PDA

View Full Version : Convert Jet to V-Drive

Picklefork
10-26-2003, 08:44 AM
Has anybody out there converted their jet to a drive?

DansBlown73Nordic
10-26-2003, 08:52 AM
I see one guy over here getting smart.....:wink: :D

Moomawnster
10-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Smart ? see Just Jets ...."hit rockbar and damaged impeller, rudder" ........then do the math for repairing a V $$$$$$:eek:
HehHeh just messin ..... YOU KNOW I love em all !
Moo ........

Squirtcha?
10-26-2003, 09:04 AM
I'm always up for a project, but why not just buy a v-drive to begin with?
I believe v-drives are pretty particular as to where the motor mounts front to rear and where the propeller ends up under the boat. It'd be difficult to find proper placement for everything especially since it wasn't designed for that type of drive to begin with. At least with a factory rigged boat, most that will have been thought out when it was built.
You can find rigged hulls without a motor (if you've got one for it)or even rigged hulls with a motor that's nothing special and work from there.
Just my thoughts on the subject.

DansBlown73Nordic
10-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Brother Moo you should be in my Avatar skiing behind the Schiada.;)

Picklefork
10-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Well Squirtcha, my buddy has a big, beautiful cruiser, well maintained. He loves that boat, knows it, inside and out. It rides really well and so he was wondering about a conversion. Just in the thinkin stage right now. We were just wondering what kind of project this would be.

superdave013
10-26-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Picklefork
We were just wondering what kind of project this would be.
A huge one.
What kind of curiser is it? I ask because where the underwater gear is placed is very important. If it's a hull that was never offerd as a v drive you will be stabbing in the dark as to where your putting things. Would really suck to get it wrong.
Another thing to think about is the cost. I bet you could buy a boat for what all that hardware will cost you.
prop 700.00
rudder 150.00
rudder stuffing box 50.00 or so
v drive 2,500 or so new
shaft log I donno what new ones go for but his could be a used on
cav plate hardware 1,500
strut ?
prop shaft more $$$$ then you think
drive shaft shouldn't be to bad
transmission ?
One off rail kit for the engine and trans more $$$$ then you think
All the fiberglass and gelcoat work HUGE $$$$$ if you don't do it yourself.
All the shit I can't think of right now 1,500 +
I say a project like this should be done to a basket case boat. Not a nice one. Once you start glassing and cutting on it you will pretty much have to repaint it anyway.

dmontzsta
10-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Moomawnster
Smart ? see Just Jets ...."hit rockbar and damaged impeller, rudder" ........then do the math for repairing a V $$$$$$:eek:
HehHeh just messin ..... YOU KNOW I love em all !
Moo ........
oh no, it is the famous comment from a jealous jetter. the chances of that happening are SLIM, how about sucking crap into your jet pump?

Jet City
10-26-2003, 01:13 PM
I agree with Squirtya? and the V-drive guys, you'd be miles ahead of the game to just buy a different boat already rigged for V-drive.

lilrick
10-26-2003, 05:50 PM
i just recently changed brands of jet drive and that was enough for me,but i can't imagine your proposal! Listen to these other fellas and buy a hull with a broken motor or one that is taken apart. You'll be happier!

blownmoney
10-26-2003, 06:58 PM
kinda on the same subject , but to differ a bit whats up with the conversion kits i've seen advertised , basically turning the jet into a drive with an external prop, think i've seen em in ***boat?, any one have one ?

Moomawnster
10-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
oh no, it is the famous comment from a jealous jetter. the chances of that happening are SLIM, how about sucking crap into your jet pump?
..................I clean out the intake .....:rolleyes:
Obviously you don't care what I wrote you just want a scrap, but jealousy is not possible for me because , as I wrote "I love em all". However , If you would like to quote the cost of repairing your v-drive after demolition on rocks..... no matter how "slim" the chances.... OR you give advice about how to make the conversion from jet to V you will be contributing to this thread .... otherwise ... :rolleyes:

Moomawnster
10-27-2003, 03:42 AM
So as to avoid editing my previous comments I will add, DON'T RUIN A PERFECTLY GOOD BOAT ! as these guys say , you will spend more $$$$ and have less boat than if ya just go buy a V ..... If I could I would have em all..... OB ,I/O, jet ,hovercraft, kayak , pontoon , Hell I'll go WADING , just get me on the water ! :p :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/139Eagles_fly.jpg

riverbound
10-28-2003, 06:35 PM
I had a buddy that recently bought a schiada jet and looked into converting it and it was going to run in the neighborhood of $7000(using used parts). needless to say he is still running a schiada jet.

AZKC
10-29-2003, 06:48 AM
Arneson surface drive, very cool
Web Site (http://www.arneson-industries.com/drive_sizes.htm)
http://www.arneson-industries.com/images/Donzi.jpg
KC

Squirtcha?
10-29-2003, 07:33 PM
I had a buddy that had the Blackhawk surface drive on a 24' Warlock tunnelhull. He was running a naturally aspirated BBC and it took forever to get on plane. No way you could pull a skier with it. I know this for a fact, because he drug me waste deep for about 300 yards and couldn't get me out of the water. I got tired of hanging on. Granted I'm no lightweight at 225 but I do ski quite a bit.
It was o.k. once he got on plane (without a skier in tow, naturally) but nothing spectacular.
He ended up selling it and buying a Bravo and putting an 871 blower on his motor. It's possible that there was something lacking in his setup, but that was his experience with it.
I think he found out later that there was something he could've done hardware/setup wise to help it out, but he never got the chance.
Do you know the guy that owns this one AZ? I'm curious as to whether he had any better luck with it.
Doh! just noticed the picture's from the pages advertising the thing.

Picklefork
10-30-2003, 08:49 AM
Hey Squirtcha, sounds like you need to learn how to jump start.

AZKC
10-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Do you know the guy that owns this one AZ? I'm curious as to whether he had any better luck with it.
Doh! just noticed the picture's from the pages advertising the thing.
:D
If I had the coin sitting around I would do one just to see what it was like. If I didn't like it, it would make a hell of a blender:p
KC

Squirtcha?
10-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Picklefork
Hey Squirtcha, sounds like you need to learn how to jump start.
No docks or rafts where I ski. My buddy isn't willing to let me stand on the bow of his boat with a ski on, and it's a long ways to the no wake buoys from shore too. We considered starting me behind my buddy's jet then have the tunnel along side and switch over to his rope (something I'da done in a heartbeat 20 something years ago). We didn't though. I reckon we'll just stick with our skijets.