PDA

View Full Version : what boat

cmbracer
10-24-2003, 04:00 AM
Hi all I am new to the forum, and jetboating.
For many years I have been sailing, and building RC boats!
But now I feel the need to get alonge for the ride..;)
I live way over i Denmark, not many jetboats around!
Therefore I don't know anything about what to look for in a good boat.
I don't need to go very fast 75-80 mph should do it.
The boat should seat 4-5 people, look fast and sleek and handle rough water. (rough water 2-3 ft. chop)
One problem in Denmark is the gasprices, being around 4,5$ a gallon.
Hence, the bigger the better does not apply.
Moreover parts for both engine and pump, could be diffecult to get a hold on.
I saw this 1991 Eliminator Formula, in the classified here on ***boat.com, that might fit the bill.
It looks the part, but I have no Idea about the rialiability of a blower engine.
Any input would be greatly appriciated.
Any boats for sale?
Regards

Jungle Boy
10-24-2003, 05:37 AM
Are you sure that you want a jetboat? A "sleek, fast, 80 mph" jetboat that will ride nice in 3 ft chop and be good on gas may be hard to find. I'm no expert on lake boats, but in order to run 80 mph, the jetboat will need to be fairly light weight and that will really effect the 3' chop drivability.

cmbracer
10-24-2003, 08:04 AM
Good on gas comes third!
Speed 75-80 mph first!
Then the chop bit, as it's suppose to be a fun boat, for nice weather only.
But unfurtnatly the place, where I'm likely to be doing most of the boating, often has 2-3 ft. chop.
Give me all you got:D
I'm up against my brother, who's going the outbord way. But I'd like something a little more raw.

Jet City
10-24-2003, 12:37 PM
My first question is, what kind of budget did you have in mind? As JungleBoy stated, jetboats burn a ton of fuel, if fuel economy is any concearn, I think I would look at other drive systems. I know many will flame this opinion, but for your application I think I would look into V-drive or I/O boats in the 21' range as they are more efficient drives. For Example my uncle has a Hallet 22' daycruiser with a 350 Chev and Volvo/Penta outdrive that should do 75mph with a 380 hp engine (build underway), that same boat with a jet it would probably require 550+ hp to reach that speed. If your bent on a jet (nothing wrong with that
:D ) I would think a 21' Eliminator Daytona would be a very nice choice.

HavasuDreamin'
10-24-2003, 12:38 PM
To handle 2' - 3' chop, you are probably looking at a 21' tunnel. To hit 80mph you will most likely need around 550hp (not sure exactly) or so and the right pump set up. All I can say is that a 550 horse big block is going to eat through lots of gas very quickly. :( At $4.50 a gallon, I would buy stock in the oil companies. You will be supporting them. :p
I think you brother might have the right idea. :rolleyes:

Jet City
10-24-2003, 01:06 PM
That Eliminator Formula hull design is identicle to the more common Spectra 19'. I think a 21' Eliminator Daytona would handle the 2-3' chop you mentioned much better. As JB stated, jetboats are fuel hungry beasts, if fuel economy is of any concearn at all, I'd think about a different drive system (V-drive, I/O). On a typical day at the lake I will burn between 15-26 gallons of gas.

Squirtcha?
10-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Holy crap! I'm pissin and moanin about paying $1.80 per gallon.
As much as I love my jet, and I'm sure owning one in Denmark would garner lots of positive attention..................You may want to reconsider the drive thing, as the others have suggested. An OB and lightweight hull will run like hell. It may not have all the pizzazz of a big block, but they get up and go and won't break the bank doing it.

Jet Hydro
10-24-2003, 03:13 PM
I`v got a real nice next to new but old 16ft O/B <---yuk :( that has a 115hp merk on the back that will go most of the day with a tank of fuel and run 68 mph that I`v had in 4ft chop <--- not a good Idea by the way--- but you could own this nice clean boat for 2500.00 :) Hey it`s good on gas.....
:D

cmbracer
10-25-2003, 01:54 AM
I know the jet unit is less effecint than a surfesprop. Somewhere I was told up to 30%.
But a big two stroke outboard is also less fuel effecint than a fourstroke.
The outboard may not burn 30% more fuel hp for hp, compered to a 4 stroke.
But if its anywhere near - then I might aswell get the jet V8 combo
:cool:
Moreover I don't know of anyone(here i Denmark) who dosen't, ruin a prop now and then.
This also favor the jet!
I hope you guys understand I am not gonna run the boat anywhere near topspeed in the 2-3 ft. chop!
This capabelity is just for getting home, without getting beat up!
Do you think I will have to lower my wish for speed?
(Boisejet claims 100+ mph with 600+ hp, 21 ft. Eagle)

LVjetboy
10-25-2003, 02:48 AM
I'd keep the speed and lower the chop. Run week days. Check forecast winds. Hang around the marina if things kick up. Whatever it takes. I run Lake Mead in a 19' low profile. Mead's one of the biggest and deepest lakes in the states...big water at times.
Just depends on your priorities and budget of course.
jer

Jungle Boy
10-25-2003, 04:34 AM
Do you think I will have to lower my wish for speed?
(Boisejet claims 100+ mph with 600+ hp, 21 ft. Eagle)
This would be a 2 seater bare bones race boat. It would not be a very comfortable pleasure boat. It is the same boat as my avitar. No room for a cooler & babes.

BigBoyToys
10-25-2003, 05:22 AM
This boat is still for sale. Seats 5, does 75 mph and handles rough water nicely (for a jet boat;) ) $5500.00
http://www.pritek.net/jb.jpg

cmbracer
10-30-2003, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the input!
Nice boat Big Boy..
But after surfing the net, like a mad man:D
I belive a sprintboat or whitewater jet is more up my alley!!
It won't seat more than two, but that is a comprimise I willing to make. (the girl dosen't like boating that much anyways)...
I'm going for the hammer down all out fun machine:cool:
This is where I need some info on the above mentioned boats..
Jungle boy, or any of you, have you got any info, I should know of?
Am I way off in the woods?
Is such a boat to extreme/expencive for fun boating?
I know it depends on my budget. I have see those boats at around 10.000$ and that is not to bad:(