PDA

View Full Version : Rockitman Rocks Havasu

Rock-it man
10-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Guess ya all want to know how the speed run and interview with ***boat mag went in Havasu last week. By the title you should be able to guess.the adrinalin is still pumping from the speed run Thur morning.we got out on the lake about 10am ,Warlock25 acted as a safety boat.the first run I only did 127 mph but discovered the NOS did not work,so after correcting the problem which was only the arm switch I made another run and would you believe 137.1 mph and there was a lot more as it was still pulling hard but ran out of waterwith a little more room I know it would have run 140 + mph as I only ran the NOS for 4 seconds at 100% power I had the 300 pills in it.So thats 137.1 at 6500 rpm,32 lab 4 blade prop.The water was like glass thur befors the wild card run on Sat so I know I lost a little speed there .only made that one run and was saving the boat for another run at the wild card run sat but the wind came up and could not run out the with the winds at 50+ mph even the chopper ahd a rough ride.Never been in that kind of water there were holes that would swallow this datona 26 I saw 6-7 ft waves it was like being offshore.I know now that this datona 26 will easly run 145+ and handle like a dream,it showed no bad habits at that speed ( 137) so I dont expect any at 145 +.The goal is to break Elims record of 144 next spring so its off to the shop to freshen the motor for next spring.I havent heard of anyone with a bravo drive boat running 137 in a 25-26 ft single eng boat have anyone else ????had a great time at havasu and looking forward to going back next spring for that 145 mph run,anyone want to watch !!!! ROCKIT MAN

mbrown2
10-28-2003, 10:02 PM
Rockit,
That is flat hauling ass.....how was it behind the canopies at 137...no big deal? .....good luck in your quest...:)

Rock-it man
10-28-2003, 10:48 PM
The ride was no different than 100 mph ,with the canopys its very hard to tell the speed ,with no wind in your face you feel very secure !!!!,when your way away from shore and no wind theres no referance to go by,just the GPS ,I just have to be very carefull as I think you can get a false since of security in this boat it tracked so perfect and had no bow rise at all it was a great ride !!!!! and im looking forward to the next time. I did discover that at Havasu I could cruise at 4500 rpm at 105 mph the air must have been just right that day !!! ROCKIT MAN

Craig
10-29-2003, 06:17 AM
Congrats on the new speed mark :D Now be careful:eek:
Craig

Reaper1
10-29-2003, 08:19 AM
I havent heard of anyone with a bravo drive boat running 137 in a 25-26 ft single eng boat have anyone else ????
Rock-it man - Congrats on your run. I know you were trying to break 130mph and you accomplished that and then some. The only other bravo style I know is Steve Columbe in an HTM at 144mph in a 24' boat.;)

bigq
10-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Thats fast man, you are wearing your Lifeline and helmet right?;) Good luck on beating the record. Need some Video.:D

Robbie Racer
10-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Rock-it-man, Congratulations on an awesome run. Greg Shoemaker told me that Bill Auberlin ran 138 in his Pro-charged Carrera 257 last year but I haven't seen any official documentation of that run. Good luck in your quest for the record. Be careful. R/R

HP350SC
10-29-2003, 08:57 AM
Holy sheeeit Wayne! Great numbers! Looks like the bar has been raised for Shasta next year. Are you still running the same blower and intercooler? Or was that all from nitrous? That boat sounds stable...I know you were running pretty flat before.

Mr.Havasu
10-29-2003, 09:55 AM
It was awesome to watch. Boat was completely stable!
See you next spring and good luck with your winter activities.

BiggusJimbus
10-29-2003, 09:59 AM
He's is more specifically running an IMCO 4X4.
At least he was, I presume he still is. Hasn't broke it yet that I have heard.

Rock-it man
10-29-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Holy sheeeit Wayne! Great numbers! Looks like the bar has been raised for Shasta next year. Are you still running the same blower and intercooler? Or was that all from nitrous? That boat sounds stable...I know you were running pretty flat before.
Still using the 1471 blower and superchiller which now is for sale.She ran 127.3 at 6000 rpm motor only the other 10 mph came from the NOS.the boat ran as flat at 137 as it did at Shasta at 122mph so I know it will run 145+.I never felt the NOS hit only when I looked down at the GPS did I realize how fast I was going ,thats when the adrenalin kicked in what a rush .I NEED to do that again !!!! but now have to wait for spring.The boat may be in the Portland boat show in Jan waiting to here from Power Boats NW.Still have my sights on a Skater 32 though maybe for 2005 !!!!!Will be up for the Portland Boat show maybe can see ya there will be there fri & sat . ROCKIT MAN

acatitude
10-29-2003, 06:29 PM
great numbers rockit. see ya at shasta. mmmmm pretty hefty hieghts to aim for now.

hulshot
10-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Way to go Rockit, I am glad to see the secret weapon worked well for you. Why are you tearing it down now? If it is runnig so well why mess with it. This sucks because now robbie racer and I have to step it up alot now for Shasta, oh well that is a year away still. I can always put more stereo in it, will that help any?
Hey Keith I will get the prop to Mark at the prop shop soon and does the lower unit work for you? If not do you want to sell it to me if it will work on my boat?

mbrown2
10-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Rock-It,
If you are selling the blower and intercooler, what are you planning to put on? Quad Whipple?
Mb

hulshot
10-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Hey Rockit, how much blower boost did you run on the motor before the NoS and while on it?
hey where is the video of Shasta??????????????????????

Essex502
10-30-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Didn't the HTM guys run 143 with a bravo "style" drive?
Great #'s Wayne!! You should definatley be proud!
RD
I thought it was 149.9? :(

Rock-it man
10-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by hulshot
Hey Rockit, how much blower boost did you run on the motor before the NoS and while on it?
hey where is the video of Shasta??????????????????????
Was running 12 lbs boost,dont know if it went up as I had my eyes elsewhere when I hit the button.I was at 125 when I hit the NOS and never felt the hit ,I realized it was working when I looked at the GPS and it said 132,then looked at the shoreline in front and when I glanced down at the GPS again it said 137, thats when I backed out of it a few more seconds and I know it would have run 140 ,but as this was my first time in this boat at 137 I was cautious and the shore was comming up very fast.Now I know how the boat handles I will stay in it next time I run . Tearing down the motor to refreshen and check all the parts will be changing a few things ( Im not telling what ) other than the blower will be a PSI next year. My 1471 is for sale any takers make me an offer !!!.Want to be able to hit 140 without the NOS next year so the PSI is the only way to get there. The Video is so shaky becouse of the digital zoom and we were so far away its really no good ,Need a cameraman for the next CAT ATTACK .. ROCKIT MAN

Rock-it man
10-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
In there 30' er they hit a self proclaimed (but I believe it) 155mph, and were shooting for 160 the next day when the accident happened.
I believe (not 100% but pretty confident) that the fastest single engine / bravo style HTM ran 143. Eliminator came along later and ran 144 claiming the title to the fastest single engine Bravo Cat.. although it's debatable on whether or not there's was "bravo style." ;) Either way though, the Eliminator breaking that 143 record is where I'm basing my believe that the fastest HTM was Steve's @ 143.
RD
Wasnt the HTM a 23 ft special rigged boat,elim did 144 in a 25 ft cat with a special light layup and a monster quad rotor motor .maybe I should be asking about 26 + ft single eng cats as I weigh aprox 7000 lbs and I have an imco 4x4 drive that they call a bravo style drive.weight is a big issue as my boat is a standard layup and the motor is something anyone can buy or build.Its hard to compare everyones claim to fame all I know is what I can do and I did luck out and have water that was like glass that day ,its easy to go back and bench race after the fact..If anyone else has ran 137 mph in a 26 + single eng cat that is simular in weight and size wish they would step up to the plate.I know comparing my boat to the one Elim ran 144 is not comparing apples to apples but need to beat there claim to 144 just the same for my own satisfaction.and I WILL DO IT next spring !!!!! MY boat will be in the Portland Boat Show the first week in Jan 04 at the Power Boats NW booth in Portland Oregon for you guys further up north to see. ROCKIT MAN

BADBLOWN572
10-31-2003, 09:47 AM
Robbie, when Bill hit the 139 mark (I heard 136, but either way it was moving) he was at Elsinore in heat. That lake is at least 4-5 mph slower than Havasu. I would bet that if he took that boat up to Havasu in Jan-Feb when it is nice and cold, he could hit 140+ without a bottle. He has the boat plummed for Nitrous too, but he said that it is pointless to do it because he will grenade the drive. Don't forget two things #1 his boat is an open bow, #2 his boat is a standard layup which is much heavier than yours or mine. Just imagine the possibilities of that motor in another boat that is a closed bow and a lighter layup.

Rock-it man
10-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
Robbie, when Bill hit the 139 mark (I heard 136, but either way it was moving) he was at Elsinore in heat. That lake is at least 4-5 mph slower than Havasu. I would bet that if he took that boat up to Havasu in Jan-Feb when it is nice and cold, he could hit 140+ without a bottle. He has the boat plummed for Nitrous too, but he said that it is pointless to do it because he will grenade the drive. Don't forget two things #1 his boat is an open bow, #2 his boat is a standard layup which is much heavier than yours or mine. Just imagine the possibilities of that motor in another boat that is a closed bow and a lighter layup.
He can run the NOS without any drive problems if he uses what I do.buy a programable progressive system from summit set it to hit at 10% power at WOT and for it to take 5 sec to get to 100% power then use at 100% for no more than five more seconds , works great I had it in a Nordic Rage with an imco drive and now on the Datona 26 with the 4x4 drive and have had no problems ,you cant even feel it or hear it hit when done that way. What kind of boat was Bill in ??? ROCKIT MAN

Robbie Racer
11-02-2003, 09:25 AM
BB, good point about Bill's accomplishment at Elsinore (not the best place to try and set speed records) with his heavy lay up, open bow boat. That is an awesome motor to get that boat to go that fast at Elsinore in the heat. I wonder if he would loan it to me for a couple of speed runs at Havasu this winter? :D I think Rocket is right about the progressive nitrous system being not too hard on the drive. I think that system was developed for drag cars so that they didn't blow the tires away during a run. It should work well as to not "shock" the drive during a speed run on a boat.
Rocket, Bill has a Carrera 257 like mine but with open bow and a standard heavy layup. It probably weighs close to 1,000 lbs. more than mine and is less aerodynamic with the open bow. R/R

BADBLOWN572
11-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Robbie, It was proven that the open bow caused somewhere around a 7-8 mph difference on identically equipped boats with same power. A lot of it has to do with the weight of the extra interior & wood in the front and aerodynamics (this was with a base boat comparison I am sure the impact is much greater with a 100+mph boat). I would venture to say that if Bill's boat was a closed bow and was a light layup, he could probably be somewhere near 150 mph with the existing setup. His is also a pleasure boat with probably 500lbs of stereo equipment inside. I would not want to go as fast as he is currently running in a boat that size, just imagine if you took everything out, closed bow, hookup the nitrous, and a light layup. Definitely a speed record right there.

Rock-it man
11-03-2003, 05:14 PM
So does this mean that ole BILL is the man to beat and is ROBBIE now going to have to play second string !!!! Ill be ready for all takers come next spring hehehe !!! So come one and all !!! my boat is getting dialed in --can you tell --my EGO is getting bigger !!! Just wait till I crack 145 then my head will really grow !! Hull Shot taught me not to trust anyone so its alls fair in the quest for SPEED ! ROCKIT MAN

hulshot
11-05-2003, 08:34 PM
What do mean dont trust anyone, you just dont tell them everything. Rockit, I want to sell my ride this winter, so keep your ears open up there for anyone looking for a slower boat than yours. If it doesnt sell than I will just have to step it up for next years festivities.

Rock-it man
11-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Hullshot,What do you want for the boat ,I will be at the Portland Boat show in Jan if you make some flyers there a place to post them.What are you going to get will probably sell mine in fall of 2004 as I NEED a bigger boat with twin 598s and a gas ststion !!!now that ive proven that the secret weopen can work so well everybody will be going there ,I still cant believe it worked for you without breaking the drive ,I think the real secret it setting it to come on easy and how long it takes to hit 100% power otherwise theres going to be a lot of broken drives.maybe I should add it to the PSI blower just in case one of you guys get close to me hehehe !!!!Will also be comming down to the LA boat Show to check out what I want for my next boat !!!! ROCKIT MAN

hulshot
11-06-2003, 10:57 PM
I would like to get 79k or so. I think it is very well worth it. I will work on some fliers and send them up to you. Pm me with your address. Thanks.

RACER52
11-07-2003, 04:12 PM
QUITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You better not sell, we were just starting to have fun.
I better hurry up and finish so we can get some pics of me chasin you.
I believe all the electronics(ecu etc.) were oredered today and the engine might be done in less than 2 weeks.

Rock-it man
11-07-2003, 04:36 PM
HullShot dont you even think about quiting,he just wants a faster boat to catch me .If I have to slow down just to keep you comming to the lake I will !!!bu only a little hehehe !!!!maybe we should tell everyone how SLOW his boat is and no one will buy it.How bout this you keep the boat and get another job to pay for the house !!!!who needs sleep anyway !!! or better yet get the wife another job !!! hehehe !!!! ROCKIT MAN

hulshot
11-08-2003, 11:14 PM
The wife job thing will go over like a fart in church. I am not a quiter. I dont have to sell I just would like to to make my life easier untill I get settled into the house. Then I can start over. I will start small then grow just like I did before. I know a few people that may be willing to give me a ride in a bigger cat.

Rock-it man
11-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Riding is not the same as driving !!!!!!and a BAYLINER is just not going to cut it !!!! Less sleep and more work = faster boat !!! hehehe !!! ROCKIT MAN

hulshot
11-11-2003, 11:00 PM
I already dont get much sleep, and who said anything about a bayliner. trust me the next boats wont go slower they may just be smaller. I love speed. cant get enough.

Rock-it man
11-12-2003, 01:24 PM
OK ! OK ! HULSHOT , If your gonna do it anyway while you will have all this time on your hands start weight training your right arm that way you wont hurt it while waxing my boat .If you do a really really good job I might let you ride at shasta in my RIDE TO CLAIM THE TITLE from Robbie Racer !!!!! hehehe !!!
ROCKIT MAN

hulshot
11-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Hey did Robbie Racer ever get a trophy for KING of SHASTA.
Hey I read in another post that your boat made 1400hp, come on what did the dyno say???. NO juice. If it included the juice I could say I made over 1300hp but we know it is not true. Are you still burning plugs out of it??

Gmoney
11-12-2003, 06:30 PM
All I know is, the fastest single bravo I have ever seen or heard was 149. Maybe you know the owner, Scotty Cannon. It is a 25 ft talon with a 800inch naturally aspirated motor with 2 stages of nitrous. Believe it or not he hasn't even hit the second stage. If you think you have a fast boat, take it to lake Osarks. That's were the big dogs play.

hulshot
11-12-2003, 10:48 PM
Too long of a drive for me and I never claimed to have the fastest single 26 cat. not going to either. I dont have enough money. Hell I only put in the 200 horse kit and gained 10mph. If I were brave I ould put in the 400 kit. Nah.. I think I might have one of the fastest Howard cats, not the fastest but one of them.

Rock-it man
11-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Need Robbies Address PM me !!! The motor I have now was not put on the dyno as there was no time.I said in an old thread that a friends simular motor made 1388 hp but it was for a drag car.I think Im putting out aprox 1100 based on the speed, without NOS she ran 127 at Havasu .Remember I only had the NOS on a few seconds as I did not know what would happen and only did it once it went to 137 real fast after I hit the button.,I now know it would have been fine to run it a little longer and then would have broken 140 mph for sure. Next time Ill be ready and with the new Blower should be 1400 + HP then 145 will be in sight !!!.Will dyno it for sure this time so I will know the proper setup to use. The plugs gave me no futher problems when I went to a colder plug. I dont mind putting more power to it ,the only thing I worry about is the handling at those speeds as no one I can find has been there in the Datona 26,I havent felt any bad habits yet but I have been carefull to run on the flatest water I could find and have been raising the speed in 5 mph increments on each run so I know what to expect and have a margin of safety
ROCKIT MAN

BADBLOWN572
11-13-2003, 02:43 PM
Rocket, it sounds like you could pick up a couple more mph if you ran the boat on some chop. My cat (Carrera) runs the fastest with approx. 1' worth of wind chop and running into the wind. If you are on glass, you have too much friction on the bottom. The chop breaks up the friction and allows the boat to get farther out of the water. If I run the boat on glass I will run right at 100. In the right amount of chop I will see close to 110. That was in the summer. If you try to run it in chop during February you will probably get to your goal as is. I can run 6mph faster during the winter than I can during the summer.

