PDA

View Full Version : Yukon Maintenence Bulletin???

mtndewdrops
06-09-2003, 07:58 PM
A friend of mine just had the pistons replaced in his 2001 Yukon under Factory Warranty. I guess it had too much clearance and was noisy when starting...He said it is not an official recall but just a Service Bulletin. I have not heard any clatters from mine. :( Anyone else?

Ziggy
06-09-2003, 08:00 PM
mine clatters like crazy---but then again its a Ford Power Stroke...hehe
But seriously, if you hear noise or have unusual oil consumption then there is something to worry about. Watch it closely.
[ June 09, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

buck183
06-09-2003, 08:58 PM
I have yet to see one that doesn't make the noise.
Mine has 30k miles on it. Makes the noise, no problem.
Buck

Akamatsu
06-10-2003, 06:33 AM
Here is a copy of what is supposed to be the TSB:
"Engine Knock on Cold Start
1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models
2002 Cadillac Escalade (2WD)
with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, T, Z, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ4)
This bulletin is being revised to add an additional engine to the models section.
Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first 19,000-24,000 km (12,000-15,000 mi) of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial start-up and typically disappears within the first 5-30 seconds (may last longer in extreme cold temperatures). The noise is usually more noticeable on the initial start-up when the temperature is below 10°C (50°F) and may be more pronounced on the first cold start following a long trip.
This noise may be caused by an interaction between carbon that has formed on the piston, the piston motion and the cylinder wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines with this condition, has confirmed that the noise is not detrimental to the performance, reliability or durability of the engine. THIS NOISE DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE LONGEVITY OF ANY OF THE ENGINE COMPONENTS.
Important
At this time, attempts to repair this condition by replacing the engine assembly or pistons are not recommended.
Please share the information found in this bulletin with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise your Area Service Manager."
I have heard of a few people getting their Pistons replaced by the dealer. It seems to be mainly the 6.0 Litre engines. More info can be found over on the forums at Chevytalk (http://www.chevytalk.com) . I am also happy to report that I don't hear any slap out of my 2000 5.3 with 70K.
Akamatsu

mtndewdrops
06-10-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info Akamatsu...I am hoping mine is one of the Wednesday production runs instead of a Monday or Friday production run... :D

gettinby
06-10-2003, 11:36 AM
There has been alot of concern about this piston noise, but last I talked to our district rep., he said to not attempt repairs @ this time. Last I heard they were blaming it on aluminum cyl. heads and oil pans etc, that don't mask noises as well as previous cast iron designs. Alot of pistons were being replaced initially, but no more at this time.

gettinby
06-10-2003, 11:52 AM
oh yeah! I almost forgot, theres been quite a few oil pickup tube o-rings that have been improperly installed and cut upon installation. So the lifters make a lot of racket on start up. Have them check that if it sounds like lifters.

Back To Havasu
06-10-2003, 02:06 PM
2001 Tahoe 4X4. 43,000 miles and no piston slap or other strange noises. I am fortunate, I guess. wink