PDA

View Full Version : Old Rigger.........Little help here?

Squirtcha?
10-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Which Tahiti is this?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1183tahiti_15.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1183tahiti_14.JPG

old rigger
10-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Squirtcha,
I've been looking for one of those for about 20 years, that's the 'Toad'. I don't remember what the real name was but that's the name my dad and the other riggers tagged it with.
They took a little 16 and cut it apart in every direction and built that hull, 21 foot. If I remember right there was also a 19 version too. There use to be one in the south bay here in so cal, I think in Torrance or Redondo, and I use to take my wife by it and show it to her. She just shook her head.
Jake Gilbredth of Gil Marine fame use to race one of these in off shore races sponcered by Schuster back in the day. Use to have the 'Tahiti' logo blazing down the side of the hull. I can remember seeing the boat in some of the mags of the day that covered the races, and thinking it was pretty cool that they were racing it, and that my dad worked there. Must have been about '69 or '70, somewhere around there.
One of the owners of the old Speciality Marine use to have one too, but he cut the deck off, put on some kinda cabin, and made a fishing boat out of it. It was real ugly, uglier than the toad was stock.
I'd still like to have one. As you can imagian, looking at that Vee, they rode pretty well in the chop.
What's the story with this one? Is it for sale?

Squirtcha?
10-27-2003, 09:31 PM
I remembered you talking about the toad. Figured this might be it. I'm not sure what the story is on it. A guy wandered into the RJB message board and put up the pics and asked if anybody knew anything about the boat. I knew that if anybody did, it'd be you. Here's a link to the post. Not much info there though.
RJB message board post entitled "Rare Tahiti look" (http://www.realjetboats.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl/YaBB.pl?board=news )
When I saw the pics, the first thing I thought was Hmmmmn mini offshore jetboat!

old rigger
10-28-2003, 08:19 AM
squirtcha,
I checked out the link to RJB. That boat's a long ways away from where I live in so cal.
To be honest, after reading your post over there, I wasn't a rigger at Tahiti, my dad was. I was just a yard lizard, bilge rat, whatever you want to call it, I was mainly in the way. Just cleaned molds, cut wood, sand molds, little glass work, shit like that. Just something to do after school and on Saturdays. I thought it was very cool to hang out, even for a little while, and watch these boats being built. When I was 10 or so, I thought it was a monumental amount of work to build a boat and got a big buzz outa watching my dad take a bare hull and put it all together. They were pretty basic boats back then, not many options, but it was cool.
I didn't rig until I went to work for Roger at the end of the 70s when Hawaiian went tits up.

dmontzsta
10-28-2003, 10:29 AM
old rigger are you available this weekend?

Squirtcha?
10-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Sorry for giving out incorrect information. I actually figured that out after I responded to that message in my usual quick draw style (if you can call it a style). I was going to make the correction and spaced it out.
I started thinking about our ages and realized that would've been a little before your time. In any case, you're still the best source of Info I've found (especially regarding Tahiti) and lots of other classic glass, so don't sell yourself short.
I appreciate the response. Did ya ask the guy what was up with that? Just curious as to why he wanted the info.

Heatseeker
10-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Old Rigger, did you guys put a mark(like your dad's intials on the ID tag on Diggler's boat) on the Roger's hull somewhere, when you rigged them? Where you there(Roger's) in 79? You may have told me before, but I think I'm getting a bit of CRS disease!
Sorry to highjack your thread Squirtcha!

Squirtcha?
10-28-2003, 06:08 PM
No problem John.

old rigger
10-28-2003, 06:53 PM
squitrcha,
yeah it was before my time as far as working there but I was hanging out there for no other reason than I thought it was about the most bitchin place on earth as a 10 year old. It was almost a cool as being at Disneyland. It sure smelled better. To this day I love the smell of resin.
I didn't reply to the guy over at RJB. I've never signed on there and figured you'd post that stuff up.
Heatseeker John,
No, over at Rogers we didn't sign the boats. Roger knew every boat and buyer by heart. Really he did. He built a fraction of the boats that Tahiti, Hawaiian, Eliminator, Hallett, or most of the other guys. The reason we signed the boats, was for warranty work. We all worked piece work so they usually made you fix your own screw ups. It was totally different working for Roger compared to the other places. Not as much money, but it was alot of fun. I started there in '79 or early 80. I'd have to look it up in my old crap to be sure. It was right after Hawaiian went down.

