PDA

View Full Version : how do you throw a rooster tail?

jboehm
10-23-2003, 08:42 AM
i have a jet-o-vator installed. is it simply by changing the angle of the jet spray?

Danhercules
10-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Thats it. That is also you trim. You put the diverter, (jet-o-vator) down it will put the nose of your boat down. You put the diverter up, you will get the boat out of the water. For the fastest trim, you wanna have the roost about 3 feet high. I can feel the boat accerlate when I trim it up.

HalletDave
10-23-2003, 11:20 AM
For the fastest trim, you wanna have the roost about 3 feet high. I can feel the boat accerlate when I trim it up.
In most cases I would have to agree with this statement, however, I have not found that to be the case with my 18.6 ft 1977 Hallett Mini Cruiser.
Believe it or not, with full up trim my boat does not slow down. It could have something to do with the full strake set-up and the design of the bottom of my hull.
Not my imagination or trying to stir shit up here, just a theory of mine and stating the facts as they apply to my boat.
The picture in the link does not show the full height of the roost but you can see that it is higher than 3 feet above the surface of the water and the boat was not slowing down. Others have witnessed this and can attest to this fact.
Now let's hear from all the non-believers.
http://classicboatbeachbash.com/cbbb03/Dscn2280.jpg (http://classicboatbeachbash.com/cbbb03/Dscn2280.jpg)
Hallett (not makin' up shit) Dave ;)

Danhercules
10-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Well, I would have to agree. I have no proof that says your boat looses speed at max roost. Mine loses a bit. I have heard that a droop can slow you down on some set ups. Soooooo, anything can happen!!!:D :p
HD, As long as you are not singing on stage!!!!!!!!!!

HalletDave
10-23-2003, 11:44 AM
HD, As long as you are not singing on stage!!!!!!!!!!
LMAO
Dan,
It sure was fun though, hangin' out with the "California Girls". :cool:
Hallett (still wonderin' why they haven't called me) Dave :D

Bense468
10-23-2003, 12:16 PM
This is just a guess, but I would have to guess that because your boat is a heavier boat then most 18-19's that it is using the lift to gain speed by freeing up more of the boat. My boat used to free up at about half way between up and down and then if you went full up it would change the attitude of the boat, putting it way to high and it would slow down a little. Your boat is probably draggin ass a little at half way up. Just a thought

HalletDave
10-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Your boat is probably draggin ass a little at half way up. Just a thought
Bense,
Good point. ;)
I'm usually draggin' ass a little at halfway up. :D
Hallett (don't like it when I'm half way up, niether does the little lady) Dave :eek: :D

Danhercules
10-23-2003, 12:39 PM
There are things on the market to help with that draggin thing.
Dan (I know why the CA girls arnt callin HD)hercules!!!!:D

HalletDave
10-23-2003, 12:51 PM
"There are things on the market to help with that draggin thing".
Dan (I know why the CA girls arnt callin HD)hercules!!!!
Too funny Dan. LMFAO :D
Is all this really helping the guy with his original post. :frown: :rolleyes:
Hallett (really didn't mean to hijack this thread) Dave ;) :D

Bense468
10-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by HalletDave
[BIs all this really helping the guy with his original post. :frown: :rolleyes:[/B]
Oh back to him. Well his problem is he is running a ford.
Just messin with you bud. It sounds like you answered your own questions.

HOSS
10-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Bro, that was just wrong.

AZKC
10-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Grab the rooster hold him down, pull out his tail feathers and throw'em.......down wind.
I'm Panther impaired so I have know idea.
KC

Mohavekid
10-23-2003, 03:55 PM
It depends on your set up and which type of trim system tou're running.
If you have a Berkeley Jet-o-Vater on a 1 piece bowl pump, you may need to do some grinding on the bowl to allow more upward adjustment. Then just ry it out until it feels right.
On a 2 piece, just adjust up until it feels right.
As for which height will produce top speed, that's dependent on a number of factors. Just experiment.
Good luck.

mickeyfinn
10-23-2003, 06:54 PM
Instructions for throwing a good roost:
1. Buy a very fast looking boat
2. Screw it up and slow it down by cutting a hole in the back of it and sticking a big nozzle out the back.
3. Put as big a motor as you can possibly afford into it. (kinda like pouring water into a cup with a hole in the bottom)
4. Now the important part. Slow the boat down even more by pointing the nozzle in a direction that is different from the direction needed for top speed.
5. Look behind you and see the great roost!! Watch the rainbow form.....Then look in front of you and see the back end of the v-drive in front of you getting smaller and smaller.:D :D

JetBoatRich
10-23-2003, 07:03 PM
be careful to not shoot people with water that do not want to play that game:rolleyes:

mgar_red
10-23-2003, 09:07 PM
It's like Mohavekid said, you're gonna have to modify the stock unit a bit to get it out of the water. I found this link a while back about just that.
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/files/upstop.JPG
I got a nozzle setup from a F bowl, and was told it was a Jetovator, so I found that link, but it's not the same. The F uses a gimble ring, which you have to grind a little of the arc where the nozzle stops at to let it travel further up.
I didn't see a change in speed after I installed the trim nozzle. Guess my Taylor hull is too heavy to jump up the numbers. But boy did it ever smoothen out the ride, which is why I wanted to have it to begin with.

Squirtcha?
10-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
Instructions for throwing a good roost:
1. Buy a very fast looking boat
2. Screw it up and slow it down by cutting a hole in the back of it and sticking a big nozzle out the back.
3. Put as big a motor as you can possibly afford into it. (kinda like pouring water into a cup with a hole in the bottom)
4. Now the important part. Slow the boat down even more by pointing the nozzle in a direction that is different from the direction needed for top speed.
5. Look behind you and see the great roost!! Watch the rainbow form.....Then look in front of you and see the back end of the v-drive in front of you getting smaller and smaller.:D :D
Hmmmn another case of rooster envy.
Hey that's my picture.
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/files/upstop.JPG