PDA

View Full Version : Towing 27-29' with a /2 ton truck

Eric91Z
07-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Well, trying to figure out if I will be able to pull as much boat as we are looking at getting with the truck I have.
I have a '95 Ford F150 4x4 with 5.0L motor, auto tranny, and 3.55 gears. Upgrading to 33" tires, so I plan on re-gearing the front and rear ends with 4.10 gears.
Anyway, according to the numbers, the truck is rated at a GCWR of 11,500 pounds and a max trailer rating of 7100 pounds. Anyway, by the numbers, I will be right at the edge for this truck. But what about real life? Truck is setup with 7-pin connector that has electric brake connection for the trailer harness.
Have been looking at used Baja 272 and 290s. Just wondering if I will be able to pull this much boat down the road and if I will have any problems loading and unloading on the ramps?
I have a friend that has a '96 (I think) Baja 272 and should try to convince him to let me tow it with my truck just to find out. Wanted to see what the thought was one here.
I am guessing I should probably forgo the 6" suspension lifts and 37" tires I have been looking at if I plan on keeping this truck for towing....

Eric91Z
07-23-2003, 05:06 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to add, the truck has the factory trailering package with receiver, wiring, and tranny cooler. I believe/assume it is a Class III hitch. My buddy states his boat and trailer weigh in around 6900 pounds with the boat full of fuel. Would I need to consider upgrading to a higher class of hitch: Class IV or V?

BajaMike
07-23-2003, 05:31 PM
I think for that size boat you need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I just bought a new Baja Outlaw 20', and have a Chevy 1/2 ton short bed, 350 engine, automatic trans, 3.73 rear end, I put on smaller tires, class 3 hitch, trans cooler, hearvy duty rear shocks. The boat is supposed to weigh 3000, trailor 1000, fuel and stuff I figure another 1000 lbs, for a total of about 5,000 lbs.
It pulls it OK, been to Havasu twice from Orange County, but I don't think I would want to pull any more weight. I believe it is rated to tow 7000 lbs.
I just don't think the chassis and rear end is sturdy enough for a whole lot more trailor weight. The 3/4 ton trucks have heavier frames, suspension and rear end.
Mine pulls OK speed wise and doesn't sag at all in the back, but bumps seem to really rock my truck and the trailer.

Eric91Z
07-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the input. One reason I would like to try to do it is to keep from adding a truck payment and the other is my buddy pulls his Baja, currently, with a '96 or '97 Chevy Tahoe with the 350 and he has no complaints.
Most towing would be no more than 3-4 hours away.

Boozer
07-24-2003, 01:47 PM
I have a buddy that towed his Baja 272 with his Durango and now hauls it with an F-150 and he pulls it without worries. I think you will be just fine.
Is the boat sitting on a double or triple axle trailer?

Eric91Z
07-24-2003, 06:11 PM
All the 272s I have looked at are on double axle trailers and the 290s have mostly been on triple axle trailers. And pretty much all of them have trailer brakes of some kind (surge or electric).

Outnumbered
07-24-2003, 09:35 PM
Boozer:
I have a buddy that towed his Baja 272 with his Durango and now hauls it with an F-150 and he pulls it without worries. I think you will be just fine.
Is the boat sitting on a double or triple axle trailer? Hey boozer you're kidding right? Pulling a 27' with a Durango. I know you have one and I just traded my 2001 Durango in. Its been one of the best trucks I ever had and pulled our 21' sweet. But a 27' would be scarry behind that thing eek!
Eric, my buddy had that exact truck and it will get you where you are going but pulling that much weight will kill it eventually. How many miles are on it? When he sold me my boat and bought his 24' he blew the tranny on the second trip pulling the 24'. Bought a Z71 tahoe and that solved his problems.
The 5.0 is not a true truck motor. It is a mustang motor and its a proven machine but its not made to tow that kind of weight. Not to mention that the 1/2 ton brakes and tranny will be over worked too. The big tires will work the brakes even more.
I would say if you only have a short FLAT drive to your lake than keep it. But if you have to pull nasty grades like we do out here to get to the river than I would't consider it.
JMO, hope it helps
OL

