PDA

View Full Version : Ford 6.0 Turbo Diesel

JetBoatRich
07-15-2003, 05:26 PM
I was looking at picking up an F-350 with the new 6.0 Turbo Diesel. Jordy mentioned they had issues in the past so I thought a follow topic was in order.
Do any you have one, how do you like it or what have you heard?
I have a friend that was a service manager in the past for ford and made some calls for me. He said they did have issues in the past, but they have been corrected and seem to be ok now.
Thanks for any information.

Jrocket
07-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Diesel Stop (http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/)
Flat Rate Tech (http://www.flatratetech.com/)
You can find almost any answer your looking for in one of these forums.

JetBoatRich
07-15-2003, 05:49 PM
Jrocket:
Diesel Stop (http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/)
Flat Rate Tech (http://www.flatratetech.com/)
You can find almost any answer your looking for in one of these forums. Thanks for the links, has a lot information. :D

HammerDown
07-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Yep, the diesel stop is the place for info on Ford Diesels...it keep me from buying a new 6.0! I'll be looking at them again when the new Body style comes out...and then only if that motor is a solid performer.

JetBoatRich
07-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Sounds like they have worked out some issues? The positive I keep hearing is the power of the engine.

HammerDown
07-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Some are still dropping injectors and filling the oil pan with fuel...I'll keep waiting.

JetBoatRich
07-15-2003, 07:23 PM
HammerDown:
Some are still dropping injectors and filling the oil pan with fuel...I'll keep waiting. That is not good frown

SoCalOffshore
07-15-2003, 08:00 PM
I said it before. If only Ford would offer the Duramax diesel engine, your wait would be over. :D

23'Bandit
07-15-2003, 10:29 PM
I have a 2002 7.3 powerstroke, and I couldnt be happier. If you have any interest in buying used....check out a 7.3. :)

JetBoatRich
07-16-2003, 03:33 AM
I will be going new, thanks :)

kc0000
07-16-2003, 04:05 AM
I have the 6.0L CC and have not had any isses. Last weekend we towed the Nordic 28 from OC to Havasu across the 10 and Rice Road. On the grade outside of Palm Springs, with four adults and all of our gear the truck kept 75 and 80mph up the grade without breaking a sweat, passing was not an issue,
Look at it this way, Navistar looked at the market place and incorporated every type of third party product into the design. Currently the only available after market products are exhaust systems and chip modules taking the motor to as high as 425hp.
Take it for a long test drive and do not be surprised if it shifts hard, the trans need to learn the torque of the motor.
Mine has the FX4 package and camper special, this gives you skid plates underneith the plastic fual tank, a rear sway bar that works, and motorcraft shocks with a rancho sticker on them (dump those shocks as soon as you can).
The truck is speed regulated at 100mph, there is a module to get around that and I have heard of top speeds of 138mph, just keep in mind the tires are not rated for that kind of speed.
We got a good deal on a stripped down truck, force the dealer to install aftermarket leather, placed an extra Alpine head unit in, finished the system with XM radio, 6 1/2 components, 10 inch sub - killer sound in that cab.
The diesel is way nose heavy so don't be surpised if you slip on the launch ramp, we place ours in 4 wheel high every time when pulling the boat out. Stop lights are lots of fun also, mash the go pedal and the tires light up. The power of the motor rocks.
For 04 they are changing the fuel rails, that change probably won't be in the marketplace until spring.

JetBoatRich
07-16-2003, 05:50 AM
KC, we were looking at the F350 4X4 with the off road package. We also decided on the Lariat package. It won't be until the first week of August when we drop the dime and pickup a new truck.

Jordy
07-16-2003, 06:18 AM
kc0000:
Take it for a long test drive and do not be surprised if it shifts hard, the trans need to learn the torque of the motor. Funny you should mention the tranny as I've heard they have a nasty habit of going away at around 80,000 miles. This came from a service advisor for Ford. Apparently when they redesigned the motor and bumped everything up HP wise, they didn't do anything with the tranny and now they aren't holding up, although I've had friends with the 7.3 who couldn't keep a tranny in their trucks either.
I'll just stick with my Allison and not have to worry about anything (as I work for the Allison dealer. Can you say Warranty?? :D :D :D )
As far as buying new... whatever floats your boat. I prefer to let someone else take it in the shorts for that extra $10-$15 thousand dollar hit. Good luck.

