PDA

View Full Version : 7.3 vs 6.0

victorfb
10-05-2003, 10:20 AM
does anyone have any info to share about the comparison between the Ford 7.3 to the 6.0 diesels?
from the factory the 6.0 is definatly out performing the 7.3 but, with a Banks system on the 7.3 the motor absolutly comes alive. i spoke to a couple techs at Banks and the 6.0 is still in the R&D . and not sure if they will be able to get much more performance from it. did ford take banks tricks and add it to the new 6.0 and basicaly max it out? the 7.3 has been a proven motor but unfortunatly was mated to a 4 speed automatic that had its share of problems. now the 6.0 is having a couple problems but mated to a good 5 speed automatic. so which is the better combo? and please people, i dont want to hear about the duramax or cummins or any other of you favorites. i just want to keep this between the ford 7.3 and the 6.0 . thanks. :D

JetBoatRich
10-05-2003, 10:44 AM
I purchased a 2004 F-350 Crew Cab Dually, with the 6.0, the trucks moves great. No issues, tows awesome.
Thedieselstop.com has a lot of information about the trucks.

victorfb
10-05-2003, 10:53 AM
thanks rich. yes i heard the 6.0 is pulling nice. and im glad your happy with yours. i have heard of a few that had problems. mostly injectors. i am pulling a 14,000 to 15,000 pound trailer and am a bit curious on how well they are handeling that much. the 7.3 with the banks system on it works awsome, but the tranny isnt unless you add the gear vendors gear splitter. thanks again for the input, i really do appreciate it. :D

JetBoatRich
10-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Last month I pulled my brother in-laws trailer with his race car in it. Not sure of the weight, but it is an 26' closed trailer with tools and car. You only noticed the trailer when leaving the line. Pulled on the highway great.

victorfb
10-05-2003, 11:28 AM
thats good to know. thanks man. my trailer is a toy hauler, 38' fifth wheel. loaded i am guessing at 14000# im sure the 6.0 would have no problem, i just dont want to make such a big investment and then later regret the choice. i am actually looking at the F450 or F550.

sammtron
10-05-2003, 04:59 PM
just got 2003 f350 crew cab. its all chip up out run my old 7.3 with banks kit on it. i use edge chip . love it

DesertDog
10-05-2003, 05:07 PM
I got a 2003 6.0 4x4 crew cab with about 5,000 miles on it.No problems with the truck.Pulls my toybox which weighs about 7,000 pounds empty great.The tranny works great and the torque of the motor really shines when pulling big grades.

MissHavasuCig
10-06-2003, 09:11 AM
My 2003 Excursion with the 6.0 PSD is the biggest POS!!! It's been in the shop about 20 times for multiple problems and we have a lawyer involved now to get Ford to buy it back. :(
And, our friend has the same exact car and his is having similar problems as well!
We've read on other forums that the '04s are still having problems too...
As soon as we can get rid of it ~ we're buying a Chevy wink

sandblasted
10-20-2003, 07:29 PM
I bought a F-250 in August with the 6.0. it pulls my 21ft Ultra great...Stick it on cruise control at 70 and it goes up and down the hills to needles with no problems...it has great pickup for all around driving...The only performance mods I'm going to do to it are replace the stock air intake and add a Banks exhaust pipe...It really has all the power I need...

JetBoatRich
10-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by sandblasted
I bought a F-250 in August with the 6.0. it pulls my 21ft Ultra great...Stick it on cruise control at 70 and it goes up and down the hills to needles with no problems...it has great pickup for all around driving...The only performance mods I'm going to do to it are replace the stock air intake and add a Banks exhaust pipe...It really has all the power I need...
When are you doing that?

sandblasted
10-21-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
When are you doing that?
Now that the bed liner is done I'm going to install the snugtop next...Then pump up the stereo...then intake and exhaust...finally a 4" lift with bigger meats...all in good time...I'm in no hurry....Got other things to spend $$ on like concrete in the yard and my 68 camaro....

JetBoatRich
10-21-2003, 07:00 AM
Now that the bed liner is done I'm going to install the snugtop next...Then pump up the stereo...then intake and exhaust...finally a 4" lift with bigger meats...all in good time...I'm in no hurry....Got other things to spend $$ on like concrete in the yard and my 68 camaro....
all in good time, I agree. Thought about a chip before the exhaust?
Are you done boating for the year?

sandblasted
10-21-2003, 10:31 AM
all in good time, I agree. Thought about a chip before the exhaust?
Are you done boating for the year?
Yep. The boat has been set up for winter..filled the gas tanks and added Sta-bil, drained the block and manifolds of water...and stuck it in the backyard..Probably going to have alot of upholstery redone this winter...and you can be damn sure I won't take it to the same guy Jerry did...:mad:

JetBoatRich
10-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Jerry got his money back, what a hassle:mad:

victorfb
10-22-2003, 12:36 AM
well i bit the bullet sort of speak. ordered up a 2004 F550 4X4 with the 6.0 diesel and the 5 speed automatic. you think it will pull the 18' rogers ok?:p thanks for all the input folks. you guys are awsome.:D

UBFJ #454
10-22-2003, 03:01 AM
What is the difference between the F-350 and the F-550?

