PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Fuel Tanks

aztommy
10-30-2003, 06:15 AM
I need some advice on how to clean out my gas tanks. They are fiberglassed in and I am getting junk in the fuel lines. Is there and easy fix. I am running a hgi fuel filter and another little on near the carb and still seeing black chunks in fuel.

quiet riot
10-30-2003, 06:37 AM
light a match, j/k. On hard to remove tanks I've used an oil pump that is used to suck the oil from boat engines or an elec fuel pump. Just pumped it out and flushed with a couple gal's of petro.
You might want to think about replacing fuel lines as they do eventually deteriorate and this could be your source of black debri. pull a fuel hose loose and run a swab inside it. If it comes out gunky the hose needs replaced. Any kind of cracking or exterior wear on the fuel hoses should also be a sign to replace them. Check the filler neck and vent hoses also. Use only marine grade hose, not the cheap automotive stuff.
Not sure what the hgi fuel filter is like you are referring to, but a good spin on canister type (oe mercruiser, aftermarket marine, etc) filter is the way to go. Don't use auto type filters as many aren't made to take water in them without rusting out, which is way bad in a boat.
jd

aztommy
10-30-2003, 07:26 AM
thanks for the info I am going to replace the braided lines and see if that does the trick.The fuel filter is a canister type and I think it is in good shape I think the lines are old and will be replaced

flat broke
10-30-2003, 07:49 AM
If after checking/replacing the hoses,youstill have black crap in your fuel, grab a cheapo electric pump like a holley blue and a couple of those clear fuel filters. Connect a filter on the inlet and outlet side of the pump and run the outlet side of the pump back into the fuel fill for the tank. Keep an eye on the filters and change them out once they get gunked up, run the setup some more, and keep going until you have clear filters after running the setup for a while. It would be a good idea to agitate the fuel in the tanks by shaking, stiring, whatever to help break loose any sediment that may be released while on the water. Repeat the whole procedure for the other side and when everything is running clear, put your fuel system back together and enjoy.
Good luck,
Chris

Hallett19
10-31-2003, 10:35 AM
I'm having the same problem with my tanks, I replaced my spin on Napa fuel filter and there was SOOOO much shit in it, brown chunks, what looked like threads of fiberglass :( So today, I siphoned the tanks, attached a rubber hose to my vaccum and vaccumed out the tanks, just with the fuel alone I got alot of sediment out. So I put a new water seperating fuel filter and am replacing the clear one just infront of the carb. I have a question though, my spin on is after the tanks, before the pump, the clear filter is after the pump before the carb, is it ok having the spin on before the pump ?

SSTSleakcraft
11-01-2003, 06:53 AM
That is exasctly how to do it. Spin on canister type filter/water separator before pump, small screen type before carb.

Havasu Hangin'
11-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Hallett19
..I have a question though, my spin on is after the tanks, before the pump, the clear filter is after the pump before the carb, is it ok having the spin on before the pump ?
Your pump is not made to draw, so you are supposed to have any filters after the pump. However, the pump manufacturers will tell you that debris will cause failure. Go figure.
As long as you have good fuel pressure...I would think that's all that matters (I run 2 pumps).

Infomaniac
11-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Best to run a coarse filter before the pump and a fine filter after the pump.
Keeps chunks out of the pump and everything else out of the carbs.

Hallett19
11-01-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Best to run a coarse filter before the pump and a fine filter after the pump.
Keeps chunks out of the pump and everything else out of the carbs.
Perfect, thanks, feels good to know I did something right on my boat !

flat broke
11-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Hallett19
I have a question though, my spin on is after the tanks, before the pump, the clear filter is after the pump before the carb, is it ok having the spin on before the pump ?
Hallet,
Mechanical pumps will pull better than electric units, so if you are running a mechanical you should be fine. You might even be fine with an electric, but I know mechanicals are more forgiving of restrictions between the source and the pump.
I run one separator/filter between each tank and the fuel vavle and have had no fuel problems to date.
Chris