PDA

View Full Version : Firebird crash

hydro066
10-25-2003, 05:05 PM
Scotty Lumbert ("Public Nuisance" fueler) crashed this afternoon after going through the lights. The capsule separated from the boat and barrel rolled across the island. Thankfully, the lid stayed intact (rescue had to cut him out). The steering shaft supposedly punctured his leg, but otherwise he appears to be ok.
This is second hand info - don't try to nail me to the cross if any of it is incorrect.
John

hydro066
10-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Ok guys,
How did I get this avatar. I don't have one and don't think I really want that one (bad for my puritan image).
How do I get rid of it?
Thanks,
John

Screw loose
10-25-2003, 06:46 PM
You go back and change it.

Lookin for Liquid
10-25-2003, 07:48 PM
All information is correct as far as the crash, he was going thru the lights and the rudder failed, dug in the sponson and shot the capsule out of the boat at 215+ across the island. Picture info is that he was approx 50ft in the air

BigBoyToys
10-25-2003, 07:52 PM
His et and mph were 5.15 @ 216

CircleJerk
10-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Wow, that's a ride.

AZKC
10-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Just got back, Scotty's boat is a mess, hear say is he's doin allright just beat up pretty bad, it was quite a ride :eek:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/57ihba2003finals0089-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/57ihba2003finals0087-med.jpg
Took them awhile to cut him out of the capsule
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/57ihba2003finals0090-med.jpg
Looks like no way somebody should walk away from something like this, but more or less he did :)
KC

1Bahnerjet
10-26-2003, 02:54 PM
LUCKY Driver, How 'bout the Sign;)
FOR SALE
Slightly Used
Some Assembly Required
Best Offer
------
Thats BANNER with an H

126driver
10-26-2003, 07:53 PM
True dat. Absolutely devastating. First pass of the day, right after the national anthem. I was standing on top of a motorhome with V-Drive and UCLAhater and it started directly in front of us, right when he threw the chutes. Ran a 5:16 or 5:17, I think. Haulin' the mail. Clean, awewome pass. JG has the whole thing on tape. The boat vaporized and the capsule went up in the air and landed on the island, bounced a couple of times on the dirt and went over the other side of the island. Holy shit and thank God the driver is ok. We were scared shitless for him. Seemed like it took forever, but I hear he eventually stood up and walked from it when rescue got the capsule to the beach. :eek!:

flattie
10-27-2003, 04:59 AM
Saw the whole thing! That was pretty emotional

flattie
10-27-2003, 05:45 AM
They have the whole story and a short video of it at dragboats.com
Flattie

Lady Rat Attack 1
10-30-2003, 09:22 AM
We were at the finish line to wash the boat after our pass when this whole thing happened. When he lost the rudder the boat slid sideways and the flipped. When i saw the capsule going end over end , I can not even describe what I was feeling. Thank God he is ok with only bumps and bruises. ALWAYS REMEMBER SAFETY FIRST. Amazing when the safety features work that someone can come out of this with only bumps and bruises. By the way, A real BIG THANKS to all who bid on the silent action for the RESP. They raised at least $33,000. :) :D

Nstigator74
10-30-2003, 05:42 PM
I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that they moved the props to far forward and water pressure started peeling the blast plate off the bottom of Scotty's boat. Either way I'm glad he's going to be O.K.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-30-2003, 06:05 PM
In my tape (he crashed right in front of me) it looks like the rudder failed. Maybe the blast plate took out the rudder somehow!?!? I guess at 215mph anything is possible.:confused:

fastvdriver
10-30-2003, 07:14 PM
not sure what went first the blast plate or the ruddar the crew seems to think that the blast plate pulled away from the hull, the one side was ripped at the bolt holes while the other side was still in one piece? I'm just glad that Scott was ok they were keeping him in the hospital over night they had found 2 broken bones in his back one of them seemed to be from the last time he hit the beach. but he was doing just fine and they thought the flight nurse was the one who gave him the black eye (HA HA) quote from the crew.:cool:

CircleJerk
10-31-2003, 09:33 AM
What amazes me is that rudder coming off! I was there a few years back with Jimmie D and we witnessed Jim Faulkerson's twin prop hydros pass in the 4's and the rudder left the boat! The engine blew at 1000' and the boat just glided to a straight stop! Obviously there was more to this crash and I'm glad the driver walked away! Hi Jeff, how did your boat run?:D

fastvdriver
10-31-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by CircleJerk
What amazes me is that rudder coming off! I was there a few years back with Jimmie D and we witnessed Jim Faulkerson's twin prop hydros pass in the 4's and the rudder left the boat! The engine blew at 1000' and the boat just glided to a straight stop! Obviously there was more to this crash and I'm glad the driver walked away! Hi Jeff, how did your boat run?:D
didn't run at Firebird just went to watch. the boat is running good though at the last Dexter race tried to run the 9.00's and keep running those dam 8.30's at 133 MPH what a ride the boat just wants to go fast may have to spin the blower a little more and just run the 8's.

Kurtis500
10-31-2003, 06:27 PM
I chatted with Roger Way after the wreck and he said they were confident the blast plate caused the wreck. It ripped out and left the bolts still in the fiberglass.