PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the new Fords

NashvilleBound
12-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Anyone have some pics of the new Fords? Next years change (Super duty) or the Tonka? I keep hearing people talking about them and I haven't seen anything, except Toby Kieths video and its just a glimpse.
NB
[ December 03, 2002, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: NashvilleBound ]

TOBTEK
12-03-2002, 06:41 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/tonka1.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/tonka2.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/tn_tonka3.JPG

TOBTEK
12-03-2002, 06:43 PM
I WANT THE NEW TONKA...THEREFOR I NEED IT! my 01 superscrew will be looking for a new home when this comes out! :D

TOBTEK
12-03-2002, 06:48 PM
http://f150online.com/images/dexcursion-cover-small.jpg
Here's another concept truck!

NashvilleBound
12-03-2002, 07:12 PM
I heard the Tonka will not be out till mid 04. That lags.... But the new superduties will be available middle of next year....my 00 is ready for a new home.
TOBTEK: Can you get those to link to a larger pic? BTW: You going to DD's party SAT? We could caravan...

Jordy
12-03-2002, 07:21 PM
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/news/concept.car/ford.350tonka/ford.350tonka.f34.500.jpg

Jordy
12-03-2002, 07:23 PM
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/news/concept.car/ford.350tonka/ford.350tonka.eng.500.jpg

Jordy
12-03-2002, 07:23 PM
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/news/concept.car/ford.350tonka/ford.350tonka.r34.500.jpg

Jordy
12-03-2002, 07:28 PM
Ford tough in big-truck sandbox with Mighty Tonka
By TIM SPELL
Cars & Trucks
DETROIT -- A fascination with big, macho trucks is something that begins at childhood and, for many, never fades. Ford is bridging these youth and adult fantasies with its Mighty F-350 Tonka concept.
Boldly displayed at Detroit's North American International Auto Show, this blocky hulk of vibrant yellow and chrome is packed with many styling and engineering cues that will appear on future Super Duty models. Based on a production F-350, crew-cab, dually, 4x4 chassis, the F-350 Tonka represents the ultimate Ford 1-ton pickup for consumers with serious towing needs.
The show truck's tie with Hasbro Inc.'s Tonka toys simply is an exercise in fun, said Lon Zaback, design manager, Ford Tough Truck studio. Images of old Tonka metal toy trucks such as the popular Mighty Dump Truck of the mid-'60s were summoned during the concept's development, he said, and design-team members have fond childhood memories of playing with Tonka trucks. To Zaback's surprise, a closer look a the toy-maker's philosophy proved Ford's link with Tonka a proper fit.
"As we started looking at some of their brand literature and our brand literature we realized what a nice mesh it was," Zaback said. "They used the same terminology we did -- `tough, durable, dependable, timeless.' "
As with Tonka's ageless toy designing, Ford's goal with the concept was to build on company tradition. There were a number of signature styling cues that designers wanted to move forward with and modernize: the massive, power-look, Super Duty grille with "nostrils"; round wheel arches; tall, drop-down beltline; and heavy use of chrome.
Glistening chrome captures the attention of adults, just as it does children. Lots of body-color works well on light-duty pickups, but Ford views chrome as a must on its Super Duty offerings.
"For customers of the Super Duty in particular, chrome indicates `strong steel.' " Zaback said.
Sheer body lines also are key in conveying a look of strength, he said. Smooth sections and sweeps have to be coupled with sheer lines to achieve styling balance. This industrial-muscle appearance is further conveyed with headlamps and taillamps sculpted as extruded sections to give the sense of beams running the body's full length.
Tonka F-350's round wheel arches are expected to carry over to future Super Duty models, but Zaback isn't certain if the aggressive fender flares will be adopted. Filling these openings are 22-inch chrome wheels wrapping 315/60R-22, 37-inch overall-diameter Goodyear tires. These custom tires feature tread patterns that emulate those of the toy Tonka's fat donuts.
The concept's wheels are positioned closer to the corners, and the wheelbase is about 9 inches longer than a standard F-350's. Lengthening the cab and shortening the bed -- creating a 6.8-inch shorter overall length -- enhances the longer wheelbase look.
A short, 6-foot-something bed was chosen because of the truck's stronger focus on towing rather than hauling. Fitted to the tall-sided bed is a custom fifth-wheel hitch, and the outside mirrors are power-extendable trailering types.
Equipped with air suspension, the truck "kneels" to make coupling it with a trailer a simpler process. When doors are opened, the truck lowers and chrome rocker panels deploy to form steps.
Of course, a dedicated towing truck -- especially one heralded as "Mighty" -- demands a formidable powerplant. Tonka
F-350 creators answered this need with a concept Power Stroke Super-600 V-8 turbodiesel, touted as being exceptionally quiet and fuel- and emissions-efficient. Coupled with a five-speed PowerTorq concept automatic transmission, this turbocharged 6-liter unleashes an estimated 350 horsepower and, importantly for towing, 600 foot-pounds of torque.
Ford boasts the PowerTorq transmission has short first- and second-gear ratios to launch a truck under load quickly and smoothly. This transmission is expected to produce a durability figure of 250,000 miles.
Adding fuel efficiency is a hydraulic launch-assist system. It captures energy usually lost in braking, stores it in a hydraulic tank, then reuses it on launching. This system provides a remarkable fuel economy increase in city driving of 30-40 percent.
Creators of the Mighty F-350 sought to layout a command-center-style interior from which to put Super-600 power to work. The term designers use for the interior theme is "tough luxury." In this styling approach, luxury is a focus -- but not the traditional style using plush upholstery and wood trim. Tonka's luxury is created with upscale industrial inspiration, using appointments such as metallic accents and precision-feel knurled grips that favor those of high-quality tools.
"The interior is like a tool, and we want to give you a sense that you are utilizing it," Zaback said. "It's all about being in command."
Getting a grip on this "tool" philosophy starts the moment a hand is inserted into one of the massive, chrome, exterior door handles. Tagged "360-degree" handles, these are crafted so the entire hand can wrap around, resulting in a distinct feel of actuating something functional.
Rear-hinged back doors couple with the absence of B-pillars to provide wide-open access to the large cab. The interior scenery is somewhat alien -- filling the imagination with images of a space-pod cockpit.
"Tough luxury" offers an interesting blend of stern and inviting. While thoughts of a tool typically aren't associated with bucket seats, Tonka's front seats feature side-bolstering sections that articulate via tool-like racheting.
The driver's seat, appropriately named the "Commander's Seat," is what Ford touts as the defining part of the tough luxury environment. Its floating suspension makes it all-terrain shock-resistant. The Commander Seat has a cushion action similar to that of some big-rig seats. Positioning a "smart box jump seat" aside the front-passenger seat doubles as a storage compartment and extra seat.
Rear seats are divided into three sections, each with flip-up cushions. Strapped beneath the seats are custom, tool-box-style luggage units. These can be detached, and are fashionable enough to be used as luggage to carry aboard an airplane. The three rear head-restraints are oddities. They attach to the header and fold to the ceiling to offer improved rear visibility.
Dashboard layout and controls also are a world apart from traditional pickups. The most eye-catching bit of weirdness is the gauge layout. Three gauges pop tombstone-style from the dashboard's top. These are interchangeable instruments -- featuring specialized gauges such as a floating compass and tilt-o-meter -- which offer customers the convenience of swapping gauges as some novelty watches do faces.
Among this selection of gauges is a tachometer that's linked with the Torquemaster system. The Torquemaster controller, located on the center console, allows the driver to manually shift traction power to specific wheels -- left or right and fore or aft.
A liquid-crystal-display monitor tacked to a floor-console-mounted pedestal also offers extraordinary function. Aside from expected navigation-system maps, images from a pair of rear-mounted cameras are displayed. One is an assist for backing and the other a trailer-coupling aide.
While not all of the Tonka show truck's design and engineering pluses will make it into the real world, expect Ford to use the Mighty F-350 as a serious model for future Super Duty pickups. Like the Tonka concept, current- and next-generation production pickups share a common philosophy.
"It's all about `tough, durable and dependable,' " Zaback said.
TYPE: 1-ton dually crew cab
SEATING: 6
WHEELBASE: 165 in.
LENGTH: 242 in.
WIDTH: 93 in.
HEIGHT: 84 in.
DRIVE: 4WD
ENGINE: 6-liter turbodiesel
EST. HP: 350 @ 3,300 rpm
TORQUE: 600 ft.-lbs. @
2,000 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 5A
WHEELS: 22 x 11-in. chrome
TIRES: 315/60R-22
BRAKES: 4-wheel disc, ABS