JetBoatRich
10-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by victorfb
well i bit the bullet sort of speak. ordered up a 2004 F550 4X4 with the 6.0 diesel and the 5 speed automatic. you think it will pull the 18' rogers ok?:p thanks for all the input folks. you guys are awsome.:D
While pulling the boat "You will thinking what boat behind the truck;)"

STV_Keith
10-22-2003, 08:09 AM
The 7.3 has been around for quite a while. Many aftermarket manufacturers have stuff for it. There is such a laundry list of options, it's hard to pick the right thing. Just about everyone sells a chip or a programmer or something for it.
Stock, the intercooled late 99's to 2003 7.3's make around 210hp at the wheels on our dyno. The avg chip is 50hp gain. This is safe on those without having to add exhaust, gauges, etc. Any more power will require the aformentioned other items. 75-100hp chips/modules are available. Beyond that, we are one of the few co.'s that offer injector upgrades as well, for another 75hp to the ground. All told, 350hp is about all you're gonna get out of one without adding LPG. Propane can add some power, but we are not all that fond of it. The extra heat in the cylinder equates to hardening and eventual cracking/failure of the o-rings on the injectors.
The 6.0, while it originally had some ECM and injector problems, seems to have been straightened out for the most part. Most of the recent ones I've seen run fine. The first one we dynoed was 314hp to the ground. The last one was 308, so they do make more power stock than a 7.3l would make with a chip. We offer a module on the 6.0 already that adds 60/75/100hp gain to the wheels. It's adjustable inside the cab with a 3-position switch. Gauges are definitely recommended. Due to this model having a catalytic converter, only cat-back systems are offered. The trans seems to be holding great, even with 410rwhp trucks running around out there.
Hope that helps.
Keith Lockliear
Diesel Dynamics (http://www.dieseldynamics.com) tech support

JetBoatRich
10-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Kieth, impressive that is the information I wanted.:D

In2Deep
10-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Keith...what does the 75HP chip with gauges cost?
2003 Excursion 6.0.
Do you all do installations?

JetBoatRich
10-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by In2Deep
Keith...what does the 75HP chip with gauges cost?
2003 Excursion 6.0.
Do you all do installations?
Check out their web page, has all that information.

STV_Keith
10-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Yeah, check the website. The Box for the 6.0 is adjustable for 60-75-100 hp to the wheels over stock.

Ziggy
10-23-2003, 02:57 PM
I've got the 7.3 and love it to death--bone stock so far. Tows like a mother loaded with 12' slide in camper and the toy trailer behind....blows away my old 460 by far plus way better fuel useage.
One of my employees has an '03 6.o and within days he had trouble with it---injector problem, and two main seals already, both outside mirrors and other do-dads....think he has barely 3 or 4K miles on it yet....seems like maybe they have fixed the problems but now he's nervous about it.

sandblasted
10-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Well I found something to hate about my new 6.0....I plan on buying an aftermarket air intake system but haven't done it yet...
Well, the damn stock air filter is clogged according to the indicator on the filter housing, so I call around to the parts stores...Many of them are not carrying it so I call the Ford dealer...
They quote me $101 for the friggin air filter!!!!!!!!!
After I get done with my coughing and gagging they tell me they will sell it for $86...I tell them no thanks..
Call a few more parts stores and find one for $61...$61 for a damn air filter... but they have to order it..I say screw it and buy the one from the dealer...
While I'm there the parts guy tells me the fuel filters are $90!!!
$90 for god damn fuel filters!!!!!
I never would have thought anyone would charge this much for air and fuel filters! What highway robbery....

JetBoatRich
10-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Try the company I e-mail you about, they seemto carry what we need and at a reasonable price.

STV_Keith
10-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Yep, right now the co. that built the fuel filters has a monopoly on them.
The air filter is a complete replacement BOX as well. The plastic outer of the stock unit also comes with the replacement.
OTOH, you can get an AFE complete replacement for $349 and then just clean it forever.

jackpunx
10-30-2003, 09:08 AM
Well I found something to hate about my new 6.0....I plan on buying an aftermarket air intake system but haven't done it yet...
Well, the damn stock air filter is clogged according to the indicator on the filter housing, so I call around to the parts stores...Many of them are not carrying it so I call the Ford dealer...
They quote me $101 for the friggin air filter!!!!!!!!!
After I get done with my coughing and gagging they tell me they will sell it for $86...I tell them no thanks..
Call a few more parts stores and find one for $61...$61 for a damn air filter... but they have to order it..I say screw it and buy the one from the dealer...
While I'm there the parts guy tells me the fuel filters are $90!!!
$90 for god damn fuel filters!!!!!
I never would have thought anyone would charge this much for air and fuel filters! What highway robbery....
Other then that.... How does it run/tow/ fuel mileage?
thanks.
If you could do it over.. would go with the Duramax?

JetBoatRich
10-30-2003, 09:31 AM
I have a little over 5,000 miles on my 6.0, no problems. Truck runs strong and we really enjoy the ride. I bought the F-350 Dually Lariat FX4 package, so all the trimmings. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78MVC-144L-med.JPG Gas mileage is running about 13.5 around town and 16.5 on the road pulling the boat
I think the Duramax is a hell of a truck and it came down to personal choice of the look and features.

jackpunx
10-30-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks JBR.. will you be bringing it to Buena?..

victorfb
10-30-2003, 10:01 AM
hey jetboatrich... nice truck. is that the 2003 or 2004? i ordered a 2004 F550 with the arizona biege. i liked the 2003 arizona biege, but it looks like they changed it. i only saw the new color on a F250 non duelly. was just wondering if yours is the new color. it looks great in the pic. and im glad to hear your happy with it. its true there has been a few problems with the 6.0 but by what i am also hearing is that ford has corrected them, and the 5 speed tranny is also working awsome. and for you GM guys, im not knocking the GM with the duramax at all, its a great truck aswell. i just couldnt find anything from GM that compared to the F550 4x4.

