PDA

View Full Version : 2001 F250- WHAT A PILE

ZSARGO
07-20-2003, 02:01 PM
BACK IN JANUARY I PURCHASED A 2001 LARIAT F 25O SHORT BED SUPERDUTY. IT HAS A V10, 2 INCH LIFT WITH 34 INCH TIRES. IT RIDES FINE IN THE DESERT AREA (PALM SPRINGS) BUT AS SOON AS I HEAD UP TOWARDS BANNNING, LA, ORANGE COUNTY OR POMONA IT ALMOST SHAKES THE FILLINGS OUT OF MY TEETH. I JUST PUT A PAIR OF DEUTSCHE TECH SHOCKS ON THE TRUCK AND IT DID HELP A LITTLE. DID THE FORD ENGINEERS TAKE A RIDE IN THIS HEAP BEFORE THEY PUT THE TRUCK ON THE ASSEMBLY LINE? I KNOW IT CAN TOW A HOUSE, BUT MOST OF US SPEND ABOUT 80% OF THE TIME WITH NOTHING BEHIND THE VEHICLE. I GUESS THE ONE THING GOOD ABOUT THE TRUCK IS THE GREAT GAS MILEAGE. NOT. I THINK I WILL GO BACK TO A DODGE WITH A HEMI. A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A NEW 2002 4X4 DODGE AND IT RIDES LIKE AND CADDY, NOT TO MENTION IT WOULD OUT CORNER, OUT ACCELERATE AND IS A 100 TIMES QUITER INSIDE. BY THE WAY THE FORD IS FOR SALE $26,900. IT'S A GREAT TRUCK :)
[ July 25, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

jlnorthrup122
07-20-2003, 04:45 PM
I've been pondering on picking up a ford f-250 superduty club cab this comming winter! I have a mopar rite now and there good trucks but I think I want a ford now!

TOBTEK
07-20-2003, 05:15 PM
where have you been les(skip :D )? havent seen you around for awhile. I wanted to get a new 6L ford diesel(I hear they are incredible), but they ride like a tank. I had a 2001 F250 crew also with a V10...whata pig!
BTW: talked with the guy you sold your DCB to the other day at the launch ramp..he is lovin the boat.

Jrocket
07-20-2003, 05:31 PM
ZSARGO:
BACK IN JANUARY I PURCHASED A 2001 LARIAT F 25O SHORT BED SUPERDUTY. IT HAS A V10, 2 INCH LIFT WITH 34 INCH TIRES. IT RIDES FINE IN THE DESERT AREA (PALM SPRINGS) BUT AS SOON AS I HEAD UP TOWARDS BANNNING, LA, ORANGE COUNTY OR POMONA IT ALMOST SHAKES THE FILLINGS OUT OF MY TEETH. I JUST PUT A PAIR OF DEUTSCHE TECH SHOCKS ON THE TRUCK AND IT DID HELP A LITTLE. DID THE FORD ENGINEERS TAKE A RIDE IN THIS HEAP BEFORE THEY PUT THE TRUCK ON THE ASSEMBLY LINE? I KNOW IT CAN TOW A HOUSE, BUT MOST OF US SPEND ABOUT 80% OF THE TIME WITH NOTHING BEHIND THE VEHICLE. I GUESS THE ONE THING GOOD ABOUT THE TRUCK IS THE GREAT GAS MILEAGE. NOT. I THINK I WILL GO BACK TO A DODGE WITH A HEMI. A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A NEW 2002 4X4 DODGE AND IT HIDES LIKE AND CADDY, NOT TO MENTION IT WOULD OUT CORNER, OUT ACCELERATE AND IS A 100 TIMES QUITER INSIDE. BY THE WAY THE FORD IS FOR SALE $26,900. IT'S A GREAT TRUCK :) The heading says "What a pile" but the last line is "Its a great truck"? Are you a used car salesman or what? LOL :D
What happened to "It rides better than stock"? :D

DesertDog
07-20-2003, 06:10 PM
I've got the same truck but with a 4" Pro Comp lift and it rides awsome.Sounds like you need your tires balanced.

