PDA

View Full Version : Paging Mbrown (regarding Generator)

LAVEYSABRE575
10-29-2003, 09:04 PM
MBROWN I JUST PURCHASED THE HONDA 2000, IM CURIOUS THE 12 VOLT OUTLET ONLY PUTS OUT 8 AMPS,ON YOUR DCB DO U HAVE A SEPERATE CHARGER HOOKED UP TO YOUR GENERATOR THAT PUTS OUT MORE AMPS.CHRIS OVER AT LAVEY IS RIGGING IT FOR ME. DO U NOTICE A BIG DIFFERENCE WITH THE GENERATOR.....DEREK:cool:

mbrown2
10-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Yes, I have a seperate charger that gets its power from the Honda...The Charger I have is a Xantrex Smart Charger 40, with the optional Monitor....The Smart Charger puts out 40 amps.....I have Odyssey Battery's and I have only had to put the Generator Combo on after running the system for 2+ hours...It has worked good so far...You can get the Xantrex from West Marine, or have Lavey get it cheaper direct...
www.xantrex.com
If you want the ultimate setup with generator.....you might look into the combo (1) twelve volt starting battery, (2) six volt battery wired to give you 12 volts.....The two 6 volts will go 4hrs before you need to run a generator two them....I would have went that way, but I could not afford the additional weight of two 6 volts.
Let me know if you need anymore info...
Mike

LAVEYSABRE575
10-29-2003, 10:20 PM
MIKE I RUN THE 1700S (2). DO YOU STILL HAVE TO CHARGE YOUR BATTERIES AFTER RUNNING YOUR GENERATOR. I HAVE A SLIP AT THE SPRINGS IM TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM HAVING TO PULL THE BOAT OUT EVERY DAY WHEN IM THERE. DOES THE GENERATOR ACTUALLY CHARGE THE BATTERIES BACK UP DURING USE OR DOES IT JUST MAINTAIN THE LEVEL WERE IT WAS STARTED, MY SYSTEM CUTS OUT AT ABOUT 12 VOLTS 14 ON THE GAUGE AND EVERYTHING IS PERFECT..DEREK

mbrown2
10-29-2003, 10:51 PM
If you are running it hard all day, I run the generator for 1-1.5 hours at the end of the day for charging....The smart charger is three stages...a bulk charge to get them to 75%, and then Absortion Charge to get them 100% and a float charge to keep them at 100%.....If I am running the generator during the day, I will just top it off at the end of the day and then run it, while it sits in the slip at the end of the day for 2 hours and this tops off my 1200's after the day....it may take a little longer for the 1700's but you will have enough gas in the 2000.
Also, the 1700's are pretty big....and should last you pretty long...

LAVEYSABRE575
10-29-2003, 11:01 PM
mike thanks for the info the smart charger is that the true charger 40 on there web site? sounds like i need it......derek

Rod-64
10-29-2003, 11:10 PM
39 views....what a bunch of nosey board members.:D :D Lots of Mbrowns.
Not me of course.:D :D

LAVEYSABRE575
10-29-2003, 11:13 PM
if anybody has any other ideas regarding my situation please respond thanks ...derek

mbrown2
10-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Yes, it is the Truecharge 40....check out my gallery for a pic of it...it is right under the middle amp (yellow) on the amp rack...

LAVEYSABRE575
10-31-2003, 07:47 AM
mike do you have the temperature sensor and optional remote panel?.....derek

mbrown2
10-31-2003, 08:40 AM
Just the optional remote panel...not the temp sensor....its easy to adjust the temp selector from the unit.

LAVEYSABRE575
10-31-2003, 08:56 AM
thanks

LAVEYSABRE575
10-31-2003, 02:18 PM
MIKE SORRY FOR ASKING SO MANY QUESTION. THE TRUE CHARGE SYSTEM THAT YOU ARE RUNNING IS THE 40 PLUS OR THE 40I ?

mbrown2
10-31-2003, 02:33 PM
40....the 40i model is for international model that supports 220...
no prob on the questions, let me know if you need anything else.....

mbrown2
10-31-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Mike I'm curious about the storage capacity of the 6 volts vs the 12 volts..
I was always told that the only reason the 6 volts held more amp hrs was becuase they were bigger, and you could get a 12v the to do the same if you were willing to get a bigger battery?
RD
You know RD, I am not sure, and maybe there are others that have a better answer, but you may be right. For example, a guy I met at the Sandbar was running a single 1700 Odyssey or Stinger?? (think they are the same) and he was getting about the same running times equivalent to 6V....now if you had two 1700's, I would think you could probably get the same as the two large 6V's wired to look like 12V..

Havasu_Dreamin
10-31-2003, 02:38 PM
Having seen this topic WAY late or just being totally clueless, what are you running a generator on your DCB for to begin with? I presume it is for the stereo?????? I've seen the pictures of the new Carerra 29 with the generator and that's what made me finally read this thread.

mbrown2
10-31-2003, 02:38 PM
hhhrrrrr hhhhmmmm..
RD
???:D

mbrown2
10-31-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Having seen this topic WAY late or just being totally clueless, what are you running a generator on your DCB for to begin with? I presume it is for the stereo?????? I've seen the pictures of the new Carerra 29 with the generator and that's what made me finally read this thread.
For the Stereo....3000+ watts drains batteries pretty quick...so instead of loading 4 batteries and adding weight to setup (OB's are sensitive to weight), I thought to do two batt's and a generator that is less weight than a 3rd battery.

rivercrazy
10-31-2003, 03:00 PM
RD. What you've heard is pretty much right on.
Those 6V batts are pretty large and very heavy. An equiv sized 12V battery would last just as long. When you wire two 6V in series you get 12V and double the reserve minutes of each 6V. A equiv sized 12V would have just as many reserve minutes.
I run 3 Optima Deep cycles with 1700-1800 watts. I can go at least 3-4 hours at 1/2 volume with some time at 2/3rd. The batteries dont even go down that far. But I re-charge them every night of use with a good quality charger. On my 3rd season with the Optimas with no noticable reduction in performance. And they are the smaller group 24's. I heard they now have Group 31's (a much larger battery). I bet those would be awesome.

mbrown2
10-31-2003, 03:04 PM
Rivercrazy,
I heard your stereo at OP6...it sounded great...I was at least 50ft away and still heard it very good...nice system...the high placement of the mid/highs really help....be nice if my Cat had the same sort of deep gunnels to mount the speakers higher.....

rivercrazy
10-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks Bro. I appreciate it!
Sorry we didn't get the chance to meet on OP6. Next time for sure.
And I saw pics of your stereo. Incrediable. I wouldn't enter a stereo contest with you in the mix! :D
Mounting speakers as high as possible is the best way to go. I just wish my gunnels were deep enough to not only mount speakers there but to also have a full enclosure constructed behind them. My lower speakers do and they have much tighter midbass and can be tolerate more power without distorting.....

ROZ
10-31-2003, 03:52 PM
Mike I'm curious about the storage capacity of the 6 volts vs the 12 volts..
I was always told that the only reason the 6 volts held more amp hrs was becuase they were bigger
RD
The plates inside the battery are thicker...