PDA

View Full Version : Towing with civic?

Duke
02-20-2003, 12:33 AM
I'v seen Muscle cars and oldie's pulling things and have tow hitch's on the back of their cars.
Is it possible to put one on a Honda Civic?
Lets say it had enough power to pull and stop what ever it was towing.
I'll try and get a picture of the back end of a civic like mine...
just curious

Duke
02-20-2003, 12:42 AM
http://tadpage.homestead.com/files/randompics/whitecivA.jpg
not my car, just an example of my car...

HOSS
02-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Oh hell yeah. Seen people pulling 5th wheels (gotta take out rear glass) carring cargo containers with those things. Japanese muscle. Does it get any better?
By the way, I`m sure they did have juice.

Irishluck
02-20-2003, 08:31 AM
Don't do it the gears and tranny aren't meant for towing. Also it would look really strange.

twistedpair
02-20-2003, 08:33 AM
I'm sure you would have to fab up something yourself. I would'nt pull anything bigger than a Jetski, and I'm talking a stand-up Jetski.

HavasuDreamin'
02-20-2003, 09:21 AM
HOSS:
Oh hell yeah. Seen people pulling 5th wheels (gotta take out rear glass) carring cargo containers with those things. Japanese muscle. Does it get any better?
By the way, I`m sure they did have juice. LOL :D
Duke, you will have multiple problems. The old muscle cars had frames, the rice burners are uni-body cars with no rigid frames. So to start, someone is going to have to weld the sh*t out of your car to attach a hitch to it. After that you will have torque and tranny issues. Little four bangers don't put out much torque which is what you really need. Additionally, your tranny isn't designed to pull much.
If you are located in the so cal area, there was a guy (not sure if he is still around) by the name of Bill Williams out of Long Beach who did a real nice job on my cousin's celica many moons ago. My cousin pulled a 4,300lb. boat with it from the house to the ramp. (5 min.).
I wouldn't recommend pulling anything bigger than an 18' jet boat or ski boat.
Good Luck

mbrown2
02-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Is this post a joke? If not, I would not tow anything bigger than my lawn mower with a civic...great on gas, but not a launch ramp friendly vehicle

Jordy
02-20-2003, 09:40 AM
HavasuDreamin':
I wouldn't recommend pulling anything bigger than an 18' jet boat or ski boat.
You're kidding right? That car, if even rated to tow anything, wouldn't be rated for much more than 500lbs or so. I'm not going to even touch on the inadequate power to go, the weak tranny, clutch, or the miniscule braking system that is not designed to stop any kind of weight other than that car alone. Not to mention all the laws of physics that would work against the endeavor. Throw that kind of weight on the back end of a front wheel drive car and if the front wheels touch the ground (OK I'm exagerating) the amount of traction to get around on flat ground, much less up a slippery boat ramp will be greatly diminished... get ready for a replay of the "How to launch a PWC" deal that has been posted here 50 times.
I really hope this whole thread is a joke.
EDIT: I did some searching just for my own curiousity here and found that they rate the Civic for up to 1000lbs towing (I think someone added a "0" as a joke) however Honda does not warranty the Civic for any towing whatsoever.
[ February 20, 2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

rivercrazy
02-20-2003, 09:57 AM
I used to tow a 2 rail motocross trailer with two 250's behind my old Acura Integra. It did fine but I would'nt tow anything heavier than that!

Duke
02-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Actully the engine can be replaced with a bigger better one, so i dont think geting the car adn what ever its towing moving is the problem.
I'v seen those little suckers with 13inch front roters and roters in the back, designed to get the car to stop on a dime without brake fade. I think it'd be strong enough to stop it's self.
The only problem i could see is the tranny and trying to get up the wet launch ramp.
But with the right suspension you could drop the front end and raise the back end... giving the front tire's just a little big more kick.
Lets say it had a aftermarket clutch, (someone stated it would have a weak clutch) do you think the tranny would still be the limiting factor?
btw, im just curious, kinda sucks that i dont have a truck to pull what ever boat i get...

Jordy
02-20-2003, 02:25 PM
By the time you spent all that money you'd still have a weak link of a tranny in a car that wasn't designed to do what you want and in my opinion shouldn't be on the road attempting to pull anything bigger than a single jet ski or a motocross trailer (and even that is a stretch). Save all the money you'd throw at the Fast and the Furious Mobile and get a truck that will do what you want to do without all the silly modifications. Not trying to be a dick, just looking at this realistically.

