PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Trailers...Bad Wiring???

NOCTURNAL
06-18-2003, 02:14 PM
I have an Extreme Trailer for our boat and I have a problem with the electric surge brake located on the tongue. When I back up the boat, the brakes lock up and I can not move. The only way to back up is to stick a bolt head into the slot and prevent the brakes from engaging.
I have tried to call Extreme and all I get is the VM with no reply thus far. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what is causing this? (a short, relay, etc)
It happened on two different vehicles and I checked all of my fuses (no problems there) :mad:

Trailer Park Casanova
06-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Their's a little tab you push that will re set the brakes located underneath just where the ball latch is.
On the left side of the hitch, a red arrow points to this brake release dohickey, with instructions.
Also, you need a 5 point elect plug, and it has to be connected so it will allow you to back up by not allowing the brakes to work in reverse.

Outnumbered
06-20-2003, 01:17 AM
Call 909-682-5522 and ask for Tony in service. He has worked on my trailer and I have nothing but good things to say about the service and attitude. Tony is a cool guy and should be able to help you out.
OL

Outnumbered
06-20-2003, 01:18 AM
Call 909-682-5522 and ask for Tony in service. He has worked on my trailer and I have nothing but good things to say about the service and attitude. Tony is a cool guy and should be able to help you out.
OL
Damn double post got me :mad:
[ June 20, 2003, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Old Lavey ]

NOCTURNAL
06-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. I finally got ahold of Tony and he pointed me in the right direction. Next time I am out in Havasu I will check the solenoid and the wiring. I hope it works. It sucked last time when I pulled straight out into the street to put the boat in the garage and then the brakes locked up and I blocked the road for a few minutes.

Mandelon
06-22-2003, 06:49 PM
If all else fails, read the directions....
the 5th pin on the trailer lighting connector is supposed to disable the brakes, no? Is your plug in working properly?

dcb carrera
06-29-2003, 06:59 PM
I have an extreme trailer I had the same problem this weekend I had a friend towing my boat. I ended up going to home depot buying a 1/4'' drill bit and a 1/4'' bolt drilling a hole thru the hitch and sticking the bolt in so the hitch wouldn't retract it worked great. This was after messing with it for about an hour or so in 113 degree heat :mad: