PDA

View Full Version : winter storage in the water

steve paull
10-28-2003, 10:50 AM
I have no choice but to store my v-drive boat in my slip on the river. Looking for ideas to prevent any freezing in the gear box which is raw water cooled. I know what to do with the big block motor, but have a concern for the drive box. Any suggestion's?

bilgewiper
10-28-2003, 01:27 PM
I am not sure about your weather extemes. My 36' I/O powered houseboat has been left in the water in N. Ca (a few lows of 26-28 degrees f. is not uncommon) for 27 years with no problems along with all the rest of the boats at the marina. We never winterize. The warmer water that is flowing on the bottom of the hull keeps bilge warmer than outside air. Even though the deck will get frosty, bilge is running a little above temp of the river. Although I will admit to having left a light on in the bilge when weather has been predicted to be "freakish" cold around 22-25. (maybe only 3 times in last 10 years)

DaveA
10-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Disconnect the cooling water lines to the Casale (if that's what's in it) and drain. Get an air tank and blow them all out if you can. Do the same with the log manifolds if that's what you got, too. Drain the block and take the cover off the cam driven water pump, too. Don't forget to drain the oil cooler if so equipped. But you know all that already, right?
It's tough to winterize a small boat that's staying in the water. Is the hull painted or is it gelcoat? I'd be concerned about blistering in either case, if it hasn't already occurred.

FlatStupid
10-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
man, i donno. I'm scared to leave a boat in the water over night. Dave I'm with you, 2 hours and I'm lookin for Acceptance!!:D :D

FlatStupid
10-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
man, i donno. I'm scared to leave a boat in the water over night. Yeah and he keeps whin'in about the air fare:D :eek:

GofastRacer
10-28-2003, 07:46 PM
I won't leave mine in!.:)

Thunderbutt
10-28-2003, 07:59 PM
I put mine up on the lift in the winter @ LOTO. Drain the water from the motor and v-drive and blow it out. Some people here put in that pink shit that they use for RV's. I wouldn't leave it in the water, v-drive boats have too many places to leak.

bilgewiper
10-28-2003, 08:51 PM
Now come on guys.......(please take this in jest), your starting to sound like weenies. Been to any coastal or Delta city marina lately? $500,000+ boats are the norm. They all have the same underwater gear as our fun "little fast toy boats" times two. "V" and direct drives are the drive of choice to leave in the water. Even big sail boats have direct drives with props so expensive to make your pocket book burn. Blisters are totally hit and miss situation depending on the boat. Most of my boats have never blistered (I have left them all in the water). My current one's gelcoat blistered in 3mo. even faster than some that I have actually painted.

GofastRacer
10-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Hmmm, another reason not to leave it in the water!.. :D :D :D

blownmoney
10-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Now come on guys.......(please take this in jest), your starting to sound like weenies. Been to any coastal or Delta city marina lately? $500,000+ boats are the norm. They all have the same underwater gear as our fun "little fast toy boats" times two. "V" and direct drives are the drive of choice to leave in the water. Even big sail boats have direct drives with props so expensive to make your pocket book burn. Blisters are totally hit and miss situation depending on the boat. Most of my boats have never blistered (I have left them all in the water). My current one's gelcoat blistered in 3mo. even faster than some that I have actually painted.
most of those 500k boats yer referreing to arn't 30 yrs old and sit a foot and a half above the waterline! if my flatty was only worth 2500 its not staying over night!! imagine having to dive 20 feet in that cold ass water to get your rig!!,, no thanks!!.. he better invest in a dry suit!!!!

blownmoney
10-29-2003, 12:04 AM
I have no choice but to store my v-drive boat in my slip on the river
can't you park your boat wherever your parking the trailer?