Duke
02-20-2003, 02:47 PM
thats cool.
I see what your saying, i was just curious, i was up last night thinking about it...
I just really like my car and all that honda modification stuff..
you'd be suprised how "fast" and "furious" these little economy compact's can get.
I'm guessing you'v never ridden in a fixd up rice rocket
i'v got a friend with a turbo charged honda civic like mine, he's also got an engine swap, and he's running 13's in the 1/4 mile and is racing fixed up rustangs (v8's) on the street!
just some food for thought

AntRant
02-20-2003, 02:53 PM
When i had my Eclipse i towed my Quadracer just fine...Kinda drove as if the air conditioning was on. The hitch was from U-Haul, mounted in factory holes.

Jordy
02-20-2003, 02:53 PM
I know how fast they are. The power to weight ratio is great, not to mention all the HP you can squeeze out of them. The weight, or lack there of, is one of the things working against the towing issue. Ferraris are faster than shit and have great brakes, but I wouldn't tow my boat with one. :D Sorry to be a buzzkill man.

mbrown2
02-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Duke,
Keep the Civic, you seem to like it, and I have had a trick one in the past...save some coin and buy a used Ford/Chevy/Dodge pu (late eighties/early nineties) for cheap in reasonable condition and use that for the boat....You might be able to find one for the same amount of money you would have spent on making the honda into a tow vehicle.

Catatonic
02-20-2003, 04:42 PM
I think this guy had the same idea.... http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/500/64humor_vw-thumb.jpg

HOSS
02-20-2003, 04:56 PM
After careful consultation with Pookee` (him bieng my sidekick like Tonto was to the LoneRanger, like Toto was to Dorothy, like ah well you get the pic), we have come to one outstanding "no holds barred" conscensus. That rice burner wouldn`t pull the needle out of Pookee`s big toe!
But being that I`m a guy of great intellect I`ve come up with a pulling solution for rice burners. MOUNT THE 5TH WHEEL ON THE HOOD! See this way you get the best of both world. Save gas in forward, no trouble backing down ramps, and now your front wheel drive (on the ramp) is a rear wheel drive! And wait it gets better! Your in reverse at the ramp so your drive ratio is awsome for damn near rock climbing!
Come on Pookee` where did Mike go. No Pookee`, pick up your empty methadone bottle. Next thing you know I`m paying for a litterring citation from your burnt out ass.
[ February 20, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Duke
02-20-2003, 05:01 PM
HOSS:
After careful consultation with Pookee` (him bieng my sidekick like Tonto was to the LoneRanger, like Toto was to Dorothy, like ah well you get the pic), we have come to one outstanding "no holds barred" conscensus. That rice burner wouldn`t pull the needle out of Pookee`s big toe!
But being that I`m a guy of great intellect I`ve come up with a pulling solution for rice burners. MOUNT THE 5TH WHEEL ON THE HOOD! See this way you get the best of both world. Save gas in forward, no trouble backing down ramps, and now your front wheel drive (on the ramp) is a rear wheel drive! And wait it gets better! Your in reverse at the ramp so your drive ratio is awsome for damn near rock climbing!
Come on Pookee` where did Mike go. No Pookee`, pick up your empty methadone bottle. Next thing you know I`m paying for a litterring citation from your burnt out ass. damn... must be a hick.. haha , now you and pookie run along and go pull on your needle's! haha

HOSS
02-20-2003, 05:04 PM
Now you did it. Pookee` is all "tweaked". Spell his name right. Its French notice the (`) on the end. Thats a status symbol deep deep deep in the swamp. So he claims.
Pronounciation is poo-kay! See Pookee`
[ February 20, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Duke
02-20-2003, 05:14 PM
HOSS:
Now you did it. Pookee` is all "tweaked". Spell his name right. Its French notice the (`) on the end. Thats a status symbol deep deep deep in the swamp. So he claims. the french, shit that explains everything.. :D

buck183
02-20-2003, 06:20 PM
96-00 Honda Civic 3dr Hidden Hitch Part # 60935. $129 Carry out.
There's not enough $$$ to make me use it though.
Buy truck. Better resale value and more practical.
Buck

