PDA

View Full Version : How fast do you go with a boat in tow?

mtndewdrops
04-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Please be honest and do fess up...we might be surprized at the outcome.
While coming home on Rice Road a guy pulling a cigarette boat wizzed by me and I was doing 75mph without a trailer. Too Scary

77charger
05-01-2003, 03:57 PM
as fast as i can go up to about 75 but mainly 65-70 if it is safe to do so.

buck183
05-01-2003, 05:36 PM
It's not uncommon for me to run 80+. Pulling 26' Scarab.
Buck

Havasu Cig
05-02-2003, 02:51 PM
What did this "Cigarette boat" look like?
I know it was not me because I was not towing that day, but there are only a few Cigs that would be out that way.
BTW: I was pulling our Cig over 80 for a short time last week trying to catch a prick who tried to make us crash on the 215. He merged onto the freeway and I was nice and braked to let him in. He gets in front of me and brakes hard for no reason, and then starts laughing. He continues to cruise at about 45 and when I start to pass he cuts in front of me and floors it. He was a puunk ass kid with several piercings. looked about 17 years old.
I think he was suprised when I was keeping up with him. He looked very scarred and swerved off of the first offramp. We are both lucky I did not catch him. I should have run him and his pos Mitsubishi Gallant over.
Anyways, we usually tow about 70mph :D :D

Duck
05-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Getting pulled over before Rice road on I-10 at 75mph cured me. I was happy he only wrote me for 65. I'll now go no faster than 62 in CA. Duck

mtndewdrops
05-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Havasu Cig:
What did this "Cigarette boat" look like?
I know it was not me because I was not towing that day, but there are only a few Cigs that would be out that way.
BTW: I was pulling our Cig over 80 for a short time last week trying to catch a prick who tried to make us crash on the 215. He merged onto the freeway and I was nice and braked to let him in. He gets in front of me and brakes hard for no reason, and then starts laughing. He continues to cruise at about 45 and when I start to pass he cuts in front of me and floors it. He was a puunk ass kid with several piercings. looked about 17 years old.
I think he was suprised when I was keeping up with him. He looked very scarred and swerved off of the first offramp. We are both lucky I did not catch him. I should have run him and his pos Mitsubishi Gallant over.
Anyways, we usually tow about 70mph :D :D The boat looked to be around 37 foot long, triple motors, I can't recall the color scheme. I saw it mostly from behind.

WETDAWG
05-03-2003, 06:40 PM
I cruise the 40 at about 75mph only at night. The truckers hate it and i have been boxed in by them several times :mad:
Sometime those guys can be such jerks burningm

HotHallet
05-05-2003, 12:20 PM
I usually run no more than 75. The trailer starts to sway after 75. Most often 65-70. I like getting to the river safely and if that means taking a little longer so be it!

HighRoller
05-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Just a reminder from your friendly neighborhood much hated scumbag truckdriver....While towing any kind of trailer in California the speed limit is 55MPH!!!!I'm not harping,just trying to save you guys some grief.And WetDawg,it might have been me who boxed you in just to look at your boat.Damn thing looks a lot like the boat I used to have.Hey wait a sec......IT IS DAMMIT!!!!Remember,truckers are people too until you act like an ass around us.Then we're dicks!

WETDAWG
05-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Sorry High Roller :D :D :D
I was just being a 4 wheeler no wait.............................................. that's an 8 wheeeler (hahahahahaha) devil

mtndewdrops
05-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Thanks for voting! wink I am surprised with the results so far. eek!
For those who like to tow really fast...Do you have "H" Rated tires on that trailer? :p
Food For Thought
Please Drive Carefully, OUR Lives Depend On IT...

SchellSchock
05-08-2003, 02:59 PM
You might be a Redneck if......
You get a speeding ticket towing your boat
or...
If Your Tow Vehicle, Boat, and Trailer are involved in a Police Chase.