NashvilleBound
12-03-2002, 07:34 PM
The Ford Tonka Truck http://www.mytonka.net
My service will not allow me to post pics so heres a link I found.

NashvilleBound
12-03-2002, 07:41 PM
And the big question$$$$$$$$??? Just a guess...$50-70k depending on options?

TOBTEK
12-04-2002, 08:10 AM
NashvilleBound:
I heard the Tonka will not be out till mid 04. That lags.... But the new superduties will be available middle of next year....my 00 is ready for a new home.
TOBTEK: Can you get those to link to a larger pic? BTW: You going to DD's party SAT? We could caravan...sorry im a comp-u-tard...dont know how to enlarge pic's...and would like to go to DD's party but I have to work late this weekend here at the dealership....gotsta make the dough you know!

NashvilleBound
12-04-2002, 06:55 PM
Dealership???? Whatcha selling?
Always like to know who to go to when I need something specific.

mbrown2
12-10-2002, 09:25 PM
Possibly the 2004 F-150..
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/04_-_F150.JPG
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/6-10-9658.jpg
[ December 10, 2002, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

HOSS
12-18-2002, 08:00 AM
These trucks will change everything. Most impressed with the resevoir for fuel savings. Now that is engineering!
Next, the interior is SCREAMING dare to be different. Finally a fully modern dash in a production vehicle.
I bet the price will be futuristic! Guess I`ll get a used one in `07-`08.
Gotta love those bench racers! They never learn!