Jrocket
02-20-2003, 10:31 PM
Ok Duke,Im gonna try to explain why not to tow something big with a small car.
Lets just say your a little skinny guy with a big huge fat girlfriend.Just making an example here!!!
Your standing at the front of the line of an all-you-can eat buffet with your big ol'lady behind you.Some jackass yells out from the kitchen that theres only a one double fudge choclate cake left for everyone in the buffet!!! You first feel alittle nudge on your back side from Birtha,then another harder nudge,mean while your putting your feet down on the ground as hard as you can!!But this ol' Hog is starting to slide your ass across the front of the buffet line.Next thing you feel is your feet going numb and here comes ol'Birtha rolling right over the top of your ass!!And all this because you thought you had some great sneekers on them feet that could stop a brod that was 4 times your weight!! :D See what I mean,get yourself some bigger feet to go in them sneekers.You cant stop an elephant with a humingbird ass!!!! :D :D
And yes,I have been drinking all day!! :D

Jordy
02-20-2003, 10:34 PM
That was ****in' funny JR... good work. :D

Duke
02-20-2003, 11:06 PM
Jrocket:
Lets just say your a little skinny guy with a big huge fat girlfriend.Just making an example here!!!
Your standing at the front of the line of an all-you-can eat buffet with your big ol'lady behind you.Some jackass yells out from the kitchen that theres only a one double fudge choclate cake left for everyone in the buffet!!! You first feel alittle nudge on your back side from Birtha,then another harder nudge,mean while your putting your feet down on the ground as hard as you can!!But this ol' Hog is starting to slide your ass across the front of the buffet line.Next thing you feel is your feet going numb and here comes ol'Birtha rolling right over the top of your ass!!And all this because you thought you had some great sneekers on them feet that could stop a brod that was 4 times your weight!! :D See what I mean,get yourself some bigger feet to go in them sneekers.You cant stop an elephant with a humingbird ass!!!! :D :D
And yes,I have been drinking all day!! :D that was pretty good, except you were talking shit about me... uhh.. it was just a questoin and my feet are big enough
duke

HOSS
02-21-2003, 10:33 AM
JRock,,, FULL PULL!
?, do sneakers and cowboy boots fall in the same catagory. Do hummingbirds frequent elephant rears? And dude, drink more often. :p
[ February 21, 2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

HotHallet
02-21-2003, 11:07 AM
Duke- No Dice! Use a truck or sport utility. I thought you bought a Tundra.

HOSS
02-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Man come on. You are tryin to ruin everything. He wants to tow with a Honda and I agree with him. Its his right. Plus I want to see just how many pieces come flying out of the transaxle case! This is gonna be cool. :D :D :D

HotHallet
02-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Sorry Hoss. It would be funny to see someone grenade a Honda like that but the whole idea is just absurd.

superV
02-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Ya its F'ing funny as hell! :D
Some people never learn frown

Mandelon
02-21-2003, 02:36 PM
I think maybe if you attached a fifth wheel hitch on the roof....................

disco_charger
02-22-2003, 10:39 AM
NOT having tried it, I know for a fact that the California Highway Patrol would ticket you in a heartbeat. I don't think they'd let you continue to tow the boat (you pay for the tow truck to come get your boat) and I don't care what mods you make it's not going to be safe. As much as you think Jrocket is making fun of you, he's 100% correct. The surface traction and weight of the tow vehicle are huge factors here.

HOSS
02-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Don`t listen Duke. You da man. Why do what everyone else does? Dare to be different. You CAN have the best of both worlds. Burn rice and have towing capacity for recreational purposes. Just follow my plan. pig_flyi

Duke
02-23-2003, 03:18 PM
HotHallet:
Duke- No Dice! Use a truck or sport utility. I thought you bought a Tundra. yea i got one of these in black
http://ca.yimg.com/i/ca/jato/v/toyota_2003_tundra_2pu-4.jpg
disco_charger:
As much as you think Jrocket is making fun of you, he's 100% correct. I know, I dont think I'd ever tow aything with the civic

Jordy
02-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Good answer. One more silly thread put to rest. :D

Hallett19
02-23-2003, 08:02 PM
I had a friend with an integra GS with a 1.8 and a 5spd and he used to tow his waverunner with it, a yamaha GP1200, they only weigh 400 lbs or so, that is like 2 big people in the back seat, and I would not worry about launch ramp stuff, the motor is over the front wheels and they will never get far enough down to get on wet cement, he never had a problem. Just make sure the tounge weight it ok and not sagging the back to bad.