Jet Boy
05-13-2003, 12:24 PM
At least 70 on the interstate. 22ft Stingray behind my Suburban :D
[ May 13, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Jet Boy ]

spectras only
05-13-2003, 01:55 PM
no more than the limit for trailers = 55 mph , otherwise the boat would take over the chore of wagging eek! going round the bends :D

Free Agent
05-13-2003, 03:10 PM
Heading into Parker, where the 177 meets the 62, just pass the jct., you may catch outta the side of your eye a small memorial with flowers to CHP Ofc. Muchhausen.
He was head on'd at that spot a few years back by a baldy gang banger doing a illegal blind pass.
Sometime before his death,, he stopped me for towing at 75 MPH.
His remark to me:
"Well, you're not combative like most people I stop, you don't have an open container in your truck like most people I stop, aren't drunk like most people I stop", and then let me go no ticket saying; " We let the boat towers along this section run 65 before we write them".
"Loose Your Head And Your Ass Will Soon Follow"
OR:
"Those Who Say Money Can't Buy Happiness, Have Never had Either One".
[ May 13, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Free Agent ]

jlnorthrup122
05-13-2003, 05:10 PM
I'm Insured so I like to see the powerslide motion Nor really SpeedLimite If I'm Going Down Hill other wise not by choise slower God*(/n Nopars. :mad:

HighRoller
05-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Comment#1:The speed rating of your tires is indeed important.Most people don't realize they are exceeding the speed rating of their tires with dire consequences.
Comment#2:You may be a redneck if you get stopped for speeding while towing your boat.You ARE a redneck if the cop tells you to circle around and pick up the skier you lost two blocks ago!!!!

HighRoller
05-15-2003, 08:34 PM
And as far as the CHP officer,my condolences go out to him and his family.I hear a lot of hate going out towards these guys,but remember.They're just doing a job like the rest of us.I try to show these guys as much respect as possible whenever possible.And as far as getting pulled over,let me give you some advice from someone who makes a living on the road.When they ask you the first question,whatever it may be,tell the truth.If you were speeding,admit it.All the officers I've talked to say that's your one and only chance to get a warning.If you lie,or make a lame excuse,you get written.Nuff said.

Irishluck
05-15-2003, 08:37 PM
buck183:
Buck God Damn look out for you on the road. What kind of tow vehicle are you using?

Free Agent
05-16-2003, 06:46 PM
HighRoller:
And as far as the CHP officer,my condolences go out to him and his family.I hear a lot of hate going out towards these guys,but remember.They're just doing a job like the rest of us.I try to show these guys as much respect as possible whenever possible.And as far as getting pulled over,let me give you some advice from someone who makes a living on the road.When they ask you the first question,whatever it may be,tell the truth.If you were speeding,admit it.All the officers I've talked to say that's your one and only chance to get a warning.If you lie,or make a lame excuse,you get written.Nuff said. I agree.
I know or have met a fair portion of the posters on this board and can say most of us earn more money in a couple days than these guys make in a month.
And for that,, they write tickets,, and usually have to argue with most people they come in contact with, sometimes escalateing to dental work and stitches.
Not a pleasant job in my book, and they can only dream of haveing the rides and toys of those of us they stop.
- The Turbo Family
(yea, that's our real name)
"Ya Ain't Drunk if You Can Lay On The Floor Without Hanging On" -Free Agent

buck183
05-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Irishluck:
buck183:
Buck God Damn look out for you on the road. What kind of tow vehicle are you using? It's a 3/4 Crew Cab Chevy HD.
I might ad that this is only on the interstate when traffic permits. Get me on a two lane and you'll probably be cussing me and looking for the first opportunity to pass.
Buck

wsuwrhr
05-18-2003, 08:06 AM
Free Agent
I know or have met a fair portion of the posters on this board and can say most of us earn more money in a couple days than these guys make in a month.
And for that,, they write tickets,, and usually have to argue with most people they come in contact with, sometimes escalateing to dental work and stitches.
Not a pleasant job in my book, and they can only dream of haveing the rides and toys of those of us they stop.
- The Turbo Family
(yea, that's our real name)
"Ya Ain't Drunk if You Can Lay On The Floor Without Hanging On" -Free Agent [/QB]What do YOU do for a living to make 2000 in a couple of days? At last I heard a beat cop make 30-40 a year.

