PDA

View Full Version : 460 missing parts??

phegan
10-23-2003, 06:28 PM
Hi guys, I need a little help with my new motor.I picked up a freshly rebuilt 1978 460,but its missing a few bits and pieces.
It doesn't have a flywheel. Can i use a flexwheel?I'm not sure if the motor is internaly or externaly balanced, it has one of those extra balancers just before the damper.(the balancer and the damper are new and were added by the machine shop-rebuilder.)
also i need a distributor,any ideas?
oh, and i have got to fix the oil pan.
I ,m going to make my own pan with an windage tray as part of it. (A stock pan with the bottom cut off and a new bottom welded on)
Have any you guys heard of any one making thier own oil pan.
I'm looking forward to firing this motor up.

460 jus getn it
10-23-2003, 07:53 PM
look on ebay. i got me 460 oil pan for 100 bucks. i have heard of many people making their own pan. what are the casting numbers on the motor that could give you some insite as to if the motor is internal or external balanced.:D :D :D

10-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Post the crank number if the pan is still off. All 460s up thru 78 were internally balanced 79 and later are Detroit balanced. If there is the "cookie cutter" weight on the crank snout then I would be inclined to say it is externally balanced. The crank number usually are something like 2Y, 2YA or 2YB [early] or the late cranks are 3Y, ect. Don't bother with the block casting number as the crank may have been changed.

jboehm
10-24-2003, 05:58 AM
i run a factory single point distributor. not really the best , but it works fine. i like it due to fewer wires .

phegan
10-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eye on ebay(as allways) for a good deal on a disributor or a mallory marine for 139$ new.Do you guy know of a better deal than that? Yea, i'll pull the oil pan tomorrow and get the crank casting numbers. boy this engine is much heavier than my 302. It bent the crap out of the engine stand i have. Got my work cut out for me:idea:

Squirtin Thunder
10-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Is that boats engine coverd? If not you do not have to use marine parts on the engine. Most of the time it does not mean they are restant to water it means it has some sort of anti spark sheild. I use a marine alt on my desert race truck because it helps keep the silt out. As far as the 460 you can use any 351c dist and rockers if you have studs in the head you can use BBC 1.7 rockers and studs to save money. What intake are you going to run? I always suggest the Stealth because it is the best all around unit. They look real good powder coated clear. I tested quite afew before I settle on the stealth. I run one on my off-road race truck I had one on my boat (T-Ram is installed now) and I was able to run in the 70's. I have an extra presolite dist I will sell for $70 including shipping( I pay the shipping). I also have an extra Stealth (clear powder coated) I would let go for $190 (you pay shipping). Timing set are also interchangable I believe. I recomend Ford Motorsport unit because it has more ajustability. If you use anyone elses make sure it is atleast straight up, Not 8deg. retarded.
Jim
Code Blue Racing
jrpm@adelphia.net
(704) 660-3455
(704) 662-2924

blownmoney
10-26-2003, 12:20 AM
If you use anyone elses make sure it is atleast straight up, Not 8deg. retarded.
exactly what he said!!

phegan
10-26-2003, 01:38 PM
i think i have the crank number -2yabc
does that seem right?Well what do you guys think? internaly balanced or externaly? I need to get a ford bb book so i can figure some of this out myself
I am going to use all marine stuff because the engine is below decks.
Thanks again for all the help,this aluminum, jet powered fishing boat,i'm building is going be the envy of many around here.The hull is almost complete and i'm just finishing up the fit-up of the pump intake. the pilot house is to be welded up this winter,meanwhile she is a center console with a bimini.
:confused:

phegan
10-26-2003, 01:45 PM
jim, is that prestolite a marine dist and mechanical advance?
padraic

10-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Your 2YABC is an internally balanced crank unless its been rebalanced by an outside shop. Thats the problem when buying someone else's project. If possible go back to the shop that built the engine and they should be able to give you the complete run-down on what they did. If it was balanced by an outside source usually they will have a balance "card" on file and there should be a number stamped on the crank somewhere for referencing that particular balance job. A few years ago I bought a crank from a fellow who didn't know any history on the engine that crank came out of. I found the balance number and called the shop who did the job and they still had the card on file after 26 years. Confirmed what I thought about that crank, an internally balanced 428 Ford FE crank.