PDA

View Full Version : ? for all you 4wd.ers

jet4fun
12-26-2002, 08:00 PM
i own a 95' yukon 4wd it has a 6" rcd lift w/35" bfg mud terrains and unfortunately stock gears. as a result it gets about 9 mpg(pathetic).
ive decided rather than spending 1200 bucks on regearing that i should convert to a solid axle, go higher w/38's and gear it in the process(always think big right?)
i am wondering if anyone knows where i can find a dana44 at a decent price. the ass kicker is that i need a ford becuse it has the drivers side pumpkin, and then i need to convert the knuckles out to 6 lug chevy, i also want crossover steering. ive pretty much decided that im gonna buy o.r.u's bracket kit since it looks really clean and fairly easy to install.
any help is appreciated, by the way once im done my complete lift, wheels and tires are for sale, only a year old.

Hustler
12-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Robert I would check with Morise at ORU on the front axle I'm sure he can find you one but if you are going to run 38's put a 60 under the front and a 3/4 ton axle under the rear. The 1/2 ton stuff will NOT hold up with those tires even just driving it on the street. Good Luck
[ December 27, 2002, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Hustler ]

jet4fun
12-27-2002, 11:36 AM
yeah, i hear what youre sayin on the dana 60 thing, and i would love to put one in some day but for now the price difference from a 44 to a 60 is huge. this may sound dumb but i know several people that have run 38's on a 44 for years without a prob. granted they dont hardcore wheel... the plan is to later upgrade to a 60 when i have better cash flow
thanks for the heads up at o.r.u. they are actually the ones that installed my current lift, and i like their work. i was just tryin to see if theres anybody else out there that is maybe just a little bit less expensive

Hustler
12-27-2002, 08:13 PM
Robert I have alot of freinds that are into 4x's so I will ask around, you probably will be ok on the front with a 44 but seriosly think about changing the rear out I had a 72 K5 on 35's and I killed the rear end many times, gears, axles and housings in a matter of 2 years and most of it was from driving on the street. I will let you know if I hear anything.

BigBoyToys
12-27-2002, 08:36 PM
Try here, the Sac Bee has a classified for Dana 60's and 44's from $50.00 to $1300.00
http://www.sacbee.com/classads/transportation/auto_parts/

TIMEBOMB
12-28-2002, 10:21 PM
Why a Ford dana 44? You are going to run 38's right? Get a Chevy 44 (dime a dozen) have the axles swapped from left to right at the same time you'll be able to make sure the caster is correct, and the driveshaft angle is correct. I think the caster setting for a 44 is around 7 degrees and your driveshaft angle should be around 2 degrees to keep the vibrations down. Later, good luck and make sure everthing is done safely, don't want the front end swapping with the rear. jawdrop

jet4fun
12-30-2002, 01:00 AM
TIMEBOMB:
Why a Ford dana 44? You are going to run 38's right? Get a Chevy 44 (dime a dozen) have the axles swapped from left to right at the same time you'll be able to make sure the caster is correct, and the driveshaft angle is correct. I think the caster setting for a 44 is around 7 degrees and your driveshaft angle should be around 2 degrees to keep the vibrations down. Later, good luck and make sure everthing is done safely, don't want the front end swapping with the rear. jawdrop actually the reason i am looking for a ford 44 is because thats what everyone told me i needed because i need a drivers side pumpkin. thanks for the info i'm gonna look into that.

TIMEBOMB
01-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Good luck. I was thinking about it a little more, and since most Ford 44 are on the 1/2 tons with coil spring you would have to weld spring perches on anyway. Later, Gary