Cole 383
05-18-2003, 08:46 AM
We have pulled all over the country for the last 15 years. Lots of long trips and speeding may have looked good to shorten the trip. But we stay close to the posted speed.
When we get to a race I don't mind getting in the fiberglass rocket and taking a chance of getting hurt or killed. But I don't want to do the same to some other person on the highway going or coming. You speeders should keep that in mind. Those big riggs can do lots for damage when they get out of hand.
Later 383

BP1330
05-18-2003, 08:54 AM
The average startiing pay for a copper in CA is now about 45K. But over-time is where you make your money! Esp when people try to fight us on tickets. Damn I hate that. You mean I have to go to court and get paid 4 hours of time and half? Poor me. And I will totally agree with HighRoller. Being honest is about the only way to get out of a ticket. And remember, when you are arguing with a cop we are just going to keep writing, now your speeding ticket just turned itno a speeding ticket plus, following to closely, failing to properly signal, no mud flaps, tinted windows, ect.

NashvilleBound
05-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Its all about the power for the kops. Most are on a big old power trip. On the flip side there are alot of A-holes on the road speeding recklessly, drinking and such. Gotta watch out for both of them....

Ziggy
05-20-2003, 06:55 PM
NashvilleBound:
Its all about the power for the kops. Most are on a big old power trip. On the flip side there are alot of A-holes on the road speeding recklessly, drinking and such. Gotta watch out for both of them.... Many peoples actions have caused the police to be more abrasive.(you got caught, just fess up!) How'd you like it if the person you have to talk to always bashes and BS's you as if you haven't a clue?? As stated above, common courtesy to another person(cop or otherwise) will get you better treatment. It works, it really does. Try it.
Just like truckers are just doing their job, you should be thanking them for providing reliable products that we buy every day....just ask 'em not to drag race each other up the grades for 30 miles and 25mph. :D

Free Agent
05-20-2003, 08:14 PM
By the way,,, the huge, historic, everyone-has-a-story-dip-in-the-highway in Desert Center has been smoothed out a bit.
Still there,, beware,, but not as bad as in decades past.
-The Turbos
"I'm as Confused as a Baby at a Topless Bar"

stonehedge
05-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Had a quick question about towing. I have a big toy box and run dual sway control and weight dist. bars. My boat is kinda small and not crazy heavy, but if I were to run one sway control bar would that be OK. It doesn't sway much, but when its windy or I'm being lapped by a trucker going 100, or I'm going 56ish,(yea right) would it help? I love them on my toy box, but thats like a f-n brick. I don't see many boats running them, but I have them and my hitch is set up, its just a matter of adding a small mount on the trailer and its done. Just wondering, all this talk about towing and speeding, etc.

Caribbean Jet
05-21-2003, 12:01 PM
I would drive slower, but so many people come racing up from behind. I know that faster speeds are not as safe, but the so are the slower speeds sometimes.

Free Agent
05-21-2003, 03:06 PM
One sway control bar is fine,, in fact common.
Also, tire pressure, usually just a pound or two can make a huge difference in trailer control.
If you run 45 psi, consider 43 or 42 and you may feel a big improvement in control.
Works for me.

NashvilleBound
05-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Ziggy:
NashvilleBound:
Its all about the power for the kops. Most are on a big old power trip. On the flip side there are alot of A-holes on the road speeding recklessly, drinking and such. Gotta watch out for both of them.... Many peoples actions have caused the police to be more abrasive.(you got caught, just fess up!) How'd you like it if the person you have to talk to always bashes and BS's you as if you haven't a clue?? As stated above, common courtesy to another person(cop or otherwise) will get you better treatment. It works, it really does. Try it.
Just like truckers are just doing their job, you should be thanking them for providing reliable products that we buy every day....just ask 'em not to drag race each other up the grades for 30 miles and 25mph. :D Ziggy: Are you one of "Them"? I have several friends that are in law inforcement...believe it or not. I respect all of them because they are very professional in their duties. I am a ver courtious driver. I brake for people, flash lights, I even carry an extra spare tire for my fellow boaters. As well when we go on trips we use our CB along with the local truckers, who are always a kick to talk to and pass time, we all work together to make driving the roads a much safer experience.
just my two cents...

