEFORE THAT. I LOVE THE GMC. IT WONT PULL WITH THE STROKES BUT IT WILL OUT DRIVE THEM HANDS DOWN. I COULD NOT AFFORD THE DURAMAX. AS FAR AS TIRES AND WHEELS I AM RUNNING 325/60/18S ON 18" 9 3/4 WIDE WHEELS. THESE ARE EQUIVELENT TO 33" TIRES. I RAISED THE TORSION BARS AND DID A LITTLE TRIMMING BUT DID NOT INSTALL A LIFT. THE LAST IRS LIFT I HAD ON A TRUCK DROVE TERRIBLE NOT TO MENTION THE SQUEEKS AND RADDLES.

San Diego
04-28-2003, 09:29 AM
EricU, I recently got the 03. I really enjoy the Duramax/Allison combo. The grade braking is awesome. Much quieter than many others. The stock head unit can have amps added, I think a crossover solves the problem. I too went with the Bose system so I haven't needed to add anything. The Bose system with bucket seats comes with 4 in door speakers, 2 Tweets, 1 Subwoofer,an amp, and the 6 Disc in-dash.

EricU
04-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replys, sounds like I won't need a lift kit.
When you guys are cranking on the torsion bars, is the ride being effected much?
And Starloans, to answer your questions
1) My boys are too god damn big for my extended cab F-250. I'm tired of getting whacked in the back by my 100 lb seven year old. And his youger brother is 20 lbs lighter, but about an inch taller. Then throw in all the crap that they seem to carry -- baseball gloves, bats, karate outfits, wakeboard shit, skateboard shit blah, blah, blah!
2) I have heard the factory Bose system and it is nice for a stock stereo. But as an old fart, nothing beats three JL audio 10s, MB Quart seperates front and rear with the amps to push them! I don't listen to rap, (as I'm just old white trash!) but rock is meant to be played loud and clear!
Eric.

San Diego
04-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Eric, Stock these trucks ride like Cadillacs, at least mine does, CrewCab longbed 4x4. I cranked the torsions just to level out the ride, and it rides like shiet! I am going to put Bilsteins on and see if that helps, if not I will lower it back down 1/2" at a time until it is acceptable.

Starloans
04-28-2003, 11:40 AM
EricU:
Thanks for the replys, sounds like I won't need a lift kit.
When you guys are cranking on the torsion bars, is the ride being effected much?
And Starloans, to answer your questions
1) My boys are too god damn big for my extended cab F-250. I'm tired of getting whacked in the back by my 100 lb seven year old. And his youger brother is 20 lbs lighter, but about an inch taller. Then throw in all the crap that they seem to carry -- baseball gloves, bats, karate outfits, wakeboard shit, skateboard shit blah, blah, blah!
2) I have heard the factory Bose system and it is nice for a stock stereo. But as an old fart, nothing beats three JL audio 10s, MB Quart seperates front and rear with the amps to push them! I don't listen to rap, (as I'm just old white trash!) but rock is meant to be played loud and clear!
Eric. ROCK ON ERIC!
From my experience anytime you jack the torsion bars it will make the ride stiffer or bouncy in the front. I've had a F150 4x4 and a Ford Exploder with AWD and when I changed the torsion adjustment it raised the front but DID change the ride.
IT"S A DAMN TRUCK for pete's sake!!! :D
Keep in mind for you do-it-yourselfers, I've been told by many people anytime you change the torsion adjustment you need to do a realignment.
Even in the case of a lift I think the torsion bars are adjusted???? I must be lucky. My truck is pretty tight with no rattles or squeeks so far. I think it rides pretty good considering its a pickup truck. I do keep the tires aired down a bit but not too low. When I tow or haul I pump em up.
In any case you need a quad cab. What the hell you feeding your kids? :)
Go to the car lot find the truck you like and call that guy Armen at Diamond Motors. He can also help you with financing. I got 3.9% for 60 months. I see they have 0% for 60 months now on any GM.
Good luck.

swac
05-05-2003, 01:23 PM
i am really close to fitting 325\60\r18's on my stock 03 2500 the biggest i have seen on a stock one is a 305 somthing...

Ross
05-23-2003, 05:21 PM
If you're using the stock rims,, 285's are the biggest you can slide in there.
You'll have to trim a bit of plastic (3") inside the drivers side wheel well front (unnoticable), takes 5 seconds with a box cutter.
Another advantage are 285's are a more common tire, stocked by more dealers than the 305's so if ya get a blow out or some other bad damage on the road their easy to find.
I have the Goodrich All Terrain and they're super.
No more airing down on the sand at Pismo , Glamis or Dumont.
They sing just a tiny bit sometimes, have excellent traction wet or dry.
No more lifted trucks for us,, stock suspension, height, and ride are good enough.

Raskal
05-24-2003, 09:34 AM
here some 305 on my 4x with no lift only turn turned up alittle
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/158P5210164-med.JPG
sorry not the durmax but thats next :p
[ May 24, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Raskal ]

OGShocker
05-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Eric,
I have a 03 4x4 duramax/allison. GREAT trucks. The one problem I have is in the 4x4 switching, it won't switch. The "new" chevy system is FUBAR. The fix from chevy is... argue and I quote...."oh yeah, that problem...there is no fix for that
problem"... jawdrop
Do not get me wrong I would push my Chevy 100,000 miles before I bought a Ford. This is my eighth one, I have had them lifted, slammed and stock two doors or four, duallies and fleetside and I love them all regardless shape or size. LIKE A ROCK, Baby!
OGS
[ May 29, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: OGShocker ]

Party Cat
05-29-2003, 01:21 PM
To hook up your factory radio check out PAC...they have the dealio's to interface w/aftermarket stuff....
PAC (http://www.go2pac.com/index.asp)

Trailer Park Casanova
05-30-2003, 03:03 PM
OGShocker:
Eric,
I have a 03 4x4 duramax/allison. GREAT trucks. The one problem I have is in the 4x4 switching, it won't switch. The "new" chevy system is FUBAR. The fix from chevy is... argue and I quote...."oh yeah, that problem...there is no fix for that
problem"... jawdrop
Do not get me wrong I would push my Chevy 100,000 miles before I bought a Ford. This is my eighth one, I have had them lifted, slammed and stock two doors or four, duallies and fleetside and I love them all regardless shape or size. LIKE A ROCK, Baby!
OGS If you're shifting from 2 hi to 4 lo you have to switch the trans into neutral.
2hi to 4 hi you should have no proble.
If you do,, go to a different dealer for service.
The dealer out here has gone through 5 service managers in 12 months and no good mechanic is going to stick around through that kinda non sense. Your dealership may be experiencing some sort of turmoil too.
Good mechanix often follow good service managers around when they switch jobs.
Call BOB the service manager at Guy Schmidt GMC in Glendale.
He's an Advantage owner, and is also serious about GM 4x4's and he'll help you.
He lives and breaths Advantage boats and GM 4x4's.
I have 40.000 trouble free miles on my Allison 4x4..
Bob won't let you down.
[ May 30, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]