PDA

View Full Version : Land Rover-Discovery

HOSS
03-23-2003, 10:00 AM
Anyone here ever owned a Discovery HSE? Thinking of buying one. Any pro`s con`s? Not for towing. For wife.

JetBoatRich
03-23-2003, 10:24 AM
I like the vehicle, I was lucky enough to go to England and tour their plant with my dad a few years back. He was a General Sales Manager for them, Rolls Royce and Jaguar so I guess I was hooked after that trip. We also got to go on their test track back there and for your purpose it will handle great. I have done a lot of wheeling in these vehicles, for a stock vehicle do do pretty good. wink

HOSS
03-23-2003, 11:00 AM
What problems are there? I already know do not get the four corner stabilizer system(cornering system). I know a service advisor told me nothing but problems. He also said that the Freelander was a piece. I know they are always 4 wheel drive so mileage is at 14 if you are lucky. I own a Wrangler so this will never go off road. The wife just likes them. I like them also but rear door is small. Hard to get in and out. I just looked at my NADA book and they hold their own. I also like the Expedition and Yukon. But she says too big. BMW 3 series is a possibility but the roads here suck so a sport ute would be my option and kids are in the pic.

Froggystyle
03-23-2003, 05:25 PM
I had a Range Rover "County" a few years back, and liked it. Towed miserably, but did a nice job wheeling and getting my ass to and from work. for a couple of months.
It had an electrical problem that ended up totalling the vehicle. The starter shroud shorted the big "B" terminal and smoked the electrical. I guess it was cheaper to total out and salvage than it was to repair.
I bought my last Ford at that point, and I will never do that again!

skeepwerkzaz
03-23-2003, 10:54 PM
I drove the shit out of a Disco about five years ago. My buddy rented one and we did a pretty hairy 4X4 trail with it (Class 4). We were all into 4Xing at the time and had pretty capable rigs, i.e. CJ's, K-5's, Broncos, and this little Disco blew them all away. Nice leather interior, amazing wheeltravel, great traction with the lockers and the dinky street tires, geared perfectly for wheeling. After a three plus foot deep river crossing and some serious boondockin' we got on the freeway and had the ride of a Mercedes. That Camel Trophy race is not just a sales tool, they actually use these cars to their fullest. I if you can't tell, am a BIG FAN.
:D
X-5's are real nice too!
[ March 23, 2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: skeepwerkzaz ]

miller19j
03-24-2003, 09:43 AM
My wife wants one of those. I am seriously thinking about buying her one. They seem to be comparably priced. My only concern is how long they last. I don’t know anyone that has one so I really don’t have a reference.
The salesman tells me it will last forever. But he would tell me that I am Mr America if it would sell a car.

jet4fun
03-24-2003, 01:05 PM
all i have to say is overpriced british garbage now owned by ford,,,,hmmmm no thank you... as it was once said best in a movie "the british spend more time gluing wood to their cars then they do trying to get them to run good"... is anyone aware of the fact that the jag s class is a ford taurus, and the jag x type is a ford contour... is anyone aware that the new freelander is a ford escape...
if you are looking for a megabuck SUV i would recommend the bmw x5, or the lexus suv's, or the gmc yukon denali (same as an escalade but without the ugly front clip)

HOSS
03-25-2003, 07:48 PM
I know the mileage is horrable. Wife really wants one so I guess thats it. She hates the BMW utes. I wonder about parts, service(not many dealerships), etc. She doesn`t want the Escalade either. Yukon I`m pushing. But the bottom line is what she wants. I just don`t want a piece that I have to work on.

jet4fun
03-25-2003, 08:19 PM
i wouldnt want the escalade either... try to talk her into the yukon denali, or the big lexus suv (i cant remember the name but its the one based on the toyota land cruiser chassis, which is basically like a land rover anyways, i personally think they look a lot alike) the lexus is gonna blow the land rover away on quality...
if you really want the bottom line look at consumer reports, they will also tell you which vehicles are in the same competing class as the land rover...

roln 20s
03-26-2003, 03:47 PM
What about the new Range Rover with a smoother new look? That one looks real nice and everyone and their Mom doesn't have one of those. I want to test drive one bad. The only thing I don't like is the plastic looking intakes on the side- but I can deal. Check 'em out, but a longer wheel base vehicle will be better for towing.
Roln 20s'

HOSS
03-27-2003, 05:40 AM
I`m not ****ing towing shit with the DISCO! I wanted to know if and who owned one and what problems if any. The new Land Rover you are referring to is called a Range Rover and they start at 73k.
Looks like they take the same or average first year hit then hold steady on value. I like it. Black on Black. DVD/TV in headrest and I`m sold. It`s not the biggest thing around.
Yes, I`d rather the Yukon. Wife thinks its too big. She can`t drive it. Women. The single biggest kink in a man`s life.

roln 20s
03-27-2003, 12:43 PM
The new Land Rover you are referring to is called a Range Rover and they start at 73k. Well, at 73K, they can keep it. I can do alot more with my green (i mean the bank's green) than spend 73K on the new range rover.
Roln 20s

Kilrtoy
03-30-2003, 01:07 PM
73K to tow what a jet ski. Ill sell you a honda for 23K that will tow the same and save you 50K

Mandelon
03-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Hoss doesn't want to use it to tow, it will be his wife's daily driver. My friend's wife has one and really likes it. It has a little panache, y'know.
Maybe think about a lease return, the preowned but certified kind of deal so you don't lose the first year's depreciation.

Kilrtoy
03-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Since it's not used to tow, F*^k it, if you can afford it buy it........

HOSS
04-01-2003, 04:34 PM
I`ve thought that mandelon, but this being a 4 wheeler. I`d never buy a used 4 wheeler unless it was just for 4 wheeling. She graduated last may with her doctorate so she deserves it. Not to mention can deffinately pay for it.
I have checked them out and they actually have more room on the inside then you would think by looking at the outside. I`d rather the Expedition but she wants the preppy deal.
has your friend had problems with it?