PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Towing Capacity/Handling

GlastronGuy
04-23-2003, 02:16 PM
I have a 1/2 ton 2001 Chevy Xcab, short bed with a towing capacity of 7100 pounds. It is an Auto with the tow package and the 300ci V8. The boat/trailer weighs in at around 3000 pounds. I am thinking of getting a small 5th wheel that weighs about 4000 pounds.
At this point I want to use my truck to tow this package.
Other than trailer brakes on the 5th wheel, what can I do to increase my tow rating or make the package easier to handle? Would brakes on the boat trailer help or should it freewheel behind the 5th wheel? Bigger sway bars, chip, etc?
TIA

77charger
04-23-2003, 02:58 PM
do you want accelerated wear on the trans and rear end?(they are not realy as strong as you think)
as far as suspension stiffer springs or air bags will help as well as brakes on both trailers.

Mandelon
04-24-2003, 06:05 AM
Air bags will help level the load. Better shocks. I've heard that the Rancho 9000's are great for periodic loads, since they adjust. Bilsteins too.
Probably want to get best brake pads you can find.
Although the 1/2 tons aren't really made for this. What is the tongue weight vs the load capacity of the truck?? And the towed weight of the trailer compared to the capacity of the truck??
Wait a minute, I just re-read your post. YOu want to tow the 5th wheel and have the 5th wheel tow the boat??
That's a bad idea. Get a bigger truck. You will be a CHP magnet!
[ April 24, 2003, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

San Diego
04-24-2003, 06:47 AM
Get a bigger truck! I am no expert but I think the bumper tow needs to have its own brakes and must weigh less than the 5er. The previous posts are on the money, the rear-end and the brakes are the weakest link. My $.02

GlastronGuy
04-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Mandelon:
Air bags will help level the load. Better shocks. I've heard that the Rancho 9000's are great for periodic loads, since they adjust. Bilsteins too.
Probably want to get best brake pads you can find.
Although the 1/2 tons aren't really made for this. What is the tongue weight vs the load capacity of the truck?? And the towed weight of the trailer compared to the capacity of the truck??
Wait a minute, I just re-read your post. YOu want to tow the 5th wheel and have the 5th wheel tow the boat??
That's a bad idea. Get a bigger truck. You will be a CHP magnet! Why would it be a CHP magnet?

GofastRacer
04-24-2003, 08:25 AM
That is a bad combination, the two trailers are almost double the weight of the tow vehicle, in a situation what you are pulling will overcome that little truck in no time. Even with the addons that you mention, a little bit of wind and you will be all over the road!. Your 7100lbs capacity is not what you're towing, it's the combination of all vehicles. Take a look at your manual, it'l say 7100GVW "Gross Vehicle Weight". Your two trailers are 7000lbs, what does your truck weigh?, has to be over 3000?, you're looking at least 10,000lbs, that's way over the legal capacity of your truck and DOT would have a field day with ya, not to mention expensive and unsafe. I have seen them make people drop one trailer and come back for the other one, that sucks!. You definitly need a bigger truck!. Personally, if I was to tow doubles, i wouldn't have anything but a dually. If you ever tow with one, you'd never go back to a four wheeler!..Just my .02... :)
[ April 24, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

Akamatsu
04-24-2003, 08:36 AM
I checked into a combination like this a few years back. I stopped into the CHP office and asked some questions. As I recall, the Truck had to have a GVWR of 10,000 lbs or more in order to tow doubles. I Have a Chevy Crew Cab Dually, and it met the requirement. In addition, you are going to need a Commercial License with Doubles/Triples endorsement to pull more than 1 trailer. You may stop by your local CHP office, they were more than helpful when I went in.
Akamatsu

GofastRacer
04-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Ooops, forgot about the CDL, I should know better, I have all endorcements!, LOL.. Actually, you can get a CDL manual at the DMV for free and that tells all the weight requirements. I also have a Chevy crew cab dually, I wouldn't have anything else for towing!.. :cool:

GlastronGuy
04-24-2003, 09:17 AM
I have a CDL class A with doubles/triples/hazmat and tanker.
I'll double check the numbers but I believe the 7100 was towing capacity, not GVW.
I hate to get rid of my truck, I have less than 19000 miles on it but you guys are right about pulling doubles.
I think I'll look at used diesel trucks.

GofastRacer
04-24-2003, 07:36 PM
It's possible, but I've never seen a towing weight rating on a vehicle that didn't include the GVW??. It is a wise decision to look at a bigger truck though. Not only that but, you will be a lot more comfortable driving on a trip!. BTW, not meening to be nosey but, are you a trucker too??.. :cool:
BTW, don't get rid of the one you have now, just get another one!.. :D
[ April 24, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

Mandelon
04-24-2003, 07:53 PM
QUOTE]Why would it be a CHP magnet? [/QB][/QUOTE]
How many of these (recreational doubles) do you see on the road?? I've only seen a couple and I remember them cuz they really got my attention.
I imagine they will get the attention of any Highway Patrol guys out there. Especially when you're doing 35 miles per hour up the Cajon pass......I can only assume that they will be all over you checking weight ratings and such. The state needs money!

GlastronGuy
04-24-2003, 08:06 PM
GofastRacer:
It's possible, but I've never seen a towing weight rating on a vehicle that didn't include the GVW??. It is a wise decision to look at a bigger truck though. Not only that but, you will be a lot more comfortable driving on a trip!. BTW, not meening to be nosey but, are you a trucker too??.. :cool:
BTW, don't get rid of the one you have now, just get another one!.. :D Not a trucker, I just play one on TV. wink
It would be hard to justify 2 trucks.
Mandelon:
Why would it be a CHP magnet? How many of these (recreational doubles) do you see on the road?? I've only seen a couple and I remember them cuz they really got my attention.
I imagine they will get the attention of any Highway Patrol guys out there. Especially when you're doing 35 miles per hour up the Cajon pass......I can only assume that they will be all over you checking weight ratings and such. The state needs money! The CHP and I have the same employer.
wink
Luckily, I never travel up the Cajon pass. I live in the Sacrametno valley. From Yuba City to the delta, Oroville, Camp Far West, etc would be fairly easy tows. But I am sure we would eventually extend that range and need a real tow vehicle.

little rowe boat
04-24-2003, 08:36 PM
YOU DEFINATELY NEED MORE TRUCK A HALF TON WONT CUT IT.I TOW WITH A FORD 1 TON DUALLY,IT'S THE BEST TOW VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED.

HOSS
04-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Honda Civics handle 5th wheels well as to what I`ve heard here. wink

Tom Brown
04-25-2003, 04:36 PM
The trick on the Civic thing is to remove the tires from the front wheels and have the rims vulcanized. If there still isn't enough power, it may be necessary to run on the rotors.