Heatseeker
10-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the info, OR. One of the reasons I scooped up this Roger's of mine was the way you hold Roger in such high esteem. I know that the boat was built right, not in a hurry.
You may have worked on mine too, it's a 79 TR.

likwidsukr
10-28-2003, 07:43 PM
Hey gus this is the guy who posted at RJB I bought the boat 2 weeks ago from a guy who bought it at an auction. It had a BBC in it he wanted the engine I guess. There is not as many jets out here as there is in CA and AZ. He did not know what he had . I have never seen one like it. It had original color of blue with silver metalflake. I have not made up a title yet. The registration says ie: TAHI 77 21' 392SUD TAH18.....273 I Thought if the serial # ended in numbers that was the year made?

likwidsukr
10-28-2003, 07:56 PM
oldrigger can you make a picture to desribe the way "tahiti" was down the side of the racing "toad" In their honor I would like to duplicate that design on my boathttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1183tahiti_14.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1183tahiti_15.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1183tahiti_11.jpg

old rigger
10-28-2003, 07:57 PM
yeah that would be Feb of 1973.
Man it's hell getting old. I sure don't remember that boat being built at the shop as late as 73, but judging from that #, it sure was..........I thought it was retired as soon as the 21 spectra came out, which Tahiti quickly splashed. That was in '71 and I got a pic of that one.
Maybe someone fudged the numbers. I can't for the life of me remember that boat being built that far into the 70s.
Shit, maybe I liked the smell of resin a little toooooo much.

old rigger
10-28-2003, 08:07 PM
likwidsukr,
that's an easy one. They just took the Tahiti emblem, tiki head and all and had it painted down the side of the boat. Maybe 4 or 5 feet long, between the front seats and about 2 feet in front of the transom on each side.
Of course that's how I remember it in my own little world!!!
If the emblems are gone on your boat, check out Roostwears website for a great sticker of what they looked like. You can pick up a Tee shirt too! Sorry for the plug for this guy, but it's pretty cool that he's doing that.
If thats a keel fin in the second picture, its way to far forward and will cause the boat to bow steer. Needs to be moved back to where the trailing edge of the fin is about 50 inches in front of the end of the boat.

likwidsukr
10-28-2003, 08:54 PM
It is not a keel it is a bucket to show size of boat @21' it is pretty neet. I will check out roostwears and see if i can get a look at the sticker, I'f you find out any more on this type or anything related please let me know
Thanks OR

Squirtcha?
10-28-2003, 09:01 PM
www.Roostwear.com (http://www.roostwear.com)

Squirtcha?
10-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Damn

likwidsukr
10-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Yeah I did a search and nothing on Roostwears But the link was good THX

Jim Brock
10-29-2003, 11:19 AM
I have a customer that has one with bbchevy Ls7-berk , it beats most daycruisers, it's a fast hull and rides good, it's kinda ugly but a sleeper, it's yellow, we call it the banana boat, Jim Brock

likwidsukr
10-30-2003, 06:01 PM
oldrigger I registered the "toad" today it is confirmed a 1973 Tahiti 21' do you think that it is possible to find pictures of the boat from the racing days? Where could I start to look.
PS Thank you and squirtcha? for the help on this and anyone who has posted. These forums are part of what makes me want to restore a once rare and different boat from an awesome boat builder!!!!

blown428fe
10-30-2003, 07:09 PM
Old Rigger or anybody - i have a 68 18-ft wieman that i bought 9 years ago. the pump was set all the way in the boat and just the nozzel stuck out the back. about 4 yrs ago i moved the pump and motor back about 15"s. why would this boat have been rigged that way?

old rigger
10-31-2003, 06:47 AM
blown428fe
That's the way they were rigged in the begining, just the nozel sticking out past the transom.
Heres a funny little story, the very first v-bottom, a Tahiti built by Dick Schuster and Roger Weiman, was rigged the same way. It'd never been done before, there were flat bottom jets already out there but no Vs. They were rigged with the same intake placement. These guys didn't know what the boat would do, how it would handle, how fast and so on. They installed a dual carbed, 427 Ford in between the stringers and took it to marine stadium for its first launch. No interior yet, just a couple of lawn chair screwed to the floor. When they got there, the place was fogged in, couldn't see past the end of the boat, but they launched anyway and buzzed the stadium. They thing worked, as we all know now, like a charm. The boat was raced under the Tahiti banner, and it hauled ass. There was no class for jets yet (duh) so they raced brackets with it, it ran just a hair under 70. Not bad considering the pump placement.
When Roger was at the first drags with the boat, the v-drive guys and outboarders, for the most part, had never seen a jet drive before and when he fired the thing up, they all scattered fearing flames were going to be shooting from the 'jet'. He won his class, again and again, and the little Tahiti, and jets, really caught on.
Wish I had just the engine that was in the boat. Got a 428 FE now.

