PDA

View Full Version : Boat stuff ---> Gotta Haves? & Good-to-Haves?

MagicMtnDan
07-21-2003, 01:18 PM
OK, I admit it, I posted this on the Sandbar but I thought about it and figured that I should've posted it here since it's more on topic in this forum...
Seeing as how most people don't buy many brand new boats in their lifetimes, it's something that can be done right, not-so-right and just plain badly.
Wanting to avoid that I've been checking boat makers' standard product lists and option lists to understand what they offer and what can be added on prior to delivery.
If you were going to buy a brand new custom boat, what items would be:
1. Gotta Haves?
and
2. Good-to-Haves?
For example (some questions):
* Gauges - does it matter who makes them? If so, which brand(s) best and which ones to avoid? And what gauges are most important and which ones are cool-to-have? (ie: GPS speedo? GPS? Compass? Blue water indicators?)
* Trim Tabs - which ones are best? Which ones to avoid? What about mechanical indicators?
* Other stuff - what about billet stuff? What are the must-haves? What are the items that can really make a boat look better? (ie: battery box? Swim step hardware? Seat Bases? How about those trick Dana scissors hatch lifts?)
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/partImages/PH-0010-1.jpg

roln 20s
07-21-2003, 02:14 PM
IMO-
Must haves:
-Great performance hull, quality build,
-A "custom" boat to me means- if I want it, you do it: gel, interior, etc...
-Stereo- atleast cd player and some good speakers
-Cup holders :D and lots
-Custom built billet hardware
-Dual Batteries
-Nice cover and Bimini top
-Pimp custom trailer, with swing tongue (even if you don't need it, whoever you sell it to later may)
-Spare tire
-Swim steps/deck
-Pop-up cleats
-All accessories powdercoated or polished to match
Good to haves:
-Huge stereo
-Hydrolic steering
-GPS Speedo
-Epoxy and diamond plate engine compartment
-a "third" battery
-Dana scissor engine hatch actuators
-Trim tabs if needed, but most boats I see don't seem to need them, so don't get them (put $$ elsewhere)
-Chrome trailer fenders
-A hot chick or two, or three, sitting on the engine cover cruising through the London Bridge
I plan on buying one sick boat, not upgrading every year or so, so I plan on going all out. No expenses spared. Good luck in the boat shopping...isn't it fun.
Roln 20s

Ziggy
07-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Man, I'm going through this same dilema right now. Real close to making a decision. Thinking I'll get another Commander Boat who leaves some of the frills out that the other makers put in. I figure that I don't want half that stuff anyways so why pay for it.
Wife has a few critical wants, one being a nice large enough rear deck to lay on, power hatch, ski locker cabable to hold wakeboards and the built in iceboxes(one min, two a plus) and plenty of cupholders.
I heard the bilit swimsteps are slippery so I'll stay away from those(they look nice tho).
That new scissor hatch lift looks way sweet compared to the other ram type that takes up valuable storage space....and tweaks some lids since they are only on one side.
One other item I know we'd prefer is powder coated white bow rails, much cooler than the stainless when grabbed...but it ain't a must.
Good luck with your search MMD....its a big purchase so a good decision seems manditory in order to make yourself feel as though you've made the right choice. The thing is that so many of the manufacturers are so close in comparison that they begin to run together in your mind. Some may have a cleaner rigging setup, others might have slightly better gelcoats, others have more STD equipment and so on but if you break it down to the hulls many are so much alike that unless you have serious issues with a few MPH it comes down to your likes/dislikes of each model. Which one you feel is better looking, and so on.
Ain't it fun! :D

TRIMDOG
08-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Gotta Have :
1. Top quality trim indicator ie: bluewater
2. GPS speedo (prevents useless arguments)
3. Pop up cleats with pin cleats for bumpers+tie-up.
4. Drive or lower unit, etc. which will handle anything you may want to put to it(now or later)
5. Lab prop(s)- (might as well get the most out of it)
6. Best hydraulic steering available for the application
7. Dual battery setup
Good To Have :
1. Stereo installed at appropriate time during rigging
2. As much billet acc. as you can afford
3. Quality trailer with spare (low profile)
4. Gaffrig gauges
5. Depthfinder is nice if you run a "v" in fairly shallow water (even around launchramps), especially with your lab prop(s) in effect.
6. Hardwired remote for stereo
7. Drinkholders+concealed grab handles
8. Bimini
Go as big as you can on options and GOOD LUCK!

CBadDad
04-27-2006, 07:27 AM
This is an old thread but I thought there was some good info here.
I was also wondering what chnages have taken place in the last couple of years that would change your choices?