JetBoatRich
10-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by jackpunx
Thanks JBR.. will you be bringing it to Buena?..
As long as we make it, the truck will be there with us.
It is a 2004 and the color is Az. Beige, really liked the color scheme. When we were at the dealer, they had no trucks that we really liked. They looked in the book for new trucks coming in and showed us a similiar truck on the lot. We decided on the spot for this one, waited an extra month but worth it, 2004 VS the 2003.

JetBoatRich
10-30-2003, 10:12 AM
few more shots
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78MVC-149L-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78MVC-150L-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78MVC-162L-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78MVC-160L-med.JPG

JetBoatRich
10-30-2003, 10:13 AM
hey jetboatrich... nice truck. is that the 2003 or 2004? i ordered a 2004 F550 with the arizona biege. i liked the 2003 arizona biege, but it looks like they changed it. i only saw the new color on a F250 non duelly. was just wondering if yours is the new color. it looks great in the pic. and im glad to hear your happy with it. its true there has been a few problems with the 6.0 but by what i am also hearing is that ford has corrected them, and the 5 speed tranny is also working awsome. and for you GM guys, im not knocking the GM with the duramax at all, its a great truck aswell. i just couldnt find anything from GM that compared to the F550 4x4.
What package/options did you order?

victorfb
10-30-2003, 12:52 PM
great looking truck rich...
i ordered a 2004 F550 crew cab 4x4 lariat, arizona biege, diesel 6.0, 5 speed auto, 4.88 limited slip, duel alternater, duel fuel tank, pick up bed, aluminium 19.5 wheels. and a few little extras. its a dream truck for me thats for sure. i plan on putting a fuel tank (gas) and a water tank in the bed. i will tow a 38'fifth wheel toy hauler for both glamis and of course the river/havasu. i know its a heavier truck than your F350 so i have no idea what i can expect mileage wise, but if it comes close to what your getting, ill be very happy. im hopeing to take dilivery in about 5 to 6 weeks.
as for the color, im pretty stoked to see yours as im sure mine will look very similar except for the side runners. the F550 comes with a differant style. wanna trade side steps? :p

JetBoatRich
10-30-2003, 01:00 PM
Look forward to seeing the 550, trade steps? Might end of taking them off ,either on purpose or accident. Does not take much to ruch them going through ditches. I probably just need to lift it, thats it.:cool:
we bought this one with no intentions of buying another truck for a long time, so got it loaded.

victorfb
10-30-2003, 01:12 PM
rich, i just noticed the firefighter sticker on your truck. :)
im not sure if this is the proper place, but please accept my condolences for the fallen, and injured brothers of your firefighting family. you are ALL heros and highly repected to all of us in this great country of ours. God bless you, your family, and the entire fire service community.
i too was on my way to the fullfilling carreer of being a firefighter, but an unfortunate accident/injury left me paraplegic. i know i will never be a part of your firefighting family, but i DO and allways will feel as you are all a part of mine. you are all in my prayers!
i hope i havnt offended anyone for posting this on this forum. but its how i feel and will accept any criticism deserved.

JetBoatRich
10-30-2003, 02:16 PM
Not sure how you could have offened anyone. We met at the CBBB event and you are a good person,, it is all good.

sandblasted
10-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Other then that.... How does it run/tow/ fuel mileage?
thanks.
If you could do it over.. would go with the Duramax?
Don't get me wrong. I love the way the truck tows and drives...It flat hauls ass!!! Tows my 21ft boat like it's not even there...
Fuel mileage right now is around 16.5 mpg...
Iwas never interested in the Duramax...I owned an Izusu Trooper and do not have much confidence in Izusu products. Plus the chevy dealers were not interested in dealing on them either..

Jordy
10-30-2003, 06:30 PM
rich, i just noticed the firefighter sticker on your truck. :)
Gee Rich, I didn't realize you were a fire fighter as your profile pretty much says you're a "CABLE GUY." :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
10-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Gee Rich, I didn't realize you were a fire fighter as your profile pretty much says you're a "CABLE GUY." :rolleyes:
Family member, thanks for your concern.

Jordy
10-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Trust me, I'm not concerned. :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
10-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Trust me, I'm not concerned. :rolleyes:
That is what I like about you:cool:consistent

victorfb
10-30-2003, 10:28 PM
hey rich... i hope your family memeber is safe. and thanks for the kind words. it was great meeting you at the CBBB, and i thought you were a nice guy aswell. everyone i met there seemed to be good people. it was a blast and i cant wait till next season for the next CBBB. and hopefully the new boat (new to me) will be finished by then. i was told i couldnt go back with the same bad gel (took worst gel):p so i bought another boat. lol
and im betting the new F550 will have no problem towing the 18' rogers. :D
i like the way your truck looks with the two tone. did you have to order it that way? it wasnt an option on the 550, but im sure ill be very happy with it. i cant wait to do some customizing to it. i dig that stuff. are you really planning on lifting it? if so, be careful that you dont change the tire size without changing the gears. i hear diesels are even more tempermental to that since they have such a short rpm range. though i hear in some trucks all you need to do is recalibrate the speedo. not totaly sure about that one. anyhow, congradulations on the new truck and i hope you have many many great years with it.

