PDA

View Full Version : Cryogenics

78Eliminator
10-22-2003, 06:21 AM
So I was reading up on cryogenics and the basic premise that if you freeze metal parts, then bring them back up to ambient temperature, the molecular structure of the metal is compacted and stroger. Kind of like when you pound dirt and compact it before you lay concrete when building a house.
Has anyone done this with their parts? Anyone familiar with the process?

Jordy
10-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Kinda like what they did to Ted Williams, or at least his head right? :D :D :D :D

Blown 472
10-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Or maybe he is thinking of saving his sperm to infect a whole new generation of women??

OLDRAT
10-22-2003, 09:08 AM
Messed with it a little bit as it relates to indexable tooling, etc. for NC machining of high nickel or other exotic materials.
Was a big thing when people started experimenting with it, but now it has died out some in this location of the country. You are
correct 78, it does change the molecules and affects some materials more than others, just like stress relieving or shot peening affects certain materials differently.
In my case, it did show some changes in wear and consistency in tooling (besides screwing up golf balls, mice and cockroaches when dropped in the stuff), but it added an operation to my processes; sending out the tooling after it was purchased for coating, etc..etc. In some cases, the manufacturers of tooling perform coatings and processes to improve the structure matrix before you get them and subsequently tests them for the improvement. That allows me to purchase proven technology and put it directly to use.
I do believe research will continue and don't be suprised if it develops more uses besides medical and manufacturing.
Sorry for being so long-winded.
They probably cyro'ed both Ted's "little and big heads" !!

Infomaniac
10-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Cryo is an extension of heat treating. If you could do both together you can end up with some pretty tuff stuff.
It is just heat treat in reverse.

HOSS
10-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Tried it with my worm. Now, a cat couldn`t scratch it!:p

TIMINATOR
10-23-2003, 07:18 AM
Due to the expense,cryo treating race parts only makes sense if you allready have the best stuff made and need more durability. If not,then spend the money and buy a better quality part to begin with, it is a more cost effective way to go. The reason it died off in our area is because the guy offering the service was treating Eagle and Scat rods,and once everybody firgued out that it was cheaper to just buy Carillos,he had no credibility and no customers,he went out of business in a year. :( TIMINATOR

Slick
10-24-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
There was a guy who used to post here that has a cryo shop set up to do that sort of thing.
He's a friend of jetboatguru's is you need to contact him.
He hasn't been here in a while so I don't know if these #s are good, but:
California Cryo Treating
Gary Mitchell
916-791-9503
www.calcryo.com

beached 1
10-25-2003, 10:47 AM
I had my last crank and set of rods cryo'd by this place.
http://www.hekimianracing.com
Cryogenic Study
The wear resistance of steels after cryogenic treatment is superior to that after cold treatment. The effects of cryogenic treatment on the microstructure were also studied by means of X-ray diffraction and transmission electron microscopy methods. Unlike cold treatment, cryogenic treatment improves the preferential precipitation of fine n-carbides instead of e-carbides. These fine carbide particles enhance the strength and toughness of the martensite matrix and then increase the wear resistance

Squirtin Thunder
10-25-2003, 02:14 PM
I had two engines done, it more than doubled the life.
Engines aren't a good test because I am so good!!!
The real test for me was doing Sawzall blades. I do alot of exhaust systems and on the new cars & trucks they heve stainless, I end up using a couple of blades to do the job now that I have them treated I use one blade on about three exhaust systems. Now thats metal to metal contact.
Check this site out!!!
www.metal-war.com
Contact;
Roger Schiradelly
rgs@megsnet.net (704) 660-3326
Controlled Thermal Processing Inc.

LakesOnly
10-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Thourough cryogenics are performed by first heating the item(s) to 350F, then dropping the temp to -350F and then back to room temp. This is done in temperature changes of about 1 degree/minute...usually computer controlled.
The process restructures/re-aligns the molecules of the item being treated and the results are usually strength and longevity. This includes drill bits, ball bearings, even nylon pantyhose (no more runs when the babe puts them on and hangs on a toe nail).
I know somebody that did a Briggs & Stratton 5HP motor. He said that after the treatment, the engine block machined like T6061 aircraft aluminum.
LO

Just Tool'n
10-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Had a customer tell me about this process about 5 years ago. I thought about doing it on the side, but never got around to doing the research on the aspect of the business.
But it still hangs in the back of my mind from time to time, becuse some days at work are just the shits.
how many of you guys use this type of service, & what does it cost?

C.Fisher
10-28-2003, 06:45 AM
Here is a link to I guess a person who is doing it and is answering questions about it.
http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102920

Liberator TJ1984
10-28-2003, 07:53 AM
I have acess to a 6000 gal. tank of liquid N2 here at work ...
so what if I just throw all my junk in a trash can ,fill it with liquid N2.....and whollla !!! I'm Done ?????;) :confused: :D
Gopherrr

STV_Keith
10-28-2003, 09:40 AM
I've had good success with cryoing brake rotors. Got a Baer big brake kit for my Trans Am and had them cryoed by 300 Below Inc. (http://www.300below.com). They lasted 15 months/19k miles. Without, the next set went 4 months/4k miles.
You can read my full write up with pics at http://www.ws6.com/cryo.htm.

LakesOnly
10-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Liberator TJ1984
I have acess to a 6000 gal. tank of liquid N2 here at work ...
so what if I just throw all my junk in a trash can ,fill it with liquid N2.....and whollla !!! I'm Done ?????;) :confused: :D
Gopherrr
C-R-A-A-A-A-C-K!!!
LO

Infomaniac
10-28-2003, 07:20 PM
I wish it was that easy.
Sounds like it is time from some liquid nitrogen ice cream.
Best stuff you ever made/tasted !!!

Jordy
10-30-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by STV_Keith
You can read my full write up with pics at http://www.ws6.com/cryo.htm.
Dude, you need a few more websites... :p :D

STV_Keith
10-30-2003, 08:13 AM
Heh, not really. But hey, when ya host the damn things, it's easy to thing "hmmm, lemme set one up for my newest hobby." It's been that way a few times now.