BajaMike
07-25-2003, 08:12 AM
I agree with Old Lavey. Short, flat trips would probably be OK, but long hilly ones would do in your truck. I always like to be about 1000 lbs below the rated tow weight. The lift kit and larger tires put even more strain on your brakes, transmission and suspension.
I think anything over 5000 to 6000 lbs (before fuel and supplies) needs at least a 3/4 ton truck.
I know the feeling...I wanted a bigger boat but went with the 20' Baja Outlaw so I could safely tow it with my existing 1/2 ton Chevy truck, which is paid off.
Good luck,
MC
[ July 25, 2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: BajaMike ]

HavasuDreamin'
07-25-2003, 08:47 AM
I am a firm believer in over kill when it comes to towing. :cool: There is nothing worse than being all geared up, and excited about a trip only to find yourself on the side of the road two hours from the lake with a busted truck. cry

spectras only
07-25-2003, 09:30 AM
If you do flatland towing only you should be OK, but towing hills and mountins a minimum engine size for a 24+ boat is the 5.4 L with min 3.73 gears.I would get the 3/4 or 1 T for a boat 27'-29' wink .

rvrkaosI
07-25-2003, 12:46 PM
Had a chevy with a 350/ stock gears/ lifted 4 inches with 33". That truck could barely pull a 21 foot LX Ultra. Going to the river, no a/c, 55-60 all the way with 30mph up hills. The worst ride to the river!
Bumped up to a F250 Super Duty, and now a/c all the way, lifted 6 inches with 35', and 65-70 all the way, with more to give.
Don't tow over 70, lost my back bench seat cushion on the 10 frwy somewhere on the way home from parker. :mad:

Eric91Z
07-26-2003, 06:31 AM
Thanks for all the input from people, I really appreciate it. Figured I would be on the edge pull that much with my current truck, but it is paid for. Also, most of my towing will be on county highways so speeds are not a huge issue, just whatever hills I would run into.
I have made plans for some other upgrades to the truck that I assume would help me, but keep me away from a $350+ truck payment to step up to something else. They would include: Kenne Bell screwcharger, 4.10 or 4.56 gears, different/upgraded brake pads, SS brake lines - or if possible, complete aftermarket brake upgrade, and/if when needed, stronger tranny rebuild. And, again, the truck already has the tow package and a rear stabilizer bar.
I know, I am still working with just a 1/2 ton truck as apposed to a 3/4 or 1 ton. If I upgraded, there is no choic for me: '99 or newer Ford 1-ton 4x4 dually with the power stroke diesel. I would never be left wondering about towing again. Just a matter of newer/bigger truck now and holding off on the boat longer, or keeping this truck and moving back the boat buy plans.

Boozer
07-26-2003, 01:32 PM
**This leads to Spam**
I have been curious about Supercharging my rig. I was thinking about putting on an intercooled ATI procharger. Then getting the tranny rebuilt to support the power. I have a Durango with the 5.9 Litre in it and it pulls my 20' Boat at 80-85 without any problems whatsoever. I can even pull it up pretty steep grades and maintain about 70 MPH. But I'd like more power since I will be upgrading my boat in the near future and I drive on a LOT of steep grades. I'm wondering is the supercharger will kill the motor fast when towing or if it'll be okay.
As for my friend who pulled the 272 with his Durango, he lives in Havasu and doesn't pull it long distances. I think to Parker and back is about it. Probably towed it to Cali a couple times but mostly short distances. Says the durango pulled it like a champ.
Speaking of which he is looking to sell the boat for 44k 98 Baja 272, just had the interior redone, Silent choice exhaust, Cupped SS prop (cant remember the pitch) 502 EFI, Bravo outdrive. Not sure of the hours but they can't be much because he really doesn't take the boat out all that often. He has decided he needs a Hustler Slingshot instead. PM me if interested.