PDA

View Full Version : Charger Ticket Guarantee ??

Mandelon
10-27-2003, 12:37 PM
In San Diego, the Chargers play in Qualcomm stadium. The City Council, in its infinite wisdom made a guarantee to the team that if they don't sell out every game, the City will buy the extra tickets. There were other negotiations, but this is an issue with many San Diegans.
Now that the NFL Monday Night Football game is being moved to Tempe, and tickets are free, what will happen to the formerly sold out game here in San Diego? Refunds will be given to ticket holders. Does the City and the taxpayers still have to pay the Chargers for the sold out stadium? 60,000 seats that will be empty????

hd&boatrider
10-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
In San Diego, the Chargers play in Qualcomm stadium. The City Council, in its infinite wisdom made a guarantee to the team that if they don't sell out every game, the City will buy the extra tickets. There were other negotiations, but this is an issue with many San Diegans.
Now that the NFL Monday Night Football game is being moved to Tempe, and tickets are free, what will happen to the formerly sold out game here in San Diego? Refunds will be given to ticket holders. Does the City and the taxpayers still have to pay the Chargers for the sold out stadium? 60,000 seats that will be empty????
great question Mandelon......I don't live down there but have many family members around the area. Maybe that is why the game is free in Tempe :(

Ziggy
10-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Free tickets would be the only way to fill that Stadium in Tempe overnight---I'll be interesting to see the outcome of attendance at this game...sheesh, we wait 6-7 years to get a MNF game and then it goes east(as apposed to south)....bummer for Junior(55) too:(

fourspeednup
10-27-2003, 12:58 PM
I walked past the guys camped out today to get to class here in Tempe. I doubt it will "sell out" though. I'll head over around kick off and probably walk right in. Look for the tall, skinny, drunk kid with the DCB hat doing stupid sh!t to get on TV. We're making some signs later tonight, maybe even doing a little body painting, oh yeah...ain't college life fun?:D

summerlove
10-27-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
I walked past the guys camped out today to get to class here in Tempe. I doubt it will "sell out" though. I'll head over around kick off and probably walk right in. Look for the tall, skinny, drunk kid with the DCB hat doing stupid sh!t to get on TV. We're making some signs later tonight, maybe even doing a little body painting, oh yeah...ain't college life fun?:D
You better be rootin for the BOLTZ!
To answer mandelon's question, I can't imagine the Chargers holding the City to the guarantee for this game. As a long time San Diegan (25 years) and a long time Charger fan (24 years), the amount of bad publicity they would get from the community would be horriffic if they made an attempt to squeeze the city on this one. For every bit of good publicity they've been getting (not too much) it would go out the door if this were the case. Can they be that stupid???? Unfortunately, I wouldn't put it past em...

Dr. Eagle
10-27-2003, 02:43 PM
I do remember the scandals or what seemed like scandals in San Diego when I was living/working there. It was on the news many nights out of the week...of course that was when Ryan Leaf was QB...
RE

CEO
10-27-2003, 02:45 PM
The worse part of all this is our wagers on that game are now
"No Play", says the bookie. Son of a bitch. Now the line is
Miami -6.5

Seadog
10-27-2003, 02:54 PM
I thought I read that the city asked them to move the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they did ask for the money because of that.

Dr. Eagle
10-27-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Seadog
I thought I read that the city asked them to move the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they did ask for the money because of that.
Nobody says the Chargers Front Office handles PR well...or is particularly smart...(as he mentions Ryan Leaf again) wouldn't put it past em...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ROZ
10-27-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
Attendence is like 55k or somthing...
I still haven't seen some skinny drunk kid do something stupid to get on TV, yet :D

fourspeednup
10-27-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm heading out right now! Give me 20 min to either get kicked out or get on TV....probably option #1 :D :D

Mandelon
10-28-2003, 08:54 AM
Attendance was 73,000 people at SunDevil stadium. They donated $200,000 to the people of San Diego for Fire relief.
Congressman Duncan Hunter's house in Pine Valley burned down.

JetBoatRich
10-28-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Attendance was 73,000 people at SunDevil stadium. They donated $200,000 to the people of San Diego for Fire relief.
Congressman Duncan Hunter's house in Pine Valley burned down.
Good news about the money, won't replace all that was lost. But every dollar helps