Havasu Cig
05-22-2003, 07:56 AM
My neighbor is a CHP Officer and he does pretty well. Lives in a 600k house, and has plenty of toys. I think base for him is about 65k. But the OT is where it is at. Most cops I know are making over 100k a year ( the ones in So. Cal).
They just had a story on a local news channel here in San Diego where they were talking about pay for county employees. The had a list of the top paid people, and most were deputy Sheriff's. A lot of guys on the list making in the 130k range with the OT.
[ May 22, 2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Cig ]

Havasu_Dreamin
05-22-2003, 12:37 PM
[b]
Originally posted by Free Agent:
I know or have met a fair portion of the posters on this board and can say most of us earn more money in a couple days than these guys make in a month.We obviously have not met and I am in the wrong damn job!

Ziggy
05-22-2003, 01:15 PM
NashvilleBound:
Ziggy:
NashvilleBound:
Just like truckers are just doing their job, you should be thanking them for providing reliable products that we buy every day....just ask 'em not to drag race each other up the grades for 30 miles and 25mph. :D Ziggy: Are you one of "Them"? I have several friends that are in law inforcement...believe it or not. I respect all of them because they are very professional in their duties. I am a ver courtious driver. I brake for people, flash lights, I even carry an extra spare tire for my fellow boaters. As well when we go on trips we use our CB along with the local truckers, who are always a kick to talk to and pass time, we all work together to make driving the roads a much safer experience.
just my two cents... Nash,
Nope, not one of "them" but have a few aquaintences that are "them". :D They've taught me a few manners if pulled over and so far got out of the last few. I'm a car dealer so I do have a lot of road hours on my rear.
True dat, if everyone just was courteous instead of raging on the road it would be way safer for all on it.
Hope to meet more boaters on the lake this year, you doing OP6? Maybe see ya there.
Z

NashvilleBound
05-23-2003, 05:13 AM
Cant make the OP6 but going up to Nacimiento on the 7 or 8. Not much into Havasu.
[ May 23, 2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: NashvilleBound ]

Kilrtoy
05-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Ofc. Daniel J. Muehlhausen
CHP - Indio
For the second time in three weeks, officers from the Indio station of the California Highway Patrol buried one of their own. More than 1,000 mourners, including the family of officer Saul Martinez, who died May 15 after being struck by a car near Desert Hot Springs, filled St. Catherine's Catholic Church to honor the memory of officer Daniel James Muehlhausen.
Muehlhausen, 30, was killed Sunday, June 1, in a head-on collision when a pickup truck driven by an Oceanside man crossed the double-yellow line on a narrow stretch of Highway 62 north of Desert Center.
Muehlhausen died about 11 a.m. as he was responding to assist a motorist whose car had become disabled. According to the CA Highway Patrol, a Toyota truck crossed over the double-yellow line and slammed into his cruiser, causing both vehicles to burst into flames. The driver of the pickup, 20-year-old Seth Harris of Oceanside, and his passenger, 17-year-old Larry Kern Jr. of Carlsbad, were also killed.
CHP accident investigators said the truck was one of four vehicles traveling home to the Oceanside area after spending a weekend at a mini-truck show on the California side of Lake Havasu. Investigators are attempting to determine whether the Toyota's hydraulics and excessive speed contributed to the fire that burned all three bodies beyond recognition.
A brief piece of the story mentioned above

Kilrtoy
05-23-2003, 09:07 PM
It was almost 6 years to the day he was killed....

NashvilleBound
05-24-2003, 05:48 AM
When anyone dies like that its unfortunate! Regardless....

Jungle Boy
05-25-2003, 02:57 AM
Towed from the middle of Alberta to the middle of Mexico at 93 MPH with 2 other truck/boats. No problems. Check bearings and air pressure. We put on 16000 KM in 18 days and nobody had a lick of trouble with trailers or cops.

Jrocket
05-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Havasu Cig:
The had a list of the top paid people, and most were deputy Sheriff's. A lot of guys on the list making in the 130k range with the OT. Well looks like somebody I know should be getting a F-34 soon then... :D

Badboat1
05-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Last year I was pass in the tow truck and I did see 98 at times on the GPS on the way back from LOTTO.Damn them okies need to fix those roads.
BB1

Infomaniac
05-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Badboat1:
Last year I was pass in the tow truck and I did see 98 at times on the GPS on the way back from LOTTO.Damn them okies need to fix those roads. BB1 Hey now !! Should not be in such a hurry to get back to Texas.
Probably saved that reading to brag about the boat?