ZSARGO
07-20-2003, 06:14 PM
DesertDog:
I've got the same truck but with a 4" Pro Comp lift and it rides awsome.Sounds like you need your tires balanced. MINE HAS THE TWO INCH PRO COMP LIFT. YOUR RIGHT. IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS THEY DO RIDE A LITTLE BETTER. SOON AS YOU GET ON CEMENT, HOLD ON TO YOUR BRITCHES. 405 NEAR IRVINE. HOLLY MOLLY. I THINK THEY USED TO PUT LEAF SPRINGS ON HORSE CARRIAGES.

FastTimmy
07-20-2003, 06:16 PM
Hey ZSARGO,
Check these guys out. I can testify to the fact there shit rides better than stock.
www.donahoeracing.com (http://www.donahoeracing.com)
There are getting a new site built so link out to some of there disributers.
Timmy
Oh yah
I got my new 6.0 july 3rd and went straight to Havasu with it. Very first tank of gas I got 16.3 MPG that smoked the 7.2 MPG in my 97 super duty W/460.
It hasn't broke down yet either.

79EliminatorDC
07-20-2003, 10:15 PM
[ July 20, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: 79EliminatorDC ]

79EliminatorDC
07-20-2003, 10:17 PM
For those of you looking for a 6.0 Powerstroke check this site out web page (http://www.thedieselstop.com) you can learn alot about the new powerstroke. I have a 03 6.0 Excursion Ltd best diesel on the road.

Goodtime$
07-21-2003, 08:37 AM
i have been debating for a while about getting a diesel, i dont really need a big truck to tow because my boat is only 21feet and it sits at the river, drive is just to blythe from san diego, is it really worth it to get the diesel over a gas f150? the 4 doors of the superduty is nice, what kind of mileage advantages are there over the gas f150? towing, not towing, city etc parking?..thanks a bunch for the help

RacerX
07-21-2003, 09:24 AM
If you're a Ford fan, make sure you're prepared for a shock if you go to that website link. That board if filled with people who are having nothing but problems with the new 6.0L diesel.
I've always had Ford's and wanted the new 6.0 but wanted to wait and I'm glad I did. I talked to the service guy at my local dealer and he point blank told me that "every one they sell comes back in for something". I'm sure he didn't mean EVERY one, but you get the idea. He said the older 7.3 was bullet proof and much more reliable...so far.
Take the time to read those boards and do a lil research. Based on what I've read (and I'm on that board daily), you want to at least wait for the 2004 models later in the year. they are still putting leftover 2003 engines in the current 2004's being built.

RacerX
07-21-2003, 09:24 AM
If you're a Ford fan, make sure you're prepared for a shock if you go to that website link. That board if filled with people who are having nothing but problems with the new 6.0L diesel.
I've always had Ford's and wanted the new 6.0 but wanted to wait and I'm glad I did. I talked to the service guy at my local dealer and he point blank told me that "every one they sell comes back in for something". I'm sure he didn't mean EVERY one, but you get the idea. He said the older 7.3 was bullet proof and much more reliable...so far.
Take the time to read those boards and do a lil research. Based on what I've read (and I'm on that board daily), you want to at least wait for the 2004 models later in the year. they are still putting leftover 2003 engines in the current 2004's being built.

Super D
07-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Hey Szargo,
All ya gotta do is put about 700lbs in your pickup and it will ride like a dream!
I know what you mean - I had the F150 and the concrete sections of the 5/405 shake your fillings loose!