Jordy
02-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Hey Aaron, this whole thread started with talk of an 18' jet boat on the back of a civic, which is a little different than pulling lake licemobiles.
Welcome back by the way. :D

Hallett19
02-23-2003, 10:06 PM
ohhh, oops, maybe I should pull my head out of my a$$, ha ?

Jordy
02-23-2003, 10:17 PM
It's ok, we'll let you slide on this one. wink

HOSS
03-12-2003, 04:39 PM
Damn, did I bring this back up?
See what studying does to your brain at midterms.

HotHallet
03-12-2003, 04:45 PM
No offense Duke but this has to be the dummest idea I think anyone has ever thought of even trying to do. Get a truck! You will thank yourself in the long run.

HOSS
03-12-2003, 05:01 PM
He`s giving great advise in the Jet forum too!

jet4fun
03-12-2003, 10:35 PM
i dont know what youre trying to pull here, but................
i used to have a '94 accord 4door with the 4banger in it... i bought a custom hitch kit from kragen's designed for my car for about 130 bucks,, it used the factory bolt holes for the rear hook locations..... i used to tow a single sea-doo xp (sit down) with it and also my honda 400ex quad with a single axle little 6x8 utility trailer.... it towed for years just fine without any problems, i even used to tow the quad all the way to coos bay oregon a couple times a year....
however, i would not recommend towing anything heavier than this because everyone is right, its really not designed to tow........

HOSS
03-13-2003, 05:18 PM
18` boats

jet4fun
03-13-2003, 10:30 PM
HotHallet:
No offense Duke but this has to be the dummest idea I think anyone has ever thought of even trying to do. Get a truck! You will thank yourself in the long run. i'm kinda confused here myself because in a post on the "what you pull with?" thread duke says that he tows with a toyota tacoma... so why the hell is he asking if he can pull his boat with his civic??????????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

HavasuDreamin'
03-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Jrocket's post was one of the most hilarious posts I have read in the year + that I have been here. :D :D :D

BIGGER=FASTER
03-14-2003, 07:10 PM
Yeah fact is those little things, not matter what you do, aren't gonna go with a good sized boat behind them. You want to hook your boat up to the civic at a show and paint the car to match the boat then ok have your way. Bottom line, it'll get the boat there(not well though), it'll blow in 6 months, and it'll slide right into the water when you're pulling it out. I'm not being a prick but fact is even if you put a V6 inside that civic it's not gonna have good enough weight balance to pull it out. I'd say stick to the truck man.

Jrocket
03-15-2003, 06:33 PM
HavasuDreamin':
Jrocket's post was one of the most hilarious posts I have read in the year + that I have been here. :D :D :D Ya know I still come back to this post and get a good laugh from it myself!!....Humor is the only way to go..... :D

blown23vee
03-15-2003, 07:33 PM
Not to stick my .02 into this already beat up
topic, but this is some seriously funny sh*t!!!
Thanks for the laughs, guys!!
:D :D :D LMAO Seriously!!

HOSS
03-16-2003, 06:35 AM
That`s why I brought it back from near death.
And to poke some fun. Balance the weight issue in Jet forum. No What I Meen? :D

79Hawaiian
05-06-2003, 09:00 PM
my coworker used to tow a 22ft sailboat (cat) with a 75 Fiat spyder. Ouch.

riverbound
05-11-2003, 04:32 PM
If you do it let me know when and where I want to watch

HOSS
05-11-2003, 06:52 PM
I just gotta read this from time to time. jrocket kicked ass on this one. :p

Cs19
05-17-2003, 07:38 PM
i wanna see him pull cahon pass or chiriaco summit.2nd gear pinned the whole way up. big muffla-voom voom. pig_flyi

Jordy
12-31-2004, 04:32 PM
And yes,I have been drinking all day!! :D
This has got to be one of the best posts ever. :D

Jrocket
12-31-2004, 07:52 PM
Ya,I kind of laugh when I read it also! :p

Duke
01-01-2005, 01:25 AM
haha... happy new year.

dmontzsta
01-01-2005, 11:33 AM
The kid we bought our boat from claimed he pulled it to the river a number of times with his gf's civic.

bchbum
01-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Just buy my F250 here in tow rigs . It'll tow your boat no problem ,after you replace a head gasket