PDA

View Full Version : Jeep or Manx?

Mandelon
10-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Some of you guys know I have been casually looking for a decent Manx type dune buggy for a couple of months. But perusing the trader I noticed that some of the late 80's Jeep Wranglers are about the same price as the decent buggies.
What do you think? Our main uses will be the desert roads around Borrego, fire trails and maybe Ocotillo. Need to carry the family and be street legal.
Pro's and Con's?????????:confused:

Dr. Eagle
10-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Some of you guys know I have been casually looking for a decent Manx type dune buggy for a couple of months. But perusing the trader I noticed that some of the late 80's Jeep Wranglers are about the same price as the decent buggies.
What do you think? Our main uses will be the desert roads around Borrego, fire trails and maybe Ocotillo. Need to carry the family and be street legal.
I have a newer wrangler a 2000 TJ Sahara. The beauty of the wrangler is that the aftermarket stuff for them is plentiful. The other beauty is that the 4.0L I 6 has tons of torque. Also the gear train is readily available in the junkyard if you need to replace a F/R axle or transfer case. Just my .02

MagicMtnDan
10-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Jeep!
You can buy just about any part new and used for a Jeep. And you can modify it to your heart's content. Plus more places can work on them.

FastTimmy
10-27-2003, 05:06 PM
I think the jeep is the way to go if they are now in the same price range. Just do not get the four banger. They are terds...

Dr. Eagle
10-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by FastTimmy
I think the jeep is the way to go if they are now in the same price range. Just do not get the four banger. They are terds...
Yes you are right on...get the 4L engine, the 4 banger is pretty useless...

Ziggy
10-27-2003, 05:34 PM
The Manx is the classic--gotta get one of them babies! V-dub parts are a dime a dozen. Nothin' says "cool family" in the desert like the Manx.. Make sure you get one with awesome Bass Boat like paint job:D
Personally, I'd love to have one of those VW "Things"...then you'd have a jeep like deal with removable doors and such, mix and match parts...how fun would that be??:cool:

Mandelon
10-27-2003, 07:21 PM
The Things were pretty cool and is actually on the list. They are pretty heavy though and won't climb as well. I'm thinkin' the Jeep can get us up and down some of the cool canyon roads out there.
So no good on the 4cylinder, any particular years to watch out for good or bad??

mtndewdrops
10-27-2003, 08:10 PM
I vote for the Manx, it has a lower center of gravity for less chance of a rollover. Less ground clearance may deter you from going too bonzai...VW's are easy to work on and pretty reliable. Jeeps are cool, but I don't care for the short wheel base...like riding in a go-cart.
Good Luck

TCHB
10-27-2003, 08:14 PM
I bought a Jeep and am very happy with it. It has power brakes, power steering and a good set of breaks. It is a lot of fun in the desert hills and I can still launch my boat if needed.

JetBoatRich
10-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Dune Buggies are cool, I have taken mine in all kinds of terrain. Never have the back end stuck. TIf you do get stuck, grab a friend and just lift the thing out. Easy to work on, cheap parts, etc.

H20 Party Starter
10-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Mandy buddy.............you need to Pm me your # Just in case.....
I might have exactly what you are looking for (street legal manx low in your price range) very soon if the old guy will part with it. I have 3 rails and a baja-bug project right now so I won't have $$$ to get it. You got first dibbs
Try to push a jeep through sand when it doesn't work........not happening.
4x4= more weight and more problems. Smog issues!
More $$$ in tires, shocks, registration, insurance, gas etc.
VW's are SOOOOOOO cheap to fix. My guy at VW's ONLY on Magnolia in Sante/El Cajon is the BEST shadetree mechanic I've ever seen. He lives in a vw junkyard with every part to every bug made in the 50-70's. He is the owner and sole operator of the business and works/sells parts CHEAP!
A new rebuilt block and heads is only $499.....slap on your dist, coil, carb, and alternator and it's only 4 bolts to the tranny. Can't do that in a jeep
;)
If you aren't going to be rock crawling..........get a buggy!
MHO
Josh;)

HOSS
10-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Dude I`ve always owned a Jeep. I`ve had 2 of the coilspring generation. A `97 Sport with hardtop and a `99 Sahara with soft top that I now currently own. They both leak(ed) water on the passenger floorboard and Chrysler can`t fix it. Rearends blew, exhaust manifolds crack, etc.
Listen to someone who ones one. BUY THE ****IN` DUNE BUGGY!
I`ve always wanted one. A few friends of mine are Shriners and my friend Rick builds the buggies for them. They are a kick in the ass. One day I will get one. Dune buggies are cool. Chrysler sucks mule penis.

Dr. Eagle
10-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by HOSS
Dude I`ve always owned a Jeep. I`ve had 2 of the coilspring generation. A `97 Sport with hardtop and a `99 Sahara with soft top that I now currently own. They both leak(ed) water on the passenger floorboard and Chrysler can`t fix it. Rearends blew, exhaust manifolds crack, etc.
Listen to someone who ones one. BUY THE ****IN` DUNE BUGGY!
I`ve always wanted one. A few friends of mine are Shriners and my friend Rick builds the buggies for them. They are a kick in the ass. One day I will get one. Dune buggies are cool. Chrysler sucks mule penis.
Ok I hear all of that, but how do you REEEAAALLLY feel??:D

HOSS
10-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Chrysler sucks mule penis.

