PDA

View Full Version : $119 to adjust a parking brake - grrr

uvindex
05-06-2003, 12:29 PM
So I bring my 2001 Suburban to the Chevy dealer today (for a different reason) and I ask them, "How much to adjust the parking brake?" After confirming that it does indeed need adjustment, the service advisor tells me that it runs about $119, because the rotor has to be removed, and the hub (I think he said) in order to get to the parking brake adjusting mechanism. I said I'd pass this time.
Sheesh. I'm not bitching about labor rates here. I am bitching about what apparently is a design that could have been more maintenance-friendly (I remember in the old days when adjusting a parking brake meant crawling under the car and turning a couple of nuts -- took about three minutes :) .)
Anybody done this adjustment themselves on 2000 or later Suburban, Tahoe, or Yukon? (Mine's 2WD, 1500, by the way.)
Thanks and happy boating,
CS

Akamatsu
05-06-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm jumping in here. Sorry, I don't have any answer for you yet, but I may know in a week or two. My Parking brake doesn't work at all on a 2000 YukonXL(4WD). I am planning on getting this working before heading to the river again.
I went to apply the Parking brake a week ago, and it seemed stuck, I pressed harder with my foot and a snap feeling came about as it went to the floor. I checked at the brake and the cable seems to be fine between the pedal and the ratcheting gear on the side. Setting the brake on a slight hill with the car in Neutral confirms that the parking brake is not working. I'll let you know the outcome. Hopefully someone else can shed more info on this.
Akamatsu

SuperWrench0166
05-06-2003, 04:18 PM
the parking brake is behind the disc rotor on 1999 and never chevy's and gmc's in order to get to it you must take off the tire the brake caliper and the caliper bracket remove the little retainers they use on the assembly line and pull the rotor off. the parking brake is just a small drum brake. if you herd something snap you have broken one of the cables probably. the little brake shoes is a one piece assembly and they get worn out fast if someone leaves the parking brake on and this doesnt take to many times to do it in. i will check but i dont really think there is much of a real adjustment its one of thoose deals if it doesnt work your probably looking at at least a set of parking brake shoes and very possibly a new set of rotors. i work for a large road construction company and i have had to do this many many times.

uvindex
05-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the posts folks.
Akamatsu, I hope your repair isn't too costly. :) Mine is simply out of adjustment (nothing snapped or broke) -- it still works the same as always, except that it will only partially hold the vehicle on a hill.
SuperWrench, thanks for the info. Two questions:
(1) Any special tools required to pull the rotor or the other parts? (2) (I'm a little embarrassed to ask this one) is there a parking brake assembly on both (that is, left and right) wheels?
Thanks again,
CS

Akamatsu
05-07-2003, 03:38 PM
CS,
There are two parking brakes, left and right.
As far as special tools, it didn't look like anything out of the ordinary is required when I went through the service manual. Specifications call for the distance between the pads and the drum to be .026 inches. GM has a special tool that basically measures the drum, and then uses the other side to measure the pads against it. The adjuster nut is #1 on this picture:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/272shoes-med.GIF
One other thing to try before going through all the effort is adjusting the lever by doing the following:
"Before you adjust the parking brake, verify that the park brake shoes are adjusted to provide a clearance of 0.026 in.
1) Verify that the self adjuster lock out pin has been removed.
2) Fully apply and release the park brake lever 3 times. "
--I am not sure where the self adjuster lock out pin is yet, but I will keep looking. Hope this helps.
Akamatsu

Akamatsu
05-30-2003, 03:00 PM
RBinLHC,
Did you ever tackle this problem? I haven't had a chance, but I checked out my cables and nothing is broken, so I will be going to the shoes next and wanted to see how yours went.
Akamatsu

SuperWrench0166
06-01-2003, 03:39 PM
sorry been so dang busy with all the bigger stuff i havent had time to get one in to really look at again. I can say one thing when you take the two bolts out of the caliper bracket make sure you use locktite when you go back together. one of the mechanics didnt luckily found out before major problems.

Froggystyle
06-01-2003, 07:26 PM
I am having the same problem in my C5 Corvette. It looks to be a very similar design for the e-brake assembly.
Very curious as to how this thread goes...

Lightning
06-01-2003, 07:58 PM
There is a TSB that Chevy has out regarding the parking brake. I have had mine "adjusted" three times under warranty. I had it adjusted for not holding at all and since this last "adjustment", it now stick occasionally. I am going to call the dealer for some other issues and will ask if they have had any other resolutions to the problem.
RatherBeInLHC,
I suggest you talk to your dealer about that price. Reference bulletin #02-05-26-0002A. The note on the service order from bringing in my truck read "inspect parking brake, grind and edge rotors, install new design retainer clips, clean and sand lining as per bull##02-05-26-0002A"
[ June 01, 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Lightning ]

H20 Party Starter
06-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Been there.......paid that
When I bought my 99 chevy w/ 40,000 miles the parking break lever went straight to the floor and didn't hold.
Yep.....I checked around and paid an independent shop 69.99 to fix (tighten/adjust) it

gettinby
06-10-2003, 11:26 AM
There are no special tools required to do the job, but be forewarned the 18mm bolts holding the caliper on are tighter than sh1t! Those parking brakes are always taking a crap. I'm a tech at a GMC dealer and I personally think that is a pretty stupid design. Like my opinion means anything anyway. If anybody needs any help on their GM/Chevy trucks, let me know. I'm in OC, I can always do sidejobs.

Benilil
11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
I have a 2002 silverado, and I just replaced breaks and rotors on all 4 wheels. After I was all finished, I noticed that the parking break needed adjustment. wow. My old rotors were factory, and they were fun to take off.
-6 point socket and a breaker bar made rusty bolts holding the caliper assembly easy to remove.
-there was a mess in the old rotors - rusty pieces everywhere. (5years old now and 85k miles)
As of now, I havn't adjusted my parking brake. I plan on taking pictures. if anyone is intrested, contact me -
Benilil (at) aol.com (subject 2002 silverado)