victorfb
10-31-2003, 09:16 AM
hey old rigger. Thats a way cool story man. damn i envy the experience and knowledge you have. why hot boat hasnt hired you to write a few stories for the mag i have no idea. but then again, i get to read em here for free.:D
i also have a question for ya. do you have any of the rogers brochures that would show color schemes and such? as you know i am restoring a 1975 18' boniville, and would like to see some of the color options and schemes that were available at the time. (retro look).
and anytime you feel like going down memory lane, please remember that some of us here absolutly love hearing about em. Hey hot boat! are you listening? hire this guy!:D

superdave013
10-31-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by victorfb
and anytime you feel like going down memory lane, please remember that some of us here absolutly love hearing about em. Hey hot boat! are you listening? hire this guy!:D
If Old Rigger would just write that friggen book we've been bugging him about he would sell a ton of them. Do you think he would still remember us when he got on the top 10 sellers list?

old rigger
10-31-2003, 09:54 AM
Victor,
Where the HELL have you been man???????
Lori and I were worried about you guys and the fire. Called your cell a few times over the last coupla days, but no answer. We were thinking the worst. Glad your OK.
We're kinda sweating the fire too, we have a place in the mountains. I wanted to go up there and grab some stuff that was my dads, Lori didn't like the idea of me going up there, and now the place is under mandatory evacuation. Oh well, it's just stuff.
No, I don't have anything from any of the shops I worked at through out the years. I wish I had been smart enough to have grabbed something for every model, but I didn't. You can find lots of layouts in old adds from the old Power boat mags, hot boat, trailer and performance boat. There were lots of them.
Spectra Brent has an add that I'm waiting to get my hands on.
When Spectra did a layout featuring Playboy bunnies with their boats, Schuster, who had already splashed the 21 Spectra, did an add with a model , in a swim suit, that weighed about 300 lbs sprawled across the deck. The Tahiti had the playboy bunny logo painted on the deck and I have pictures of that boat in my dads driveway. He called it the 'Boss 21' and we were the first ones to use the boat at the river. The model didn't tag along. I had completly forgoten about that add until Brent told me he found it in a mag. I'd love to see it again and I hope Brent can scan and post it. I want it as a screen saver or background thing on my computer.
Schuster................... the guy was the ultimate salesman. Very funny guy too.

10-31-2003, 10:20 AM
O.R. I keep tellin' ya...get an agent and solicit the publishers...and do a coffee table type of book on the history of the hot boat...and get lots of pictures for those of us who need pictures.:D

victorfb
10-31-2003, 10:24 AM
hey thanks for the concern rich. we are ok here. the fire from camp pendelton skipped over us here in fallbrook. but the scare has really got me wanting to do alot more fire clearing to the property. sorry i didnt get your calls, i almost allways have the cell on and near by. i was stuck in orange for a while as my back went out on me last sunday so i wasnt able to get on here.
thats terrible about your scare up there man. let me know if you want to go up there and try to retrieve your stuff. ive got the duelly and a 24' flatbed with 3' rails that we can load up if you want. i am more than happy to help you out man. any time. please dont hesitate to ask. i wont be much help lifting and carying obviously, but i have no problem driving the truck and trailer up there. give me a call man... (760) 723-8029

hack job
10-31-2003, 11:55 AM
if you guys like or storys there are a couple over on www.classicboatbeachbash.com that he has told may times i tell him that any time he wants to write them down ill post them on our page. i love reading his stuff! and Rich like i said if you need help , please ask i would gladly help out. ;)

old rigger
10-31-2003, 02:44 PM
Victor,
Just glad you guys are OK. This is some scary shit.
Thanks for your offer, Vic and Hacker, it means a lot, but there's no way to get up there now, and I wouldn't want to put anyone in harms way just for that stuff.
Hey Vic, we'd be quite a team trying to get stuff outa there, if you know what I mean.

