PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to get rid of the fiberglass ichies?

malcolm
10-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Did a bunch of grinding on fiberglass today. What's some ways you've used to get rid of the ichies?

blown428fe
10-30-2003, 06:35 PM
scuff arms with 80 grit then soothe with gasoline.

460rogers
10-30-2003, 07:02 PM
I do a lot of glassing and have found that white vinegar works great to cure itchies I don't like the smell much but it works.

21rayson
10-30-2003, 07:20 PM
anotherthing to rember is to not take a hot shower take a cold one. hot showers will open the pors on your skin and you figure the rest out.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bow Tie Omega
10-30-2003, 07:38 PM
This is what they will tell you/do for you in any ER. After the cold shower, get some 1% hydrocortisone cream and apply liberally to the affected area, as long as you are not allergic of course. Then get some Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and take as directed for seasonal allergies. The hydrocortisone cream is a steroidal anti-inflamatory, meaning it reduces inflamation. The benadryl is an anti-allergy medication. The itching and irritation is basically an allergic reaction that your body is having to the fiberglass. Use these meds as directed on the box and you should notice quite a difference. Good luck...Joe

beached 1
10-30-2003, 07:49 PM
Pat yourself down with baby powder b4 you go out to work on glass.

77charger
10-30-2003, 07:56 PM
I use to spray my arms down with spray deodorant then when i was done workin i shower w/cold water to wash off fiberglass.Always worked well

Squirtcha?
10-30-2003, 08:01 PM
I've heard that wearing nylons on your arms while grinding will help. I didn't do that or any of the other suggestions (other than the cold shower thing) last year when I did a bunch of glassgrindin and was miserable for about 5 days. I was one ornery sumbitch. I'd walk into a room and my kids would disappear. Smart kids.

malcolm
10-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, I'm going to be back at it again tomorrow.
It's not the boat, it's a Frieghtliner hood. :D

Keithb87
10-30-2003, 08:17 PM
:D :D I've allways just soaked it in cider :D :D

sidewound
10-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Maybe you could like wear a long sleeve shirt dude. Or not.
Peace Man:cool:
CESAR

Old Guy
10-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Around here, there are Stores that sell "Safety Supplies" to local industry, or anyone who walks in. They sell "Tyvek" coveralls. They are pretty near air tight. The glass doesn't stick to it at all. They even have little bonnets for covering your head, and booties for your feet. You can get the coveralls with elastic cuffs (recommended). I found out about these AFTER replacing the floor in a boat.
The only bad thing about them is, they are HOT. A lot like a sauna in there.
If you wear one, you will not itch on any part covered.
Around here they cost about $3.80 each. They come in sizes. I recommend BIGGER than you need 'cause it's real warm in there and you need room to move. I always have some on hand for the next nasty job that comes around. If you have an air hose available, a blow job when you're done, before you remove the coverall, and you can wear it again. (Assuming you used a good deoderant)

quiet riot
10-30-2003, 09:19 PM
a blow job when you're done
I always try to get one of these when I'm done, but it doesn't always happen. Will take your mind off the itchies for awhile though.

manuel
10-31-2003, 05:15 AM
I've been told that rubbing it with a wad of pantyhose will pull the fibers out of your skin, last time I only had it on the backs of my hands and took a cigarette lighter and burned off the pieces that I could feel but not see, they act like tiny splinters, none of the hand creams helped but I had some Lanacaine for sunburns and that helped, the wooden boat guys say "if God had wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would of made fiberglass trees"

HOSS
10-31-2003, 05:28 AM
The nylons work. Long sleeves, and a cold shower. The baby powder or spray deodorant I`ve never heard of. Makes since though. These 2 items would fill your pores as to not let fibers get in them. Damn good idea. And always wear a mask. Fiberglass is mostly silicone. When in the lungs it stays there for life. Body cannot dispose nor break it down.

Slick
10-31-2003, 07:42 AM
Lots and lots of baby powder, even under clothes, and cold shower. Works like a charm.

malcolm
10-31-2003, 08:06 AM
More good ideas! We'll see how ichy I am tonite. :)

Cas
10-31-2003, 08:33 AM
only sure way I know of to prevent the itchies, find someone else to do the grinding :rolleyes:

shallow draft
10-31-2003, 08:38 AM
get an aluminum boat

matt1
10-31-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Old Guy
Around here, there are Stores that sell "Safety Supplies" to local industry, or anyone who walks in. They sell "Tyvek" coveralls. They are pretty near air tight. The glass doesn't stick to it at all. They even have little bonnets for covering your head, and booties for your feet. You can get the coveralls with elastic cuffs (recommended). I found out about these AFTER replacing the floor in a boat.
The only bad thing about them is, they are HOT. A lot like a sauna in there.
If you wear one, you will not itch on any part covered.
Around here they cost about $3.80 each. They come in sizes. I recommend BIGGER than you need 'cause it's real warm in there and you need room to move. I always have some on hand for the next nasty job that comes around. If you have an air hose available, a blow job when you're done, before you remove the coverall, and you can wear it again. (Assuming you used a good deoderant) This works great can vouch for the cover alls

youngster
10-31-2003, 10:31 PM
i dont use shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i guess you just get used to it but if it bothers you that much ,...then maybe you should just not wear those silk boxers and change those silk sheets back to cotten like the rest of the normal people do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k all though ive found that no matter what you try to cover up with, you will always irritate your skin more with long sleves and the top buttoned. hell i dont know!.02 todd

Lookin for Liquid
11-01-2003, 09:08 AM
Long sleeve shirt before and cold shower after.

malcolm
11-01-2003, 09:09 AM
Calm down youngster! And take it easy on the exclamations. You can keep the BS posts in the Sandbar.
I wore a long sleeve flannel shirt under my coveralls, and did the baby powder thing on my hands/arms. Almost no ichies today. Thanks guys.