JetBoatRich
10-31-2003, 07:18 AM
Victor, it was special order that I was in the right place right time. The two tone is not standard, the dealer we bought it from, get them in now and then. The salesman is a boater so we hit it off and he went out of his way for us, we looked at the books and found the one we wanted on future deliveries.
I had the windows tinted and installed alarm is it so far. No plans to make any changes real soon.

Havasu Cig
10-31-2003, 09:43 AM
Ford is taking our POS 6.0 excursion back, and we just ordered a Chevy with the Duramax and Allison. Good luck to everyone else with the 6.0, you might need it.:frown:

victorfb
10-31-2003, 10:06 AM
hey havasu cig. sorry to hear about your problems with the ford. was that a 2003 or 2004? im glad ford is doing you right with it though. ive heard too many horror stories about dealers not wanting to be that understanding, and yes with both ford and gm, and even mopar. did ford offer you a new vehicle? ive heard so much about the problems and even more about how ford is and has fixed them. good luck with the GM. i hear they have a great package and am sure youll be happy with it.

jackpunx
10-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Im have called all my buddies that have fords.. they have not had a problem with them.... Im starting to really lean to the f250 PS 04.. also really like the look of this truck.. I can get it just like that from the dealer..
working on a price today...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/943ford_38_6.jpg

victorfb
10-31-2003, 10:11 AM
awsome looking truck there jack. and its great to hear that info from someone who has the trucks themselves (your friends). i too havnt heard anything bad from the people i know that own em, just from the masses. i have a good feeling that the problems have been fixed and we should have no problems with our new fords.

Havasu Cig
10-31-2003, 11:43 AM
The dealer we were working with was great, but they got to the point where they could not do anything else.
The rear main seal went out at 3800 miles, the turbo had to be replaced at 5000 miles, the computer had to be reflashed 6 times, and the A/C did not work that well (very bad while in Havasu). The truck had total loss of power twice while on the freeway, and partial loss a few other times.
Our friend has the same vehicle (2003 limited Excursion) and is also having problems. we have been told that some of the 04's are having problems as well.
The GM at the dealership said they have lost business because the word has gotten out about the problems. I think they should have stuck with the 7.3 until the 6.0 was ready. I had two 7.3's and they were great.
We have an attorney that handled our case, and Ford has to pay him $2500 in fees. We pay nothing out of pocket.
Ford offered a replacement vehicle with free service for 5 years or 75k miles, but I just don't trust the motor.
The whole process was really easy. the lawyer wrote a demand letter and three weeks later ford made the offer. They said it would be 30-45 days before they take the vehicle back.
Good luck to everybody else. I hope they have the problems under control.

jackpunx
10-31-2003, 03:17 PM
I just got quoted for a 04 f250 4 door 4x4, short bed Fully loaded XLT with the PS drive train, 6" lift and 38" tires ... 45k out the door. .. I looked around.. and couldn’t get anywhere near that price with anyone else.. I was referred to this guy.

Sangster
10-31-2003, 03:58 PM
I have an 03' F350 4dr/4x4/7.3L Deisel/longbed XLT....... I like it, No problems yet......Except....You don't want to park it in your driveway...Mine is all cracked already from the weight of the truck....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
10-31-2003, 03:59 PM
I just got quoted for a 04 f250 4 door 4x4, short bed Fully loaded XLT with the PS drive train, 6" lift and 38" tires ... 45k out the door. .. I looked around.. and couldn’t get anywhere near that price with anyone else.. I was referred to this guy.
Seems about right, mine was $48,000 out the door. We used the "X" plan.

jackpunx
10-31-2003, 04:09 PM
whats the X plan?

JetBoatRich
10-31-2003, 08:20 PM
whats the X plan?
Employee incentive ford gives to other companies. Not sure where you work, but you could be elgible.

Jordy
11-01-2003, 12:34 AM
Seems about right, mine was $48,000 out the door. We used the "X" plan.
X in that plan must stand for "X"-tra... :confused:

JetBoatRich
11-01-2003, 07:35 AM
Yes that's it, more of a supplier discount. Thanks for the help in clearing that up Jordy, glad you are here.:D

buck183
11-01-2003, 02:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Just bought the same truck for A LOT less $$$$ than that.
Buck

jackpunx
11-03-2003, 09:21 AM
I went to Ford direct.. and now my phone is ringing off the hook from ford dealers trying to get my business.. kinda funny.. I have been honest with them.. Told them that I have to sell my truck first.. not in a super big hurry.. But told them to feel free to fight over my business.. so far they have come down pretty low on price and all the extras.. My lowest so far is 04 XLT with all the extras and a lift kit with wheels and tires.. out the door 46k.. And the guy says we can get it lower then that if I go with the 03 rebates..
He told me that the late model 03 had fixed the engine issues.. Does anyone here know if that is true?

