PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP! Buying first boat.

BaylinerCapri5.0
08-08-2001, 01:44 PM
Hey everyone...
I know you're all probably going to laugh at me but could you let me know if this boat i'm buying is a good deal...
Oh, BTW, My name is Adam, I'm 23 & poor!
The Boat:
1987 Bayliner Capri 5.0L 16 foot Bow Rider.
Its got a Chevy 305ci (5.0L) V8 inboard.
Comes with a galvanized trailer.
Runs well...only a couple problems:
(1) the pump that brings up the propeller fell off the mount (wood is a little rotted out) so it has to be mounted again. (looks like an easy fix)
(2) the upholstery is cracking (not TOO bad)
Some positives about the boat:
(1) The price...only $950 w/ trailer.
(2) I checked as much of the boat as possible and the floor is very solid, it seems the only spot w/ rot was where the pump was mounted in the rear. But I think that will be easily replaced.
Now for the questions:
(1) does this seem like a good deal?
(2) is there anything else i should check for?
(3) i was told by one person that Bayliner makes crappy boats...is this true?
Please remember i'm poor...
I just wanna cruise the bay...not go on rough seas or race the thing or anything.
INPUT PLEASE!
Thanks In Advance.

Speedy
08-09-2001, 04:26 AM
BaylinerCapri5.0,
In my humble opinion, I would never buy a Bayliner. I've been boating most of my life and have seen too many problems with them - hull cracking, interior falling apart, stringers rotting, engine mounts breaking, etc. I understand you don't want to spend a lot of $$, but if I were you I would save some money for another year or two and then buy something with better quality. You may only spend $950 now but with how old that boat is and the problems it is already having, that is just the beginning of your expenses on that boat. You can find some pretty decent used open bow boats that are 5-10 years old for only a few grand $$. Look for sea ray, or starcraft, or something along that lines, just not bayliner.

25 Outlaw 502
08-09-2001, 05:55 AM
Bayliners back then really are pretty crappy. 950 bucks seems like a good price for anything that runs. By the way take it for a ride before buying and get a compression check done on the motor. This check only takes about an hour and you could probably find someone to do it for about 75 bucks. If it is suspect unless you know how to rebuild a motor and have the facilities to get it out of the boat don't buy it. If the guy wants to get rid of it offer him like 600 bucks fix the little problems buff the hull and make it look pretty then try to sell it for a grand or more before it falls apart. Then you made a little green and are closer to being able to by that searay. Good luck on your first boat. Buy the way do you know what B.O.A.T. stands for???
-B.reak O.ut A.nother T.housand!!!!!!!!!!!

twistedpair
08-09-2001, 06:56 AM
Any rot is bad rot. If that pump is near the transom, run away from this one.

Da Bus
08-11-2001, 10:17 AM
Sounds like a cheap way to get out on the bay, but be prepared to write off any money spent on that boat a loss.

Reckless288
08-29-2001, 11:50 AM
See your nearest Sunsation dealer and ask about the 25 footer. I think you'll like the boat and the price...

Travis
08-29-2001, 02:31 PM
Save you money and buy a boat bigger than you think you want. Trust me you will grow into it.