PDA

View Full Version : new truck/trailer brake question

TOBTEK
05-14-2003, 05:48 PM
new GMC truck coming. Do I need to do anything so the brakes will work on a new Extreme trailer? Truck has a tow pakage from the factory. My ford did as well but they had to add some fuse to make it work correctly....

Super D
05-14-2003, 07:17 PM
No worries - as long as your trailer has the brake plunger/actuator dealy (it should), then you're good to go.

Havasu Hangin'
05-15-2003, 03:57 AM
I wired up my Extreme to my new Chevy...you can get the connector at any auto parts store (you used to have to get it from the dealer).
Just be sure to hook up the reverse lights to the trailer brake solenoid, so you can back up.

TOBTEK
05-15-2003, 05:25 AM
Havasu Hangin':
I wired up my Extreme to my new Chevy...you can get the connector at any auto parts store (you used to have to get it from the dealer).
Just be sure to hook up the reverse lights to the trailer brake solenoid, so you can back up. HH what is the connector called and what does it do? thanks HH, im lame I know.......

Hermosa
05-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Just get one from Extreme, it's the round to flat adaptor, think it's a 5 or 6 pin adaptor.

Havasu Hangin'
05-15-2003, 09:15 PM
TOBTEK:
HH what is the connector called and what does it do? Tob-
I think it's called an "RV 7 (flat) pin connector". You can tell you have the right one because the six outer pins are flat, but the center pin is a round post. It's one of the largest, and has these big wings attached.
I'm pretty sure the trailer lights are as follows:
White- ground
Brown- marker lights
Yellow- left turn signal
Green- right turn signal
Blue- reverse solenoid
Just cut off the 4 pin end that goes to the truck, strip about 1/4" off the ends of the wires, and screw them into the new plug. It'll take all of 10 minutes.
If you use the adapter, make sure the reverse lights are wired correctly.
Good luck.
[ May 15, 2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

Free Agent
05-16-2003, 06:31 PM
I've got the new GMC and an new Extreme trailer.
I have the surge brakes.
The adaptor is a 7 to 5 pin plug adaptor.
It's all you need.
If you ordered the factory towing option on your GMC,, then the 7 pin elect socket is already installed.
Extreme may send you one if ya can't find them:
909-682-5522, or if your boat dealer is worth his salt,, he'll have them in stock already.
You'll probably never change the brake pads on your GMC, the discs maybe after a very long time, but your brakes will last a very long, long time.
This is if you have the 4X4, 1 ton or 3/4 like I do. I don't know about the 1/2 tons.
The Extreme is the most excellent boat trailer I've ever owned. And I've owned a lot of new boat trailers.
If you got the pivit hitch option,, and you pivit the hitch, be super careful when you put the hitch back into towing position NOT TO PINCH YOUR WIREING. A common problem. Simply be sure to tuck the wires smartly and slowly back outta harms way when swinging the pivit back.
-The Turbo Family
(yea,,, that's our real name)
"Those Who Say Money Can't Buy Happiness, Never Had Either One".

TOBTEK
05-19-2003, 10:30 PM
thanks for your replays....it was a plug in and go deal.....nothing needed. Thats always nice. :D

rivercrazy
05-20-2003, 08:23 PM
I have to totally agree with the quality of extreme trailers. Both in build and towability. With the dual disk brakes, my truck stops faster with the boat in tow than without. Sway in non-existant, and the new torsion bar suspension is the shit. No sqeeks, bouncing, or wierd behavior.