Robbie Racer
11-14-2003, 08:19 AM
Hey Don, if you don't have your new ride by the next Shasta get together, you can ride with me and you won't have to wax the boat. :D
Rocket, check your PM's. I sent you my address so you can have that big trophy shipped to me. Hurry up will you? I want to enjoy it for awhile before I might have to give it back to you next season. ;)
Gmoney, I hadn't heard about Scotty's boat hitting 149 mph. That is awesome. It probably doesn't seem all that fast to him after piloting his funny car to 300+. :eek:
BB, my Carrera likes the same type of water as yours. In fact, if I can get 6" of chop it runs pretty good and won't porpoise. What number on your Bluewater indicator do you find works best for you with 1' of chop running into the wind? My boat likes number 7 (of 8) in those condidtions. R/R

BADBLOWN572
11-14-2003, 08:34 AM
That is about right on mine too. I think that I am somewhere between 6-7 though. At about 8 I can feel the prop start to cavitate. Normally, if I am running hard, not trying to get the best #'s out of the boat that I can, just out looking for a good time, I will run the boat about 5 or so. At 6-7 it can get a little squirley. Besides I only get 2-3 mph out of it between a trim difference of 5-7. I have also backed my motor down recently. I was getting tired of blowing stuff up every time I was out. I am running about 102-105 all day long and 110-115 in perfect conditions. No need to keep blowing up parts. I am happy being faster than 90% of the boats out there. If I get beat I give them credit.

Rock-it man
11-14-2003, 11:33 AM
THanks Keith got your PM OH !!!! come on you guys dont you like living in the FAST lane,broken parts is just part of the game !!!!!
Your right my boat does run faster in chop.If the chop was just right I woud make a run in it ,but I just dont know how this boat will handle yet over 140 so being cautious and want the conditions just right ,im thinking at sunrise at havasu before any boats get out there and this time will need at least 3 boats , want one at each end of the run to stop other boats for a min or two and want to make sure the other end is clear as dont want to approach another boat at 145 and hit a wake !!!!!! the other boat close to the end of the run to take a video and pics,my last run the boat felt like it freed up at 137 and need to know how much more it will. I think next year the first looser should at least wax the winners boat hehehe !!!! So !!! ill send some wax with the trophy hehehe !!!!!! Just remember I never get even I GET AHEAD !!!!!!!!!! Its going to be a long winter bench racing ----come on summer hurry up !!!!!!!!!!!! ROCKIT MAN

beached 1
11-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Rock-it man
Riding is not the same as driving !!!!!!and a BAYLINER is just not going to cut it !!!! Less sleep and more work = faster boat !!! hehehe !!! ROCKIT MAN
When is this King of the River event? I'm assuming this take place downtown?
Congrats on your run BTW,
Thanks

Rock-it man
11-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks RD at last someone that knows how to run a video camera will need ya a couple days before the spring heatwave in havasu thats when I plan on making the 145 mph run !!!.The King of the river deal is The Portland Poker Run thats set for July 17,04 The King of Shasta Lake ( 2004 Shasta Cat Attack )was the weekend after labor day in 2003 and will probably be around the same time in 2004 but no set date yet. The Sacramento Shoot Out is the weekend after the Portland Poker run (Sacto 7/23-25/04) so guess ill be on the road a lot this summer !!!! Havent heard when the Spring Heatwave is yet can you believe its only 6 months till then hehehe !!!Im packed and the suitcase is by the door,my wife thinks its a little early still hehehe !!!!! We need some winter events !!!!! ROCKIT MAN

hulshot
11-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Just found a deal on a 805ci asperated motor that made 1500++hp that I will be installing. It made peak power at 6300rpms. I should think that Shasta tropy should be mine now. boy I love bench racing. who is the wax for??

Rock-it man
11-16-2003, 10:13 AM
That sounds like one hell of a motor,whats the compression ,it must be up there to get that kink of power without a blower or its a NOS motor either way better get a better drive for sure !!!!!
Now your talking build that thing up and lets RACE !!!!! Now you and Keith can choose who wants a SPANKING first !!!! hehehe !!!! ROCKIT MAN

hulshot
11-18-2003, 10:01 PM
Rokit I only wish I could afford a motor like that, I did find one but to many mods to make it work. This is all bench racing. did it get the blood flowing just thinking about it?? I think it was 15.8:1 and it does make the power stated above.