PDA

View Full Version : How close can you run headers to the deck?

malcolm
10-25-2003, 07:27 PM
I just tried out my newly "adjusted" header tonite. It's an inch away from the rear deck. Will it burn the gel?
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/testfit1.jpg

DansBlown73Nordic
10-25-2003, 08:03 PM
That will never work. I had a set of headers on my Stevens. They were six inches away and burned a spot.

Jungle Boy
10-25-2003, 09:00 PM
I've ran them like that on my beer can boat and it burnt the paint.

Infomaniac
10-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Make shorties out of them man. Way too close as is.

1Bahnerjet
10-26-2003, 06:55 AM
Are you runnin' Water thru them? You can run enough Water to keep the end of Pipe Fairly cool But then that cause's a Whole other set of Problems (water in motor:( )
-------
Thats BANNER with an H

Mohavekid
10-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Those are way too close, and unless you run a lot of water thru them, you'll burn the gel for sure.
Running a bunch of water thru them has it's own set of problems.
If you're set on running the headers, you could try some of that heat reflective tape stuff to protect the gel.
Some Bassetts for a v-drive might work as they have a higher up angle to them which might get them further away from your deck.
A cut and weld job at the collector might work too.
Good luck

Clown
10-26-2003, 07:13 PM
OOOOOH BOY
I could really have some fun with this one!
But I will only give one suggestion, It won't work unless you have the headers supported , and some sort of water being run thrue them..:)

malcolm
10-27-2003, 08:25 AM
I don't know why everyone assumed I was going to run them dry? I'm going to take it off and go back to the drawing board.
Clown, thanks for restraining yourself. :rolleyes:

hack job
10-27-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by malcolm
I don't know why everyone assumed I was going to run them dry? I'm going to take it off and go back to the drawing board.
Clown, thanks for restraining yourself. :rolleyes:
spend once and cry once . i know lightings are pricy but they are great and work great on my spectra 19 there was no way i could run the bassets either. so i wne the other way plus the lightings are so much nicer ( no worries) just my two cents;)

superdave013
10-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Mohavekid
Some Bassetts for a v-drive might work as they have a higher up angle to them which might get them further away from your deck.
Nope, v drive headers will make it worse. Jet headers have more of an angle.

Keithb87
10-27-2003, 09:56 AM
I saw some headders on e-bay today. Just search for " Jet Boat".
You get some other junk but the headders come up too.

LakesOnly
10-27-2003, 06:41 PM
I'm having no problems whatsoever with the proximity to my rear deck:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Headers_Profile_Edit.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Headers_Rear_Edit-med.jpg
LO

cyclone
10-28-2003, 02:48 PM
my dry stacks are maybe 1.5-inches away from the deck and i've never had a problem with them burning the gel. The gel gets too hot to touch but it doesnt burn.

malcolm
10-29-2003, 08:05 AM
I think I'm going to do some more customizing. I'll get it up to two inches and try it. This is only going to be a test run, but if it really works good I may be forced to leave them on there. :D