JetBoatRich
11-03-2003, 09:52 AM
As far as I have heard issues have been fixed and mine is running great, it is a 2004 model. They are putting more rebates on the 03 trucks.
but lets ask Jordy:D

Jordy
11-03-2003, 05:37 PM
but lets ask Jordy:D
Whatever Rich. Just make sure you get some "X"-tra worthless posts out of this reply. :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
11-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Whatever Rich. Just make sure you get some "X"-tra worthless posts out of this reply. :rolleyes:
I am just trying get your opinion, since you have so many and from what you say yours is usually right.
Isn't the web site for entertainment and information? Lighten Up:D

Jordy
11-03-2003, 06:28 PM
Whatever Rich. Here, reply to this one too. :rolleyes:

Jordy
11-03-2003, 06:30 PM
from what you say yours is usually right.
**** you Rich. I stand by my opinions, especially when it comes to diesels and such relates issues, especially since that's what I do for a living there smart guy.

JetBoatRich
11-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks Jordy, if you remember I have asked you for your opinion on that very subject. Technically you seem to know what you are talking about and I can respect that.
Since I just bought my first Diesel I am rookie for sure, so when someone ask me how it runs and what I think. They get my honest opinion. The truck is great and the 6.0 is a awesome engine for us.

jackpunx
11-04-2003, 08:38 AM
thanks JBR:D

JetBoatRich
11-04-2003, 08:42 AM
thanks JBR:D
No problem, hopefully we meet up at the lake this weekend and you will be able to see the truck for yourself.

tool'n'around
11-04-2003, 07:58 PM
I Bought An F350 crew cab six months ago with the 6.0 in and MAN its the best truck I've ever had... I buy a new truck every year but I'm going to hold on to this one. My friend brought a 2wh dr F350 with the 7.3 at same time I got mine and it's been back to the dealership about ten times for all kinds of stuff...

Havasu Cig
11-05-2003, 06:35 AM
That suprises me about the 7.3....I had two, and a friend had one and they were great motors.:confused:

jackpunx
11-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Sounds like a real hit and miss.. 2 of my buddies have them.. One had the 7.3 with a banks system.. the trannie went out... big hassle with ford.. He got a another one with the 7.3 .. and no problems.. I have another buddy that has f350 4x4 CC Dually with 6.O.. He hammers that truck.. no problems.. he love it.. and tells me every day.

Kilrtoy
11-28-2003, 04:16 PM
X plan sucks, You want to be on the "A" plan

JetBoatRich
11-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
X plan sucks, You want to be on the "A" plan
If you can get, that is the best bargain. :D
Kilrtoy, what are you thinking of getting?

victorfb
11-28-2003, 08:21 PM
well, im not real thrilled with the bikering, but i do appreciate all the input. guess it all goes hand in hand, cant have one without the other. hahaha. anyhow, i am still waiting on my order. its a 2004 F550 4X4 with the 6.0 and im sure im going to be very very happy with it. i just hope i dont get laughed at when i pull the little 18' rogers boneville. i know its overkill for that, but ill be smiling big when i got the 38' fifthwheel toyhauler hooked up and cruisin. :D

JetBoatRich
11-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Ho much longer until your truck comes in Victor?

victorfb
11-29-2003, 09:22 AM
hey rich. im not sure how much longer. they said 6 to 12 weeks when we ordered it, and that was mid october. ford has to build it then the dealership has to install the pickup bed. that was my biggest gripe as everyone i talked to wanted almost 7 grand for the bed and install. they say you have to move one of the fuel tanks some for safety reasons incase of a rear collision. i dont know about that as i looked closely at alot of f550's and didnt see why that would need to be done. i was going to get a bed and do the install myself. i can get em for $1500 to $2000 but then would have to extend it about 3 and half inches to fill the gap between the cab and bed. plus all the beds i can get are white, and i didnt want to try and color match it myself. so i decided to let the dealership do it all. besides, it will all be under warranty now. im thinking and hoping it will look alot like your truck. arizona biege, but without the black bottom panel. i dig the way yours looks. i ordered the alcoa's but wont be the star style like yours. mine will be the traditional style round holes. basically went all out on this truck but i think i forgot to tell them the more aggressive tires. you would think it being a 4x4 they would know that allready. but i have a feeling it will come with the highway tires. which is cool. i dont offroad it much, just incase i need to at glamis or something. i think when i get it ill get some F250 emblems for the fenders. i see so many F250's and F350's that they put the F550 emblems on. silly kids...:p

JetBoatRich
11-29-2003, 09:52 AM
Can't wait to see how your truck turns out, sounds like it will be a nice ride.
I have the standard M&S tires, once they wear out I will go more agressive. Not to worried either at this point, they grab great for my purpose. I have put it in 4wd a few times while out riding to get over a couple hills and no slip, they were mild slopes. Pulled a couple cars out of the sand, they pulled off the road out here. No problems.

victorfb
11-29-2003, 10:57 AM
yea, i cant wait either. but im trying to not think about it or anything. that way when it comes in ill be soooo stoked. the tires that are on the F550's are load range F so i dont think with even the more aggresive ones they will do very well in the sand. thats a hard tire, and im not sure how much airing down will help with that stiff of a tire. i did order the locking rear end so that should help a bit. but if i get stuck ill just call you. hahaha. i normaly camp up on the asphalt at roadrunner when i go to glamis so im sure it will be very uncommon for me to be useing it in the sand. but then again, the way its going out there, that may be all the spots left to camp in. hence the 4X4. all in all though, the truck will be awsome for my application. damn, now you got me all excited about it again. wonder if they can track the progress for me. :D
are you saying you go to glamis aswell? we should hook up out there. i kind of remember reading you and Danhercules (dan) were thinking of doing that. i go with him quite a bit. but obviously waiting for the truck this season. in the meantime im working on the buggy. its just a little 2 seater, but my girlfriend normally rides her banshee so i go solo in the buggy, unless of course there are others with our group that dont have a toy. i get a kick out of giving wifes and girlfriends rides, because when we come back they are all over their husbands/boyfriends for getting a buggy. and youd be amazed how many come back the next season or even the next trip with a buggy. sooo cool....:D