Mandelon
11-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Body surf in the ocean for 30 minutes. Naked if possible. :D

HavasuBarney
11-02-2003, 09:07 AM
I use baby powder often but sometimes I just forget.
Older glass doesn't bother me a bit anymore but new glass can be a bitch.
If you do get glass on you, just lay down in the tub and have friends and neighbors come over and urinate on you. Won't do shit for you but I'm sure the neighbors will get a kick out of it. :D

TRG
11-02-2003, 04:25 PM
please!! it'll take just a bit more than "malcom" (a northwest spectra nut) to calm me down!!!lmfao!!

malcolm
11-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Look out, you forgot to change screen names, oooopps!

TRG
11-03-2003, 04:10 PM
i guess i can thank "HOT BOAT" for their web "upgrades" for that lil' mix-up! still cannot get rid of old riggers avitar though? tizzodd

napabob
02-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Malcolm,
Try this type of helpful site.
http://www.sustainableenterprises.com/fin/Health/getbetter.htm

TexasJet
02-03-2004, 04:51 AM
Malcolm, I didn't post this right away because I had to do some additional research. Here is the way to get rid of the itchies: Fill a bathtub full of whole milk, not skim or 2%. The milk must be 36 Deg. F, not 35 or 37. Get in the tub and stay in for 10 minutes. I guarentee when you get out of the tub you will not itch. Or my name isn't TexasJet.;)

565edge
02-03-2004, 05:33 AM
Well this is for hbjet only.Sit in a HOT TUB!

CrdStang
02-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I did all the grinding my boat (lots!) wearing jeans, a tucked in T-shirt, and a sweat shirt with a hood. I also wore mechanix gloves with the sweat shirt sleeves tucked into the back of the gloves.
I used a "Hooka" mask. It's a full face diving mask you hook up to your air compressor. The compressed air coming in keeps your face cool and stops the glass from fogging up. (Note: must use an oil-less air compressor. Breathing oil vapor will kill you.)
It makes the job a lot less miserable not having to breathe through a clogged up particulate filter.

Roostertail
02-03-2004, 12:51 PM
This will help!! Get in a cold shower first to was off any fiberglass dust. Then turn the water on warm to hot and open up the pores, then back to cold. This will wash outy the pores. This does work. I use to install fiberglass insulation and it does work.

malcolm
02-04-2004, 07:24 AM
I just noticed my old post was renewed. I'm not doing any more glass right away, but the next time I'll be ready for it. :D

TopCat
02-06-2004, 09:01 PM
I've found that if you cover yourself the best you can within reason no need to mummify yourself and before you start cover yourself with as much talcum power as you can then when youre done take a cool shower so your pores dont open up and you end up with nomore ichies the power stops the fiberglass from getting in your pores and even sticking to you it works really:D

TopCat
02-06-2004, 09:05 PM
I mean POWDER:rolleyes:

fullwood
02-06-2004, 09:35 PM
maybe you could look through your purse and find some calomine lotion, or maybe you could suck it up and take it like a man.

TopCat
02-06-2004, 10:30 PM
You suck on it I'm sorry i meant you suck.......it up You sound like you've had experience :p is this you sucking it.........up

malcolm
02-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Pretty harsh there fullwood. Not even a smilie guy at the end. :eek:
What part of WA is that?

fullwood
02-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Southeast, bring it we are always looking for slow glass boats to play with!

WETDAWG
02-08-2004, 10:00 PM
BEERBEER ;)

malcolm
02-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Where do you run down there? I tried out Moses last summer.

fullwood
02-09-2004, 08:29 PM
the Snake River out of lewiston up river south. come on down!! Is there really alot of fast boats out of moses lake i hear about them from some poeple but others say no.

MANIC MECHANIC
02-09-2004, 08:37 PM
The keyword here isviniger!
Although I found an old mining ventilation fan that moves 10,000
cubic feet per min. Bought some wire reinforced 2' hose and sucked most of the glass dust out the back of the shop!
Tim

malcolm
02-14-2004, 09:38 AM
I know of at least one fast boat out at Moses (no, it's not me). We should be there sometime after the 4th of July this summer.

Captain no fun
07-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Actually Malcolm, I used to work @ LeClercq Marine during the 48'-54' high speed seiner craze in the 80's. Y'now what we did? We would wipe down with Acetone. It disolves the splinters, use a clean rag. Don't do it too often Acetone is TOUGH on the Liver!

malcolm
07-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Here's an old thread!
Actually, I tried the baby powder thing and it worked really good. I was working on a Frieghtliner hood still on the truck, so the dust was getting everywhere!

WUTWZAT
07-04-2005, 09:19 PM
See if you can get someone to piss on you, I dunno if that'll help but it'll give you something to do while your itching. Maybe they'll thing think your just some kind of weirdo crack head, running around itching looking for a golden shower.
Jason

Captain no fun
07-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Now that's funny!