Kilrtoy
05-27-2003, 07:44 PM
They just had a story on a local news channel here in San Diego where they were talking about pay for county employees. The had a list of the top paid people, and most were deputy Sheriff's. A lot of guys on the list making in the 130k range with the OT.
YEAH, but they are working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week, Sorry no thanks.....

OGShocker
05-29-2003, 01:57 PM
mtndewdrops:
Please be honest and do fess up...we might be surprized at the outcome.In my younger days, Rice road was the best road to test your towing skills at speeds over 100MPH. Now a days I prefer slowing down, taking it easy and aiming for the kangaroo rats. eek!
I find if you stay within 10% to 12% of the posted speed limits, Johnny Law will leave you alone. They're just doing their job and doing it well.

=PAYED CA$H=
05-30-2003, 03:55 PM
MY BUDDY JEFF TOWS HIS 26 DAYTONA AT WELL OVER A HUNDRED THE WHOLE WAY DOWN THE 40 TO HAVASU AND THATS NO PROBLEM WHEN YOUR SUBURBAN IS PUTTING OUT 650 HORSEPOWER AND 705 POUNDS OF TORQUE..... :D :D

Ziggy
05-30-2003, 04:19 PM
=PAYED CA$H=:
MY BUDDY JEFF TOWS HIS 26 DAYTONA AT WELL OVER A HUNDRED THE WHOLE WAY DOWN THE 40 TO HAVASU AND THATS NO PROBLEM WHEN YOUR SUBURBAN IS PUTTING OUT 650 HORSEPOWER AND 705 POUNDS OF TORQUE..... :D :D It's a problem if my family is on the same road. Make sure to let us know when he's on the road so the rest of us can stay the **** away from him. yuk Fricken river ain't going away overnight ya know! :mad:

NastyOne
06-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Ziggy:
=PAYED CA$H=:
MY BUDDY JEFF TOWS HIS 26 DAYTONA AT WELL OVER A HUNDRED THE WHOLE WAY DOWN THE 40 TO HAVASU AND THATS NO PROBLEM WHEN YOUR SUBURBAN IS PUTTING OUT 650 HORSEPOWER AND 705 POUNDS OF TORQUE..... :D :D It's a problem if my family is on the same road. Make sure to let us know when he's on the road so the rest of us can stay the **** away from him. yuk Fricken river ain't going away overnight ya know! :mad: Ya but ice mets and beers get cold when you take all day to get to the ****in river.

Ziggy
06-05-2003, 05:37 PM
NastyOne:
Ziggy:
=PAYED CA$H=:
MY BUDDY JEFF TOWS HIS 26 DAYTONA AT WELL OVER A HUNDRED THE WHOLE WAY DOWN THE 40 TO HAVASU AND THATS NO PROBLEM WHEN YOUR SUBURBAN IS PUTTING OUT 650 HORSEPOWER AND 705 POUNDS OF TORQUE..... :D :D It's a problem if my family is on the same road. Make sure to let us know when he's on the road so the rest of us can stay the **** away from him. yuk Fricken river ain't going away overnight ya know! :mad: Ya but ice mets and beers get cold when you take all day to get to the ****in river. Well, if the beer gets cold there shouldn't be a problem...if they get warm buy more ice, its alot cheaper than someones life.

Frosty_pop
06-05-2003, 08:30 PM
Well lets see..... on the way to Laughlin for Memorial Day Weekend, I got a ticket in Victorville for 86 mph tracked by aircraft. didn't feel like I was moving that fast.

Essex502
06-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Pretty much stay around the speed limit. 75 once we get into AZ.

mtndewdrops
06-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Essex502:
Pretty much stay around the speed limit. 75 once we get into AZ. Way to go ESSEX502 :D , glad to hear that there are some other PATIENT people on the boards. It is not about how fast you get there, it is how much fun you have on the way... :D :D

Essex502
06-11-2003, 05:43 AM
I'd drive faster but can't see behind the boat! The first time towing this boat I had a CHP sneak right up on my ass and I didn't see him until he pulled out to pass. Luckily I was only going about 60 outside Baker.
These days, though, the tow is only 4 miles from the house to a ramp so there's no need to hurry. :D
[ June 11, 2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Essex502 ]