JetBoatRich
11-29-2003, 11:27 AM
We go riding out here, Dove springs, etc. Never been to glamis. I have an old Dune Buggy we are fixing up right now, suppose to get painted next week. Like to try a few other places this winter. We have a 34' RV for camping, would like a camper for the truck to make the quick trips easier and less expensive on fuel. Downthe road we want to sell the RV and get a toy hauler. In do time. My brother in-law races off road out of Blythe, so we try to go watch him when we can.

victorfb
11-29-2003, 11:42 AM
thats cool. i mainly stick to the sand. thats what the buggy is set up for. but on occasion go to ocotillo. (not ocitillo wells). but i dig glamis. the camper would be cool. but im betting youll be very happy with a toy hauler trailer. that way you have the truck if you need to go anywere, and dont have to pack up everything and lose a spot. it gets crowded in glamis and it happens. if you want to try out glamis sometime, let me know. its a blast. most people get hooked the first 5 minutes. :D

JetBoatRich
11-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks Victor, have to cruise out there with you guys sometime. I want to leave the RV at home and take the truck, is tent camping no good out there? Is the facilities there to get cleaned up, etc. Rookie questions?

victorfb
11-29-2003, 06:46 PM
that would be great to see you and your family out there. tent camping is no problem but the facilities are very limited. they do have built in crapers and normally close by. but youll want to hold your breath im sure. you know how it is when there are large crowds and multi users. not everyone is respectful. there is a store about 10 minutes away down the highway, and they do have showers in there. not sure of the cost, i think it all depends if its a holiday weekend or not. the water is well water so i wouldnt drink it, but ive taken showers there and it was not bad. though this was a few years back. i think youll be happy you spent the few extra bucks on fuel and bring your Rv. its all sand and it gets in every oriphus (spelling) of your body, and anywere else you can think of. its hard to keep the sand from getting in your tent too. it gets EVERYWERE. but trust me. you end up loving the sand dunes. riding there is like no other. the water canal runs a few hundred yards from the start of the sand dunes and its hard dirt there. you can follow that down to close of were we camp and its a short scoot. tenting it there is a little easier as its dirt not sand. but no crapers. bushes yes.:D if you have bikes and not quads or three wheelers, the wash by the canal is much better. especially for the little ones. its very hard for the little tikes to ride 2 wheelers in the sand. but as you get closer the dirt starts turning into sand and they get to learn without heading striaght into the sand dunes.plus its a little safer for them. not as many buggys and such going by. it is manditory that ALL offroad vehicles have a whip 6 feet high and a red flag. i carry some extras in my trailer for the people that dont know or lose theirs. i find em all the time while im out in the dunes. pick em up for that reason and plus i hate seeing crap in our deserts. i can go on and on about it, but im betting this thread gets booted as its not related...hahaha if you want you can allways call me. id be more than happy to tell ya all about it and what youll need and not need. probably not a good idea to post the number, but IM me and ill give ya the number there if you want.:D

JetBoatRich
11-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Victor great information, I sent you a PM

victorfb
11-29-2003, 10:03 PM
no problem rich. got the pm and sent you my number. call me any time. im up late so dont worry about it. i didnt want to call and wake the fam, so ill try tomorrow.

Kilrtoy
12-02-2003, 11:08 PM
I just picked up the 2004 F250 supercrew V10 XLT 4:30 gears.
31K on the X plan.
Anyone have ideas of the gas mileage Im looking at. Driving and towing ......21 foot boat

victorfb
12-03-2003, 10:11 AM
i have no idea what mileage the V10s are getting. but i bet it will be more than the boat.:D if you can, post some pics. id love to see the new truck, and the boat.

HammerDown
12-03-2003, 03:53 PM
31K on the X plan.
Anyone have ideas of the gas mileage Im looking at. Driving and towing ......21 foot boat
Gulp-Gulp...:rolleyes: The gearing's a plus but I would say 10 towing...a little more not.
Why not Diesel?

Kilrtoy
12-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Way too much money for the Diesel.
I never drive the truck except to tow to the river. I cant justify 10K upgrade...... to save a few dollars while towing.....

buck183
12-03-2003, 08:12 PM
31K on the X plan.
Are you sure you didn't buy a CrewCab Superduty? The "supercrew" is a 1/2 ton truck. F-150 only for the "Supercrew".
Buck

buck183
12-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Way too much money for the Diesel.
I never drive the truck except to tow to the river. I cant justify 10K upgrade...... to save a few dollars while towing.....
10k upgrade?
I recently bought a FULLY loaded CrewCab Lariat 4x4 with the diesel for about 5k more than what you paid. It is a lot of money though. Justifiable IMO. The power, performance, and mileage difference far outways the gas option. But, I don't drive anything except a truck either. Don't have any use for anything else.
Buck

Kilrtoy
12-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Yes thanks for corecting me, CREWCAB it is....
I sold that weak as Supercrew to get this one....
if I could find a 03 it would have been closer to that price....

