PDA

View Full Version : Anybody towing with a Bronco?

Dan C.
08-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Full size obviously, not the Bronco II. I'm thinking about selling my truck and having no car payment and was looking at the Broncos.
Any input???
Thanks,
Dan

Jetdriver
08-07-2003, 06:01 AM
I have before. Borrowed a friends to tow a boat once. It was ok but the boat really pulled and pushed it around. BTW it was an 18' Jet that I was pulling. If I were you I would look for something a little bigger. ie... A Tahoe or Expedition

Dan C.
08-07-2003, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the info...
I've got a 99 F250 LWB PSD 6spd right now that will tow anything, but I need something with an auto (knee surgery coming up) and rather than buying a new or slightly used truck, I'm thinking I might just find an older SUV. I really like the Broncos because I'm familiar with the Ford stuff, but thought I'd do some research before I put too much effort into it.
Oh, my truck is for sale by the way... F250 For Sale (http://www.austinareastangs.com/truck/forsale.html)

hboldno7
08-07-2003, 08:01 AM
My Bronco tows My 19 foot jet around great. What size boat will you be towing?

Dan C.
08-07-2003, 08:20 AM
21 right now, hopefully stepping up to either a 23 or 25 soon. Total weight should be under 5000lbs even with the 25' boat.
-Dan

01RENEGADE
08-08-2003, 10:08 AM
I had the last year that ford made the bronco 1996. I really liked the 5.8 351 it had in it . It pulled my 21 pretty good but I had to install air bags to the leafs for sagging problems. The short whel base tends to sag with weight. I have moved to a expedition and the longer wheel base is much better, but if I had to do it over I would get the 250 crew cab good luck.

Trash
08-08-2003, 09:29 PM
I've got a 95 Bronco w/351 and tow a 21 ft which weighs about 5000 lbs. loaded. It does okay. I've had NO problem with suspension sag. In fact, we towed the boat from San Diego to Michigan (I know, I know, whey the hell would I do that) with boat and truck loaded up pretty good and the rear suspension did great. It dropped about 2 inches max. You do feel the boat wanting to influence the truck a little, but no white knuckle ride. Short wheel base is mostly resposible for this. However, the short wheel base is great for backing down and maneuverability.
We upgraded to an Excursion diesel for the diesel power (and mileage) and the extra set of doors. The Bronco still makes it easier shoe-horning the boat back into the garage though!

kp216
08-10-2003, 06:11 AM
I've got a 95 Bronco as well with the factory tow package and 351. It pulls our 18' jet with no problem whatsoever. The wife pulls the boat with it and I pull the camper with my Dodge Cummins. She gets scared easy and wouldn't tow if it felt squirrely.

little rowe boat
08-10-2003, 06:36 PM
I Have a howard 220 offshore and I use to tow it with a full sized bronco.The power was fine but it use to get a bit squirrely do to the short wheel base.Needless to say I would tow very slow usually not more than 60 mph. :)