JetBoatRich
07-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Jordy, I do appreciate your input.
No final decision has been made. We will see what happens the next couple weeks and find out more on the drivetrain and/or other issues. I don't want issues down the road or on the road i should say :o
Thanks

Havasu Cig
07-16-2003, 07:31 AM
We have a new Excursion with the 6.0. The motor has been great, and will out pull both 7.3's I had easily.
We have had a problem with the air conditioning in the vehicle though that Ford refuses to fix.
It looks like we are going to have to get a lawyer involved, so I am not happy with Ford right now. I think we will go back to Chevy after this one.

kc0000
07-16-2003, 08:17 AM
Havasu Cig,
Look on dieselstop.com and search the 6.0L forum for AC...
Ford is pumping hot coolant through the radiator at all times except when at Max AC. In the morning turn it to Max AC and start it up, never turning it off of Max AC, that prevents any hot coolant from entering the exchanger. At that point you'll be able to measure the coolest it can get, most of the trucks were shipped 1/2 pound to low for the AC.
The trans on this motor is all new, it rocks. With a chip module it will chirp the tire shifting into third.

In2Deep
07-16-2003, 10:58 AM
I've got a new 6.0 Excursion as well.
2,000 miles on it so far.
Towed my Nordic 28 to Powell.....pulled great.
Very comfortable.
I did have an injector let go, which was fixed in 4 hours by Henderson Ford. No problems since. I'm not concerned.
So far, I'm incredibly impressed with the vehicle. The pull-power with the motor/tranny combo is unbelievable.
I'm willing to take my chances and count on Ford to back up it's product. I'm confused why Ford won't stand behind Cig's AC issue, though.
I2D

RacerX
07-16-2003, 11:03 AM
I have a 2001 Ford F150 Supercrew that we're very happy with except for the mileage and power on the hills of I-15 and I-40...I also waited for the 6.0 but held off when I read all the stuff on the links listed. I've been waiting over a year for them to get their act together because I really wanted a Ford. However, they are still having all sorts of problems. So many that they are changing a few things on the engine for 2004 alreay. Keep reading those posts and you'll find tons of info...
On my last oil change a few months ago, I was at my local Ford dealer and I asked him about the 6.0 - he told me they are selling them as fast as they get them in. He also said they are having problems with them and the majority of them come back for some type of repairs. He said Ford hasn't figured it out yet. He point blank told me that I'd be better off to wait for a 2005 (yes, FIVE) or find a used 7.3 - he said they had very few problems with that motor.
I can't wait for 2005 so after looking for a low mileage 7.3, I've moved over to the GM stuff. I will **NOT** drive a Chevy though so I'll only get a GM truck with the Duramax. They've had a few of their own issues but not nearly as bad or plentiful.

Havasu Cig
07-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info. The dealership was cool with us, but they can not get authorization from Ford to fix it because they can't get any codes to come up showing there is a problem.
Unless you are driving 60+ mph it will not get very cold. Driving around town in Havasu it will only drop the interior temperature about 20 degrees at most. My 7.3's worked fine.

MissHavasuCig
07-16-2003, 01:15 PM
kc0000:
Havasu Cig,
Ford is pumping hot coolant through the radiator at all times except when at Max AC. In the morning turn it to Max AC and start it up, never turning it off of Max AC, that prevents any hot coolant from entering the exchanger. At that point you'll be able to measure the coolest it can get, most of the trucks were shipped 1/2 pound to low for the AC.
The X has the electronic temperature panel ~ not the panel switch like our trucks had... so I don't have an option for Max AC. I leave the automatic temp on all the time at around 72ish and the AC gauge is always lit up. :confused:
Oh - and we had an oil leak at 3k miles that had to be fixed, but I'm at 9k miles now and the motor is running great and pulls like a champ!