victorfb
12-04-2003, 06:40 PM
got word yesterday that the new truck has been built and the dealership has it. they are installing the bed now. they said probably about a week and a half. they will call when they get an exact date. yippppeeeeeeee!!!!!! time to start getting excited...:D

JetBoatRich
12-04-2003, 06:55 PM
got word yesterday that the new truck has been built and the dealership has it. they are installing the bed now. they said probably about a week and a half. they will call when they get an exact date. yippppeeeeeeee!!!!!! time to start getting excited...:D
Good news Victor, might seem like a real long week:D post pic's when you get it

Kilrtoy
12-04-2003, 07:40 PM
Yeah post pics, aslong as your camera is broken like mine:(

victorfb
12-04-2003, 07:59 PM
ill definatly post some pics as soon as i get it. i just got the power supply adapter for the camera, so im good to go.:D

JetBoatRich
12-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Yeah post pics, aslong as your camera is broken like mine:(
Good excuse, need to borrow mine:D

Kilrtoy
12-04-2003, 08:46 PM
No Ill keep it and take pics

SUPERCREWJOHN
12-05-2003, 07:31 AM
31K on the X plan.
It will probably be something like 14mph driving and 8-10 while towing. I have a F-150 supercrew with the 5.4 and 4.30's and I get 16 mph driving and only 8-10 towing so you'll be somewhere in that range., With a 21 ft boat the deisel would have been over kill. Add a Gibson exhaust , K&N Airbox, and have the ECU reprogrammed to remove the limits, and for under 2K you will be easily pulling with the stock F-250 and F-350 Powerstrokes unless you hook up something really heavy like a 4 horse trailer or a bob cat..

Kilrtoy
12-05-2003, 10:42 AM
DFamn how do you get that good of milage,
i just got rid of the F150 supercrew beacuse I was getting 7 will towing and 12 when down hill in a hurricaine. I would normally get 10. Yes the wife is light on the pedal.......
My other two buddies get the same as I.

JetBoatRich
12-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Kilrtoy, I used to get 15.5 on my old F-150 4X4(2000) with a 5.4, and 12 when towing.

victorfb
12-05-2003, 03:46 PM
hey rich. what are you getting with the new truck and the 6.0? i know i wont get as good as you with the 550 because of all the added weight, but id like to know what the 350's are getting to compare.

buck183
12-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SUPERCREWJOHN
It will probably be something like 14mph driving and 8-10 while towing. I have a F-150 supercrew with the 5.4 and 4.30's and I get 16 mph driving and only 8-10 towing so you'll be somewhere in that range., With a 21 ft boat the deisel would have been over kill. Add a Gibson exhaust , K&N Airbox, and have the ECU reprogrammed to remove the limits, and for under 2K you will be easily pulling with the stock F-250 and F-350 Powerstrokes unless you hook up something really heavy like a 4 horse trailer or a bob cat..
Are those 4:30 gears factory? If not are you running larger tires?
Buck

JetBoatRich
12-05-2003, 06:12 PM
hey rich. what are you getting with the new truck and the 6.0? i know i wont get as good as you with the 550 because of all the added weight, but id like to know what the 350's are getting to compare.
I get 14 running around town here, when I hit the highway 16 or above.

Havasubum
12-05-2003, 07:22 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1269f-650.jpg

JetBoatRich
12-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Havasubum
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1269f-650.jpg
:eek: :eek:
Very Nice
:D :D

victorfb
12-05-2003, 11:42 PM
no rich, you cant have one...:p

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 07:23 PM
That truck is just wrong......
I WANT IT:D

JetBoatRich
12-06-2003, 08:15 PM
no rich, you cant have one...:p
Probably could't afford it anyways:eek:

Kilrtoy
12-06-2003, 09:17 PM
You already have one, IT just dont look quite like that

JetBoatRich
12-07-2003, 07:29 AM
You already have one, IT just dont look quite like that
:D :D
It is the same only different, is that what your saying:frown:

Kilrtoy
12-07-2003, 01:04 PM
It just needs a little help getting up, Thats all......

jackpunx
12-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Ive seen that truck cruising hollywood... I think the guy lives in Santa Clarita???? the thing is bad ass

victorfb
12-08-2003, 05:22 PM
ive seen the truck in glamis last season, or another one just like it. its very cool, but didnt work very well in the sand. it had a hard time getting up a smaller dune were a stock chevy went right up. passed him a few times when he was trying to get to the top. im not saying its junk, who knows, maybe he was teaching his son or girlfriend or something how to drive it. i have no idea. but to me it sure seemed like alot of show and not as much go. ill stick with the buggy in the sand and the F550 getting me out there.:D

JetBoatRich
12-08-2003, 07:28 PM
Speaking of new truck, anyday now Victor:D

victorfb
12-08-2003, 11:56 PM
now your just teasing me rich. :D
i am hoping this week for sure. going to drive it around as much as i can, install the 5th wheel hitch and try and take it for its first glamis run around new years. what an awsome way to break in the new year.
damn, now im gettin jazzed big time.:D

SUPERCREWJOHN
12-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by buck183
Are those 4:30 gears factory? If not are you running larger tires?
Buck
BUCK. Yes these are the stock gears ordered as an option in Lieu of the 3.55s. I am running 265/70/17's I had the ECU reprogrammed by Saleen and a lower temp themo. I believe its a 160 or something like that.
JB