Dr. Eagle
10-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Oh, sorry I guess I missed that the first time...

Dr. Eagle
10-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Unlike Hoss, knock on wood I have not had any serious problems with my jeep. I love my jeep.
That being said, I would also love to have a manx. but there is limited toy storage space here at the Dr. Eagle HQ and I am not paying for storage anywhere else. So I keep the boat, skis and jeep. Sand rails and quads will have to wait until I can buy that 10 Acre palace with a 10 car detached garage...

Mandelon
10-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Hoss, you are so cute when you are upset. :D
Leaks are from the heater core?

OGShocker
10-28-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
We bought a 91 Jeep Wrangler for a tow car. 6cyl automatic, hard top, AC...ect.. we paid around $5500.00 usd or $300.000 Canadian dollars:D We flat love it!
I am also looking for a MANX to put our turbo motor into. Last time we ran it in a MANX we were turning 10.5 in the 1/4 mile!
For what you want I would have to choose the JEEP. Stay with the 6cyl / Automatic. You might pay a bit more but it will be worth it.

OGShocker
10-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Here is our Jeep.
http://www.theoldgeezers.org/jeep.jpg

OGShocker
10-28-2003, 09:30 AM
I found a picture of HOSS' Jeep taken in the aftermath of the sucking mule penis experience. A word to the wize HOSS, NEVER SUCK AND DRIVE! J/K :D :eek:
https://webspace.utexas.edu/rwormald/pictures/Jeep/Wreck/mini-004_04.jpg

Ducatista
10-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Don't buy a Manx type buggy if you plan on some real off-roadn', not if you value your life. The roll bar set up on most of those is a joke. They are good for going to the store for bread and looking stupid. Stick with a real off road machine that will protect you and passengers, whatever that might be. My friend lost his nephew when he rolled a cheap manx type buggy, there is very little protection on those machines. A good desert racer or sand rail or properly set up Jeep is a safer way to go. Just my .02

HOSS
10-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
I found a picture of HOSS' Jeep taken in the aftermath of the sucking mule penis experience. A word to the wize HOSS, NEVER SUCK AND DRIVE! J/K :D :eek:
https://webspace.utexas.edu/rwormald/pictures/Jeep/Wreck/mini-004_04.jpg
Real good
Og but thats a ****in` Cherokee,,,,,dumbass!

HOSS
10-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Here`s the piece of shit.
I advise if your gonna get one buy used. Don`t get the automatic or the 4 cyl. My `97 had the hard top but took 2 people to get it off and on. Get the fullsized doors and make sure you get Dana 40`s under it. This `99 has the same water leak. Took carpet out and threw it in the trash. Don`t get ABS.
It come from the evaporator core. They removed it sprayed undercoating raround firewall and it stopped for a while. `97 sat int he shop for 3 months straight and they still couldn`t fix it. **** Chrysler. I told them don`t spend all that money in one place cause you ain`t gettin` no more from me,,,ever. And if I can help it from any one else.

HOSS
10-28-2003, 12:01 PM
This is how they tried to fix it. Ignorance for 23k!

OGShocker
10-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Real good
Og but thats a ****in` Cherokee,,,,,dumbass!
So, you were sucking a Mule Penis, just not in a Cherokee? You forgot to mention your jeep is white not red. That you are not a thin teenager. Nor have you ever mentioned that you lost your sense of humor..... Cracker!:D

HOSS
10-28-2003, 12:14 PM
`97 was red, `99 obviously white.;)

Dr. Eagle
10-28-2003, 12:16 PM
I'd be the first to tell you that the Jeep service guys here suck, or at least are far from perfect. I just haven't had to use them much...;)

ROZ
10-28-2003, 01:01 PM
http://www.go-desert.com/classifieds/carlos1.JPG http://www.go-desert.com/classifieds/carlos2.JPG http://www.go-desert.com/classifieds/carlos3.JPG
But I kinda like this:http://www.go-desert.com/classifieds/MikeSutter1.JPG
There's a lot of stuff on www.go-desert.com

Mandelon
10-28-2003, 01:16 PM
Sure Roz, I like that too, but I bet its $20,000. My budget is under $4000. Don't forget my whiney little kids and the prissy wife.
:D

ROZ
10-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Know all about the prissy wife THING... That THING is cool. I'd love to have someTHING cool like that to cruise aroung the beach or someTHING:D
The add:
FOR SALE (9/12/03) : 1973 VW Thing, Desert Car
1973 VW Thing. Desert car, 8 point cage, PRP buckets with matching rear bench seat, all seats mounted to cage, full safety harnesses, Socal Imports Pre-Run front fenders, Wider FG rear fenders, Bikini top, cut and turned front end, adjustable torsions front and rear, KYB shocks, new steering box, new brakes front and rear, aluminum wheels, new AT tires, 1915 c.c. engine, Compu-fire trigger, Weber Progressive carb, VDO oil temp and pressure gauges. Have original bumpers and gas heater. The car starts, runs and stops great. Other projects taking priority. $5,800
Contact e-mail mjsutter@cts.com or call Mike 760-788-6696 (located in Ramona, CA)