PDA

View Full Version : I need headers for my Tow Vehicle

AntRant
02-06-2003, 01:12 PM
i was wondering if anybody had a set in the garage that they want to get rid of (no 1/4" flanges please)....They dont have to chrome or jet hoted, Its not a show truck. 87' Chevy fullsize,4x4,305,a/c,manual tranny. Oh and if you have a set of chrome rims i mite be intrested in those too. E-mail back at ranz116@msn.com
[ February 06, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: AntRant ]

jet4fun
02-06-2003, 11:07 PM
summit has a set i was looking for my truck (95 yukon 350 tbi) should be the same header as your truck, or very close... they are "summit" brand and look like they have a bluish cream color coating on them in the pics. the book says theyre only 159 for the pair, thats about half of any other header ive ever seen for my truck.
i was actually gonna ask if anybody has any opinions on these headers since i am seriously considering them for my truck. i could use some more pulling power

AntRant
02-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Every maker of headers seems to have a diffrent set for the 87' compared to the 88'-98'

jet4fun
02-09-2003, 12:29 AM
i was referring to the fact that they may also list your application on the same listing of the headers. check it out at summit.
btw, i guess nobody else has any input on this huh :confused:

Lightning
02-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Jet 4 Fun,
I do not know if you saw this thread (http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001882) ... I'd think twice about the Summit headers.
If you guys are looking for a set of headers for an 87 Chevy 5.7, make sure you double check the existing manifolds to see if they have the air injection or not. Some motors in that year did, others did not. I think most from 88 and up don't.

jet4fun
02-10-2003, 12:57 AM
good point, the only reason i was consiering them is because i have had a lot of luck with "SUMMIT" brand stuff in the past(i know they are usually made by someone else and have summit's name on them), plus i figured that if i got them and they looked chinsey then i will just return them and continue the search.
good heads up on the air injection, i'm aware of that and luckally i dont have it

Lightning
02-10-2003, 09:29 AM
They have 1/4" flages if I remember correctly. With the heat generated with headers, these will eventually end up warping and leaking. Spend the money and go with Thorley or The Other Guys....just my
$.02

jet4fun
02-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Lightning:
They have 1/4" flages if I remember correctly. With the heat generated with headers, these will eventually end up warping and leaking. Spend the money and go with Thorley or The Other Guys....just my
$.02 just out of curiosity do you know who makes the summit headers? also what do you think of gibson or edelbrock :confused:

Lightning
02-10-2003, 10:13 AM
I haven't dealt with Gibson, I did put the Edelbrocks on my truck back in the day and they were the ones that gave me problems. I had them on about a month, went through two sets of gaskets that leaked. Needless to say, I would have saved a lot of time and money had I purchased the Thorley's off the get go.
When I put the Thorleys on, I never even had to look at them again. They never leaked, no gaskets cracked, etc.... I have not dealt with The Other Guys, but have heard great things about their headers as well. I think it's worth spending the extra money, it'll save you a headache and extra unnecessary wrenching.

TrojanDan
02-10-2003, 12:06 PM
I have Doug Thorley headers on my 94 Chevy 5.7L truck since 95. Pretty tough headers and awesome tone to them. Had them installed by some guy Mike Leach (?) in Orange County. Wouldn't buy anything else.

Lightning
02-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Here's a pic of The Other Guys headers installed on a 5.3L Chevy. As you can see the flanges are HUGE. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/TOG[1].JPG
[ February 10, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Lightning ]

AntRant
02-11-2003, 04:45 PM
How is 5/16" for the header flange? Good?