BADBLOWN572
12-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Victor, I have the '03 F-250 FX4 4x4 truck with the 6.0 diesel model. Right now I am getting between 17-18 around town and 18-20 on the highway on cruise between 65-70. Towing I usually get 14-15 depending on speed and load. The nice thing is that I can kick on cruise at 70 with the boat behind me and it will not slow down at all going over Cajon Pass. Love the truck. Thinking of putting on the new selector switch to get more H.P., but that will be just for shits and giggles. Doesn't need it!

victorfb
12-12-2003, 11:05 PM
hey badblown572. thats awsome man. im not expecting the same mileage as yours, i realize the 550 is much heavier, but im sure ill be very happy with it no matter what. ive been towing with a 91 GMC duelly that i put a 502 in. it's not bad and the mileage actually got better with the 502 than it was with the 454, but it still is being pushed to its limit in my opinion with the trailer. but i hear there is no comparison with a diesel. i really havnt researched the add on's for more HP, and im thinking it probably wont need it. especially after all the news and responses ive been reading. i dont need to be passing everyone up the grades, i just dont want to have to drive white knuckled and staring at the guages the entire time like i do when i tow the 5th wheel with the GMC. when i get to glamis or the river, im useually more stressed when i arrive than i was before i left. this new truck is going to make such a more enjoyable trip for me. i cant wait. i should be picking up the truck monday if all goes well. then install the 5th wheel hitch and hand controls as soon as possible. im hoping to break in the truck with its first trip to glamis over the new year. Yippppeeeeeeeeeee :D

JetBoatRich
12-12-2003, 11:11 PM
That is great Victor, Monday:D post the pictures so we get a good look:cool:

victorfb
12-12-2003, 11:24 PM
hey rich, whats up man? yep, i plan on bringing the camera when i pick it up. ill post em as soon as i get back. if ill want to get out the drivers seat.:p

JetBoatRich
12-12-2003, 11:27 PM
hey rich, whats up man? yep, i plan on bringing the camera when i pick it up. ill post em as soon as i get back. if ill want to get out the drivers seat.:p
I can tell you, it is tough to get out. I have 8,400 mile on my truck already:confused:

BADBLOWN572
12-14-2003, 07:33 PM
Rich I bought my truck on April 27th of this year and I just turned 26k miles. Talk about some driving. All of that driving and I don't have one complaint!

JetBoatRich
12-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
Rich I bought my truck on April 27th of this year and I just turned 26k miles. Talk about some driving. All of that driving and I don't have one complaint!
Looks like you use it too, I will be near or more 10,000 by the end of the year:eek:
That is why we bought them:wink:

SUPERCREWJOHN
12-15-2003, 12:08 PM
I am considering upgrading this during the beginning of the year to an 4x4 Excursion with the 6.0. What would you say the pro's and cons are of going this route vs going with the V10.
It will be used for pulling a 28ft Ultra Stealth that should weigh in at around 6k with trailer, and as a daily driver from Pasadena to Calabasas ( 40 miles)

JetBoatRich
12-15-2003, 08:55 PM
Victor where is the new truck:confused:

JetBoatRich
12-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by SUPERCREWJOHN
I am considering upgrading this during the beginning of the year to an 4x4 Excursion with the 6.0. What would you say the pro's and cons are of going this route vs going with the V10.
It will be used for pulling a 28ft Ultra Stealth that should weigh in at around 6k with trailer, and as a daily driver from Pasadena to Calabasas ( 40 miles)
Big truck to commute, I am doing the same thing to Ventura right now. For now it is only a couple times a week, but will probably become more frequent next year.
Most of your traffic is the other way for you:D
I would like to hear what are the thoughts of a diesel as a commuter, I am a rookie by far there.

Danhercules
12-17-2003, 07:26 AM
Victor where is the new truck:confused:
Vics a complete lier. He aint got a new truck.................He has a monster!!!!!
I am workin on pics as you read this.

Danhercules
12-17-2003, 07:35 AM
DRUM ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/467558.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/467560.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/467561.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/467564.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/467562.jpg
There ya go Vic. Nice ride. Its in my driveway, so that means is mine now!!!:p

victorfb
12-17-2003, 09:21 AM
well, there's the newest member of the family.:D came into our life monday, Dec.15 2003. at 2:55 PM. very healthy, and weighing in at a little more than expected, actually a few thousand pounds more. :p
im a happy papa.....:D
as Danhercules said, its a monster! but i cant help from smiling ear to ear when im driving it.:D thanks dan for helping me post the pics.

victorfb
12-17-2003, 09:24 AM
oh and Dan........ NO. it doesnt mean it's yours now...:p it just means you have to fix all the cracks it put in your driveway.

jackpunx
12-17-2003, 09:31 AM
congrats on the new baby.. Looks healthy:D

Danhercules
12-17-2003, 09:32 AM
Dont make me get my loaded GMC 7500 and crack your driveway, i mean dirt-way!!!!!:D

jackpunx
12-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Oh.. He lives on a dirt road?.. Then he need's that 4x4 550 dually just to get to his house :D

JetBoatRich
12-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Looks great Victor, enjoy it;)

victorfb
12-17-2003, 11:45 PM
thanks everyone, i am having a blast driving it and just sittin here staring at it. i cant wait to try and tow with it. im trying to get as many miles logged as possible before i do. im thinking like 500-600 miles and do the first oil change. but im not sure about the tranny. then get as many as possible before the 5th wheel gets hooked to it. anyhow, i am one happy camper...:D