MissHavasuCig
07-21-2003, 11:51 AM
79EliminatorDC:
For those of you looking for a 6.0 Powerstroke check this site out web page (http://www.thedieselstop.com) you can learn alot about the new powerstroke. I have a 03 6.0 Excursion Ltd best diesel on the road. You must've gotten a good one then.... I've got the same exact truck and at 3k miles I had oil leaking, and now at 9k miles I've got a bad turbo that's only letting me have 2-3 pounds of boost (instead of the usual twenty-somthing pounds!). eek!
When everything is OK the truck tows like nothing else!!! :cool:

ZSARGO
07-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Super D:
Hey Szargo,
All ya gotta do is put about 700lbs in your pickup and it will ride like a dream!
I know what you mean - I had the F150 and the concrete sections of the 5/405 shake your fillings loose! OTHERS HAVE SUGGESTED THE SAME THING. TIME TO GET A NUTRITIONALLY ENHANCED GIRLFRIEND. GOT TO ASK THE WIFE FIRST.

UBFJ #454
07-22-2003, 05:56 AM
ZSARGO -
Have heard of your problem before. Turned out that problem was weight distribution in the stock wheels. If not too bad can balance the wheels w/o tires on, then put tires on and rebalance.

ZSARGO
07-25-2003, 02:43 PM
BEAR_454PE:
ZSARGO -
Have heard of your problem before. Turned out that problem was weight distribution in the stock wheels. If not too bad can balance the wheels w/o tires on, then put tires on and rebalance. I TRIED ALL THAT. STILL RIDES LIKE POOP.

Jrocket
07-25-2003, 05:42 PM
ZSARGO:
BEAR_454PE:
ZSARGO -
Have heard of your problem before. Turned out that problem was weight distribution in the stock wheels. If not too bad can balance the wheels w/o tires on, then put tires on and rebalance. I TRIED ALL THAT. STILL RIDES LIKE POOP. Did you change something that would make it ride like poop? You said it rode better than stock earlier.What happened?

FASTERDAMITT
07-25-2003, 06:57 PM
ZJ JEEP! :D

Waldo
07-28-2003, 08:48 AM
That section of the 405/5 interchange area is the worst. I have an a-arm lift (about 2 inches) with stiffer springs on my 97 F-150 and it would literally give my 2 y/o daughter whiplash! Just picked up a new Expedition and it is a lot nicer with the stock set up. However, that section of the fwy still sucks.
It is really that section of the road and/or the different springs (if they put new ones on for the lift).

ZSARGO
07-28-2003, 03:06 PM
FASTERDAMITT:
ZJ JEEP! :D WEREN'T YOU UNDER THE JEEP THE OTHER NIGHT WELDING SOMETHING, WHILE I WAS AT THE BEER HUNTER ENJOYING SOME COLDIES WITH MY F250 PARKED OUTSIDE. I RECALL SOMETHING LIKE THAT. BUTTER NIPS. P.S. I HATE MY TRUCK.
[ July 28, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

buck183
07-28-2003, 07:23 PM
We have to remember that we are dealing with a truck that is sprung with leaf springs. Unlike it's competition that is using IFS. The SuperDuty will ride rougher due to it's design.
You want a Cadillac like ride, buy a GM. You want a ride like a dump truck, buy a Ford. Nothing wrong with either one. Just preference.
Buy the way, I'm getting ready to opt for the F250.
Buck

XTRM22
07-29-2003, 05:24 AM
I gotta jump in here with my .02. I have a 2001 F350 V-10 crew cab 4x4, and it is the best pickup truck I've owned. I have 50,000 miles on it with no problems. I'll be the first to admit it's a little rough riding, much more then my lifted GMC was. The primary reason I bought this truck was to tow the boat, but I also use it to haul sand and rock to my house, haul quads to the desert, and tow a box trailer full of tools, I don't have the luxury of more then one vehicle for all these things, so I bought the one ton and learned to live with ride. I can't speak for Charley, but I know he tows his 29' Mach with a truck just like mine only lifted and I've never heard him complain either. After rebuilding the front end of my GMC twice in 117,000 miles I'll never own another independant front suspention 4x4, they don't last if you actually use them.
Chuck