BADBLOWN572
07-16-2003, 03:15 PM
I have a 2003 f-250 with the 6.0 powerstroke diesel and I absolutely love the truck! I had the GMC with the duramax before I bought the Ford. I would take the ford over the GMC any day. I have never had a problem towing large units, 11k lb enclosed trailer 75mph up the Baker grade outside of Vegas without ever kicking off of cruise. I have not had one problem with the truck so far and I have put on 12k miles since I bought it in April. I would highly recommend the Powerstroke 6.0 in a f-250 or f-350
[ July 16, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: BADBLOWN572 ]

hboldno7
07-17-2003, 10:07 AM
BADBLOWN572:
I have a 2003 f-250 with the 6.0 powerstroke diesel and I absolutely love the truck! I had the GMC with the duramax before I bought the Ford. I would take the ford over the GMC any day. I have never had a problem towing large units, 11k lb enclosed trailer 75mph up the Baker grade outside of Vegas without ever kicking off of cruise. I have not had one problem with the truck so far and I have put on 12k miles since I bought it in April. I would highly recommend the Powerstroke 6.0 in a f-250 or f-350 Ill jump on the wagon along with BadBlown572, Ive ridden along with him on several river trips and the 2003 f-250 with the 6.0 powerstroke KICKS ASS. I have as much fun rolling to the river in his truck as I do riding along on triple digit passes in his Cat, well not really. This Truck will pull anything as fast as you want and get 15 mpg doing it.

carreraelite
07-17-2003, 11:53 AM
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/powertrain/6.0powerstroke_injectors.htm
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/powertrain/6.0powerstroke_icprecall.htm

skygod73
07-17-2003, 03:30 PM
The 6.0 DOES have an all new improved tranny. I am on the Diesel Stop daily, and almost everyone loves the 6.0. Four Wheeler mag tested all 3 Diesels from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy recently. The Ford spanked them unloaded, loaded, and climbing a grade loaded at max speeds. The biggest difference was acceleration loaded flat and the speed at which they could climb the same grade loaded. Read it for yourself. I love my 7.3 PSD, a few easy mods and it hauls ass. The tranny is the weak link on the 7.3 package, but it was on my 99 Cummins Dodge also. That's the problem you get 500+ lbs of torque. The new Ford Torque-shift, and Allison should cure this.

buck183
07-17-2003, 08:16 PM
jordanpaulk:
kc0000:
Take it for a long test drive and do not be surprised if it shifts hard, the trans need to learn the torque of the motor. Funny you should mention the tranny as I've heard they have a nasty habit of going away at around 80,000 miles. This came from a service advisor for Ford. Apparently when they redesigned the motor and bumped everything up HP wise, they didn't do anything with the tranny and now they aren't holding up, although I've had friends with the 7.3 who couldn't keep a tranny in their trucks either.
I'll just stick with my Allison and not have to worry about anything (as I work for the Allison dealer. Can you say Warranty?? :D :D :D )
As far as buying new... whatever floats your boat. I prefer to let someone else take it in the shorts for that extra $10-$15 thousand dollar hit. Good luck. jordonpaulk,
I'm as much a GM fan as the next guy. But there's a hole in what you posted. You say that Ford put the extra time and $ into the new 6.0 and didn't do anything to the tranny to offset the extra horsepower. Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't Ford using a whole different tranny too? Hence the five speed auto? Did they use the same transmission and just add a gear to it without telling everyone?
I might add that Ford just released some new programs to improve some of the problems they have had with the 6.0. I beleive they came out 2-3 days ago. Might check your local dealer on this. I have had several customers take advantage of this already.
Buck
[ July 17, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: buck183 ]

Jordy
07-18-2003, 07:43 AM
buck183:
You say that Ford put the extra time and $ into the new 6.0 and didn't do anything to the tranny to offset the extra horsepower. Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't Ford using a whole different tranny too? Hence the five speed auto? Did they use the same transmission and just add a gear to it without telling everyone?By saying that they didn't do anything to offset the increase in horsepower I merely meant that the tranny is still the weak link in the equation, much like it appeared to have been with the 7.3 Powerstroke. Diesels and the low rpm torque curve are especially hard on transmisions, coupled with the amount of weight that they are typically hooked up to, the trannys just don't last. Hell, my tranny guy that rebuilt the 4L80E in my '94 Chevy with the lowly 6.5 was shocked as hell that the original tranny went 202,000. He said he had never seen anything like that.
I'm not posting this as a GM fan, or I'd merely offer up something like "Ford's new 6.0 litre sucks" but rather just pointing out some issues that need to be addressed before I'd go spend the $40,000+ to get into one. When I have that kind of money into something, I'd rather spend time behind the wheel of it than sitting by the phone waiting for the dealer to tell me it's fixed, which seems to be the case with several people I know who bought them.

STV_Keith
07-18-2003, 08:36 AM
The new 5-speed seems to be performing great behind the (not so reliable) 6.0l at this time. We shall see what it does with the extra 100hp we can give it now. :)