superdave013
10-31-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by old rigger
Victor,
Just glad you guys are OK. This is some scary shit.
Thanks for your offer, Vic and Hacker, it means a lot, but there's no way to get up there now, and I wouldn't want to put anyone in harms way just for that stuff.
Hey Vic, we'd be quite a team trying to get stuff outa there, if you know what I mean.
My inlaws had to leave big bear. They are staying with us right now.
It's hard to imagin the fire going that far. But I've spent more time in the woods up there then most and it's not only dry as a popcorn fart. But those damn bugs killed almost all the friggen trees. Some forset service guy was telling me earlier this summer that it's so bad that the pins could go away and it would go back to oaks like it was 1,000's of years ago. And then he brought up a fire and was sayin how bad it would be. Guess he was right.

victorfb
10-31-2003, 07:56 PM
yea rich, this IS some scary shit for sure. and very tradgic. i sure hope your place up there is ok. and please dont hesitate to call me. id be more than happy to help in any way and at ANY time. maybe they will open the roads so you can get your stuff out. yea, we would be quite a pair trying to get the stuff ourselves, but hey man, ill try. i think ive got a couple chain saws here too if you have some dry trees right next to the cabin/house. from what ive seen on the Tv, alot of them homes may have been spared if there was a clearing around the structure. youd be amazed on how much that helps. with not only the heat and fuel, but the firefighters would be more willing to use the clearing as a fire break and devert the fire. ok ok, im getting carried away here on it. but its a thought. like i said man, please dont hesitate to ask. and that goes for anyone else reading these posts.

likwidsukr
11-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Anyone else seen one of these??????
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1183tahiti_15.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1183tahiti_14.JPG

waterslinger
11-13-2003, 09:42 AM
Good looking boat when will she hit the water??

likwidsukr
11-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks I'm not sure I'll keep pics posted I'll call it (THE TOAD PROJECT)

dizzyspots
10-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey Old Rigger...just got a 16ft Tahiti w/ 115 Evinrude...but no info on data plate except sn#12602
Any help to what year it is?
Any info on capacities: weight, HP # of person (the data plate was never filled out)
cheers Mike in Tucson

old rigger
10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
No idea as to the year. I've got a '68 16 Tahiti and the # is 12434.
Check the engine ID number and run that, if it's the original motor, it should get you in the ball park.
A picture wouldn't hurt either. :)

likwidsukr
10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Rich I sold this boat and I am kicking myself in the ass!!!! I am trying to get it back. I am in Florida now and It was sold to a guy in Roanoke Virginia. I REALLY want it back bad. LOL The 22' Offshore "TOAD"

old rigger
10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
There's a toad for sale in the bay area now on craigslist. I talked to the guy the last time he had it listed and he's since come down a bunch in price. Sure would like to get one of those ugly bastards myself some day.
A guy in AZ has/had some old Tahiti molds for sale about 4 months ago. I asked him for some pictures and he kept promising them to me but they never came. I was thinking how cool would that be to come across the toad molds...well, it'd be really cool to me but I'm guessing I'd be the only one at that party. lol

Goad
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
A guy in AZ has/had some old Tahiti molds for sale about 4 months ago. I asked him for some pictures and he kept promising them to me but they never came. I was thinking how cool would that be to come across the toad molds...well, it'd be really cool to me but I'm guessing I'd be the only one at that party. lol
i was wondering what happened with that lead....bummer it didnt pan out for ya.

likwidsukr
10-03-2007, 03:35 PM
There's a toad for sale in the bay area now on craigslist. I talked to the guy the last time he had it listed and he's since come down a bunch in price. Sure would like to get one of those ugly bastards myself some day.
Shit. Imagine that ol Toad with a 600 hp and an Arneson Surface drive. Nice Vhull. Used for the offshore races for Shuster, just a stretched 16.

old rigger
10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
They actually did race one off shore back in the day. I use to have a few pictures of it but they're long gone. And I remember a few shots of it in one of the mags back then too...big ugly toad out hoppin' across the ocean with the big boys. lol Jake Gilbreth who owned Gil marine drove it. I don't think it ever did much, I don't remember at all how it ever placed, but it was cool. Oh, it was a jet too. :)

jet guy
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Old rigger I have an 68 tahiti what was the mark your dad put on his boats

@theRVR
10-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Old Rigger,
It seam’s that you’ve worked for Rogers Custom Boats; I’m looking for some advice for some repairs (stringer). Can you, or who is still around that can do GOOD repair work on a Rogers?
Sorry for thread jackin

likwidsukr
12-08-2007, 05:34 AM
Old Rigger,
It seam’s that you’ve worked for Rogers Custom Boats; I’m looking for some advice for some repairs (stringer). Can you, or who is still around that can do GOOD repair work on a Rogers?
Sorry for thread jackinNo thread jack here This is an old post:D